Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WeightWatchers & "How Many ProPoints?" Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Oh dear god people...I cant get back on the wagon... i was uplb 2 wks ago and up 3lb last week...im slowly fading into oblivion...!!

Woke up in great form with food plans and exercise and i ended up in agony in the gym wit pulld muscle and gave in to some bikkies..!!:(

Heads wrecked have had alot on lately wi college my 21st comin up work n friends..Thing is iv done it already i jus cnt seem to get back to my 4 stone loss.. an den again near goal..

Iv 14lb to go..!! I was already dwn at 4lb left but now im all over the place..!!

I was thinkin of changin WI days to friday!! as i seem to be so good monday to friday with my routine and gym ya no..

Does anyone have any much needed advice please??

I dnt want to give up...when im at my best i feel amazin after losing the weight i just need help at mo!!

xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey there, im a 15st male using the pure points system. With som eexercise, can anyone tell me how much i can expect to loose in the first week, presuming I stick to the plan religiously!??

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

Down 6 pounds in my first meeting. It's more than likely unsustainable so I'd be happy with a decrease of 2-4 pounds next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Donnaghm

thehamo wrote: »
    Hey there, im a 15st male using the pure points system. With som eexercise, can anyone tell me how much i can expect to loose in the first week, presuming I stick to the plan religiously!??

It depends on if you're carrying a lot of fat or not. If you're tall, then you're probably not that overweight so you'd loose about 2-3 pounds. If you're short, then you could potentially loose half a stone. Results won't be as dramatic thereafter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

Oh dear god people...I cant get back on the wagon... i was uplb 2 wks ago and up 3lb last week...im slowly fading into oblivion...!!

Woke up in great form with food plans and exercise and i ended up in agony in the gym wit pulld muscle and gave in to some bikkies..!!:(

Heads wrecked have had alot on lately wi college my 21st comin up work n friends..Thing is iv done it already i jus cnt seem to get back to my 4 stone loss.. an den again near goal..

Iv 14lb to go..!! I was already dwn at 4lb left but now im all over the place..!!

I was thinkin of changin WI days to friday!! as i seem to be so good

monday to friday with my routine and gym ya no..

Shelly, I'm bac yet again, and part of that is down to you. I checked every week or so and your persistance has been inspirational. I can really relate to you, but the difference is regardless you have stuck it out. When I started back last week I chose Monday, mainly because if I left it it would have been another 5 days. I'm gonna change it to Friday this week as getting on the scales and seeing the results, good or bad, had kept me a bit more honest over the dreaded w/e. Stick it out Shelly, something is gonna click with you and you'l be bac on the straight and narrow again, cud be a photo a comment or even seeing something u'd like to wear.

I was up 2lbs on Mon, and that was down to emotional eating, thought I'd controlled that but no. My son was seriously injured in a GAA match last Mon and b4 I knew what was happening I was constantly grazing. I'm disgusted with myself.
    I'm gonna set a goal of 11st 7lbs for xmas. with my new wi day of friday. At the moment I just want to maintain for friday and gain anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

From reading lots of threads, people who have wi on friday - how do ye find friday? I have wi on a monday, used to be a thursday but found if i was bad for the weekend i would be bad till the next thursday but that has changed as have controlled eating to a point so only tend to be bad for a day or two!

Is friday a good wi day?

Thanks

Shelly the motivation will come back. Mine was gone, just couldn't be bothered (I dont need to loose that much but still wanna loose it) and I kept thinking why bother. But when I did bother, i felt great cos i was exercising and not eating crap and felt so much better. Think of the feeling at your 21st / Christmas when you go out for your 21st / Stephens night and people don't even recognise you!!! It's your 21st, you will remember it, don't be too hard on yourself either. A small snack here and there is ok. Getting time for exercise with college is hard too. I have started to go at 7.30 in the morning when my boyfriend leaves for work as don't have time otherwise!!!!!

On the eating in college - I am classed as a nut case!!! I can't eat wheat or dairy so I ALWAYS have food in my bag!!! I am the only girl and the lads always take the piss out of me but it keeps me motivated and fed, so when they go and get the muffin I eat my fruit. I always bring chopped fruit and yes I have to prepare it the night before but it is worth it. Also I tend to have some low fat choc in my bag too, its there in case of emergency so that I don't just run to the canteen and eat what ever!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xmas babe

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

Went slightly over my points yesterday but am hoping to make up for it today, I might do some extra exercise to work up the points. I was going great til the evening, then just had to have a couple of mini bars while watching The Apprentice! I know from before that I really have to leave myself some points for the evening time, and got around that by having a low/0 point soup for lunch each day. Am going to look up some nice recipes online now and put my son in the buggy and walk the half hour to the shopping centre, despite the crappy weather!

