Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Deontay Wilder v Tyson Fury - December 1st

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Draw
    I thought it was pretty clear that Tyson won ,
    I think I read after the fight only 5% of pundits whole watched the fight gave it to Wald , Not sure how they worked that out,
    But even online at the time ,on twitter and that all respected boxing people had Fury winning,

Draw
    Johnathan Banks was even telling Wlad in the 10th he needed a KO to win , It wasn't pretty but Fury won clearly on the cards, Doesn't mean it was an easy win but it was certainly a clear Fury win ,

I

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wilder Points
    I thought overall Fury won the fight..I juts didn't think it at all clear.

Clear to me means easy enough to decide and with real clarity....

Too many rds in that fight didn't have this.

Going back to the fight Dec 1, I feel that Fury won't be winning anything clearly.

Draw
    Id agree with your opinion on what clear means, but id say it was clear Fury won more rounds than Wlad that night so he Clearly won the fight,

Anyway as regards to this fight with Wilder its very hard for anyone to have a real opinion of Fury as we haven't seen him fight anyone half decent nearly 3 years now,

I still think the obvious big right by Wilder for the KO or Fury on the cards,

Wilder Points
    Id agree with your opinion on what clear means, but id say it was clear Fury won more rounds than Wlad that night so he Clearly won the fight,

Anyway as regards to this fight with Wilder its very hard for anyone to have a real opinion of Fury as we haven't seen him fight anyone half decent nearly 3 years now,

I still think the obvious big right by Wilder for the KO or Fury on the cards,

Good points....

And it lends to such differing views and cards throughout boxing.

I think there may be two types of clear for some. Clear on the actual cards and clear on what actually happened.

One fighter could be sneaking/nipping rd after rd in a less than clear fashion, and end up with a clear win as regards scorecards...

So I could give it wide for one man and still say that it wasn't clear, because clear would mean that others too should see what I see, or be able to score similarly. And we all know that cards can differ, and sometimes differ hugely depending on who is scoring, in a fight that is very close and difficult to score.

I have judged many 3-0 cards for boxers in amateur fights, as in awarding one boxer all three rds. That would seem to be clear, but in several fights it was far from clear. And other judges had it 3-0 the other way. And I couldn't argue it. I have been almost always on the winners' side I may add.....Just saying!

• Advertisement

Draw
    I agree with you a fighter can win a very close fight by a long distance on the cards
    Iv always thought myself its a shame judges rarely give spit rounds , its human nature to prefer a certain style and in close fights it can make a huge difference ,

I 100% get what your saying ,

Wilder Points
    It's why I get fed up to the back teeth of this assumption that if a fight is close (close to a good boxing eye) it has to have close cards, and people giving out stink because a card was wide, but failing to show why it shouldn't be....

We will get this for the Fury fight against Wilder, if Fury does in any way well and makes it interesting/competitive. THE cards will be scrutinized and screamed at should Wilder get the nod, and god forbid get the nod BIG!

Look at the Ortiz fight......Ortiz did well and folks were outraged because Wilder was ahead on the cards......in a fight with many hard to award/score rds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Wilder Points
    If its a close fight that most people feel Fury won and Wilder gets a wide decision there'll be outrage. It'll be another case of the house fighter getting every advantage. Boxing has built its bed in that regard and its not going to change. Can't blame people for being frustrated with it I think. Close fights never have wide cards in favour of the b-side.

Draw
    There really is no house fighter in this one,
    Fight is in California not really Wilder country,
    I think he's fought there only 3 or 4 times but last time was like 4 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

Fury Points

Of course he's the house fighter. He's a showtime fighter and his guys are running the promotion.

• Advertisement

Wilder Points

Ah Wilder is definitely the a-side. Fight would be in NY but Barclays was all booked up. He's topping the bill, he'll be getting the bigger purse, Showtime will be injecting all the money into the promotion, powers that be will want Wilder to win this to set up the Joshua fight.

Draw
    I agree he is the A-side but I thought you where talking about the house fighter as the home town fight my bad,

I seen an interesting video taking a while back of Wilder's trainer speaking about Fury , saying if you fight him you need to make mark in the first few rounds and if you start chasing the fight you'll be beaten,

I think after hearing that you will see Wilder coming out a little less cautious than the Ortiz fight and trying to hurt Fury early ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Wilder is going to get KO'd in this one when he goes chasing the win.

He will get outboxed and then he will get reckless. Not a huge Fury fan as a fighter but hes going to be hard to hit as he fights cautiously. When Wilder pours it on he will get dropped.

Late stoppage between 9-12. Dont think Wilder can box, he is athletic, unorthodox and game. But he is totally limited. Fury will make him look so raw and will have no interest in trading.

Could see Wilder landing a hail mary shot on Joshua though and shocking him.

Likewise I could see a stinker of a fight between AJ and Fury with AJ getting the nod in a close one. And fans will scream robbery on the cards when really there was feck all in it.

All of these guys are vulnerable and see them beating each other.

Wilder Points
    Wilder is barely the A side. Globally, Fury would probably be the bigger name..

Not sure who is judging the fight, but I hope it’s somewhat neutral to at least try and shut up the whingers..

