Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living in a van (Dublin)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 motni

I have been doing this back in the day when I was a singleton driving around Europe.

Please be aware that CO2 builds up in the van if you sleep in it. There needs to be ventilation system of some kind.
    Basically one hole somewhere up and one hole somewhere down.

Once that is done next on the list is water. Get good jug with tap on the side those are the best for van dwelling.
    Then for cooking petrol powered camping stove is good because you can fill it up on gas stations with minimum costs. But it is noisy to run and is not adjustable, flame is full power or nothing. Gas stove is better but bit more pricier to run.
    Double battery system is third on the list. Any cheapo battery as second one will do. One of them deep cycle camping leisure batteries would be best but those are pricier and heavy/big. Then add simple relay system to charge both batteries when van is running and disconnect them when van is not running. Use the second battery for laptops and likes. When it's empty the van will still start in the morning with the original battery.

Do not run the van extend periods of time. It will clog the modern day particle filters or EGR systems and will probably draw unwanted attention to the van.

Gyms, camping sites, library's and coffee places are good places for van dweller. Those 24h big service stations like the applegreen in Coynes cross on M1 are good places to park the van for a moment.

It is little bit like lifestyle or something. Social life, work studies and whatnot will take hit. Van dwelling is time consuming and demands lot's of actual work and planning. You don't go home after work and have diner and pint then to sleep. You need to plan where to drive the van, what's the weather gonna be like and what you're going to eat etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

According to the RTE news the lady in question was offered and refused emergency housing on the basis that it was unsuitable to house her children, instead she chose to house her childern on chairs in one of the busiest Gardai Stations in the country.

If that is true then that lady should be ashamed of herself.She used her kids for a publicity stunt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭RickDeckard

Good Post above about lifestyle above , bang on, you do have to get your routine of finding decent spots to park, I have 3, and I rotate so I am am in a different spot each night, not to be noticed.

Once you have your night parking spots sorted and your hygiene taken care of, it all become normal soon enough and its no hassle at all for me now.

It will be scary and intimidating the first month or two, you will question yourself , that is normal. But when it starts to work for you and you see you bank balance rise, you will be a happy camper :)

As a previous poster said, vandog traveler is a great starting point, and was a big inspiration to me, although his base van was a rusted piece of crap in my opinion!

https://vandogtraveller.com/van-conversion-book-from-van-to-home/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

A thread like this pops up every now and again on here and I wonder does anyone ever go through with it.

dar_cool wrote: »
    A thread like this pops up every now and again on here and I wonder does anyone ever go through with it.

Well, I do it, do it well, done it for a year and intend to do it for the next two years.

Its the best strategic decision I've ever made.

Its just such a left field idea in Ireland that people sh!t on it straight away, but totally normal in the rest of the world.

No, its not too cold in the winter - get a diesel heater.

I am spotlessly clean.

All the neysayers have no idea what they are talking about, literally.

This lifestyle is there for the taking, and the way our country is being run, I see it as a very sensible solution.

Not for everyone, but if you got fire in the belly, do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

yabadabado wrote: »
    If that is true then that lady should be ashamed of herself.She used her kids for a publicity stunt?
    I dont know there is a thread here https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057899809

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭keithdub

Have you thought of getting a camper or caravan and looking into a small storage yard the explain to the owner your situation he might let you stay it's extra security for me also

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

I've been seriously intrigued about this idea ever since I read the story about a Google employee doing it in San Francisco a number of years ago to escape soaring rents there. I've always saw it as really beating the system, but I don't think I'd have the balls to actually go through with it.

The immediate financial advantages I can see in doing this would be:
    • No Rent
    • No Utility Bills
    • No Commuting Cost (if you can park close to where you work)
    The above would probably mean being able to save up to 80-90% of your income in the month.

I moved out of my apartment close to work and now the two of us are living in the family home with my parents to save up a deposit for a house.
    We would have the advantage of not paying rent as a result but we are paying some utility bills. However one disadvantage is that I now have an 80km round trip commute to work vs a 20km one before so my fuel cost has gone up but the savings make the commute well worthwhile.

