Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor

• 21-10-2018 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Its coming up shortly. Anyone watching?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭fran38

According to the Indo's live blog, it's on at 4am. Feck that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BoneIdol

Aldi selling Galahad Lagar has ruined this fight for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭bassy

BoneIdol wrote: »

burp..............................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭weemcd

BoneIdol wrote: »

https://twitter.com/Rubberbandits/status/1043600536531095552?s=19

I may have ruined it even more for you now...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,495 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Didn’t see Katie’s fight but heard it was a real bore fest...

Conlan on against another nobody. Chased the guy around bd for 8 rds...this dire level of opposition is making for really poor fights...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »

Conlan on against another nobody. Chased the guy around bd for 8 rds...this dire level of opposition is making for really poor fights...

It's now official - you are the best judge in the whole world..... of fights you haven't actually seen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

Anyone know what sort of prize money Taylor is earning over there? Sponsorships etc? It is a pity she isn't getting the coverage over here that her status merits. RTE really could have a market for a bit of boxing coverage, even a weekly highlights show.

I know MTK have disassociated themselves with RTE and Irish media in general but there are plenty more avenues and they could still speak about such bouts

• Registered Users Posts: 9,910 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I know MTK have disassociated themselves with RTE and Irish media in general but there are plenty more avenues and they could still speak about such bouts

Katie has nothing to do with MTK, you might be confusing her with her dad ;)

Katie has nothing to do with MTK, you might be confusing her with her dad ;)

I know. If you read my post I was speaking about boxing coverage in general. It is not as if Taylor fights every other week but there are plenty of Irish boxers out there that would benefit from coverage and plenty of people who enjoy the spiort that an hour (at the very least) a week show would be justified

I am fully aware that the last management company Taylor would want to have anything to do with now is MTK

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭kneejerk

Fight was on sky sports. Co main event. Obviously Saunders being removed damaged the attractiveness of the card for a UK audience.

I actually thought the fight was enjoyable and one of the better fights on the card.

It was complete domination by Taylor. Wish the rounds were upped to 3 min's. Serrano was lucky to make it to the judges card. If the ref from Mick Conlons fight was in charge then it would have been a TKO! 😂

That clown that coaches the Serrano's trash talked through out and at the end was in Taylor's face calling for a fight with Amanda next. I was half expecting the ring side Conor McGregor to jump in to confront him!!

Will be a good fight for Taylor if it happens next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,803 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sure that wasn't her interview?;)

Taylor is now like McGregor for me. No longer any interest in their fights, and tend to find out the next day how they went.

Let's be honest, not much interest in the world for women's boxing.

megadodge wrote: »
    It's now official - you are the best judge in the whole world..... of fights you haven't actually seen!

It’s also official that you can’t read too well...

I “heard” it was a real bore fest. Just saying what I heard..

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sure that wasn't her interview?;)

Taylor is now like McGregor for me. No longer any interest in their fights, and tend to find out the next day how they went.

Let's be honest, not much interest in the world for women's boxing.

Christ I couldn't think of a worse analogy! McGregor's pre fight and post fight publicity is smeared in our faces, McGregor still attracts millions and millions of viewers, increasing by more circus like the whole thing is getting, who buy into the charade and McGregor. Sadly it's very difficult to avoid McGregor.
    You would want to be living under a rock!

Taylor gets few and far between media coverage over here, considering her status. Yes, women's boxing is not in anyway a glamorous sport for vast majority but I guess most of her matches are percived almost foregone conclusions to many who just check the result or, more likely, happen to stumble across the result by accident!

Just watched it. Pretty boring fight, Serrano refused to engage throughout. The highlight was probably the Puerto Rican National anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Katie Taylor v Delfine Persoon would be a good fight, or Chantelle Cameron. Some good fighters at their weight.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Katie Taylor v Delfine Persoon would be a good fight, or Chantelle Cameron. Some good fighters at their weight.

