Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spotlights

Options
  • 12-09-2019 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭

Lads looking to get a set of spotlights on the 1290, the powerparts KTM ones look very generic and small and are pricey for what they are.

I want them to be white lights (dont like yellow spots and white running lights and vice versa, its jst me being anal) and have to be LED not old school filament that I am changing every 2 weeks.

Ideally they would have a high and low beam (not a deal breaker) and would have a separate switch on the handlebars to turn on and off independently.

I have seen a set on you tube made by "clearwater" but not sure if any good, also Denali seem to be bandied about a fair bit.....

Anyone who has a good set please post up and give me your input especially aftermarket ones....or advice on which sets to get. Really dont wanna do down the whole china import route as that is very hit and miss I think....?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Are you planning some off-road night riding......????......the chinese ones are great..i bought 4 sets ,cheap as chips.....really bright...and tbh theyre producing brighter/better ones all the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I met a guy in Galway with the Clearwater ones and they are impressive.

There's an on/off switch on the bars AND when on, they run at 50% brightness on Dim and go to 100% brightness on Main beam. They also go to 100% on flash as well. And (!), the switch is also a dimmer control to set the lower brightness level.

Not cheap, but if you buy them once and even if you sell your bike, keep them for your new one, then they're a 10yr purchase so not so expensive then.

Seen the Denali and they look good too.

Am on the fence myself, but need to make up my mind.

Fwiw, if you go into your local truck, tractor dealer or farmers Co-Op they have loads for sale at yl reasonable prices. Just another angle to consider.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭dorannoel

I had a set off these on my last bike 3500LM Cree Led Light,
    Their where savage did hi &low lights very good light out off then at night too,

http://2allbuyer.com/3500LM-Cree-Led-Light-x2Switch-P4307179.aspx

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Lads looking to get a set of spotlights on the 1290, the powerparts KTM ones look very generic and small and are pricey for what they are.

I want them to be white lights (dont like yellow spots and white running lights and vice versa, its jst me being anal) and have to be LED not old school filament that I am changing every 2 weeks.

Ideally they would have a high and low beam (not a deal breaker) and would have a separate switch on the handlebars to turn on and off independently.

I have seen a set on you tube made by "clearwater" but not sure if any good, also Denali seem to be bandied about a fair bit.....

Anyone who has a good set please post up and give me your input especially aftermarket ones....or advice on which sets to get. Really dont wanna do down the whole china import route as that is very hit and miss I think....?!

I'm telling ya: Google has ears, this "ad" popped up in my feed today : https://ruggedroads.co.uk/epages/00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=%2FShops%2F00cbb604-5d1c-407e-8207-580e14387ec5%2FProducts%2FRRDNQT.D2.10000&fbclid=IwAR2hJrCIPRX1LH_GZdnFh04fURNFiryDBEatQJj86H0oRE9U-sK9GMupfqw

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Fitted 5 sets of axillary lights to mine and mates bikes. Finished installing them on a super ten last night in fact.

I will only use cheap chinky lights. On principle i pay no more than 100 quid on...

Switched loom
    Brackets
    Lights themselves. (2 sets)

Ideal zone seems to be 15 w a side and 6500k colour temp. Design thereafter is whatever tickles yer fancy but i tend to dismantle em and seal with loctite flange sealant which stops the principal cause of failure.
    I buy two sets and wire em with delphi weather pack knock offs and have the spare set done too in case they sh1t the bed.
    None have sh1t the bed btw. More power to ye boys spending big but I'm yet to be taught a lesson on spending small on em:)

• Advertisement

Oh and fer fecks sake back up ten m from a wall and aim them lower than your dipped and keep them within the dip spread. Amount of muppets with them fitted without aiming and blinding folks is mad.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Fitted 5 sets of axillary lights to mine and mates bikes. Finished installing them on a super ten last night in fact.

I will only use cheap chinky lights. On principle i pay no more than 100 quid on...

Switched loom
    Brackets
    Lights themselves. (2 sets)

Ideal zone seems to be 15 w a side and 6500k colour temp. Design thereafter is whatever tickles yer fancy but i tend to dismantle em and seal with loctite flange sealant which stops the principal cause of failure.
    I buy two sets and wire em with delphi weather pack knock offs and have the spare set done too in case they sh1t the bed.
    None have sh1t the bed btw. More power to ye boys spending big but I'm yet to be taught a lesson on spending small on em:)

Got a link ??

