Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did your sickness subside?

• 13-06-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

8 weeks 4 days here and struggling

When in your pregnancy did your sickness start to lift? Any positive stories of it lifting before the second trimester? Please????!!!!!????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

I think I was 14 weeks before it stopped but returned in final trimester, I know it's awful I didn't know if I was hungry or sick but it will pass. The second trimester was fantastic I remember feeling so good during those three months.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Kantava

11w4d and expecting twins here. It has much improved in the last 4-5 days although I am a tiny bit queasy this morning.

Week 8 was the worst I think, I thought it would never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Between 12 - 13 weeks. I still get very mild waves, but nothing like it was. Hang in there doll, you are nearly there.

Also my GP told me morning sickness is good sign, means the hormones are strong and the baby is thriving x

Try eating little and often, don't let yourself get hungry, even if it means bringing crackers / snacks to bed. Try eating before you get out of bed (I used cream crackers). Also ginger nut biscuits really helped.

I also got sea sick bands, they really took the edge of...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

I didn't have any sickness but I was completely exhausted and that lasted right up to week 19 or so.

Apparently the earlier your symptoms start the longer they tend to go on.
    So if you started feeling nauseous in week 4, chances are you're in for it well into the 2nd trimester.
    If you started feeling nauseous at 6 weeks or so, then you can (hope!) expect it to start to clear up in week 10/11.

Certainly fitted for me. I first noticed my exhaustion 2 days before I got the faintest positive line on a pregnancy test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭xalot

First pregnancy it was gone by 9 weeks, only had mild nausea. This time around it was awful and lasted right up to 14 weeks. Just take it one day at a time, eat small and often and try to keep hydrated - I know it's horrible.

As an aside, both were boys so there was no truth in the 'sicker with girls' myth for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

First baby, sickness started around 8 weeks, terrible until about 14/15 weeks and subsided fully around 20 weeks.

Second baby, sickness started around 6 weeks and was gone by 12. Less actual getting sick too.

This time sickness started around 8 weeks and was fairly consistent until about 15 weeks but less throwing up than with no.1 and 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

9/10 weeks started to lift. I wasn't very sick though, just nauseous and tired

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

On my 1st @38 weeks when she was born. I was sick constantly though .
    On my 2nd @39 weeks when she was born . I was no where near as sick as I was with my 1st but permanently nauseous.
    On my 3rd - I was sock once in 42 weeks (my boy)
    On my 4th - It came and went for the whole 39 weeks.

The good news is that once you get to 13 weeks it should with any luck disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Moonbeam wrote: »
    On my 1st @38 weeks when she was born. I was sick constantly though .
    On my 2nd @39 weeks when she was born . I was no where near as sick as I was with my 1st but permanently nauseous.
    On my 3rd - I was sock once in 42 weeks (my boy)
    On my 4th - It came and went for the whole 39 weeks.

The good news is that once you get to 13 weeks it should with any luck disappear.

Your own story isn't filling me with confidence!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I had nausea for a few weeks, but only physically sick during the first week of the start of 8 weeks. I got sea bands for my wrists which helped and stopped me being sick. It was another few weeks before I stopped feeling sick. I'm 37 weeks this week and have been doing great since January I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

If you are vomiting a lot, you really need to watch out for dehydration especially in this weather! And if you can't keep water down you need to call your hospital and they'll advise. They can prescribe medication now if it's really bad.
    Only have negative stories here too like moon beam :)
    My first I couldn't keep any food or drink down until 4 in the afternoon. By 14 weeks I was down to vomiting once a day and feeling nauseous the rest. Lasted til about 18 weeks total I think.
    On my second now and constant vomiting day and night from 7 weeks. Was in hospital before xmas with it. I'm on meds for it still at 37 weeks. If I forget a tablet I'll be really nauseous all day and vomit usually in the afternoon.
    My sister was queasy all throughout her pregnancy but never got sick.

Some of us just get unlucky but mostly it clears up in or around 12 weeks.
    Try some ginger or vitamin b supplements if it's just nausea.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

20 weeks and still sick on and off but no where near as bad as I was in the first 10 weeks. Seabands really helped me with the constant motion sickness feeling. Fizzy drinks also helped (not ideal but I found it was better to have a glass of ginger ale or club lemon rather than spend hours in the bathroom)

As dori said, if you're vomiting frequently and not holding down fluids, you need to get it checked. There are prescription meds available. I thing vomiting more than 4 times a day several days in a row is classed as hyperemesis

Jesus some of ye have been through the ringer!! I haven't puked at all! Bit of nausea and dry retching for 3-4 weeks and then it lifted. Lots of feeling sorry for myself but I don't feel justified now!! I think I got away very lightly

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Very slight nausea between 8 and 11 weeks, never puked, all nausea and fatigue completely gone at 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I had really bad sickness from about 6 weeks onwards. At 13 weeks, I started to take medication which did help but caused constipation so I could only take sparingly. I vomited at least two or three times a day (even while on medication) until around 22 or 24 weeks. After that, I only threw up a few times a week but had absolutely no interest in food.

The positive part though is that it was completely worth it. My daughter is 8 months old now and I would not be without her, worth every second of it. I remember thinking during the pregnancy that it would never end and that there was NO WAY I would ever have a second baby but I would. I'd do it again. I sympathize because I know that it is miserable but it is temporary and hopefully yours will go by the second trimester. Sending wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cupcake queen

Does anyone know where the sea bands mentioned on this thread can be purchased?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,513 ✭✭✭✭Lucyfur

Any pharmacy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭stickybean

Got my in the local chemist. You can also get them online

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

Mine ended at 12 weeks, it was 11am on a Saturday in Starbucks in the Ilac Centre while shopping for a bridesmaid dress for my sisters wedding that I realised I didn't feel sick anymore!!!

Just out of curiosity, in Ireland what do they do with you if you're very sick? I know in USA they prescribe mediation, one appears very safe. Will they do that here if someone has hypermesis or do you just have to plod along or end up in hospital?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

If you have hyperemesis they will prescribe medication. They'll also admit for fluids regularly if needed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭Gatica

so lucky for those that sickness stops at first trimester. I'm 20 weeks and still going. It's eased off slightly but I still feel nausea all through the day almost every day. sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

i had it till 16 weeks first time around. Was confirming my second pregnancy with my gp the other day and she said the new recommendation is to actually give anti sickness medication she said loads of research has been done on it. She gave me a prescription for stemitil in case it hits me bad again this time. i had it from 6- 16 weeks last time and i felt rotten with it but luckily managed it ok myself . i dont think ill fill the prescription unless im really miserable. Im only 4 1/2 weeks at the moment and so far just feel yucky nothing i cant manage just yet.

Advertisement