Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pizza ovens

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

molly09 wrote: »
    I am just wondering has anyone ever tried one of these small kitchen ones that are available on Amazon like the https://www.amazon.co.uk/Giles-Posner-Stonebake-Pizza-Oven/dp/B0018812R8

If so are they worth it?

Only gets to about 200C. That's no where near hot enough for a pizza oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Only gets to about 200C. That's no where near hot enough for a pizza oven.

Jasus what temperature do you cook your pizzas at? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭curiousb

stevek93 wrote: »

I get my clay cob pizza oven up to about 400-450 centigrade to cook pizza! It cooks in about 90 seconds and is the best pizza I have ever had (imho!).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

stevek93 wrote: »
    I cook mine in a 250°C oven on a pizza stone I let get hot for 20 minutes.

OP is probably better off dropping money on a pizza stone or a pizza steel . Or getting one of those cute outdoor ones like the uuni (damn, I'd love the space / money)

Best way to simulate a pizza cooked at really high temperature is to 'fry' it!

1. Heat your frying pan on full heat for about 10 minutes until it is screaming hot.
    Don't put any oil on it, keep it dry.
    2. At the same time, put the grill on up full.
    3. after 10 minutes, put the pizza base on the frying pan and start adding the toppings.
    4. After a few minutes, the base will be well cooked.
    5. Pop the frying pan under the grill and again, in a few minutes, the toppings will have cooked.

Obviously make sure the handle of the frying pan in metal, not plastic!

Cooking this way does it at a much higher temperature than you will get in an oven. I have tried it and found it brilliant. Not as good as in the outdoor wood fired oven, but a close second.

I got this method from the book 'Pizza Pilgrims' by James and Thom Elliot.

This works especially well with home made bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP I researched this before and concluded that the best in counter top pizza ovens is the G3 Ferrari which is an Italian brand used by a lot of Italians. It gets up to 390 degrees C which is pretty stunning for a counter top device. They're about €100 on Amazon and get very good reviews. I've seen them on sale when on holidays in Italy last year for €80 and would have bought one only for the bulk getting it home.
    I'm planning on buying one when I move house later this year. If you do get one or something similar please post back a review

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferrari-G10006-Delizia-Pizza-Oven/dp/B002VA4CDI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51J5MOcmr-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VE6MS5T3Z7HMHGXWR6X

Also just to add I've read that to get great pizza the temperature is very important. Wood fired ovens run at about 600-700 degrees C, unless you spend a lot of money thats not achievable. However with counter top machines 400 degrees is achievable and you should get should get some pretty good results from that, at least a few notches up from using a conventional 250 deg oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭arian

You can buy the Ferrari G3 direct from Amazon Italy for €80. Not sure if you need Prime for free delivery.

Search for item B002VA4CDI on amazon.it (I'm not allowed to post links).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Anyone get one of those pizza ovens from Aldi? If so are they any use?

A friend of mine got one and says it works very well. Didn't get too hot the first time when he used charcoal, but he used wood the second time and got the temp. up to about 350C I think. It seems sturdy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

Best method I've found is pizza stone inside a gas barbecue. Turn all the burners up full whack. Preheat it for 10-15 mins. I do pizza like this all year round. Base will be crispy. Sometimes I turn down the middle burner directly underneath the stone if the base starts to burn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Muahahaha wrote: »
    OP I researched this before and concluded that the best in counter top pizza ovens is the G3 Ferrari which is an Italian brand used by a lot of Italians. It gets up to 390 degrees C which is pretty stunning for a counter top device. They're about €100 on Amazon and get very good reviews. I've seen them on sale when on holidays in Italy last year for €80 and would have bought one only for the bulk getting it home.
    I'm planning on buying one when I move house later this year. If you do get one or something similar please post back a review

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ferrari-G10006-Delizia-Pizza-Oven/dp/B002VA4CDI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_201_1?ie=UTF8&dpID=51J5MOcmr-L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1VE6MS5T3Z7HMHGXWR6X

Also just to add I've read that to get great pizza the temperature is very important. Wood fired ovens run at about 600-700 degrees C, unless you spend a lot of money thats not achievable. However with counter top machines 400 degrees is achievable and you should get should get some pretty good results from that, at least a few notches up from using a conventional 250 deg oven.

