Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "What is this English word/phrase in Irish" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Le dreach stuama....is said in Donegal for straight-faced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,653 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi. What is the Irish for for Ken or Kenneth? Cheers.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Cionaoth in Irish Gaelic.
    Coinneach in Scottish Gaelic.

An gal gre wrote: »
    Cionaoth in Irish Gaelic.
    Coinneach in Scottish Gaelic.

Cheers AGG.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭flexcon

Glorious people.

Could any of you fine folk translate this to Irish? It will be a tattoo for a close friend.

"Keep her safe"

Thank you in advanced!

• Advertisement

Coinnigh sábháilte í.

A less literal way would be Go mbeidh sí slán.

Others may have different ways of expressing it.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's "a choinneáil í sabháilte" imo. It's supposed to be continuous I presume so that would be it.

Having said that, the phrase is a turn-of-phrase in (Hiberno-)English so there may be a translation for the sentiment rather than the phrase.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I must say I prefer An Gal Gréine's suggestion.

The latter looks more like "that kept her safe" to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭flexcon

Coinnigh sábháilte í.

A less literal way would be Go mbeidh sí slán.

Others may have different ways of expressing it.
    It's "a choinneáil í sabháilte" imo. It's supposed to be continuous I presume so that would be it.

Having said that, the phrase is a turn-of-phrase in (Hiberno-)English so there may be a translation for the sentiment rather than the phrase.
    I must say I prefer An Gal Gréine's suggestion.

The latter looks more like "that kept her safe" to me.

That's great guys thanks, very much appreciate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm afraid I can't spell this correctly but can anyone help me with the correct spelling and meaning of a word called 'Crauntahaun' ..... I think it may be from Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I don't recognize it. What was the context you heard it in? That might help narrow the search.

There's one match for "crantachán" on the Internet, from a folklore survey in 1989 in Cluain Eamhain (Roscommon).

It is translated as "a wretch" but it's also noted that the word doesn't appear in the dictionary.

http://pobal.drum.ie/about/townlands/clonown/history/irish-language

There's a fine list of insults there with it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,952 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I believe it's a mild insult, like calling someone a fecker, blaggard etc.

I believe it's a mild insult, like calling someone a fecker, blaggard etc.

Looks like the one I posted above, in that case. "Crantachán". I'll have to add that one to my arsenal. :D

Hi. Today, I noticed on a Bus Eireann stop - the words 's t a d c h' (not certain of spelling and since Irish words don't appear properly for me - I included an image) that might mean 'stop code'. Can anyone verify this? Thanks guys.

477098.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Snag Darach

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi. Today, I noticed on a Bus Eireann stop - the words 's t a d c h' (not certain of spelling and since Irish words don't appear properly for me - I included an image) that might mean 'stop code'. Can anyone verify this? Thanks guys.

477098.png

I've never used it myself but it's probably the code for the bus-stop when you're texting the bus to pick you up.

I've never used it myself but it's probably the code for the bus-stop when you're texting the bus to pick you up.

Hi Snag Darach. I was in the bus at a bus stop so may not have seen it properly. Is the word in Irish that I posted spelt correctly and does it match the English, 'stop code'? Also - what do you mean by 'texting the bus to pick you up'?

Would this be more accurate? 'ctad' -- Propery spelling shown here: https://www.wordhippo.com/what-is/dynamic-translation/4f532d350c771c87eb3d5db4827acd83431d5f44.html

"Stadchód" would be a compound word. You'd recognise it from the séimhiú in the "cód" part of the term.

"Stadchód" would be a compound word. You'd recognise it from the séimhiú in the "cód" part of the term.

Hi IO. Would it be a correct translation of 'stop code'?

• Advertisement

Can someone please confirm?

Hi IO. Would it be a correct translation of 'stop code'?
    Can someone please confirm?

Yes, stadchód would be a perfect translation for "stop-code". :)

Yes, stadchód would be a perfect translation for "stop-code". :)

Cheers IO.

Hi.

Are both of these correct?
    • I'm in trouble. - T dtriobl
    • I'm in trouble. - T i dtriobl
    If the Irish words are not showing properly - I've also attached an image:
    487331.png

Yes, they are.

Yes, they are.

Cheers, AGG. I appreciate it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Cad é and Gaelige ar fádh "Brexit"? "Sasamach"? :)

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,703 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Go hiontach ar fád! :D

mikhail wrote: »
    Cad é and Gaelige ar fádh "Brexit"? "Sasamach"? :)

"Breatimeacht" is the one used most often in the news and media, but "Sasamach" would be well understood by most speakers as well. "Bréalú" was suggested at one stage.

• Advertisement

Hi.

Are these phrases accurate?
    • cork historic centre - cearcla chorca*]kindness diary - dialann cineais
    • Volunteer Cork - Ionad d'Obair Dheonach, Corcaigh

Also - is 'thpie' an Irish word? Or just the name of a company in Cork City?

The Irish words don't show properly after posting so I've attached a screenshot.

497080.png

Bhu

Advertisement