Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parcel motel- package already open and items missing

Options
  • 14-11-2018 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭

Hi,

How is this possible? I went to collect a package today, and the package in the container had been ripped open and items were missing. The package had to either have been placed into the container like this by the delivery man or someone can access the container illegally?

I am awaiting parcel motels response on this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Could it have been damaged in transit ?
    This happened to me once and the package was tapped up.

It’s extremely unlikely someone opened your locker with the unique code and anyone that goes to the locker is caught on camera also.

What items are missing ?

Just remembered that when parcel motel receive the item and send you en email they attach a pic of your package so might be an idea to check the photo

The photo sent to me by parcel motel showed no damage, but when I opened the locker, the package had already been ripped open. Mobile phone gone.

I am awaiting Parcel motels response. Its unnerving that this can happen so easily

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

The photo sent to me by parcel motel showed no damage, but when I opened the locker, the package had already been ripped open. Mobile phone gone.

I am awaiting Parcel motels response. Its unnerving that this can happen so easily

No bother if you extended liability to what the phone was worth ?

https://www.parcelmotel.com/extend-liability/

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I remember reading some threads on boards that indicated this was happening a bit on parcel motel.
    I think it was an old thread that had several different experiences from ppl over the last 2-3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Definitely report it to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That’s very strange for the item to be damaged and something go missing, if it’s in perfect condition at parcel motels depot when they received it then it’s happened while in their possession.
    CCTV at the location might need to be secured and guards involved as this is theft, did you take out extra insurance to cover the value of the phone ?

Aren't people regularly getting lockers open now? Only the other day someone here had a smart watch stolen from a locker. Main reason I stopped using them.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd be report in that to the Guards because it looks like a theft. If the package was in perfect condition when it arrived at the depot and was ripped open and a mobile taken between there and the locker, it would suggest that either the driver or someone in the warehouse may have tampered with it.

The other option is the locker was opened. They should have CCTV there but the gardai might need to request it if it's not belonging to parcel motel.

Did you have the extended liability insurance with PM?

Checking my emails again, it was in dublin parcel motel hq at 1852 yesterday and was then at the ashbourne topaz at 2348. So at some point between 2348 last night and 1045 this morning it was stolen

I'm onto the gardai now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm onto the gardai now

On the crime spectrum, I'm thinking this will rank alongside the theft of a mobile phone from a parked car. So don't be spurprised if they record it and then do absolutely nothing about it

coylemj wrote: »
    On the crime spectrum, I'm thinking this will rank alongside the theft of a mobile phone from a parked car. So don't be spurprised if they record it and then do absolutely nothing about it

But I think it should be highlighted that if it was indeed lifted from the motel locker then parcel motel is not secure as a delivery option from abroad

But I think it should be highlighted that if it was indeed lifted from the motel locker then parcel motel is not secure as a delivery option from abroad

I agree that it should be 'highlighted' and you're clearly doing so by raising a thread here about it. I was simply pointing out that reporting it to the Gardai will achieve nothing.

BTW, this thread might be more appropriate over in Online Buying and Auctions which is where most discussion about Parcel Motel happens on boards.

• Advertisement

Any reply from parcel motel ?
    I wouldn’t be waiting on emails, personally I would be on the phone hounding them, all of their depot is on camera and so are the lockers so it should be fairly easy to find out what happened.
    You’re doing the right thing reporting it to the guards even if it’s just getting a crime number and at least it’s logged on file

Good news. They got back to me and are refunding the full cost of the item.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭GavMan

Someone is getting a P45 in the morning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hopefully they have cameras and someone is absolutely nailed for it.

Any explanation ?
    Normally a claim takes ages with parcel motel

No explanation other than there security team is investigating it

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Parcel-Motel-Robbery.jpg

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

No explanation other than there security team is investigating it

Did you tell them you got the gardai involved?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

ED E wrote: »
    Parcel-Motel-Robbery.jpg

Where’s that? And what happened?

If you know....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Why go to the bother of opening the parcel there and putting the packaging back and shutting the doir? Greater risk of being caught. Just walk away. Plus wouldn't all the parcels be affected or is it just this one? If a thief can open a door why not all doors and take everything.

Toots wrote: »
    Did you tell them you got the gardai involved?

OP wouldn't have neeed to tell them he got the Gardai 'involved' - a team of crack detectives would surely have swooped on the PM depot as soon as he report the theft.

Or maybe not.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Where’s that? And what happened?

Adamstown. Low value parcels scattered around and the nicer ones taken.

• Advertisement
Advertisement