Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anpost doesn't leave packages outside door for "security reasons"

Options
  • 06-11-2018 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Ordered something from Amazon and I am away from home for the next few weeks for work and my housemates are usually out of the house as well so I requested to Anpost to just leave the package in front of my house so my housemates can pick it up home when they get home.

Problem is Anpost responded and now "for security reasons" will not agree to leave packages outside my door.

What exactly is the problem? It's a bloody 20 quid item and back in Canada when I order something, even 1000+ dollar laptop they just leave it in front of my door and I'd rather take the small, minuscule risk of having it stolen than the inconvenience of picking it up from a depot.

This is Ireland, not South Chicago. Should not be an issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Thanks for sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

They've been doing that for years even when it wasn't policy (that might not be true even now). Its one of the main reason I stopped using them years ago.

They'd put a note in saying no one at home, and when I'd run out to challenge, the parcel wasn't in the van anyway.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,274 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

They must have only just changed their policy because the last Amazon delivery I received a couple of weeks ago was just dumped on the doorstep by An Post. I was absolutely fuming that they'd do that, normally if there's nobody in to accept a package I can collect it in the local sorting office which is only 5 minutes down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

As you can see from comments they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

From experience, they will try next door, a recycling bin etc before they take it back, but they will use their discretion in areas where they have a lot of pilferage.

Parcel motel ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Zaph wrote: »
    They must have only just changed their policy because the last Amazon delivery I received a couple of weeks ago was just dumped on the doorstep by An Post. I was absolutely fuming that they'd do that, normally if there's nobody in to accept a package I can collect it in the local sorting office which is only 5 minutes down the road.

No change in policy, just some posties cutting corners.

Package in BLACK bin before like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

As you can see from comments they are damned if they do, and damned if they don't!

True, I'd be mad if they stopped leaving my packages outside the door its so handy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Except they either have a policy, or they don't

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

beauf wrote: »
    They've been doing that for years even when it wasn't policy (that might not be true even now). Its one of the main reason I stopped using them years ago.

They'd put a note in saying no one at home, and when I'd run out to challenge, the parcel wasn't in the van anyway.

So An Post are making "fake" deliveries now are they? Why on earth would they leave a docket stating they couldn't deliver an item when they don't even have the item with them in the first place? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Go to a real bricks and mortar shop!

I thought An Post had a box thing that they can place deliveries in if you pay for it…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Absolutely! Is this not standard? I thought they would never leave a delivery on the doorstep. And I am from the countryside, not a crime-ridden area.

Being pissed off at a company for being security conscious is a whole new level of unreasonable customer. Also, what if it starts bucketing rain like it has done this week?

And preferring to risk theft (how are they supposed to know it's only €20?) than the tiny inconvenience of picking it up from the delivery office... a whole new level of laziness. :D

A place doesn't have to be anywhere near as crime-infested as Chicago's south side for theft to be a risk. Thieving scum are from all walks of life, and leaving a $1,000+ laptop on a doorstep is just idiocy by the postal worker in Canada.

Are you even being serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Our guy always either leave it next door or even asked if they were early could they leave in patio.

What happened years ago does not happen any more, because if you did not receive parcel, you would be first to sue. Then postman would probably lose his job. As someone else said arrange to pick it up in PO.

Think the guys/girls are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

What happens when they leave the 1k laptop in the bin on bin day?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

which happens and things then get messy, if you aren't going to be around to sign for the package then get it delivered to work or somewhere else, use parcel motel or alternative

It does not matter if the item is worth a euro or a thousand, delivery needs to be secure, and that's not being left in front of your door, or in the bin

Your convenience of having it dropped in front of your door because you aren't around is irrelevant because its not secure in most circumstances, the shipper paid the carrier to deliver it secure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

I've started getting a message in advance of Amazon deliveries by an post asking if I want to reschedule delivery, leave in a 'safe place' (e.g. the bin!) or with a neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I'd much prefer that they don't leave my parcels just sitting outside my front door! Plus if it's one that needs signing for, and they leave it like that, they could be liable for it should it be stolen. There's lots of stories about people stealing parcels from front doors and porches so maybe they are actually being smart and protecting consumers. Yes it's annoying to have to go and collect it from the post office but you do have other options. Like using DPD parcel wizard, parcel motel, parcel box at your front door or even not ordering something when you're not going to be there for a few weeks.

• Moderators Posts: 6,851 ✭✭✭Spocker

ArthurG wrote: »
    I've started getting a message in advance of Amazon deliveries by an post asking if I want to reschedule delivery, leave in a 'safe place' (e.g. the bin!) or with a neighbour.

Me too, but even when I request a reschedule (from my workplace, to my local PO) they still went ahead and delivered to the first address :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yep, I spoke to my post about it when it came out first, and he told me he hadn't a clue where to access the messages.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

Truckermal wrote: »
    What happens when they leave the 1k laptop in the bin on bin day?