Living in a van would cerntainly speed up getting a bigger deposit together though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭10pennymixup

Plenty of locations. Grand canal dock and the moorings fees are quiet reasonable. Can buy a barge for as much as you’d pay on rent in one year. Alternatively the Shannon. I’m sure there’s more I’m just not familiar with them. I was considering buying a barge at grand canal dock a few years ago as an investment.

The GCD has a waiting list as long as your arm. The extended mooring permit was raised to €3500pa, and along with liveaboard insurance which is required to get the license, pumpout fee's, deposit etc you wont get much change out of 5k pa.

Any barge that you buy for a "years rent" (circa sub 15k) will most likely need to be surveyed initially then regularly out of the water for insurance. So throw on another €5/700 and try find anywhere near Dublin to do that. They don't give a permit to let any old sieve into the GCD.

Plus any barge sub 15k is going to need some serious money put into it sooner more than later. A new narrowbeam barge in the UK sells for on average £100k stg, what do you think a €15k in Ireland (if you can find one) is like underneath the waterline (or inside).

The boat exampled by the other poster looks like a dutch platbodem westlander with a top from the seventies and hull possibly older can't see if it's riveted (some of these boats hulls go back to the 20s/30's). 24v electric not 12v, no mention of a holding tank and an ancient engine that's getting harder and harder to get parts for. You'd be throwing money at it

GRP boats with a diesel heater would be a cheaper option but the condensation in Winter puts most people off. And they to need maintenance.

AFAIK there is no other extended mooring permit zone in Dublin, which is where the OP was looking (it's in the title). The next nearest mooring zones to Dublin (Hazelhatch, Sallins etc) are also full.

The nearest the Shannon gets to Dublin is Athlone. On the Shannon only a few private marinas allow/ tolerate it, and they too cost decent money. Doing it elsewhere on the Shannon and canals is done, but not legally. Waterways Ireland have recently cleared out Tullamore by lifting and impounding illegal boats, they'll be doing the same in Shannon harobour at the start of September

Living on board on a fixed mooring legally in Dublin is expensive and very difficult to achieve. One of the reasons why so few do it and probably why you never ended up doing it. It's far from a viable alternative to living in a van on the cheap.

And a canal barge as an investment is a poor idea, new ones depreciate in value, and old ones need constant expensive maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

yabadabado wrote: »

its a complete scam, doing it for publicity to try subvert her way to the top of the housing list. she's been offered two houses and declined. Also if you find her name, she bought a 1000 euro communion dress for daughter less than a month ago, and was out on the piss and buying waterford crystal last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Yes, its possible.

I work in Cork, a full time professional in a good status job and live in a van.

Been living in my van for a year. Nobody at work knows.

Fuc*ked if I am giving all my money to rent gangsters and I am to old to share with randomers. I also have my dogs which stay with me often.

Best move Ive ever made.

For full time - You need a long wheel base, high roof van, gas cooker, insulation and most overlooked - ventilation, damp in a bitch in the Winter.

I choose a Sprinter.

You need a 100Ah 12v battery to run your laptop, lights and USB stuff, all charged by a Voltage Sensitive Regulator hooked to the engine. Solar is a possibility.

If you can shower at work - that is a huge bonus, I am putting in a shower /toilet soon in mine.

Build yourself a decent fixed bed with a real mattress.

You need to be willing to learn how to do the basic conversion and stuff, I had NO experience in any of this and have learnt everything along the way.

Everything is on google. Be brave and tear into it. It can be done quite cheaply, my sprinter was E3500 once I had it serviced and on the road, and maybe another E1000 for basic conversion so I can start to live in it.

Once your in it, you can keep tipping away at the conversion , by the time Im done, my van will be nicer than 90% of small apartments out there, I a have a lot of plans still.

Tax etc - Insured as a commercial and taxed as private van, this is a huge dark area , I am re-registering the van as a camper for tax and insurance before Winter. Paperwork and official Ireland is the tricky part of the whole set up.

Mentally, you need to be open minded, not judge yourself for doing it - I think I am ahead of the game here and surviving well in a tough environment.

IN NO WAY DOES MY LIFE CHOICE MAKE ME FEEL A FAILURE / LESSER THAN OTHERS. I get a kick from beating the system a bit.

Maintain your social life in the evenings - so you are not in van all the time. Embrace it and pat yourself on the back for being gung ho and thinking outside the box. So many Irish are total judgemental conformists.