Good luck today everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

I used to post here all the time and havn't posted in a while since I set up my food diary!

Last week I had 1/2lb to lose and get my 50lb, put up 1.5lb and was truly devasted drove home in tears.

I worked so hard this week to turn it around, I had the perfect week and couldn't have done anymore and it all paid off!!

Lost 4lbs!!! So I am down 52lb now or 3st 10lb and got my 50lb certificate. I am so thrillled!!!

On the downside I spent over €400 treating myself for reaching this goal by buying myself a new ipod touch and clothes!!! OOpppss!! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭ohanloj3

Feeling really happy with myself today, joined ww just over a month ago and tried on a pair of jeans i bought the week before i joined and i can't wear them and for once its not cos they're too small, they're too SMALL!

Have been really good this week, exercising and staying within my points but jumped on the scales at home before my weigh in on thurs and I'm the same as i was last wi.do i have enough time in next 2days to get a weight loss??

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

WOW jwacqui really well done:D 52lbs you must feel amazing you sooo deserved all your treats after all your hard work:D enjoy them!!!

Well i was delighted at my WI this morning after putting up 1lb last week i dropped 3.5lbs this week AND got my second stone:D i had only wanted to get that by my hols but now im only 4lbs from goal now and am DETERMINED to get to that now by my hols! they are 4wks away from this friday so im hoping i can manage 1lb a week till then!!!

thehamo - usually they say you can expect to lose up to 7lbs in your first week but it does slow down after that and 1-2lbs a week is great going from then on. but it does depend on the person too like i lost 6.5lbs in my first week but a friend of mine lost 2lbs. so its ptobably best not to have a huge expectation in case its not as much as your expecting. look at it this way after your initial weigh day you will only ever be lighter;)

anyway best of luck to all this week;);)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I only lost 1.5 my first week :( And I was saving up to 4 points each day).
    I lost 2.5 in my second week so next WI is on thur.
    Fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

foodaholic I think you need to make the points system work for you. Some of my friends on ww do really well when they save a few points, others can go over (a friend of mine thinks she is doing great if she only went over by 3 or 4points and she will still lose weight).

But I find I need to eat close to my points every day to see a good result as I am sure most people do. So my advice would be to eat your points!! Never save more than 4 and if your on 16points the minimum you can have is 14 so only save a max of 2.

I agree with the above, if you save too many points you won't loose any weight, you need to eat a certain amount!! If i eat too little I wont loose any weight at all!!!

Eat your points and exercise if you want to eat more!!! Maybe save 1/2 max!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

thanks guys, I guess i was just trying to save points for a day if I fell of the wagon. So far so good I havent gone over my points at all

Argh, I was doing so well today, was happy out got grant from college, got a parking space in college and just having a good morning and feeling good weight wise!!!

Get to college and lecturer destroyed my project that I spent ages doing. I finally get to scouts and am starving, rush eat chicken, ryvita, and coleslaw, still hungry so have a packet of crisps and a sugary sweet necklace as we had a party at cubs. Had planned on getting work done at scout meeting then fire alarm goes off, still hungry as havnt eaten.

Dont get to eat tilll I get home when i eat all the above and 3 fistfuls of sugary peanuts / cashew nuts along with a flap jack!!!!

Plus no exercise!!!

ARGH ARGH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Never knew this thread existed. I'm so happy I found it. OH and myself joined WW 5 years ago in Dublin,excellent leader, cause we were getting married.We didnt split into men only etc we went to same class. Over all we lost 110lbs between us almost 50/50 split. our weight loss averge was 3lbs per week

Now 3 babies later both of us are packing a good few extra pounds( i ate for her) and we are sick of been fat. so started back last week counting etc going to the WI etc and first week results of 5lbs for her and 4lbs for me.