Happened me although with courier rather than An Post, but thankfully Greenstar lifted the lid on the bin before emptying I and spotted it. I got a knock on the door from the binman to tell me that there was a parcel on top of my recycling an it was really lucky he didn't put it through the truck!

I find the An Post delivery box quite handy for small packages. As a system it works well, but it uses keys and is restricted to An Post.

We need some kind of open industry-standard system that ALL the couriers can use. All you would need is an agreed QR code or barcode that they can scan inside a box to prove delivery and a box that can be opened from the outside and a parcel dropped in, but cannot be tampered with after that - i.e. similar to a parcel mail box with a one-way door.

Also, according to An Post's adverts you can arrange delivery to a neighbour or a near by shop etc.. How does that work?

I mean this looks fantastic, but I've NEVER been called by the postman/postwoman to tell me where my parcel is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

AnPost know rightly if the item is damaged or stolen then OP would be screaming bloody murder looksong for compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

nc6000 wrote: »
    So An Post are making "fake" deliveries now are they? Why on earth would they leave a docket stating they couldn't deliver an item when they don't even have the item with them in the first place? :rolleyes:

Because for some reason, they sometimes come back with the dockets at a later stage.

A friend of mine posted a video online of the An Post van pulling up, driver hopped out and dropped in the attempted delivery docket, and then drove off.

When An Post investigated they said delivery had been attempted earlier in the morning, and the driver was just coming back with the attempted delivery notices.

My friend looked back over his CCTV to see delivery had been attempted earlier that morning but hadn't left a docket.

Seems like a good way to waste time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

EdgeCase wrote: »
    We need some kind of open industry-standard system that ALL the couriers can use. All you would need is an agreed QR code or barcode that they can scan inside a box to prove delivery and a box that can be opened from the outside and a parcel dropped in, but cannot be tampered with after that - i.e. similar to a parcel mail box with a one-way door.

You can get one like this. We just installed one. It's called Smart Parcel Box. It's from the UK and isn't cheap but there's a barcode that can be scanned instead of a signature and is like a drop box & is theft proof. You have a key that you can use to take the parcel out later. Seems to be quite good and can be used by all companies and not just An Post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

nc6000 wrote: »

eh, they have been doing that for years. I work from home some days of the week and have caught them out several times showing up with the docket and not even ringing the doorbell. When you go to the door they dont have the parcel. Its become especially prevalent since the advent of online shopping, they just dont have the capacity to deliver every single parcel but they dont want to admit it to the public because you have actually paid for a service to your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Jlayay wrote: »
    Ordered something from Amazon and I am away from home for the next few weeks for work and my housemates are usually out of the house as well so I requested to Anpost to just leave the package in front of my house so my housemates can pick it up home when they get home.

Problem is Anpost responded and now "for security reasons" will not agree to leave packages outside my door.

What exactly is the problem? It's a bloody 20 quid item and back in Canada when I order something, even 1000+ dollar laptop they just leave it in front of my door and I'd rather take the small, minuscule risk of having it stolen than the inconvenience of picking it up from a depot.

This is Ireland, not South Chicago. Should not be an issue.

They are not allowed to leave any parcels outside. I have been fighting with An Post to stop leaving parcels outside when we are not home. They even do it when we are home. And at some point they left an iPhone 7 outside on the porch and the other time a SONOS Play 1. It an absolute disgrace. I cannot get them to ring the door or put a docket in the mailbox. And for you they actually do the right thing, they dont know whats in the parcel and how much it cost. What if it starts to rain? What if someone steals the parcel? You have no reason to give out to them for actually sticking to their own rules.

Today another parcel was left outside, in the rain, and I am at home. Second time in a week. Last few weeks the post man has been walking through the garden as well to get to the neighbors, damaging the plants. A while back the postman was forging my signature on registered post, several times. I have proof of this. An Post are a fecking disgrace and have been for the past 12 years. Their policies are good, but their postmen just don't give a hoot. Its time for a competitor on the Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭r439z5ifwt8soq

If they left parcels on peoples doors and one got stolen, there'd be a boards thread giving out about how it's bad practice.

They don't want to risk getting a bad name, get over it bro

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

Anpost maybe not, their postman don't care so much. I don't understand why an employee think it would be OK to break their employer's rules and discredit them in the process. In the end, its their own job at stake. Madness.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

For my deliveries they call me on the mobile, if I'm a few minutes out and it's not raining (which is regularly the case) then I just say I'm giving you permission to leave it at the door which they always do and I've had zero issues to date with that.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Poncke wrote: »
    Its time for a competitor on the Irish market.

This old chestnut.

Competitors have been free to enter any aspect of the postal market for a number of years .

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

If they left parcels on peoples doors and one got stolen, there'd be a boards thread giving out about how it's bad practice.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057933369

^^^Or even if they're not stolen....

Advertisement