URBAN VANNING:

Keep the van low key, mine looks like a commercial goods van outside, windows in the roof, none in the side. Plenty of light and no on knows I'm in here.

Parking - You will find a few spots around the place if you look, open your eyes and get on google maps.

Night Parking Golden Rule - Get to your spot late and leave early. Do not get out of van once parked for night, be invisible.

Ive had ZERO hassle from Guards, drunks , anyone, and I am parking in the center of Cork.

I am proud of the life I have carved out, I am saving for a deposit for a house, and actually getting somewhere.

My running costs are food, fuel and I do service teh van twice a year as I rely on her so much.

You will develop a bond with the vehicle, beyond a mere van.

I think its very, very ,much like being on a boat. You MUST be clean and tidy, this will not work if you are a slob, small spaces get destroyed quickly from day to day living.

I'm glad someone else is thinking this, Just do it, if it dont work out for you, at least you tried.

Think outside the box, have faith in yourself and do it, and FU%K what society thinks.

Fair play to you. Must be a handy way to put aside decent savings as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

Yes, its possible.

I work in Cork, a full time professional in a good status job and live in a van.

Fuc*ked if I am giving all my money to rent gangsters and I am to old to share with randomers. I also have my dogs which stay with me often.

Best move Ive ever made.

For full time - You need a long wheel base, high roof van, gas cooker, insulation and most overlooked - ventilation, damp in a bitch in the Winter.

I choose a Sprinter.

You need a 100Ah 12v battery to run your laptop, lights and USB stuff, all charged by a Voltage Sensitive Regulator hooked to the engine. Solar is a possibility.

If you can shower at work - that is a huge bonus, I am putting in a shower /toilet soon in mine.

Build yourself a decent fixed bed with a real mattress.

You need to be willing to learn how to do the basic conversion and stuff, I had NO experience in any of this and have learnt everything along the way.

Everything is on google. Be brave and tear into it. It can be done quite cheaply, my sprinter was E3500 once I had it serviced and on the road, and maybe another E1000 for basic conversion so I can start to live in it.

Once your in it, you can keep tipping away at the conversion , by the time Im done, my van will be nicer than 90% of small apartments out there, I a have a lot of plans still.

Tax etc - Insured as a commercial and taxed as private van, this is a huge dark area , I am re-registering the van as a camper for tax and insurance before Winter. Paperwork and official Ireland is the tricky part of the whole set up.

Mentally, you need to be open minded, not judge yourself for doing it - I think I am ahead of the game here and surviving well in a tough environment.

IN NO WAY DOES MY LIFE CHOICE MAKE ME FEEL A FAILURE / LESSER THAN OTHERS. I get a kick from beating the system a bit.

Maintain your social life in the evenings - so you are not in van all the time. Embrace it and pat yourself on the back for being gung ho and thinking outside the box. So many Irish are total judgemental conformists.

URBAN VANNING:

Keep the van low key, mine looks like a commercial goods van outside, windows in the roof, none in the side. Plenty of light and no on knows I'm in here.

Parking - You will find a few spots around the place if you look, open your eyes and get on google maps.

Night Parking Golden Rule - Get to your spot late and leave early. Do not get out of van once parked for night, be invisible.

Ive had ZERO hassle from Guards, drunks , anyone, and I am parking in the center of Cork.

I am proud of the life I have carved out, I am saving for a deposit for a house, and actually getting somewhere.

My running costs are food, fuel and I do service teh van twice a year as I rely on her so much.

You will develop a bond with the vehicle, beyond a mere van.

I think its very, very ,much like being on a boat. You MUST be clean and tidy, this will not work if you are a slob, small spaces get destroyed quickly from day to day living.

I'm glad someone else is thinking this, Just do it, if it dont work out for you, at least you tried.

Think outside the box, have faith in yourself and do it, and FU%K what society thinks.

What type of window do you have on the roof ? is it like a sun roof ?

<snipped lengthly post>

You need to be willing to learn how to do the basic conversion and stuff, I had NO experience in any of this and have learnt everything along the way

Tax etc - Insured as a commercial and taxed as private van, this is a huge dark area , I am re-registering the van as a camper for tax and insurance before Winter. Paperwork and official legal Ireland is the tricky part of the whole set up.

I get a kick from beating the system law a bit.