Ode To The Motorist

Might just mention another common failure point in relation tapping into switched live.

Me i trace tge side light back to its first plug and pull the pin out. I bare some 7 or so mm of wire with a strippers and use a pin to seperate tge strands apart to make a hole.
    I then put my tap wire into the hole and wrap around both sides. Solder if thats yer bag, silicone it and heat shrink, reinstall pin.

20190912-212147.jpg

20190912-212700.jpg
    20190912-213445.jpg

20190912-213935.jpg
    Dont use those bladed splicing jobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Are you planning some off-road night riding......????......the chinese ones are great..i bought 4 sets ,cheap as chips.....really bright...and tbh theyre producing brighter/better ones all the time...

No off road riding just for extra visibility for when I am out and about and will be touring in the new year. Cannot have enough visibility when on a motorbike...

• Advertisement

The switch for the handlebars does not look waterproof at all....have you had any problems with the switch gear failing?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭blade1

The switch for the handlebars does not look waterproof at all....have you had any problems with the switch gear failing?

You'd want to make sure where the wires go into the light housing is waterproof.
    I've seen plenty that weren't.

any problems with the switch gear failing?

Nope buddy, works great!;)

TBH I am gonna have to get the garage I bought the bike from to fit the feckin things to keep the warranty in tact. Any kind of errors at all (KTMs are know for going haywire if anything is even added that adjusts power draw, was it grumpy wiz off here had a horrid time after taking of the standard horn for a new one)

So it will cost me about 100 euro to get them fitted.

So just need to finalise a good set.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CANBUS (or Can't-Bus as I call it) is a bunch of fooking ****.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

TBH I am gonna have to get the garage I bought the bike from to fit the feckin things to keep the warranty in tact. Any kind of errors at all (KTMs are know for going haywire if anything is even added that adjusts power draw, was it grumpy wiz off here had a horrid time after taking of the standard horn for a new one)

So it will cost me about 100 euro to get them fitted.

So just need to finalise a good set.

Go with the KTM ones then. I got the KTM ones fitted to my SMT by M50 and they only charged for an hours labour, took 2 of them the whole day to fit. One of them blew a few days later and got it replaced. Light was a slightly different colour so got the other replaced to match it. Turn up with your own lights and anything goes wrong with them they can walk away.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Go with the KTM ones then. I got the KTM ones fitted to my SMT by M50 and they only charged for an hours labour, took 2 of them the whole day to fit. One of them blew a few days later and got it replaced. Light was a slightly different colour so got the other replaced to match it. Turn up with your own lights and anything goes wrong with them they can walk away.

No way am I paying 550 euro for the ktm spots fitted, that's just silly money. I have seen the light up close and they are average at best. I know where you are coming from with them going faulty but I can get a high end set of lights for 170 US dollars and 150 to fit.

No way am I paying 550 euro for the ktm spots fitted, that's just silly money. I have seen the light up close and they are average at best. I know where you are coming from with them going faulty but I can get a high end set of lights for 170 US dollars and 150 to fit.

Bring them to me and I'll fit them for a ton. Be the tidiest install you'll get;):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Bring them to me and I'll fit them for a ton. Be the tidiest install you'll get;):eek:

Make sure you keep the receipt wonda XD

• Advertisement

zubair wrote: »
    Make sure you keep the receipt wonda XD

Tis all cash boss and no receipts :pac:

Can I see your fetac level 5 FAS installation certificate 1st please!!!!

LOL,

Cheers I keep it in mind.

If i were a smart ass I'd say the two who took a whole day to fit Del's in m50 probably had the fetac.....actually i just said it! so yep I'm a smart arse:D

Does these lights you're having fitted come with a loom with relay?

As was posted already, a mate of mine had these on a Tiger 1050 sport and they were really good. Nice colour and switchable high and low beam, only thing was the switch gear for the handle bars was cheap as **** so would have to get a new one.

So Id prolly get a set of these....good value for money. If I had a 2nd hand bike with no warranty to think of id be over to you like a shot mate.

https://2allbuyer.com/3500LM-Cree-Led-Light-x2Switch-P4307179.aspx

As was posted already, a mate of mine had these on a Tiger 1050 sport and they were really good. Nice colour and switchable high and low beam, only thing was the switch gear for the handle bars was cheap as **** so would have to get a new one.

