Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

ARCTIC MC001-N ~ MultiMedia Barebone PC - €114.95 Delivered. [Amazon.de]

• 22-01-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

I just bought this - €99.95 + €15 Shipping from Amazon.de. I think it's a great price.

ARCTIC MC001-N - Home Entertainment Center - Multi Media Computer - Barebone PC

CPU Dual Core Intel Atom D525 (1.8GHz)
    Graphics ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5430, 512MB GDDR3
    Chipset Intel NM10
    Memory Compatibility Max. memory size: 2 x 4GB
    Memory type: SODIMM DDR3 800/1066/1333
    Storage Form factor: 2.5” (9.5 mm thick only)
    ODD Form factor: 5.25” Slim
    Wireless IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
    LAN 10/100/1000 Ethernet
    TV Tuner (included) DVB-T
    Back Panel
    3.5mm audio I/O jack x 6 (7.1 OUT x 4, LINE IN x 1, MIC x 1)
    SPDIF port/optical x 1
    VGA port x 1
    HDTV interface x 1 (HDTV cable included)
    Ethernet RJ45 port x 1
    USB 2.0 port x 5
    DC power jack x 1
    Front Panel
    IR receiver x 1
    USB 3.0 port x 2
    3.5mm stereo I/O jack x 2 (Headphone, Mic)
    4-in-1 memory card reader x 1
    Power Supply 19V DC 60W
    Volume 1.5 L

Full Spec Here

4GB RAM for €22
    You can also add their remote for €12.95
    I also just noticed the MC001-E is only €119.95

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Nice looking device, pity about the Atom Processor, I'm out:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

That is a good deal.

The E version just seems to add a DVD-RW, which is a bit steep @ €20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

livEwirE wrote: »

I hear ya.. But i'm only going to use it for TV/Media..

Still a great price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

Yeah, to be fair, not too shabby at all, I'd like to use something like this for BD ISO playback + HD Netflix, unfortunately I don't think the Atom CPU would cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

There are a number of good reasons to have an Atom, rather than, say an i3 or some such. Cost and power consumption are the main ones I can think of. Heat dissipation is another.

• Advertisement

Yeah, to be fair, not too shabby at all, I'd like to use something like this for BD ISO playback + HD Netflix, unfortunately I don't think the Atom CPU would cut it.

I'm not 100% but i think it can. That's mostly why i bought it. Because it can handle most quality you throw at it.

Isn't the Atom D525 in the Zotax barebones? And some of the Lenovo?

The Zotac handles Blu-ray no problem at all.

This one.. - http://www.zotacusa.com/products/mini-pcs/zbox-id36-blu-ray-3d.html

My laptop crashed as i was writing.. :mad:

The delivery states expect it from 31st Jan to 13th(i think) of Feb. I hope it comes sooner, i have had that happen a few times.
    I can't say/see any faults with this at all for the price..

I hope i'm not wrong..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Seems good to me. Perfect for 1080P playback with ultra low consumption and noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

that's why it's paired with ATI card with hardware acceleration

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭jabberwock

Looks really nice. Please let us know how it goes when it arrives. :)

jabberwock wrote: »
    Looks really nice. Please let us know how it goes when it arrives. :)

Will do, but it looks like it's not going to get here until the 31st at least. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Very tempted by this - have been looking at other devices such as google TV but really like the idea of having a PC at the TV. It looks like it has HDMI to the rear. There is no hard drive (barebone?) so need to source one. No CD/DVD/Bluray drive...will probably not need one...might want one for it to run discs at TV location.

Anyone care to comment on what is else is needed to get it up and running. Oh, and of course, you should be able to install a licensed version of windows if needed [paid licensed etc.] :)

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Very tempted by this - have been looking at other devices such as google TV but really like the idea of having a PC at the TV. It looks like it has HDMI to the rear. There is no hard drive (barebone?) so need to source one. No CD/DVD/Bluray drive...will probably not need one...might want one for it to run discs at TV location.

Anyone care to comment on what is else is needed to get it up and running. Oh, and of course, you should be able to install a licensed version of windows if needed [paid licensed etc.] :)

The one at the bottom of the OP has a DVD/CD player. If you want, for extra €20

I don't plan on using it as a DVD or CD player, just behind the TV.

Anything that may be required is at the bottom of the first post, except the hard drive, as i am thinking of getting a SSD.

As for the OS.. I'll be installing THIS

Here are some reviews of it, these reviews are of the same model with Blu-Ray player and hardware and OS included.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nettop-zbox-coreht-252b,3036-2.html

http://www.rossgerring.com/2011/10/review-arctic-mc001-silent.html

http://www.rossgerring.com/2011/10/review-arctic-mc001-silent.html

This one does have the DVB-T tuner included, most say it's optional.

DVB-T can be useful once its hardware can pipe through the X16 flag from Saorview - software shouldn't be a problem once the hardware is up to it. An SSD would be great to keep noise down. I really do like the idea of this slim tower as it does passive cooling so keeping noise to a minimum with less fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Mr McBoatface

Cheers OP, bought one with the DVD Drive. I'm planing on using it as a Mediaportal TV client/front end. Sure if it doesn't work out i use it as my Internet PC.

Also from the specs the built in IR reciever is RC6 so it should work with any existing Microsoft Media Centre Remote (I've a spare one floating around). Just picked up 4gb of ram on adverts.ie for twenty euro, I've a nice spare SSD to try on it too.... happy days.

