Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Bomber

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Morrison J wrote: »
    Allen is a disgrace. Given countless opportunities by Hearn and still comes in that unfit.

To be fair he was only given a week's notice of this fight, but he shouldn't be getting so unfit between fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

To be fair he was only given a week's notice of this fight, but he shouldn't be getting so unfit between fights.

He was well aware he'd be fighting in November/December just didn't know for sure on the date/opponent though. Should be living in the gym given the chances he's getting but obviously couldn't really care less. Big shame really.

I've never seen a fighter say how much fitter he needs to be while sipping on an Irn Bru post fight. You couldn't make it up really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,411 ✭✭✭weemcd

20 on Usyk ko if Bellew finds a way to win I would not begrudge the man.

Morrison J wrote: »
    He was well aware he'd be fighting in November/December just didn't know for sure on the date/opponent though. Should be living in the gym given the chances he's getting but obviously couldn't really care less. Big shame really.

I've never seen a fighter say how much fitter he needs to be while sipping on an Irn Bru post fight. You couldn't make it up really.

I agree with that 100%, as a 'contender' and a full time pro he should be ready to go all the time.
    All the same we are speaking of a British level (at best) fighter here so he is never going to make it in the big time. He's making more money purely because of his personality (hence the Irn Bru sponsorhip)

https://twitter.com/irnbru/status/1061351495491215360

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

How many more times do we have to hear the same interview from Dave Allen. His career is passing him by. "I didn't train right, I didn't eat right, only took the fight on short notice." Just not good enough. He doesn't seem mentally in a great place in the post fight interviews.

You'd wonder why he didn't get David Haye on board to train him, looks like he needs him more than Chisora!

• Advertisement

Yeah I’ve just stuck €100 separately on Usyk TKO at 15/8 and Usyk 7-12 at 23/10

Good chance both come through

Whoop!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

walshb wrote: »
    I am more talking about it possibly being closer than what most think..

I have Usyk via TKO, but I think there will be competition here and that Bellew will make a fight of it......

I doubt it will be glaringly obvious from bell 1 to the end that Usyk is so so superior...

I reckon Usyk breaks Bellew down and wears him out, but in a hard fought and competitive fight.....

Similar to Spence/Brook in terms of who is winning.....not necessarily similar in how it plays out.......

Can we expect a fair few difficult to score rds and if so, those picking Usyk via points could be in for an upset?

Decent shout. Bellew did a lot better than most people thought he would.

Why was that given as a KO and not a TKO?
    Bellew was on his feet before the 10 count.

Scratch that, it ws actually a knockout, he was down for 12.

I'll end up just making a small profit on my round 7-12 bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭megadodge

It was a TKO. The timekeeper reached "7" and the ref waved it off as Bellew was rising. I just double checked it on Youtube.

Boxrec have it wrong at the moment, but I expect them to correct that, as they take that sort of thing seriously

If a bookie is trying to stiff you, keep at them. Don't let them get away with it.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    It was a TKO. The timekeeper reached "7" and the ref waved it off as Bellew was rising. I just double checked it on Youtube.

Boxrec have it wrong at the moment, but I expect them to correct that, as they take that sort of thing seriously

If a bookie is trying to stiff you, keep at them. Don't let them get away with it.

No, I have it on a docket and haven't went to claim it yet, but all bookies, including PP have said they paid out on a KO in the 'exact method of victory' market.
    http://legacy.paddypower.com/results/resultsSearch.do

It has definitely been given officially as a KO. Maybe I will wait until Monday to claim it and see if Boxrec changes the result in the mean time?
    It's worth about €290 to me.

No, I have it on a docket and haven't went to claim it yet, but all bookies, including PP have said they paid out on a KO in the 'exact method of victory' market.
    http://legacy.paddypower.com/results/resultsSearch.do

It has definitely been given officially as a KO. Maybe I will wait until Monday to claim it and see if Boxrec changes the result in the mean time?
    It's worth about €290 to me.

Well, they're wrong!

The count never reached "10", which it needs to in order for it to be a KO.

Well, they're wrong!

The count never reached "10", which it needs to in order for it to be a KO.

That's what I thought at the time, but if you look at the ESPN coverage there is no one announcing the count and it looks like the ref reaches 10?
    What do you think?

https://youtu.be/gqVcWeDoSk8

Edit, you are actually 100% right, the ref clearly stops it at 7.
    How do i go about getting a result changed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

If a ref deems you're not able to get up he can wave off the fight before the count reaches 10 and it is still deemed a traditional KO. Many examples of this, Manny-Hatton, Canelo-Khan, Canelo-Kirkland, Lemieux-Stevens

That's what I thought at the time, but if you look at the ESPN coverage there is no one announcing the count and it looks like the ref reaches 10?
    What do you think?

https://youtu.be/gqVcWeDoSk8

Edit, you are actually 100% right, the ref clearly stops it at 7.
    How do i go about getting a result changed?

Bookies aren't exactly known for their negotiating niceties, but you need to get onto their helpdesk and talk to someone to put your case out there.

It is very clear that the last number called out by the timekeeper is "7" and the ref's fingers seem to coincide with this, therefore it was a TKO.