Keep the van low key, mine looks like a commercial goods van outside, windows in the roof, none in the side. Plenty of light and no on knows I'm in here. Why?

Night Parking Golden Rule - Get to your spot late and leave early. Do not get out of van once parked for night, be invisible. Why

Think outside the box, have faith in yourself and do it, and FU%K what society the law thinks.

I'm all for free living and thinking outside the box or whatever expression you prefer, each to their own. But when done it should be done properly.

Insured as a commercial yet used for private purposes, unprofessional conversion and log book not marked as a campervan/motorhome. How legit is your insurance policy? Do they even know you've modified it?

What happens if you crash into me looking around for your late night covert parking spot, or your gas installation leaks and blows destroying my property that you parked beside (hopefully you're not in the van, genuinely)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

I'm all for free living and thinking outside the box or whatever expression you prefer, each to their own. But when done it should be done properly.

Insured as a commercial yet used for private purposes, unprofessional conversion and log book not marked as a campervan/motorhome. How legit is your insurance policy? Do they even know you've modified it?

What happens if you crash into me looking around for your late night covert parking spot, or your gas installation leaks and blows destroying my property that you parked beside (hopefully you're not in the van, genuinely)?

You'll still be indemnified by his insurance if he hits you/damages your property or even blows up your garden furniture

However, he will possibly be open to being pursued by the insurance co. for the costs to pay you, but that would be between him and them..

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thank you for this thread;, so good to know folk are thinking and acting like this.

You'll still be indemnified by his insurance if he hits you/damages your property or even blows up your garden furniture

However, he will possibly be open to being pursued by the insurance co. for the costs to pay you, but that would be between him and them..

Even if he hasn't informed the insurance company of the modifications? Never mind having them certified and passing a CRW. Surely that would nullify any policy and you'd be let chasing him personally?

Would it not be like some young yahoo knowingly insuring an illegally modified car as a bog standard car, after lowering the suspension, fitting over sized tyres that rub the arch, tint the windows to near black out, remove the small engine and fit some nitro fueled monster etc Basically turn it in to a non roadworthy death trap.

I would be delighted to hear the fraudulently obtained policy would still cover the yob, but surprised. I thought you'd have to go down the route of the MIBI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Even if he hasn't informed the insurance company of the modifications? Never mind having them certified and passing a CRW. Surely that would nullify any policy and you'd be let chasing him personally?

Would it not be like some young yahoo knowingly insuring an illegally modified car as a bog standard car, after lowering the suspension, fitting over sized tyres that rub the arch, tint the windows to near black out, remove the small engine and fit some nitro fueled monster etc Basically turn it in to a non roadworthy death trap.

I would be delighted to hear the fraudulently obtained policy would still cover the yob, but surprised.

It still covers the 3rd party yes, all that other shyte you mention - also yes, the 3rd party is still covered.

The guy who took out the policy will have a problem alright. but not the 3rd party.

i.e. the 3rd party (you) are still covered by his insurance, whether he has lied/not practised good faith/not disclosed etc. etc.

Now if he had no insurance policy at all, your gripe would be real, but he has one, so no gripe required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Been living in my van for a year. Nobody at work knows.....

Maintain your social life in the evenings - so you are not in van all the time.

How do you manage this? Work colleagues, social friends must all surely ask where you live from time to time. Do you just make something up?

Don't see anything particularly odd with it, after all some people travel in camper vans for months on end. I'd have thought though that a permanent arrangement with someone to park up would take the daily hassle out of it?

It still covers the 3rd party yes, all that other shyte you mention - also yes, the 3rd party is still covered.

The guy who took out the policy will have a problem alright. but not the 3rd party.

i.e. the 3rd party (you) are still covered by his insurance, whether he has lied/not practised good faith/not disclosed etc. etc.

Now if he had no insurance policy at all, your gripe would be real, but he has one, so no gripe required.

According to your logic a disqualified driver can purchase a 3rd party policy and be insured. They're not, when caught they get done for driving without insurance. In the case of an accident the 3rd party claims of the MIBI.

Buying a insurance policy doesn't mean you're insured and like most right minded people deliberately driving whilst not insured is a justifiable gripe. Don't going using the fact that I can get recompense off the MIBI in case of a claim as a just reason for illegal off grid living.