Eddie never mention Persoon but it's the obvious fight, She's clearly the #1 Female lightweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Downloaded the DAZN app as they have a month's free trial and after its a tenner a month.

First fight I saw was Quigg's very quick demolition then tuned in for Kid Galahad's tedious win. He spent the first half of the fight standing on his opponent's foot! This made me miss Conlan's fight on ESPN! Dont think he's good enough to be in with Frampton. Maybe Warrington.

Although Tennyson was outclassed by a very slick Farmer thought the stoppage was a wee bit soon. But no doubting the gulf in class and the experience will stand to Tennyson.

Katie totally dominated her bout so much so she dropped her hands and beckoned her opponent in the seventh. Never saw her do that before but Sugar Ray was enamoured with this! She was on the front foot from the off and was virtually untouched throughout. I wouldnt say it was a borefest more complete domination and certainly a message to the other Serrano. At the end Serrano's husband/coach sprang into the ring shouting and pointing at Katie. Apparently he was saying during the fight that she had picked the weaker Serrano. What a piece of ****.

According to the commentators pre fight Serrano's purse was $40,000 so one can safely assume that Katie's was in the six figures as she was the co feature.

It was past midnight here by the time the Andrade fight started so kudos to anyone at home who watched live.
    Impressed with DAZN as they showed highlights from all the other bouts and I wouldnt discount Hearns' comments that PPV is dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Katie got 100k in dollars for the fight. People are entitled to their view on women’s boxing and its potential, but remember just 2 years ago in the wake of Rio, when going pro was being seriously mooted, boards like this one were flooded with posts saying she’d be stupid to go pro, no money or interest in women’s boxing etc

So now she is making, at a guess, not less than 500k a year and with the likes of Estelle Mossely and others joining her women’s pro boxing is slowly and gradually becoming a better and more sustainable entity.

I’ll never get tired of championing Katie Taylor on here for what she did for amateur boxing and now what she is doing for the pro game. Her achievements cannot be underplayed. I’m not sure women’s boxing would even be an Olympic sport if it wasn’t for her, certainly wouldn’t have been as early as 2012 anyway.

She’s a national treasure, is Katie!

She’s a national treasure, is Katie!

Not enough of one but that’s just my opinion.

• Advertisement

Watched the fight. If you could call it that. Katie faced someone who didn’t want to be there...

Borefest? Don’t know.....cannot really describe it. A non fight, that’s for sure..

Just a question. Does anyone else see what I see, that being that Katie seems to miss about 80 percent of her punches. It’s kind of like they just fade away into nothing. Either that or them being so pitter patter they don’t show up to me as landing clean..?

Anyone see the Nikittin fight? Looks a right hardy bastid...

Him and Conlan need to get the rematch on. Looking at both so far I think the Russian would be too strong.

Watched the fight. If you could call it that. Katie faced someone who didn’t want to be there...

Borefest? Don’t know.....cannot really describe it. A non fight, that’s for sure..

Just a question. Does anyone else see what I see, that being that Katie seems to miss about 80 percent of her punches. It’s kind of like they just fade away into nothing. Either that or them being so pitter patter they don’t show up to me as landing clean..?

First 2 pars no disagreement anyway. She was facing an opponent whose sole ambition was to stand up for 10 rounds and who was at least good enough to achieve that.

Not so sure about the rest. I think it’s being super critical. There were plenty of accurate punches and good combinations that I saw. Serrano was probably as good as Taylor has faced yet, in terms of how compact she was and how little a target she presented, as much as there was no threat offensively.

I’d wait to judge her against a better fighter where there’s a chance of a more open contest and she might even get to be the counter puncher. 3 minute rounds would help her but unfortunately don’t see that on the horizon just yet.

Not so sure about the rest. I think it’s being super critical. There were plenty of accurate punches and good combinations that I saw. Serrano was probably as good as Taylor has faced yet, in terms of how compact she was and how little a target she presented, as much as there was no threat offensively.