So here we go again, target weight loss for me is 7 stone and expect to do it in 7/8 months. when I set my mind to it im desperate and the internal competition is a nice driver, hopefully as part of my whole "thing" im going to run the dublin city marathon in 2010 as a target so setting myself a year target.

good luck to all who are doing it at mo and those who are constantly putting it off get in there to the meeting its actually a bit of craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭journey

Hi everyone,

I've had an absolute crappy week. After the disappointment of being up half a pound last week when I really thought I'd be down, I got into the "This is crap, it doesn't work, what's the point" frame of mind and ate crap this week. Didn't track. My only saving grace was that I was still running loads. Until I tore my stupid left quadricep muscle :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Went to the physio and exercise is on hold for now. I feel rubbish and like the world is conspiring against me to stop me losing weight (even though I know it's not the world, it's me, and as long as I really watch what I eat I can still lose weight, but my mindset is just in a really crap place at the moment).

Aaaagggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 legals81

Hi everyone,

Into my third week and 3lb down already. Finding it hard to keep motivated but i have to say reading how everyone is doing is spurring me on. It really helps to hear other people are experiencing the same challenges trying to work their eating plan around work/college.

I have my weigh in on Mondays and i find it encourages me to be good over the weekend, although it is hard when you have stuff planned over the weekend - nights out etc.

I remember when i was doing ww a few years ago they used to publish a magazine which was really good, been keeping an eye out for it in the newsagents but havnt come across it yet. Does anyone know if its still on the go?? Used to really enjoy it.

Hope everyone has a good week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 onehundred

Just heading down for the WI now, had a good week so hopefully everything will be ok...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭cherryred

Pembily wrote: »
    I agree with the above, if you save too many points you won't loose any weight, you need to eat a certain amount!! If i eat too little I wont loose any weight at all!!!

Eat your points and exercise if you want to eat more!!! Maybe save 1/2 max!!!

I thought you could save up to 4 points per day and eat min. of 14??

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

Hi guys. Whatver about saving points, it is really important to remember that what you do needs to be sustainable. I know everyone wants to loose the weight today!!!! But if you go at it too hard you will just fall off the wagon for weeks on end because your mind and body will tell you its just too hard. I have had brill weeks and rubbish weeks...many rubbish weeks... and the average is still about 1.5 lbs a week in the long term. So I vote for slow and steady, keeping well and not starving yourself. You have committed to something fantastic for your health, both mentally and physically. Congratulate yourself and nurture yourself through it. Please don't be too hard on yourselves. Take it in little steps. Good luck to all this week.

P.S. Let's see if I am as serene after WI tonight.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

plus 1 on the slow and steady miss piggy;)

ive been at it now for about 9 months and i have fallen off the wagon alot in that 9 months but ive finally come to realise that the slower i take it the better chance i have of making that change for good and also, and more importantly to me, keeping the weight off for good too:)

i finally got my 2nd stone yesterday and i am soooo happy in myself now knowing that i can do it! the last time i joined ww i lost about 1.5stone really quickly in about 2 months and obviously i put it all back on (and then some!!!). this time round though its been slow and steady all the way and i am more determined now to lose my final 4 lbs for goal and stay that way for good!!!

personally i dont bother saving any points (not intentionally any) unless there is something special coming up that i know i will need them for. i was always under the impression that you must eat at least 14points a day and you can only save max 4 points a day. so if you were on 16 points daily allowance then you would only be able to save 2 points as you must eat 14 points.

i also dont bother using any of my exercise points either i feel that exercise and healthy eating go hand in hand and if i was to use my pints to have a treat after i exercise it would kind of be defeating the purpose.

goo luck to all anyway this week :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27 onehundred

Down 5lbs this week, going really well, only need 1.5lbs for a 2 stone loss.
    Long way to go yet though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 xmas babe

Found this recipe on the WW site when i was looking for something nice for such a cold dark day like today, and thought i'd share it! Am going to make it for dessert tonight. PLUS if i walk the 15 mins to the shop to buy apples and 15 mins back, thats 2 extra points so it'll only cost me 3 points!! :D

Enjoy!

Apple Crumble with Custard

POINTS® Value: 5
    Servings: 4
    Preparation Time: 10 min
    Cooking Time: 30 min
    Level of Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients

700 g cooking apple(s), (Bramleys) peeled, cored and sliced
    2 tablespoon lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, (optional)
    2 tablespoon artificial sweetener, powdered
    100 g flour, plain
    20 g oats, rolled
    1 pinch salt
    50 g polyunsaturated margarine
    40 g light brown sugar, demerara
    1 small pot low-fat ready to serve custard, (200ml)

Instructions
    Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 5/190°C/fan oven 170°C.

Toss the apples with the lemon juice and cinnamon (if using). Put them into a 1 litre (1 ¾ pint) baking dish with 5 tbsp water. Bake for 10 minutes whilst preparing the topping.

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the rolled oats and salt. Rub in the margarine until the mixture looks like crumbs. Stir in the demerara sugar.

Remove the baking dish from the oven and stir the sweetener into the apples. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the surface.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Share the crumble between 4 bowls and serve each portion with hot custard.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 277 ✭✭misspiggy40

Really well done onehundred and itsallaboutme. How fab to be 2 stone down.;) I hope to be there in about three weeks. Munchies allowing!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭shellybelly08

Thanks so much for all the lovely advice and comments iv had a read of it all and it all makes perfect sense..

So i woke up yday and had a good day and today same...I went gym an am going later and tamo morning before college as im working fri and sat and wnt get a chance to go.. hopefully il do some skipping or something!:D

Im goin to keep this going right up until nxt thurs maybe (day b4 my 21st) so hopefully il have a loss i need to keep my focus up and keep going!!

Best of luck to every1 weighin in !! xx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

cherryred wrote: »
    I thought you could save up to 4 points per day and eat min. of 14??

to clarify as I was once lost on this too.

you can reduce you daily points by a max of 4 per day if you are saving for something at the weekend etc but you are not advised to gorge on your "saved 20 points"(ie 5 days x 4 points) as this is bad for your metabolisim. the recommended reuse max is 12 points. The best way to clock up extra points is excerise even a walk will do. For me and my current weight walking 2 miles twice a week is 2 pints at the weekend if I want to use the extra.

However if you are on 17 points, ie Gold level for a young active person, you cannot reduce by 4 because this will bring you to below 14 points which in this persons case is the minimum they should eat. Also if for the odd time perhaps your job or home committments prevent you from eating you should at least eat 14 points in the day however this is an once off its not good to do it too often your body wont take the stress.

The same can be said for the other end where regardless of your points calculations the max you should eat is 40 points even if the calculations say you have 42 for eg.

you are supposed to eat your daily points regardless of time of day or content of food etc.

Like already said take your time dont rush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 legals81

xmas babe wrote: »
    Found this recipe on the WW site when i was looking for something nice for such a cold dark day like today, and thought i'd share it! Am going to make it for dessert tonight. PLUS if i walk the 15 mins to the shop to buy apples and 15 mins back, thats 2 extra points so it'll only cost me 3 points!! :D

Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 tablespoon lemon juice
    100 g flour, plain
    20 g oats, rolled
    1 pinch salt

Instructions

Toss the apples with the lemon juice and cinnamon (if using). Put them into a 1 litre (1 ¾ pint) baking dish with 5 tbsp water. Bake for 10 minutes whilst preparing the topping.

Sift the flour into a mixing bowl and stir in the rolled oats and salt. Rub in the margarine until the mixture looks like crumbs. Stir in the demerara sugar.

Remove the baking dish from the oven and stir the sweetener into the apples. Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the surface.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until golden brown. Share the crumble between 4 bowls and serve each portion with hot custard.

xmas babe we must be on the same wave length i was just looking at that recipe this morning. Perfect for a cold and wet night. :)

When I started WW I was very good, not eating any crap, only eating my points and saving some too!! I lost 2stone in about 3 months. Then I had a bad week or something set me off and in 2months put back up 1.5 stone easily.

Then I went on No Count (would eat healthily anyway) and I lost 3 stone, and 3 years later its still off!! I never count exercise as points, its there as a back up if i go over!!!

Its all about slow and steady BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY THIS IS FOR LIFE!!!! That was the one thing I didn't get the first time - I thought - ok I will loose the weight and then I can eat all the chocolate I want!!! No I can only eat choc and crap as a treat and still need to exercise!!!!

Slow and steady and healthy... It is better to loose 1/2 lb this week and next, than down 1lb this week and up 1lb this week, better for motivation and for your own body!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭felinefeelins

xmas babe wrote: »

Enjoy!

Ingredients

2 tablespoon lemon juice
    100 g flour, plain
    20 g oats, rolled
    1 pinch salt

Instructions

thanks soooooooooooo much. Have apples left over from Jam making and was just about to make stewed apples n custard my way, artificial sweetner in apples n custard with a 4:1 serving of apples to custard:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement