Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Watch Series 4

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Kagawa wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a brown leather strap for the 44mm model. I’d like to get the Apple one but they have discontinued it.

Prefer high quality rather than just a cheap one,

TIA
    I have a very lightly used brown leather loop. If you’d like to PM me we can work it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Doodah7 wrote: »
    This came up last year also. Main reason is demand. Simply not worth it for a carrier to invest in this for a few thousand customers. However if other manufacturers hop on the eSim bandwagon, and of course they will as they all slavishly copy Apple, then there may be a demand which would make setting up such a network a runner.

So are we years away from it or could something happen I the next few months?

If I bought an AppleWatch with cellular in the UK would that work here if the technology does come? (I think I asked this before).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

So are we years away from it or could something happen I the next few months?

If I bought an AppleWatch with cellular in the UK would that work here if the technology does come? (I think I asked this before).

I asked a friend in telco land and he reckoned comreg don't allow it under their current rules and they will have to change that before the networks will support the devices. Only 10 countries support eSIM so far.

Can anyone recommend a brown leather strap for the 44mm model. I’d like to get the Apple one but they have discontinued it.

Prefer high quality rather than just a cheap one,

TIA

I have no first hand experience but I was looking for my self and these came up as interesting 3rd party bands

https://www.juukdesign.com/
    https://hellonomad.com/collections/straps-leather

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’d imagine eSim wouldn’t be too far out for Ireland tbh. Depending on how other counties go I could see it hitting by 2019 or maybe the year later. It would be nice having the option of a second sim even though I don’t think I’d ever wanted it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Kagawa

eeloe wrote: »
    I have a very lightly used brown leather loop. If you’d like to PM me we can work it out.

Thanks eeloe, but I'm looking for a more traditional strap really. I have a black leather loop at the moment and i never use it really.

Rew wrote: »
    I asked a friend in telco land and he reckoned comreg don't allow it under their current rules and they will have to change that before the networks will support the devices. Only 10 countries support eSIM so far.

Does the watch have a separate phone number, or is it the same as your iPhone?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Should be the same number, otherwise it’s a pointless add on.

I wonder will Apple allow non Apple Watch faces? It would be great to get some different ones, there could be some awesome ones designed.

Same number as your phone

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Comreg have nothing to do with the telcos not supporting the cellular Apple watch. eSims are in use in Ireland, in the iPad. The telcos have their own reasons for not wanting to support the Apple watch, any who claim it's Comreg's fault are just BSing you.

Johnmb wrote: »
    Comreg have nothing to do with the telcos not supporting the cellular Apple watch. eSims are in use in Ireland, in the iPad. The telcos have their own reasons for not wanting to support the Apple watch, any who claim it's Comreg's fault are just BSing you.

I didn't say it was eSIMs, my understanding is its the dupe numbers. Where can you use an eSIM with an iPad and an Irish carrier btw?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

I didn't say it was eSIMs, my understanding is its the dupe numbers. Where can you use an eSIM with an iPad and an Irish carrier btw?
    Three come up as options on my iPad, AlwaysOnline, GigSky, and Truphone. They may be virtual carriers, but it means that eSims can be used in Ireland, the main telcos simply choose not to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What I have done previously is I bought a strap from Fossil and also used the Apple Watch adapters to make my own leather strap. Much cheaper but might be a bit of a faff.

https://www.fossil.com/uk/en/search.Leather%20strap.html

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Watch-Band-Connection-Adapters-Strap-Connector-for-Apple-Watch-38-42mm-UK-Stock/292523456738?hash=item441bc1b8e2:m:mCku88Er6JU-OlpvQcuCtRw

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Anyone know if the 4th series is ANT + compatible?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

Anybody order SS LTE from UK with parcelmotel?
    My order is still show as processing. Hopefully apple will not cancel it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

wolfi wrote: »

I did, mine showing as preparing to dispatch

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wolfi

blink44 wrote: »
    I did, mine showing as preparing to dispatch

Do you remember what time you placed your order? I did it late 08:19, as my priority was XS Max from Irish apple store.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blink44

Do you remember what time you placed your order? I did it late 08:19, as my priority was XS Max from Irish apple store.

8:09. I wouldn’t worry too much, some items stay processing for ages but move along very quickly. I’m pretty sure last year with my X I only got the dispatch email on the Thursday and it arrived the next morning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Mine still saying processing too. And that was from the Irish store to an Irish address so I wouldn’t worry just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Anyone know if the 4th series is ANT + compatible?

It's not mentioned in the spec sheet or in any of the information Apple have put out, so there's no reason to suspect that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was listening to the latest Verge podcast in which they were discussing the Keynote and I was struck by a point they made on the fall feature. It's something I didn't pay much attention to, but they mentioned how big a deal it could be for various industries that require staff to have fall sensors. They also mentioned how there was a huge market for the elderly, who apparently have these ugly necklace devices. They seemed far more excited about it than the EKG. I though it was a novelty

• Administrators Posts: 53,337 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I really wish Apple let you build your own Watch when you ordered rather than having to buy one of their few combinations and then pay extra for a strap.

No way to get a black watch with anything other than a black strap, unless you fork out for the extra strap.

Does the podcasts on the watch os5 feature require one of the cellular watches?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

awec wrote: »
    I really wish Apple let you build your own Watch when you ordered rather than having to buy one of their few combinations and then pay extra for a strap.

No way to get a black watch with anything other than a black strap, unless you fork out for the extra strap.

I was thinking the same. I wanted the silver watch but dont want the white strap. So now I’ll send up keeping my existing black strap and sell on my old watch without the strap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Does the podcasts on the watch os5 feature require one of the cellular watches?

Think you can just sync it with the watch for offline playback so should work in the standard GPS models.

They know exactly what they're doing. Keep inventory issues down by having a limited number of choices. Make a good margin on the percentage of people who will pay extra for the strap they want.

No one Barely anyone who wants an Apple Watch is going to hold off buying because they don't like the bundled straps, so they won't won't lose any many sales. People will either make do, buy a replacement strap (from apple or elsewhere) or already have a strap they want to use.

Whichever way, Apple still get the watch sale and a certain percentage of the extra straps, which there must be a massive margin on.

phutyle wrote: »
    They know exactly what they're doing. Keep inventory issues down by having a limited number of choices. Make a good margin on the percentage of people who will pay extra for the strap they want.

No one Barely anyone who wants an Apple Watch is going to hold off buying because they don't like the bundled straps, so they won't won't lose any many sales. People will either make do, buy a replacement strap (from apple or elsewhere) or already have a strap they want to use.

Whichever way, Apple still get the watch sale and a certain percentage of the extra straps, which there must be a massive margin on.
    Yes, it is safe to say the leather straps for example don't cost anywhere close to 150 quid to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭ADSLUSER

• Advertisement

ADSLUSER wrote: »
    Just noticed that Argos actually sell the cellular (LTE) version of the Apple Watch Series three

I was going to say that none of their stores show them as in stock, so maybe it was a mistake, but Liffey Valley actually claims to have one

2018-09-18_1727.png

Advertisement