Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UL GEM 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lub

Everyone who applied should have received the CAO documents along with the change of mind forms, Rainbow. Degrees aren't shown on the list, just Leaving Cert/GCSE and a few other bits and bobs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

Lub wrote: »
    Everyone who applied should have received the CAO documents along with the change of mind forms, Rainbow. Degrees aren't shown on the list, just Leaving Cert/GCSE and a few other bits and bobs. :)

Thank you for your reply! I was wondering for Irish students if our JC results should be included on that form?

Nope, JC results wouldn't be included at all because they don't influence third level entry.

In other news, I'm so sick of waiting for September to roll around! I can't wait to get started and meet some new people. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

Hi guys I know RCSI specifically prepares students for the USMLE. Does UL do the same?

Lub wrote: »
    Nope, JC results wouldn't be included at all because they don't influence third level entry.

In other news, I'm so sick of waiting for September to roll around! I can't wait to get started and meet some new people. :D

I am just trying to make it through this month and then hopefully I will be in the same boat as you :))))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

Hi everyone, my Leaving Cert results weren't included..should they be?? Also feeling the pain of waiting for results day!!

Ballet17 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, my Leaving Cert results weren't included..should they be?? Also feeling the pain of waiting for results day!!

I am not too sure but it wouldn't do any harm to ring them and ask. Did you include your exam number when you filled out your CAO?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Ballet17

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    I am not too sure but it wouldn't do any harm to ring them and ask. Did you include your exam number when you filled out your CAO?

Hiya, I emailed the cao about the inclusion of leaving cert info and got this response

"If you are applying for Graduate Medicine courses
    only, then only your GAMSAT results and original
    transcripts of your primary Level 8 Honours Degree
    and proof of conferring (if already taken) need to
    be sent in to CAO, Eglinton Street, Galway, as
    exams such as Leaving Cert/FETAC and/or GCE are
    not taken into account."

They have my transcripts etc from my degree so i think I should be ok?
    Now to continue this wait for results....best of luck to everyone else in the same boat! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ULMedsoc

Hi guys I know RCSI specifically prepares students for the USMLE. Does UL do the same?

We do offer a USMLE prep course in second year, which you can chose to do.

I demonstrate at a university and recently I had to give a tutorial on a man who presented with symptoms of an enlarged prostate. So the students were provided with a list of possible diagnoses and had to work through the given information in order to recommend courses of treatment and the likes. I was just wondering if this is the structure of PBL in UL?

This sounds similar to our PBL program. Each week you are presented with a case and work through it, generating unknowns and learning objectives from the case. You then report back later in the week and present the information you have learned in a small group setting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cymini Sectores

ULMedsoc wrote: »
    We do offer a USMLE prep course in second year, which you can chose to do.

Thanks, this is good news. Just read it somewhere else as well.

ULMedsoc wrote: »
    This sounds similar to our PBL program. Each week you are presented with a case and work through it, generating unknowns and learning objectives from the case. You then report back later in the week and present the information you have learned in a small group setting.

Thanks for confirming.

I hope those of you waiting on GAMSAT results are happy. And I certainly hope I will be seeing you in Sep!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Poppy1314

Hi everyone, possibly looking at UL for this September :) I am a bit concerned about this course and PBL approach as I come from a non-science background, just wondering if anybody knows how non science students tend to get on in this course?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Will more than likely be in UL come September! Ditto the sentiments of Poppy above regarding the PBL. Also has a fb group been set up yet? I see the UCD'ers are on the ball there!

It would be great to get a fb page going. I noticed there's a page already set up but I'm assuming it's for people who have already accepted offers (so far internationals?)

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Oh yes I see that now. Are we tempting faith if we join? Im on 55?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭supraspinaswim

Ive got a question mainly concerning Ulster Bank and getting additional funds for accommodation. Has anyone - this is to ULMedsoc, managed to get additional funding on top of the fees loan to pay for accomm and other stuff ?

Its that part of getting the dough together to make sure ive somewhere to stay for 4 years. No point having the course and camping in a tent :D.

Well done to those of you who got your scores! :D
    trendy88 wrote: »
    Oh yes I see that now. Are we tempting faith if we join? Im on 55?

Oh dear, don't say that! I'm also sitting on a 55 and from everything I've heard I think we're okay! Last year everyone with a score of 53+ was accepted in round 0, and I've seen a few people say that applicants have dropped this year, so I think we're safe enough. :)

I'd also love to know what to expect. What will the first few weeks be like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭IrishSkyBoxer

There were students in first year this year with 51 and person with 50 started a few weeks in to the programme. a good chunk dropped out during the first few weeks, about ten or fifteen

• Advertisement

a good chunk dropped out during the first few weeks, about ten or fifteen

Would this be mainly due to being unable to acquire the loan?

no, due to the workload

There were students in first year this year with 51 and person with 50 started a few weeks in to the programme. a good chunk dropped out during the first few weeks, about ten or fifteen

At the risk of sounding rude, do you think it is due to low GAMSAT scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 person78

I got 51 and I'd given up all hope. Are you absolutely sure people got in on that score? It'd be great news if you are!

At the risk of sounding rude, do you think it is due to low GAMSAT scores?

Almost certainly plays a part. People need to be more aware of what a good gamsat score is and there is a reason UK schools set cut off points for entry and miminum section three scores. In saying that, GAMSAT has absolutely no relevance to the material studied. But there is probably a correlation between getting a low gamsat score and failing out. UL medical degree is particularly hard with a high attrition rate. Weaker candidates who may not pass UL degree would probably pass in a programme like UCD.
    person78 wrote: »
    I got 51 and I'd given up all hope. Are you absolutely sure people got in on that score? It'd be great news if you are!

Yeah fairly sure. Nobody has the money to pay for this thing anymore so you could get lucky in second or third round.

Is there anyone who can shed some light on the PBL aspect of the course?

Hi I can confirm that 10/15 people did not drop out this year. I think as per the CAO website, the minimum entry was 53. No one new entered the course throughout the year as it is too much to catch up on, even after the first week.

Will more than likely be in UL come September! Ditto the sentiments of Poppy above regarding the PBL. Also has a fb group been set up yet? I see the UCD'ers are on the ball there!

Hi there is no need to worry about being from a non-science background - after the first year or two, you wouldn't even notice the difference between those with Science degrees and those with Business degrees.
    The PBL aspect of the course is great, you are given a 'paper case' at the start of the week (Tuesday for First years). Each PBL has three tutorial, you come up with learning objectives yourselves, a tutor is there to facilitate and guide you with this process. You then read up and learn your objectives and present them at the next tutorial, you are then given more information about the patient and the process repeats itself again. To complement this, you are given 'mini cases' which complement the case as well. There may or may not be several lectures throughout the week, which should complement the case and direct you in your learning. Is there anything else you would like to know?

Poppy1314 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, possibly looking at UL for this September :) I am a bit concerned about this course and PBL approach as I come from a non-science background, just wondering if anybody knows how non science students tend to get on in this course?

Hi please see my last message, is there anything else I can help you with?

Ive got a question mainly concerning Ulster Bank and getting additional funds for accommodation. Has anyone - this is to ULMedsoc, managed to get additional funding on top of the fees loan to pay for accomm and other stuff ?

Its that part of getting the dough together to make sure ive somewhere to stay for 4 years. No point having the course and camping in a tent :D.

Hi there is a scholarship available for certain eligible students - it is on the UL GEMS website and you should apply for this if you think you are eligible. Im not overtly familiar with all the ins and outs of the loans but there is a LOVELY lady named Grainne who works in the Ulster Bank on campus, you should contact her and she will tell you everything. I have also heard of people getting loans from AIB and their Credit Unions, BOI also offer one as well. Unfortunately the loan scheme has been reduced to 60000 from 100000 and this is only for fees covering. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Hi yes there has been a Facebook set up for those who have received their offers so at the moment it is mainly Canadians as they received their offers at the start of this month. If you think you'll get in, then please join!! Its basically and Q and A forum at the moment! :)

Advertisement