Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

joining AGS when you have young family

Options
  • 27-01-2011 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

have been viewing threads for a long time but first time posting.
    I was just wondering if anyone has experience of joining AGS with young kids and how easy/difficult they found it to manage family life with training in templemore. i have two v young children and as much as id love the idea of becoming a guard i just dont know if i could cope with being away from them. its alot to weigh up really. i know i could be stationed anywhere in the country and id only survive if them and my other half moved with me but its not as simple as that.
    do you have to stay in the college grounds when training or can you stay in accomodation in the town? what kinda basic hours would a qualified garda be working in a week and if say i was stationed in dublin for eg and looked for transfer down the country how realistic would my chances be of getting one.
    sorry for all the questions but i have an awful lot to consider and would love to get some info to help me make a decision.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭itsallgood

sahm123 wrote: »
    Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone has experience of joining AGS with young kids and how easy/difficult they found it to manage family life with training in templemore. i have two v young children and as much as id love the idea of becoming a guard i just dont know if i could cope with being away from them. its alot to weigh up really. i know i could be stationed anywhere in the country and id only survive if them and my other half moved with me but its not as simple as that.
    do you have to stay in the college grounds when training or can you stay in accomodation in the town? what kinda basic hours would a qualified garda be working in a week and if say i was stationed in dublin for eg and looked for transfer down the country how realistic would my chances be of getting one.
    sorry for all the questions but i have an awful lot to consider and would love to get some info to help me make a decision.
    thanks

When in training you stay in Templemore college itself, during high numbers of students you used to move out to digs but that won't be the case anymore.
    As far as I know people with families are allowed leave early on a Friday and don't have to return to the college till Monday morning rather that Sunday night.
    Also when being stationed those with kids and families will not be sent too far away from where they live, I think they do offer you a few choices.
    Hope this helps on some of your questions.
    The only other thing I'll say is and I'm sure your aware of this, there is a panel of over 450 waiting since May 2008 and before. Some of these will be brought in before a new campaign begins which under the old rulers would have been 3 years or so. Just be prepared for a long wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

sahm123 wrote: »
    Hi there,

thanks

I have young child too, its a big dedication to go to Templemore for 8 months but as long as you have support around you it makes it that bit easier. As regards training, you're allowed to come back to Tipp Monday morning as opposed to Sunday night, something I wont be availing of due to distance I have to drive. You can also go home Wednesday nights after lectures, but back early Thursday morning, again something I wont be availing of due to sheer distance unless the little one is sick etc. As regards stationing, as far as I know you're given a bit of leeway in that you're not stationed too far from your base. My main problem at the moment is that I want to register the little one for schools and have no idea where I'll be when that time comes. It's a tough job as regards family life, my other half is prepared for us being ships in the night, me coming in at 7 when hes just leaving for work etc but as long as you've taken all that into consideration I wish you all the very best of luck in your application.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Alberto17

C-J wrote: »
    I have young child too, its a big dedication to go to Templemore for 8 months but as long as you have support around you it makes it that bit easier. As regards training, you're allowed to come back to Tipp Monday morning as opposed to Sunday night, something I wont be availing of due to distance I have to drive. You can also go home Wednesday nights after lectures, but back early Thursday morning, again something I wont be availing of due to sheer distance unless the little one is sick etc. As regards stationing, as far as I know you're given a bit of leeway in that you're not stationed too far from your base. My main problem at the moment is that I want to register the little one for schools and have no idea where I'll be when that time comes. It's a tough job as regards family life, my other half is prepared for us being ships in the night, me coming in at 7 when hes just leaving for work etc but as long as you've taken all that into consideration I wish you all the very best of luck in your application.

Hi there, I saw this old post of yours on Boards about been in Templemore with a young family.

Just wondering how it all panned out and how the first few years of adjusting to garda life and shifts went?

Reason I ask is am in similar situation going into next intake. You can PM me response if you've time.

Thanks.

Advertisement