Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I a currently installing the new Abbey Road drums!

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Nice tune Chris,

Sounds like a winner to me.

Hey thanks a LOT!

Wanna record some demos.... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Just had a listen there, not really my thing I'm afraid to say.

Is the reverb still cranked on the drums? I'm with Yoda on them sounding far too flat for the type of song it is. The guitars are very messy, but the drums would make a huge difference there I'd imagine. Lovely voice, some wierd things going on at some points throughout the song though, tonal shifts and such, could it be comping from different takes?

Anyway, no need to take my opinion too seriously, as I say, its not something I'd usually listen to.

Ian

Just had a listen there, not really my thing I'm afraid to say.

Is the reverb still cranked on the drums? I'm with Yoda on them sounding far too flat for the type of song it is. The guitars are very messy, but the drums would make a huge difference there I'd imagine. Lovely voice, some wierd things going on at some points throughout the song though, tonal shifts and such, could it be comping from different takes?

Anyway, no need to take my opinion too seriously, as I say, its not something I'd usually listen to.

Ian

hey Ian,

thanks for the feedback, seriously!

A lot of these issues will be fixed with a proper mix... Plus the middle section is not vaguely finished!

I agree about the drums, though I am happy with the actual parts,more or less...

I'll DEF re-read this before my next session.

Oh and I actually really like the sloppy guitar. It contrasts nicely with the progammy feel of the rest I think.

I'll post a more completed version later this week and would love to hear if you think I've addressed any of your issues.

Quite Sincerely,
    Chris

oh one more thing - the chorus vox and verse vox are intentially produced differently. It's a bit out there, but I think it might suit this song... Anyway, we'll see... Thanks again!

---

To everyone else, isn't the music production part of the board the best place on boards.ie.

I love it in here... Just wish it was a bit more active. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Hey guys, just posted a new version with (TEMP) chorus vox and a first run at the chorus drums.

Let me know what you think... if you want.

Remember, this isn't a final mix or anything... and it's just me and a singer in my kitchen, but....

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/eil-r4d10-mix

and a prize to the first person that can tell me what TCA-MMT is all about...

Actually, quite happy with the way this is headed - I wonder if Enya would sell me that castle....

:P

--

Changed the link to an even newer versions. OCDME

sound like Cat Stevens WILD WORLD at the start.
    close enough to be worrisome.
    ( given the "men at work" Down under debacle )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHXpnZi9Hzs

• Advertisement

DaDumTish wrote: »
    sound like Cat Stevens WILD WORLD at the start.
    close enough to be worrisome.
    ( given the "men at work" Down under debacle )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHXpnZi9Hzs

That is bizaare.

I'd never get that, but I'll listen again...

Weird.

its debateable - agree- but there are similaritys

would you see a similarity between these ?
    in terms of the overall feel and second verse of this

second verse of this at 055
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpprOGsLWUo

to first verse of this 016 ?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNmYcz-ULF0

i think there is a similarity there thats apparent.

So I checked and while you do hear a similarity I'm not worried at all. Here's why:

what you are hearing is a similar interval, but only for the first four chords.

And that similar intreval is in, literally hundreds of songs (songs like smells like teen spirit and more than a feeling).

So only the first 4 of 7 follow the same pattern (though they are different chords).

And the melody is wildly different.

They're at very different tempos, have very differen arrangements, etc etc.

I see the comparison, to a point, but they're massively different in a lot more ways then they are similar.

Not worried at all :)

amazing cacth though! Like I said I never wouldve thought of that.

The other thing I'd say about this is that the standard for deeming things to be identical has completely dropped over the years.

Look at one chord change C, D, G.

That is:

knocking on heavens door
    sweet home Alabama
    the sweater song
    closer to fine
    paradise city

and that's off the top of my head.

Popular music is full of clones, partial clones, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭ludwit

@MilanPan!c

I like the non-soundcloud mix better. But like the 2 of your tunes I've heard so far.

• Advertisement

ludwit wrote: »
    @MilanPan!c

I like the non-soundcloud mix better. But like the 2 of your tunes I've heard so far.

Cool man, thanks.

I'll go relisten to that mix an try and make a best of both worlds ver.

This really was a non-mix, mix.

Trust me, I have dozens of hours more work to do before this puppy will be heard anywhere vaguely public.

Btw, what did you like better, so I can listen for it?

Thanks again!

Chris

Didn't like the gap and preferred the vocal level on the first mix in the intro. Preferred the drums also.

Didn't like the gap and preferred the vocal level on the first mix in the intro. Preferred the drums also.

So keeping the first verse more straight and the simpler chorus drums... Hmmmm.... Hmmmm....

I'll think about that.... There was always an in joke that this song was a long series of 'tricks'. I think this last mix amplified those tendencies.

Maybe I'll make a tricky mix and a straight mix and let people fight it out.

Thanks for the clarification and taking the time to seriously feedback... Do you have a band?

No I don't, learning how to make music at the moment, using Addictive drums, was interesed to read about Abby road studio.

No I don't, learning how to make music at the moment, using Addictive drums, was interesed to read about Abby road studio.

Cool!

Well AR drums are great... I've barely scratched the surface.

The kit used on this track is the full vintage kit.

I may try switching to the modern kit for the next mix...

:)

PM me when you have a finished song... Love to hear it!

the melody at the start is not wildly different , and chords mean nothing in most cases - melody is everything .

im just pointing out the potential exists , you cant catch every song - but this one is a fairly well known number so it hit me straight away .

( comes form being an old showband drummer who had to know thouasnds of tunes )

DaDumTish wrote: »
    the melody at the start is not wildly different , and chords mean nothing in most cases - melody is everything .

im just pointing out the potential exists , you cant catch every song - but this one is a fairly well known number so it hit me straight away .

( comes form being an old showband drummer who had to know thouasnds of tunes )

Well, I guess we'll have to disagree about the melody...

:P

I do appreciate the heads up though, like I said, it never would've occurred to me.

Here's a newer version with better drums... I think they're better... this is the AR Late 60s (FULL) Kit with NO ROOM, 25% Stereo OH (mid spread) and 40% Mono OH. + the Direct Mics - Mixed with a small amount of the full Early 60's kit, just direct mics.

Sounds like a lot, but really, it's just adding some tone and presence.

Feedback welcome, but really this is just showing a different side of the drums for the curious.

VVV Look Down for newer version VVV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

Hi Chris,

Nice drumming. Are you programming the drums or using a kit to trigger the Abbey Road samples?

Hi Chris,

Nice drumming. Are you programming the drums or using a kit to trigger the Abbey Road samples?

That's a huge compliment.

The answer:
    Programmed.

Drum programming is something I've always felt I struggled with.... Finally feel I'm getting there.

I used to program drums like a five armed drummer. :)

thanks again man, much appreciated... I guess I'm a closet drummer.

• Advertisement

Latest and greatest (now you really see how I roll):

http://soundcloud.com/the-riot-tapes/everything-is-local-dont-ask-mix

This is a total breakthrough mix.. no, it ain't done, but it's getting there...

And I AM listening ... keep the comments and PMs coming!

Quite excited as I totally stumbled on something great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭tubedude

Can I ask you guys who are using the abbey road drums with kontakt what way you are using it exactly?
    I'm new to Kontakt, and trying to get to grips with it. Is there a way to set it up so you can have each part of the kit coming out onto there own tracks in your host?
    As opposed to the stereo out of the whole kit from kontakt. Apart from having separate instances of the plug in on each track?
    Is there a way to process the individual parts of the kit withing kontakt even?
    As far as I can tell, I can only apply the effects to the whole bus.
    Any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Rockshamrover

tubedude wrote: »
    Can I ask you guys who are using the abbey road drums with kontakt what way you are using it exactly?
    I'm new to Kontakt, and trying to get to grips with it. Is there a way to set it up so you can have each part of the kit coming out onto there own tracks in your host?
    As opposed to the stereo out of the whole kit from kontakt. Apart from having separate instances of the plug in on each track?
    Is there a way to process the individual parts of the kit withing kontakt even?
    As far as I can tell, I can only apply the effects to the whole bus.
    Any help?

See below. This shows how to multi out on Kontakt, not specifically for Abbey Road but I imagine the process is much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32-P9vLyXs

Here's another for Slate drums in Logic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROCGKsW62YA

See below. This shows how to multi out on Kontakt, not specifically for Abbey Road but I imagine the process is much the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n32-P9vLyXs

Here's another for Slate drums in Logic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROCGKsW62YA

Beat me to it.

Totally possisble as described.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Futureadvocate

I just got 60's drums the other day and i downloaded the free Kontakt player.

Can anything be done about the room sound? It's very nice sounding but its a little big for my tastes.
    Are the editing parameters limited with the free Kontakt player?

Also does it take anybody else a few minutes to load one of the kits in the player or have i installed it incorrectly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Can anything be done about the room sound? It's very nice sounding but

Is that not the point ?

I just got 60's drums the other day and i downloaded the free Kontakt player.

Can anything be done about the room sound? It's very nice sounding but its a little big for my tastes.
    Are the editing parameters limited with the free Kontakt player?

Also does it take anybody else a few minutes to load one of the kits in the player or have i installed it incorrectly?

They take a while to load... The lite ones take less time... Never used free player. Easy to mute the room sound in Kontakt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭tubedude

The first time you load a kit it takes a while because it has to uncompress the files.

I am using the free kontakt player also, and was wondering if the group editor is only available on the standard version, because I don't think it's available for me....
    Anyone else using the free kontakt player with these drums??

tubedude wrote: »
    The first time you load a kit it takes a while because it has to uncompress the files.

I am using the free kontakt player also, and was wondering if the group editor is only available on the standard version, because I don't think it's available for me....
    Anyone else using the free kontakt player with these drums??

totally forgot about the first decompress... Yeah, that ain't great.

Still, I'm having great luck with these kits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Futureadvocate

PaulBrewer wrote: »
    Is that not the point ?

Not for me.I was really just after the vintage Ludwig samples.

Turning down the room mics don't seem to do much...

Advertisement