So Id prolly get a set of these....good value for money. If I had a 2nd hand bike with no warranty to think of id be over to you like a shot mate.

https://2allbuyer.com/3500LM-Cree-Led-Light-x2Switch-P4307179.aspx

Want me tuppence buddy?
    36w a side is hefty, or correction, it seems that way to me. Lumen output figures are gaga from seller to seller but for comparative purposes the below is 18w a side consisting of 6 x 3w cree leds per unit "rated" at 1600 lumens. So yours will be x 2 times "brighter".
    20170917-185036.jpg
    These were about 30gbp from a UK seller and are on the bike +2yrs without issue in all weather. Myself, i would consider anything brighter a liability even when aimed but that subjective i suppose. That and yours are switchable, which mine aint.

At twice the total output yours will need to be a narrow beam spread and careful aiming would be advised.

If your concerned about labour costs then id consider a loom wonda. That kit requires a fair bit of set up! If I was a mech (which i aint!) I'd groan if i opened the box with all that in. If your worried about a waterproof switch they can be bought separately and wired in but tbh most arent, they are simple units.

If i was the type to try and prove a point i would likely find those exact units listed for small beans on thier own. In this arena unless buying brand name (denali etc) do not take comfort by buying something "reassuringly expensive".

All the above waffle aside, I'm sure they will be the dogs when fitted (correctly):)

All input is greatly appreciated, so any kit I get deffo have a loom as part of the kit? I know you listed kits before but are there any complete sets (preferably with high and low beam) that you recommend?

I know these are pricey but they look the part and serious tech in there too....

https://denalielectronics.com/collections/led-driving-lights/products/dnl-d4-10000

I will get a decent looking switch seperate, I hate the cheap looking ones I really do.

All input is greatly appreciated, so any kit I get deffo have a loom as part of the kit? I know you listed kits before but are there any complete sets (preferably with high and low beam) that you recommend?

I know these are pricey but they look the part and serious tech in there too....

https://denalielectronics.com/collections/led-driving-lights/products/dnl-d4-10000

I will get a decent looking switch seperate, I hate the cheap looking ones I really do.

Not to my knowledge but I'm sure they're out there. My bug bear is this domain is rife with stick a decal on it and upsell by 150% and it's worse when they start bundling lights with any old sh1te to mark the bejaysus up price wise.
    These are switchable high, lower, and strobe and its not done with additional wires or relays. Its turn on you get brighest, turn off and on and you get dimmer and again for strobe.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2Pcs-125W-CREE-U5-LED-Headlight-Motorcycle-Driving-Fog-Spot-Bulb-Light-amp-Switch-/153595372375?txnId=1910440100005#vi__app-cvip-panel
    They are plenty bright and quite focused so spot, not flood.

Now if Im yer man in ktm m50 with my fetac ;) and im handed those lights and this ready to rock loom
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Complete-Fog-Spot-Light-Wiring-Loom-Harness-Switch-Kit-for-Motorbikes/401027320987?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5d5f174c9b:g:-2cAAOSwGiRboLqS
    Im a happy man as the work is done for me and all i have to do is, figure the routing, tap a switched live, tidy the wires, wire the waterproof connectors, mount the lights, final tidy ensuring lock to lock unhindered and aim.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-Motorcycle-Handlebar-Headlight-Fog-Spot-Light-On-Off-Switch-Waterproof/392296496459?epid=26024171903&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item5b56b17d4b:g:ATYAAOSwQvhdiEXB
    Oh and another fove mins to make you happy soldering in the above:)

Just picking over those denali's ya linked and yeah theyre sweet as. Fook it i often spend 1000's of euros on one off brake and suspension set ups for bikes where other owners insist the oem equipment is grand. If thats what ye want and you have the readies then buy em!
    Maybe do some research to see is there a slightly budget equivalent (read knock off) that has decent qc in the factory they're made. Betcha that exists, a middle ground like.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

Been using those for 3 years, last 12 months all weather commuting and they are still alive, cheap as chips and easy to fit, I also have a set of 25mm drl's fitted so have the 4 lights on a relay.
    When I first fitted these I did notice cars pulled out from junctions a lot less than before - you know when your driving along and see the car slow down and they are trying to decide if they have the time to pull out in front of you, and they do pull out but force you to brake !!! ****ers :mad:
    Recently I also fitted a 6 led light bar (spot) wired to the headlight, I now find night time riding a lot easier with much better lights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement