Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apple Special Event - September 12th

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I have an iPhone 8 which I got last Christmas and a Watch Series 3 which I got approximately 6 months ago. Depending on how much I like what is announced, I’ll probably upgrade one of them this Christmas. If the new Watch had a decent upgrade on battery life, I’d probably go for it. I’m currently getting 2.5 to 3 days out of my Watch so it’s not too bad at the moment, but I was used to closer to 10 days for my Fitbit (which could admittedly do a lot less)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Will probably go for an Xs plus and sell my 7 plus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭shanec1928

peteeeed wrote: »
    Will probably go for an Xs plus and sell my 7 plus
    will be doing the same myself.:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Planning upgrading from a Watch series 2 to the series 4, and i'm gonna have to go from the iPhone X to the Plus model....i miss the physical size of the Plus size phones.

The 6.5 version is now rumoured to be the XS MAX . not a fan of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Can’t wait to get the iPhone tennis match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,380 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

not too sure about the new XS unless it is a massive improvement over the X.
    New watch could be nice....
    I have however got 450 euro in apple vouchers that needs to be spent...so who knows..

DT

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

peteeeed wrote: »
    The 6.5 version is now rumoured to be the XS MAX . not a fan of that

I wouldn’t be a fan of “Max” either. Reminds me too much of the Galaxy Mega by Samsung, which I think sounded awful as a name.

I also recently saw a rumour saying they might call it the “Xs Pro”, to align more with the naming conventions on iPad and MacBook.
    Also that this would be followed by the numerical X, 8, 9 and s parts of the naming being completely dropped next year and the devices just being called “iPhone” and “iPhone Pro”, with a subtext akin to iPad 5th gen (2017), iPad 6th gen (2018) being used for clarification between years, but not officially part of the name.

Guess we’ll know soon enough. :-)

duridian wrote: »
    I wouldn’t be a fan of “Max” either. Reminds me too much of the Galaxy Mega by Samsung, which I think sounded awful as a name.

I also recently saw a rumour saying they might call it the “Xs Pro”, to align more with the naming conventions on iPad and MacBook.
    Also that this would be followed by the numerical X, 8, 9 and s parts of the naming being completely dropped next year and the devices just being called “iPhone” and “iPhone Pro”, with a subtext akin to iPad 5th gen (2017), iPad 6th gen (2018) being used for clarification between years, but not officially part of the name.

Guess we’ll know soon enough. :-)

yeah its a soda drink or a cleaning product

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I remember before Apple new slate/tablet was released came out, the name "iPad" was bandied around and ridiculed in many quarters. Once Steve Jobs lifted the thing up - all was instantly forgotten.

Once the products are released and all the unboxing and newsreels are watched, how many people really care what they're called? Don't get me wrong I enjoy this time year as much as any, but I struggled to remember or care what model my iPhone is. Maybe that's the problem. Just call the damn thing a number!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

Mr.S wrote: »
    Will likely sell my X and go for the XS Plus or whatever they call it. I love the X but a bigger screen will make it even more perfect.

I wasn’t bothering doing this but if the 5.8” gets a price drop that’ll mean I’ll get less for it long term so I’m considering selling now and getting the Xs or maybe upgrading to a plus.

I’d say the plus will take the X’s price point?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,907 ✭✭✭dubmick

lads how much was the X on a €40 Vodafone contract last year?  600 or 700 ??

Anyone selling their 64GB X? And if so, for how much?

To be fair, you’ll be better off buying this years 5.8 inch model for the same price someone is selling last years.

My 256gb X was €1349, the 5.8 inch being much cheaper this year is going to kill the second hand market this year!

eeloe wrote: »
    To be fair, you’ll be better off buying this years 5.8 inch model for the same price someone is selling last years.

My 256gb X was €1349, the 5.8 inch being much cheaper this year is going to kill the second hand market this year!

That’s what I think as well so I want to flog it as soon as I can!

I think the Xs will be around €1000 this year and the Xs Plus or Max will be €1179.. so if going rate for the X based on adverts is €800-850 I’d be ok with a €200 upgrade for the Xs tbh

Hold out, the Xs May not even be worth the upgrade. IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Shn99

How much roughly could a second hand 8+ be after next weeks event? around 550-600 at the mo

The 8 and 8+ shouldn’t drop too much due to them being discontinued as opposed to being upgraded.

The only problem being with the 2017 X, no ones gonna pay a premium second hand when they can get a marginally upgraded 2018 model brand new for less than most people would be expecting for their 2017 model.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

That’s what I think as well so I want to flog it as soon as I can!

