Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi... what do you recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I think majority of Select range is good. I loved the previous specially select olive oil, this one is good too but a bit milder. I am not that mad about curry sauces, I much prefer Pataki's paste.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I know, I rarely order steaks when I am out in restaurants now as often they are not as good as these I cook at home. The fillets are good but they are 30% more expensive than the sirloin and not worth it, sirloin is the best tasting imo...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

^^ Deffo trying the sirloin next, so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Volvoair

chicken fillets:)
    angle grinder :eek:
    porridge:rolleyes:
    welder:P
    lettuce:D
    drill:eek:
    sirloin steak:)
    lump hammer:D
    yogurt:D
    chainsaw:confused:
    fruit cake:rolleyes:
    air compressor:confused:
    and so it continues......best shop ever:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Agree totally about the steaks... best I ever tasted, also I am a porridge addict and theirs is head and shoulders above every other brand I have tasted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Ace Attorney

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Agree totally about the steaks... best I ever tasted, also I am a porridge addict and theirs is head and shoulders above every other brand I have tasted!

Whats the name on the porridge, is the the harvest morn brand?

No its Kavanagh's, there is a regular brand and an Organic, both scrumptious!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I can tell you what I DON'T recommend - their fish fingers!

They've turned to absolute mush on me twice now - first time I oven baked them (as I always do) on a pizza mesh, so I thought maybe they might need the hot baking tray underneath them - but nope, I practically poured them off the baking tray this evening despite a nice hot oven.

Awful, awful, awful :mad:

(Supervalu own-brand ones are my winners at the moment)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Their very decent tea has been cut in price slightly - as opposed to nearly everything else creeping up slightly to fund the vouchergeddon. Makes the main brands look even more ridiculously overpriced now.

Thats a shame about the tea bags, I often looked at them but I love my tea and worried they won't be as nice as Barry's God. I am always happy to save money on stuff but MUST have a good cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thats a shame about the tea bags, I often looked at them but I love my tea and worried they won't be as nice as Barry's God. I am always happy to save money on stuff but MUST have a good cup of tea.

Shame? Why?

They're good and they've got even cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I can tell you what I DON'T recommend - their fish fingers!

They've turned to absolute mush on me twice now - first time I oven baked them (as I always do) on a pizza mesh, so I thought maybe they might need the hot baking tray underneath them - but nope, I practically poured them off the baking tray this evening despite a nice hot oven.

Awful, awful, awful :mad:

(Supervalu own-brand ones are my winners at the moment)

I have to agree with this. Of all the things I buy in Aldi, I would never buy the fish fingers again. They have the consistency of puree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I have heard this before, its so funny, a guy in our local pub sings it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

There's a Moser Roth with Sea Salt.

Amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

There's a Moser Roth with Sea Salt.

Amazing.

Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Had those Scrumch ice creams from Aldi; they're the knock offs of HB Brunch. One of the most vile cheap tasting things I had in ages. Used to Aldi products being generally more or less like their branded equivalents but these were like what were own brands in the 80s!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

ALDI ice burgers(?) are real nice. Like the hb iceberger but nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ameliams

Bought the paella pan and some paella rice a few weeks ago, have had several paellas since!

Going in later to do a full shop which I haven't done in weeks and I cannot wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've just noticed the thread title has been edited. To whichever mod did it:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I come from a family that takes tea very seriously (although we're Lyon's people) and the McGrath's Gold and Reserve Blends are both excellent.

All of Aldi's tea & coffee is by Robert Roberts.

I am not a fan of Lyons Tea, must admit my favourite of all tea is Yorkshire Gold but you can't get it in Southern Ireland, so for the moment I am enjoying Barry's Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I've just noticed the thread title has been edited. To whichever mod did it:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Their white and brown bloomer bread are gorgeous.

I tried both of the Aldi Malbec's and not keen on either the Argentinian one or the French, both very poor examples of a Malbec, the Argentinian one is the better of the two is has some flavour but the French one is very watery and completely lacking in any fruitiness.

If you are a Malbec fan you can't go wrong with M&S Vinalta... its more expensive but watch for special offers and in this instance you get what you pay for.

Their freemans bay NZ sauv Blanc at 8.79 is very nice

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭svei

Just saw that they have frozen herbs in Aldi - so handy to have frozen parsley, coriander, and basil in the freezer. Maybe I'm late to the party but I'd never noticed them before. I used the parsley tonight and apart from a bit of trouble shaking it out of the packet it was grand. Will never be as good as the fresh stuff of course, but will do if I'm too lazy to go to the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

svei wrote: »
    Just saw that they have frozen herbs in Aldi - so handy to have frozen parsley, coriander, and basil in the freezer. Maybe I'm late to the party but I'd never noticed them before.

No, I've only noticed them myself in the last few weeks, so I think they're a pretty new addition.

• Advertisement

Wafers for Ice Cream are good.

Advertisement