Sounds like just the ticket for us. Can't imagine enjoying the hassle of making my own bases though. Is there any Irish supermarkets or online stores selling premade dough bases/rolls you'd recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I purchased the G3 Ferrari (black model) last August from amazon.it and it's one of the best investments I've made. If you like a proper pizza you get at an Italian restaurant, it pays for itself after a short while.

This was one of my early attempts at making a pizza myself and it turned out great despite my inexperience.

q5cVaP5.jpg

I've tried 5-6 different flours since last August, but Caputo's 00 flour is by far the best I have tried. That is the flour used in Italy and any decent pizza place, but it can be hard to get in Ireland. There might be a place in Dublin but over here it was impossible to find. After buying a kilo online to try (and loving it) I bought a 25kg bag for €48 delivered. 25kg will make about 140 pizzas so it's not too bad. The normal flour you buy here isn't terrible or anything, but the 00 flour is far superior for making pizza in a machine like this. I used to pay €12.50 for a 12" pizza from an Italian restaurant here, but now I can make my own and the machine + flour has paid for itself already.

After letting the G3 heat on setting 2.5 for 8 mins, I put the pizza on and crank the heat setting up to 3. 4 minutes and it's done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Any idea what the largest size pizza you can do on these are?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Calibos wrote: »
    Sounds like just the ticket for us. Can't imagine enjoying the hassle of making my own bases though. Is there any Irish supermarkets or online stores selling premade dough bases/rolls you'd recommend?
    You can get pre-made ones in Lidl but, frankly, I wouldn't bother. Below is my go-to recipe for bread that I also use for pizza (it needs to be started the night before):
    3 cups flour
    1.5 cups hot water
    1 tsp yeast
    0.5 tsp salt
    Put all in bowl, mix, cover and put somewhere warm. Then leave it alone for 12-18 hours. When you're ready to cook turn it out onto a floured surface, divide up, and use the cooking method below.

My brother swears by Paul Hollywood's ciabatta dough recipe, but I don't have a mixer and kneading that by hand is a pain I don't need.
    curiousb wrote: »
    Best way to simulate a pizza cooked at really high temperature is to 'fry' it!

1. Heat your frying pan on full heat for about 10 minutes until it is screaming hot.
    Don't put any oil on it, keep it dry.
    2. At the same time, put the grill on up full.
    3. after 10 minutes, put the pizza base on the frying pan and start adding the toppings.
    4. After a few minutes, the base will be well cooked.
    5. Pop the frying pan under the grill and again, in a few minutes, the toppings will have cooked.

Obviously make sure the handle of the frying pan in metal, not plastic!

Cooking this way does it at a much higher temperature than you will get in an oven. I have tried it and found it brilliant. Not as good as in the outdoor wood fired oven, but a close second.

I got this method from the book 'Pizza Pilgrims' by James and Thom Elliot.

This works especially well with home made bases.

This is what I do and it's great but you have to be careful with the dough. If it's too thick it won't cook all the way through.

arian wrote: »
    You can buy the Ferrari G3 direct from Amazon Italy for €80. Not sure if you need Prime for free delivery.

Search for item B002VA4CDI on amazon.it (I'm not allowed to post links).

But now I can post links :)
    https://www.amazon.it/G3-Ferrari-Express-G10006-Fornetto/dp/B002VA4CDI/

E70 at the moment.

Whats the difference between that one & the one for €120?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

Thanks for the link :)

Does this one ship with a British standard or Italian standard plug do you know?

Thanks for the link :)

Does this one ship with a British standard or Italian standard plug do you know?