I’d wait to judge her against a better fighter where there’s a chance of a more open contest and she might even get to be the counter puncher. 3 minute rounds would help her but unfortunately don’t see that on the horizon just yet.

I wasn't trying to be super-critical. It was more an observation-question. She won so comfortably. Just always seems like her shots have next to no impact or substance on them. Like they miss, fall short or have very little impact.

I'd like to see her sit down a bit more and plant the shots a little better. Less on volume and more on substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Anyone see the Nikittin fight? Looks a right hardy bastid...

Him and Conlan need to get the rematch on. Looking at both so far I think the Russian would be too strong.

Thought Nikitin looked awful poor. Just trudging forward, getting hit loads and doesn't look to have much power himself. Be easy work for Conlan. I get why they want to build that fight with the story behind it but I've little interest in the fight itself. Levels between them.

Morrison J wrote: »
    Thought Nikitin looked awful poor. Just trudging forward, getting hit loads and doesn't look to have much power himself. Be easy work for Conlan. I get why they want to build that fight with the story behind it but I've little interest in the fight itself. Levels between them.

Not sure how you can say levels between them. Neither have faced any remote kind of test yet. We have no idea what MC is like as a pro until he faces someone half decent. He himself is getting fed up judging by his recent comments..

Easy work for Conlan? May be, but to say it based off MCs pro journey and pro showings to date is odd.

Not sure how you can say levels between them. Neither have faced any remote kind of test yet. We have no idea what MC is like as a pro until he faces someone half decent. He himself is getting fed up judging by his recent comments..

Easy work for Conlan? May be, but to say it based off MCs pro journey and pro showings to date is odd.

Well there was clearly levels between them in the amateurs and seeing Nikitin getting tagged, marked up and lose a round to a total journeyman would have me feeling pretty confident there'll be levels between them in the pros too. Nikitin just isn't very good. Bit of a plodder.

Based on everything we've seen and know of the two I'd say picking the Russian to win would be better described as odd. I'm not sure what you're seeing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,281 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well there was clearly levels between them in the amateurs and seeing Nikitin getting tagged, marked up and lose a round to a total journeyman would have me feeling pretty confident there'll be levels between them in the pros too. Nikitin just isn't very good. Bit of a plodder.

Based on everything we've seen and know of the two I'd say picking the Russian to win would be better described as odd. I'm not sure what you're seeing there.

Just saw both fights and 100% agree with you.

Unless something drastic changes I can't see Conlan losing that one. Nikitin is only two fights in, so maybe it's too early to judge, but he looks very one-dimensional, not too hard to hit and quite wild at times.

Conlan is a far more rounded boxer with lots more weapons in his arsenal and is improving steadily. He's being brought along at the right pace by people who really know what they're doing and has an excellent coach. I was impressed with his performance at the weekend, despite the opponent's shiftyness.

megadodge wrote: »
    Just saw both fights and 100% agree with you.

Unless something drastic changes I can't see Conlan losing that one. Nikitin is only two fights in, so maybe it's too early to judge, but he looks very one-dimensional, not too hard to hit and quite wild at times.

Conlan is a far more rounded boxer with lots more weapons in his arsenal and is improving steadily. He's being brought along at the right pace by people who really know what they're doing and has an excellent coach. I was impressed with his performance at the weekend, despite the opponent's shiftyness.

Yeah that was probably the most impressed I've been with Conlan so far to be honest. Can definitely see the Booth style gradually being implemented. Think it's fair to say it's been an underwhelming enough start to his pro career performances wise but I do think he'll start to look better as he goes up a level. All his opponents are on their bikes circuling around the ring from the bell. Very difficult to sustain any real quality offense going against that. Nikitin should suit him to a tee I'd imagine with his reckless come forward style.

• Advertisement

1-1 in the amateurs. Not clear at all..

Advertisement