Good value ram availible from here too - http://www.memoryc.com/computermemory/ddr3sodimm.html cheap enough shipping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Will Sky Go work on XBMC on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Any comments on this vs a google tv device? I want to dl torrents, watch them in sd or 720p, and use sky go

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Any comments on this vs a google tv device? I want to dl torrents, watch them in sd or 720p, and use sky go

Google TV devices are good, but nothing compared to something like this imo.

I have a couple of Google TV devices, I have a set top box, and a couple of sticks.
    All good, but this would be much better. Especially for multitasking if you wanted to.
    For example if i want to share a movie and music over the network at the same time downloading a torrent or whatever, whilst watching a movie, this will do it with ease. Some google devices can struggle with just streaming. Also they can't yet play 1080p streaming.
    Whereas this should play everything you throw at it.
    Including a full Blu-Ray ISO - Lossless Codec at, for example 20GB.

A google TV device may be able to play that, but it definitely couldn't do much else. And there would be feck all storage for anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

For an average user is the lack an OS an issue.

Have an Acer R3610, is this a considerable upgrade?

naughtb4 wrote: »
    For an average user is the lack an OS an issue.

Have an Acer R3610, is this a considerable upgrade?

No definitely not, there are many OS's you can download for free and install easily. In no particular order
    XBMCbuntu, Ubuntu, PC-BSD,and Zorin OS

I don't know if i'd consider it an Upgrade.. The Acer R3610 is a good PC, and should still be able to handle modern codecs/streaming. This is better imo, but not by so much that i'd call it an upgrade. If you are looking for a Nettop/Mini PC that can do all the Acer can, and more, then yes.
    It has a lot more ports and supports USB 3.0 amongst other things. The CPU is slightly better and while i don't have the exact specs for the Acer, i'd guess this has better graphics also.
    So for €114.95 you can't go wrong. You could use the RAM and HD from the Acer, or you could buy new ones adding roughly €40 to the overall price.

This is still for sale on many websites at €250 + as barebones.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sparxz

I'm impressed. That is a nifty wee machine. I am intrigued by the amount of memory upgrade capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Allyall wrote: »
    No definitely not, there are many OS's you can download for free and install easily. In no particular order
    XBMCbuntu, Ubuntu, PC-BSD,and Zorin OS

I don't know if i'd consider it an Upgrade.. The Acer R3610 is a good PC, and should still be able to handle modern codecs/streaming. This is better imo, but not by so much that i'd call it an upgrade. If you are looking for a Nettop/Mini PC that can do all the Acer can, and more, then yes.
    It has a lot more ports and supports USB 3.0 amongst other things. The CPU is slightly better and while i don't have the exact specs for the Acer, i'd guess this has better graphics also.
    So for €114.95 you can't go wrong. You could use the RAM and HD from the Acer, or you could buy new ones adding roughly €40 to the overall price.

This is still for sale on many websites at €250 + as barebones.

Seems worth considering :)

Thanks for that, biggest issue at the moment with the acer is the wifi is patehtically poor

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've an R3610 as well and i'm seriously considering this (as an addition, not instead of).

the problem with the R3610 is that a bug in the motherboard chipset won't allow you to use more than 3.25gb of RAM (minus any shared with the gfx card, up to 512mb) even if you have 4gb installed and a 64bit OS, so you are limited there.

the D525 atom CPU is only slightly faster than the one in the R3610, but the other components will push the speed gap up a bit more as well, not to mention the extra RAM capacity.

an SSD in the R3610 would boost the overall speed considerably so it might be worth thinking about that instead for now as you'd probably end up getting an SSD and more RAM for the Arctic M001-N anyway.

anyway, the Arctic is definitely a bargain at that price imho, but if you're only planning on using it to play video's on our TV, you might be better off with a raspberry pi running XBMC and save a few quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

This one seems to have memory, disk, Windows 7 and blu-ray included for €240 plus shipping

http://www.amazon.de/Arctic-Cooling-Mediacenter-MC001-BD-T-DVB-T-Tuner/dp/tech-data/B005FYQKB4/ref=de_a_smtd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭yesno1234

vibe666 wrote: »
    i've an R3610 as well and i'm seriously considering this (as an addition, not instead of).

the problem with the R3610 is that a bug in the motherboard chipset won't allow you to use more than 3.25gb of RAM (minus any shared with the gfx card, up to 512mb) even if you have 4gb installed and a 64bit OS, so you are limited there.

the D525 atom CPU is only slightly faster than the one in the R3610, but the other components will push the speed gap up a bit more as well, not to mention the extra RAM capacity.

an SSD in the R3610 would boost the overall speed considerably so it might be worth thinking about that instead for now as you'd probably end up getting an SSD and more RAM for the Arctic M001-N anyway.

anyway, the Arctic is definitely a bargain at that price imho, but if you're only planning on using it to play video's on our TV, you might be better off with a raspberry pi running XBMC and save a few quid?

Afaik there was a workaround for the max ram. I've a Eee 1201n and it had the same problem but a bios update and some sort of workaround allowed more ram to be taken advantage. I'm not fully sure of the techy details (not up to date these days), not sure if it's the same problem.

the_pod wrote: »
    This one seems to have memory, disk, Windows 7 and blu-ray included for €240 plus shipping

http://www.amazon.de/Arctic-Cooling-Mediacenter-MC001-BD-T-DVB-T-Tuner/dp/tech-data/B005FYQKB4/ref=de_a_smtd

Sh!t that's tempting...now where's the SSD version? :cool:

****edit: ok, 15euro shipping cost on the blu-ray version. Still so tempted....was looking on Adverts.ie and its very difficult to get something this good second hand even at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Just ordered one, cheers OP !!!

Thanks a mil !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

Wonder would it support a dvb-s2 card instead of the dvb-t

Advertisement