I think the Xs will be around €1000 this year and the Xs Plus or Max will be €1179.. so if going rate for the X based on adverts is €800-850 I’d be ok with a €200 upgrade for the Xs tbh
    Might not be as cheap as was originally expected, some analysts are now predicting the X could stay at or around the price its currently at, with the Xs Max model being priced higher again by €100-€200.

This is just analysts predictions, so definitely take it with a pinch of salt but these sometimes turn out to be correct.
    https://9to5mac.com/2018/09/08/analysts-admit-they-were-wrong-about-iphone-x-predict-849-price-for-6-1-lcd-iphone/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’m in the market to upgrade my 6s when my contract ends in a few weeks. Was looking at the 8 but should that plan change with the new launch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

I put the XS plus at €1290 at the least. Possibly higher. The 8plus is €110 more than the 8

When have Apple lowered there pricing. I was hoping last year was the year they would get stung. Looks like it did not happen.
    I myself was shocked at the price of the X and before before the keynote I was getting it. But just could not justify the price when I heard it. Went for the 8plus.

Oh how Apple have normalised €1000 plus phones. Eyeing up the XS plus now. Only because I’m selling my 8 Plus.

Gael23 wrote: »
    I’m in the market to upgrade my 6s when my contract ends in a few weeks. Was looking at the 8 but should that plan change with the new launch?

The 8 will end up being cheaper after the launch alright. The shops will have stock they’ll need to get rid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

eeloe wrote: »
    The 8 will end up being cheaper after the launch alright. The shops will have stock they’ll need to get rid of.
    Also, given the price points that are now being quoted, I'd expect the 8 to be kept on as the mid-range offering. The new 6.1" LCD phone won't be that phone at the price points currently being bandied about!

Johnmb wrote: »
    Also, given the price points that are now being quoted, I'd expect the 8 to be kept on as the mid-range offering. The new 6.1" LCD phone won't be that phone at the price points currently being bandied about!
    The 6.1” LCD iPhone (now rumoured to be the iPhone XC) is supposed to be replacing the 8 at the same price, with the Xs dropping by around €100. But others have said it’s actually going to be more expensive than the iPhone 8, so it’s hard to tell until Wednesday.

I recon they’ll keep the 8 and 8 plus at €100 discount. Then the three new iPhones. It’s really difficult to tell with Apple now though, prices seem to just going up and up every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I put the XS plus at €1290 at the least. Possibly higher. The 8plus is €110 more than the 8

When have Apple lowered there pricing. I was hoping last year was the year they would get stung. Looks like it did not happen.
    I myself was shocked at the price of the X and before before the keynote I was getting it. But just could not justify the price when I heard it. Went for the 8plus.

Oh how Apple have normalised €1000 plus phones. Eyeing up the XS plus now. Only because I’m selling my 8 Plus.

This is not the expectation this year.
    Predictions are that the new plus model will be the same price as last year’s X whilst the new version of the X will be the same price as the iPhone 8.

So in effect it’s a price drop.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Predictions are that the new plus model will be the same price as last year’s X whilst the new version of the X will be the same price as the iPhone 8.

Haven’t seen any rumours of this so far, all I’ve seen is that the new Xs might get a €100 price drop, with the plus/max version will take the original X price of $1000 or €1179 for Ireland.

Maybe your getting mixed up with the cheaper LCD version that’s supposed to be taking the iPhone 8’s price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

So €100 drop on the 8 and 8 plus?

Gael23 wrote: »
    So €100 drop on the 8 and 8 plus?

That’s what Apple have done historically, but with the three new iPhones this year there aren’t any guarantees. It’s likely though, still some people who won’t like the new design so keeping the 8 on sale would appeal to those.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DubDJ wrote: »
    That’s what Apple have done historically, but with the three new iPhones this year there aren’t any guarantees. It’s likely though, still some people who won’t like the new design so keeping the 8 on sale would appeal to those.

The 5s year is a prime example of this, the 5 went away and was replaced by the 5c which everyone - including me - would have been a cheap(er) phone.

This year I believe they'll keep the 8 around though, they've been making that style of phone for the 4 years now, it must be super profitable considering all the tooling/machining would be running at peak efficiency. It's also no slouch of a phone, it's got wireless charging, great camera and pretty nice battery life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

murpho999 wrote: »

There seems to be 2 different rumours floating around in terms of price. The Xs plus maybe just a bigger Xs as well. As in no hardware improvements. Excluding battery. That may have an impact on the price as well.

Advertisement