If the judges are neutral I don’t expect any kind of favoritism or home advantage or house fighter or A side nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Draw
    You'd assume given Fury is popular and quite vocal, and with it being in LA that judging will be fair. Deontay has gotten the rub of the green more than once in the past so you'd wonder. However I don't think it'll be necessary. Wilder is going to have to knock Fury out as all the lax judging in the world won't prevent him from losing on points to Fury. I wonder will Fury fight predominantly in a southpaw stance for this. Ortiz and Szpilka are rather slick and well schooled southpaws, especially Ortiz and Fury is kind of a weird fighter from southpaw but they caused Wilder a good deal of bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Wilder Points
    Angliru wrote: »
    You'd assume given Fury is popular and quite vocal, and with it being in LA that judging will be fair. Deontay has gotten the rub of the green more than once in the past so you'd wonder.

Given that Wilder has only gone the distance once in his career, that's not possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Draw
    qwabercd wrote: »
    Given that Wilder has only gone the distance once in his career, that's not possible.

Cards are still scored after every round, correct? You can still be given rounds you didn't deserve if a judge is acting a little silly, correct? Cards are still released even if the fight ends in a stoppage, correct? On the official cards Wilder was beating Ortiz, Szpilka and Washington yet he was losing all three fights in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Wilder Points
    Angliru wrote: »
    Cards are still scored after every round, correct? You can still be given rounds you didn't deserve if a judge is acting a little silly, correct? Cards are still released even if the fight ends in a stoppage, correct? On the official cards Wilder was beating Ortiz, Szpilka and Washington yet he was losing all three fights in reality.

Fair point.

Draw
    Just one thing people seem to overlook is Wilders boxing ability he has an olympic Bronze medal so he can certainly box to a degree ,
    He is just wild and reckless when he swings for the ko and its normally when hes hurt his oppenent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,730 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fury KO
    Fury's lack of activity and quality of recent opponents would make me think twice about betting on him.

I would like him to win though, so he can face AJ. But I don't think he has a hope in hell there, AJ will stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Draw
    Fury beats Wilder
    AJ Beats Fury
    Wilder beats AJ

Wilder Points
    Fury beats Wilder
    AJ Beats Fury
    Wilder beats AJ

Dec 2 you’ll need to tweak this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Draw
    walshb wrote: »
    Dec 2 you’ll need to tweak this!

i am worried Fury was forced into this fight too early and is going to retire again straight after it. He does look in good shape though.

Draw
    I have to say the big worry about Fury is in any footage of training and in his previous 2 fights he looks like he has less power than before,

He didn't have great power to begin with but if he can't at least get Wilder's respect he's in trouble,

He can't let Wilder walk him down for 12 rounds , he needs to have Wilder a little worried about being tagged, His stiff jab worried Wlad and managed to scare him into not letting his hands go,

Wilder and people say if Wlad just let his hands go he would have won but was because he was worried about taking a shot, He needs to do the same to Wilder if not he's in trouble,

Wilder Points
    I have to say the big worry about Fury is in any footage of training and in his previous 2 fights he looks like he has less power than before,

He didn't have great power to begin with but if he can't at least get Wilder's respect he's in trouble,

Spot on...

It's what I think the result comes down to. Wilder will not be discouraged or hurt badly, allowing him more "freedom" to be offensive and aggressive.

I just cannot see how Fury avoids a whopper for 36 mins...

I said it many times, he is a KO waiting to happen, and it will happen in 3 weeks time...

I really believe people are overrating Fury's chin and defense.....both will let him down....Wilder being the perfect height and size to crack that chin.

Draw
    Id have to agree with the above
    There is a chance that even if Fury's power is gone that he may be crafty enough to catch Wilder walking on to something , At heavy weight anything can happen,

I wouldn't say Fury has a great chin he's just good at rolling with shots and not taking them clean , His size is a huge reason for people not catching him clean, So your correct Wilder's height and length give him a better chance than most,

Fury certainly needs to have moments to discourage Wilder,

Wilder Points
    Just one thing people seem to overlook is Wilders boxing ability he has an olympic Bronze medal so he can certainly box to a degree ,
    He is just wild and reckless when he swings for the ko and its normally when hes hurt his oppenent

https://twitter.com/EditinKing/status/1060094593776185344

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭megadodge

Draw
    Why are people talking about Wilder's "aggression" and "walking down" Fury?

Wilder is NOT aggressive!!! He's the polar opposite in fact.

The only fight I can remember Wilder being really aggressive was against Audley Harrison - probably the only boxer on the planet more afraid of getting hit than himself!

Wilder Points
    He may well be aggressive, or more than previously if he feels and knows that Fury can’t or isn’t really bothering/hurting him...that is the hypothesis..

And just to add, being aggressive doesn’t always mean being non stop on the attack..

A boxer can exert aggression subtly and passively..

You don’t get 40 or so KOs in 41 fights without having some aggression...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Draw
    Tyson Fury is indeed the greatest heavyweight of all time but I'm worried two years playing the bugle will have dented him.

He was on Joe Rogan recently and it was a very good listen actually.

Advertisement