Get a CRW for a properly certified campervan and proper insurance and park where it is legal, legally disposing of your "shyte" etc, and I don't have a gripe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭NewCorkLad

Yes, its possible.

Brilliant, love this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

What happens when/if you fall in love? Hope he/she has a house? :D

Sounds pretty isolating to be honest, at some point you'll want to drop anchor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I would be delighted to hear the fraudulently obtained policy would still cover the yob, but surprised. I thought you'd have to go down the route of the MIBI.

Yes, even if he lied through his teeth, third parties are still covered. The insurance company can choose to take a civil case against the insured then to recover their losses.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

According to your logic a disqualified driver can purchase a 3rd party policy and be insured. They're not, when caught they get done for driving without insurance. In the case of an accident the 3rd party claims of the MIBI.

Buying a insurance policy doesn't mean you're insured and like most right minded people deliberately driving whilst not insured is a justifiable gripe. Don't going using the fact that I can get recompense off the MIBI in case of a claim as a just reason for illegal off grid living.

Get a CRW for a properly certified campervan and proper insurance and park where it is legal, legally disposing of your "shyte" etc, and I don't have a gripe.

Third parties will still be insured where there is a policy in place. The MIBI fund is for uninsured claims.

Windows - 2 of these :

http://www.rainbow-conversions.co.uk/rooflights-vents/fiamma-turbo-vent-premium-40-crystal.html

One with fan, one without.

I only plan to do this for a few years until I have monesy saved.

Paperwork - Its started out as a commercial van, Ive passed CVRT with as it is now.

Once I finish a bit of work on a few weeks, it will be fully registered to a camper van. The work I have to get done is to fulfill the legal requirement for re-reg.

Then I get camper van insurance. I have a small car as a 'primary vehicle'.

Yes, I will be in the camper van full time under the camper v
    an insurance, you are not supposed to daily drive a campervan.

But that's the worst thing against the Irish state in what I am doing.

The goverment's policy pushed me into this , I want to be a 100% legal, covered and safe and legit as I can possibly be , but I'm in a grey area, and frankly this is survival.

To each their own, not everybody thinks the same and solves problems the same way.

Romance - If someone does not under stand where I am coming from on this then we would not click.

If /when I meet a nice person, for sure I'd share a gaff, if we could rent at affordable rate some whrere.

This is about me giving myself a competitive advantage in life at this time in my life, because no other fukk#r will give it to me, will they?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

You will surely need a side window to pass the SQI inspection and have revenue accept the conversion?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

RickDeckard what a cool read, fair play to you. Best of luck saving.

You will surely need a side window to pass the SQI inspection and have revenue accept the conversion?

Ive heard both ways, Even if I have to put in a little side window, that's no problem.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    How do you manage this? Work colleagues, social friends must all surely ask where you live from time to time. Do you just make something up?

Don't see anything particularly odd with it, after all some people travel in camper vans for months on end. I'd have thought though that a permanent arrangement with someone to park up would take the daily hassle out of it?

I'm self employed contractor so I can remain quite private at work, of course friends know, as its all I talk about. I keep a fairly tight line on private life v work life anyway. I don't find its an issue, I just mention town X where I lived before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

We are in the midst of a housing crisis,
    there simply not enough rental housing for everyone that needs it.
    Some landlords were put out of business due to the banking crisis ,or borrowing too much.Even people with a good job are finding it hard to
    find rental accomodation.
    Its hard to save for a deposit on a house if you are paying 1000, euro rent.
    Theres always articles about people living in vans or
    travelling in converted vans on daily mail uk.
    Its possible to eat in mcdonalds or buy a small gas hob .
    Theres a shop in mooore st that sells kitchen equipment,
    mini gas stoves .
    I cannot remember it being as bad as this ,
    its so hard to find good accomodation.
    The change in rules to ban bedsits reduced the supply of rental units
    and made it harder for single people to find rental accomodation.
    It makes sense to save money for a deposit,
    rather than spend it on rent .
    If you have a paln to buy in a few years .
    see here http://thevanual.com/
    http://www.buildagreenrv.com/diy-rv-conversions/diy-van-conversions/

Most of the new rental units being built in dublin are designed for student
    accomodation and they are expensive.

Advertisement