I think it comes with a continental two-pin job. Cut it off and fit a proper plug :)

Have one of these on the way due to arrive Friday. Anyone got a decent dough recipe that I can do today & let cold ferment until then? Want to have that bubbly blackened crust

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

OU812 wrote: »
    Have one of these on the way due to arrive Friday. Anyone got a decent dough recipe that I can do today & let cold ferment until then? Want to have that bubbly blackened crust

Here's Jamie's Oliver's recipe which works well with a cold ferment. I use the tipo/semolina combo

1 kg white bread flour or Tipo '00' flour , or 800g strong white bread flour or Tipo '00' flour, plus 200g finely ground semolina flour.
    1 teaspoon fine sea salt.
    2 x 7 g dried yeast sachets.
    1 tablespoon golden caster sugar.
    4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
    650ml lukewarm water

• Advertisement

Thanks Gloomtastic. Have you tried this? Seems like a lot of yeast.

I made a quick dough today that I found online.

500g Tipo 00
    2g sea salt
    1g yeast
    350g water

It's bulk fermenting right now, will go into the fridge tomorrow. I also made the same dough with ordinary flour as I'd no 00 & then got annoyed with myself for not getting the proper one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Thanks Gloomtastic. Have you tried this? Seems like a lot of yeast.

I made a quick dough today that I found online.

500g Tipo 00
    2g sea salt
    1g yeast
    350g water

It's bulk fermenting right now, will go into the fridge tomorrow. I also made the same dough with ordinary flour as I'd no 00 & then got annoyed with myself for not getting the proper one

Unless it's fresh, 1g of yeast is pretty minimal. Jamie's recipe is for twice the quantity of flour

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

maximum12 wrote: »
    Best method I've found is pizza stone inside a gas barbecue. Turn all the burners up full whack. Preheat it for 10-15 mins. I do pizza like this all year round. Base will be crispy. Sometimes I turn down the middle burner directly underneath the stone if the base starts to burn.
    I do this too all year round. Ramp the BBQ up to 350c with the pizza stone inside and the pizza is done in a couple of minutes.

Pizz oven arrived this morning. Had some dough made, although I wanted to keep it for 72 hours, the temptation was too great to try it out tonight.

A5NlpFa.jpg
    fFpZB7l.jpg
    meW5AU2.jpg

Baked for 5 minutes, very happy with spring & charring. This thing gets really hot. The dough I used was just plain all purpose flour & I'll be trying it on Saturday with my 00 Dough.

t6FW5YZ.jpg

The unit is a "Giles & Polsner" one which appears to be the same (Heats to 400? & is 1,200 Watts) as the Ferrari model under an "English" brand & costs just ?43 Delivered.

How long does it take to get to cooking temp?

vicwatson wrote: »
    How long does it take to get to cooking temp?

7 minutes. (10 the first time to burn off oils on the elements)

Will you post some pics of the pizzas you make with the OO flour? Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 ZaffizaKunt

The unit is a "Giles & Polsner" one which appears to be the same (Heats to 400? & is 1,200 Watts) as the Ferrari model under an "English" brand & costs just ?43 Delivered.

That's incredibly cheap, sounds like a great bargain if it works well. My pizza stone and paddle on their own cost that much!!

That's incredibly cheap, sounds like a great bargain if it works well. My pizza stone and paddle on their own cost that much!!

Based on last night's practise run, it's an absolute bargain. Was very happy with the result. Looking forward to to 00 dough as even the feel of the raw dough is a totally different experience.

• Advertisement

00 dough as requested (lunchtime pizzas)

GG5Mrm1.jpg
    pQNdYqn.jpg
    OufAHcb.jpg
    8J6OyaR.jpg

Taste was improved considerably. Charring happened faster. This pizza was on for 5 mins (timed), the others came off after 4.5 as the kids didn't like the "burnt bits". Spring was better than it looked in the image as there were great bubbles all over the crust, just not where I cut.

Funnily enough, the kids preferred the plain flour dough rather than the 00.

Advertisement