Angliru wrote: »
    If a ref deems you're not able to get up he can wave off the fight before the count reaches 10 and it is still deemed a traditional KO. Many examples of this, Manny-Hatton, Canelo-Khan, Canelo-Kirkland, Lemieux-Stevens

No. The count has to reach 10 or else it is deemed a stoppage, even if the boxer is unconscious. We know he is knocked out, but the technical result is a TKO.

That's a moot point in this case, as Bellew clearly beat the count.

Angliru wrote: »

I'd say those are different in that they were on the floor unconscious.

Here Bellew was on a knee and trying to get up. In fact if the ref had given him those 3 seconds he would have got up and been stopped on his feet.

Another example of a TKO in this circumstance is Froch vs Groves 2

Bookies aren't exactly known for their negotiating niceties, but you need to get onto their helpdesk and talk to someone to put your case out there.

It is very clear that the last number called out by the timekeeper is "7" and the ref's fingers seem to coincide with this, therefore it was a TKO.

I put a query into Boxrec. As I'll have to go to the shop to claim, I can talk to a manager there.
    If Boxrec has it as a TKO then I should have a good argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Boxing is littered with inaccuracies as regards calling KOs and TKOs...

Ref sometimes doesn’t even begin a count for some clean KOs....

Plenty KO records where boxers are on their feet being counted out and stopped..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I agree with Walsh and I hate to say it Norman but they'll probably have enough wiggle room to blackguard their way out of it.

• Advertisement

FTA69 wrote: »
    I agree with Walsh and I hate to say it Norman but they'll probably have enough wiggle room to blackguard their way out of it.

Yeah, I figured that, I mean they'll have already paid out on the KO bets online as that was the official result announced at the event.
    My best bet is to try to get the Boxrec record changed before going back to the shop to claim.

I am still well up overall with my other bet on the fight but If I could get paid out on the TKO as well it would be a major scoop of cash.

Just catching up on this card...

Crolla is fooking ****. Shut d fook up, Nelson!

Think this whole "British Great" line that keeps being given to Bellew can be put to bed. I'd rank George Groves career above Bellew's pretty clearly.

Bellew had a good career but he's got no real notable wins at all despite what Sky/Matchroom are trying to make us believe. He's 0-3 when fighting a world champion.

He was just outclassed last night. Gave it a good go as expected but clearly levels between the two. Usyk better in practically every category.

You have a right hard on for that Groves lad...

He’s beaten nobody...nobody of note, anyway..

DeGale his best win, and that was 7/8 years ago..

You have a right hard on for that Groves lad...

He’s beaten nobody...nobody of note, anyway..

DeGale his best win, and that was 7/8 years ago..
    I'm just using him as an example of how when you take the Sky hype away Bellew's career really has been nothing special. If Groves had Sky/Matchroom behind him then I'm sure the narrative around him would be far more positive. Definitely should be remembered as being better than Bellew's anyway and Groves isn't even finished yet.

Bellew has never beat a champion for a belt in his whole career. Vacant British, European, Commonwealth and World title. He really can’t be compared to any British great. His career is probably on a similar level to James DeGale's I'd say although DeGale probably had a stronger peak.

As far as I’m concerned Groves is all but finished...

Bellew did well last night. Just ran out of steam...nice looped left to end it..

As I thought he wore Bellew down, but for many rds he was not at all clearly superior. One could argue several rds for Bellew.

Just not really overawed by Usyk...

Strange to analyze and assess. Very robotic and stiff, even if he has good feet and balance. His punching is very bland..

Usyk was the ring general, but for large parts of the fight he was missing shots..

Up at HW? Not at all confident he’d beat the best there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Thought Bellew did better than expected to be fair. He did well early not getting caught too much but you could sense he was tiring a wee bit and Usyk was just biding his time and getting warm. Credit to Bellew and maybe his histrionics made Usyk more cautious than one would expect early on.

What a great left hook to finish it and Bellew's eyes spoke volumes.

Thought the great left hook that stunned Bellew in the fourth was overlooked and a portent of things to come. Plus he looked like he was letting his mind wander and this was not the fight for that. Great word to describe Usyk is slick.

But its Bellew's histrionics that grate. How many times did he praise Usyk after and kiss him??? He also thought the booing was for Usyk after when Eddie Hearn was standing next to him!

I think we can all look forward to when Usyk moves up. Target rich environment right there. Bellew exiting with a £4m payday will hopefully mean he stays retired.

What's all the hoopla about Tony’s post fight interview?

He was clear, articulate and very composed...yes, he might have went on a bit...

Yes, he was knocked out, but he was well with it when interviewed...

I gave Bellew the first three rounds but I can't say I was ever remotely nervous that Usyk was about to have it difficult. Didn't think Bellew ever really looked comfortable from the bell. Usyk exhausted him within a few rounds and manoeuvred him wherever he liked. He barely threw a shot in the first four rounds and had Bellew exhausted. His elite footwork alone was pretty much enough to win him the fight. Pretty amazing to watch.

• Advertisement

What's all the hoopla about Tony’s post fight interview?

He was clear, articulate and very composed...yes, he might have went on a bit...

Yes, he was knocked out, but he was well with it when interviewed...

Well he repeated the same thing over and over gain and had to ask twice which round he was knocked out in.

Advertisement