Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Special Event - September 12th

• 30-08-2018 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Apple just confirmed the time and date for their next special event. As rumoured it’s on the 12th at the usual 10am US time (6pm Irish time).

Supposed to be three new iPhone models, updated Apple watches, maybe new iPad pros, and a chance of a few mac updates as well.

We usually get the final releases of the software announced at WWDC so they will probably be out right after the event. Looking forward to this one.

0_D6_BAF52_E41_F_4_ECC_987_C_73108_C476_CBD.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Pretty sure that round graphic indicates "what goes around comes around", meaning FM radio is finally back in play.

Sweet. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 26,555 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

that copper, subtle nod to a copperish/goldish iPhone?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

They better not release a ‘round’ Apple Watch.

The square shape is iconic at this stage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Dades wrote: »
    Pretty sure that round graphic indicates "what goes around comes around", meaning FM radio is finally back in play.

Sweet. :cool:

After all this time, Dades, still hanging in there for the FM receiver.:pac::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Looks like a HomePod from the top.

• Advertisement

Looks like a HomePod from the top.

It’s Apple’s headquarters, Apple Park

Uh oh. It’s seems like Apple have leaked stuff on urls that they thought no one was watching. Gonna to drop soon.

https://twitter.com/llsethj/status/1035227595862945793

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

9 to 5 Mac saying the new phones will be called iPhone XS

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/30/2018-iphone-xs-design-larger-version-gold-exclusive/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

peteeeed wrote: »
    9 to 5 Mac saying the new phones will be called iPhone XS

https://9to5mac.com/2018/08/30/2018-iphone-xs-design-larger-version-gold-exclusive/

I can’t believe they are going to call the phone XS!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Any idea if a new MacBook Air is on the horizon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

eeloe wrote: »
    They better not release a ‘round’ Apple Watch.

The square shape is iconic at this stage.

Ah come on it's not really

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Any idea if a new MacBook Air is on the horizon?

Yes, but probably in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I know the event is less than two weeks away but that’s a pretty big leak.

The new iPhone Xs(‘s)
    97_F15_B06_B0_C4_4_B92_B0_DB_A78761_A1_CE4_E.jpg

The new Apple Watch Series 4
    4325_E7_B3_CA11_42_EC_B7_C4_9_C91_C848_E3_B0.jpg

Looks like the iPhone will have the gold colour and bigger size, but wonder if they will drop the ‘Plus’ branding? Also, will the LCD version be iPhone 9?

I’m personally looking forward to the new Watch, and the bigger screen is a great addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Leaks all year have been spot on I was hoping for the plus. The new watch looks great with the bigger screen size. I think they will keep with the plus name for the bigger Xs Plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

Any sign of updated AirPods?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I’m not updating the phone this year as I have the X.
    But I am waiting on the watch update as my wedding present from Mrs. kceire.
    That and AirPods are on my wish list currently.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,709 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The new watch interface looks amazing!

That’s a lot of complications on the screen!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

adox wrote: »
    Any sign of updated AirPods?

All the reports I’ve seen point to a release date of 2019 for the 2nd Gen AirPods. Wireless charging case may be available this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Gekko

I got an 8 Plus last year

I can’t see myself getting an XS this year

Might be tempted to replace my old MB Air though depending on what the new one is like...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I don't get why the Apple Watch is still so FAT. Apple are usually obsessed with making everything thinner.

I'm in an upgrade year for my phone. Waiting to see the contract prices for them here (including last years' X) - and which of them still have 3D touch support.

If they lose 3D touch on the 6.1" cheaper model, I might just get last years X as it'll still have a better camera.

• Advertisement

Dades wrote: »
    I don't get why the Apple Watch is still so FAT. Apple are usually obsessed with making everything thinner.

I bet it was when they were first making it, they wanted to have what the Series 3 has from a feature point of view. gps, altimeter, cellular radio, all day battery, water proof to 50m etc. but couldn't fit it in yet due to manufacturing or miniaturisation processes.

Series 3 watch has everything they wanted so now they can slim it down, if they make it larger (i.e. 46mm being rumoured) it give enough volume to put a slimmer but bigger battery in it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I really don't see the watch being nicer if it gets bigger. Some of the other smart watches out there are far nicer and more stylish as it is.

whiterebel wrote: »
    I really don't see the watch being nicer if it gets bigger. Some of the other smart watches out there are far nicer and more stylish as it is.

name a smartwatch that has roughly the same functionality (nokia/withing watches excluded) and looks nicer?

name a smartwatch that has roughly the same functionality (nokia/withing watches excluded) and looks nicer?

Strange reply. I never said anything about functionality, and why remove those 2? I've never seen a Nokia, but the Withings offerings are nice.. As the Apple Watch is the only proper iOS device, I wouldn't expect the same functionality.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Strange reply. I never said anything about functionality, and why remove those 2? I've never seen a Nokia, but the Withings offerings are nice.. As the Apple Watch is the only proper iOS device, I wouldn't expect the same functionality.
    Not really that strange, was just curious as to what you thought was nicer looking.

Nokia now owns Withings basically the same watch. I removed them because they're not really that smart, yeah they have step tracking etc but they don't have gps, music streaming, cellular calls all the other things an Apple Watch does.

I guess I was thinking you were going to say some Android monstrosity was nicer looking :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

Any signs of an updated macmini?

Not really that strange, was just curious as to what you thought was nicer looking.

Nokia now owns Withings basically the same watch. I removed them because they're not really that smart, yeah they have step tracking etc but they don't have gps, music streaming, cellular calls all the other things an Apple Watch does.

I guess I was thinking you were going to say some Android monstrosity was nicer looking :pac:

The Withings is elegant. I also like the Huawei original watch, and the Sportwatch. Some of the Samsung S3 aren't bad. I don't know about functionality of other watches with iOS, I haven't investigated fully. I won't be going with another Apple Watch, though, it did seem to get laggy very quickly, despite it being only a few years old. Not that its cheap either. Once the apps lag, you tend not to use the functionality anyway...e.g nest is unusable on the series 0.

Might have a look at the one that is being launched at the moment which powers itself through body heat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

minikin wrote: »
    Any signs of an updated macmini?

Rumoured, yes, for October. Expected to be larger and a lot more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Nokia sold the business back to Withings this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Still using my jet black 7 plus. Might be tempted to change up for an XS Plus or whatever it ends up being called. Also glad to see a bigger watch screen, the 42mm feels still a tad too small for me.

Advertisement