Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Maternity skinny jeans

• 21-12-2015 9:38pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Where would I find the best maternity skinny jeans? Is Topshop the best bet?

I live in Tralee, and I am disgusted at how bad both here and Killarney are for maternity clothes! Next have some, they aren't too bad. Debenhams have some, they are pretty awful. Mothercare are beyond woeful. New Look in Killarney have one rail with a few things, none of which were great. Dorothy Perkins in Killarney have discontinued maternity, just have them online.

Its unreal how bad it is for maternity wear, you'd swear not many women have babies! This is my first, so I am not sure what to even get! I'm only 3 months, and can still fit into my regular skinny jeans, mainly cos they have a bit of a stretch, thankfully! I think I'll have a couple of more weeks and then I will have to head off to Cork to find some stuff!

So I am thinking Topshop, but where else (in Cork) has decent maternity wear, without spending a fortune! And what basics should I get? especially for the first few months?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭PennyWren

Firstly, congratulations! Secondly, I have never been pregnant so this may not be very helpful but family and friends have all sworn by bump bands for with their jeans. A couple of them never bought any specific maternity jeans at all and I'm pretty sure they are fairly cheap so might be worth a go

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I bought red herring over bump skinny jeans in black in debenhams. While they're not the best they were the best of a bad lot that I found in Dublin. Next were awful, completely shapeless. Found nice under bump ones in new look and was delighted only the bloody things wouldn't stay up. I wore them twice and gave up cos I'd to keep pulling them up! The selection in Dublin is fairly brutal for maternity stuff in general.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I bought red herring over bump skinny jeans in black in debenhams. While they're not the best they were the best of a bad lot that I found in Dublin. Next were awful, completely shapeless. Found nice under bump ones in new look and was delighted only the bloody things wouldn't stay up. I wore them twice and gave up cos I'd to keep pulling them up! The selection in Dublin is fairly brutal for maternity stuff in general.

I was told those under the bump ones were annoying, so not to bother with them! I am surprised Dublin is so bad for maternity! Why are shops not making an effort!? Women get pregnant all the time!

What about leggings, are normal regular ones ok to wear and where are there good quality ones? I am not one to wear leggings, so not sure I really want to get any.
    I know ASOS do a good range of maternity, although they seem a bit pricey. I might have to just order a pair of jeans just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I got a 2 pack of maternity leggings from new look and I'm living in them. My bump popped out fairly quickly so I found anything normal that cut across the bump to be uncomfortable. Asos have an outlet / sale section that's quite good. Only thing is the maternity stuff in the Asos brand is huge so take that into account if ordering. I've gotten a few dresses / tunics from there. I find getting dresses online ok as the sizes or fits aren't as specific as something as jeans. I'm pretty much living in dresses with the new look leggings or the debenhams jeans and a plain black maternity skirt from debenhams that's great for work with large size tops from penny's and dunnes. There's a better selection online, even gap do maternity online, but there's a bit of guess work with sizes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Cakerbaker wrote: »
    I got a 2 pack of maternity leggings from new look and I'm living in them. My bump popped out fairly quickly so I found anything normal that cut across the bump to be uncomfortable. Asos have an outlet / sale section that's quite good. Only thing is the maternity stuff in the Asos brand is huge so take that into account if ordering. I've gotten a few dresses / tunics from there. I find getting dresses online ok as the sizes or fits aren't as specific as something as jeans. I'm pretty much living in dresses with the new look leggings or the debenhams jeans and a plain black maternity skirt from debenhams that's great for work with large size tops from penny's and dunnes. There's a better selection online, even gap do maternity online, but there's a bit of guess work with sizes.

I am lucky I'm still fitting into my normal jeans, not sure for how much longer though!! :)
    I remember Penney's did a maternity range last year, but have since discontinued it unfortunately!
    Thanks for the advice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

H & m

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭snoopy12

Hi, many congratulations!
    I ally disliked debenhams and top shop maternity jeans - I found that they got really baggy too quickly and I was pulling them up more often than not. One pair was over the bump and another pair wasn't. I got New Look trousers for work tho and they were great. I found New Look the best by far!

Edit to add that randomly there was a store in Bandon that had a good (for a regular Irish clothes shop) selection of maternity tops and I think trousers. Basics. If you are planning to travel that way let me know and I will find the name.

Also, I'm sure I saw some maternity clothes recently in penny's in Wilton. - I must look again next time I'm in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,032 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

When I was pregnant Gap had good skinny maternity jeans. They were stretchy but stayed tight and were over the bump which is a lot comfier in the later stages. Got a pair in new look too that were ok and some work trousers from there which were good.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭DB01

Try H&M. I got a great over the bump pair of skinny jeans there but it was a few years back. Between those and leggings with dresses, that's what I lived in. The jeans were great for the first few weeks after the birth too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Skinny jeans during pregnancy ???
    Are you serious ?

From what I can remember most of my female friends needed something more comfortable and slightly loose during pregnancy.
    Water retention alone can be a hindrance,each to their own and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

I got great under the bump skinny jeans in new look when I was pregnant. Didn't like the over the bump ones. Also keep an eye on the mamas and papas website. Got some stuff there in the sale too which was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

I find new look skinnies by far the best. I'm almost due with my second and still on a pair from there that I got on my first. I got some top shop ones but they never fit right, I think I bought them too early and bought up a size whereas u should just go for the size u would normally get. Tbh I find leggings the handiest of all. I'm at the stage now where I'm fit to burn them but they stretch with u!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭contrary_mary

Another vote for h&m - they have soft super-skinnies for €29.99 - I've a pair in black and a pair in dark indigo that have kept me going throughout this pregnancy (now 35 weeks) and despite being washed a couple of times a week they're in good condition. Pick up a few of their jersey tops while you're there and if you layer them with cardigans etc you'll be sorted for very cheap. You may need to size up on the jeans but that's the norm for h&m anyway even when you're not pregnant!

For workwear I got slim leg trousers in h&m too and they have seen me through along with a few dresses (picked up a couple in the next sale and a couple of cheap skater ones from New Look). For tights grab yourself a few pairs of maternity ones from m&s - don't be faffing around with bigger sizes you will just be uncomfortable. Ditto for leggings. Even before you have a bump you will start to find things uncomfortable around your waist.

I disagree with the previous poster about needing loose clothes - skinny jeans with a bit of stretch are comfortable and at least you feel a bit like your old self even when you're waddling around. I wore them into the hospital the day I gave birth to my last baby so they can certainly last you the whole way through!

Are you serious ?

From what I can remember most of my female friends needed something more comfortable and slightly loose during pregnancy.

Many people wear skinny jeans when pregnant. Each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Totally agree with wearing skinny jeans during pregnancy and for a few weeks after also!! Just buy everything in your normal size. I bought one over bump pair and hated them. I loved the new look under bump skinny jeans. They washed well and I lived in them. It amazes me that Pennys and Dunnes don't do basic pregnancy clothes even just six essential items.
    I lived in skinny jeans, maternity tops and various cardigans of my own.
    Best of luck with the pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I bought two pairs of maternity skinny jeans from asos and they were good and reasonably priced too. I much preferred wearing my regular jeans though and just leaving them open with a bump band over the top. Did that for my entire pregnancy and found it really comfy.

Congratulations by the way, enjoy your pregnancy!

Are you serious ?

I wore skinny jeans throughout my pregnancy, including the day I went into labour. I found them really comfortable. I think it's important to be able to maintain your own personal style while pregnant (if that matters to you). Putting on weight can make you feel down in yourself and it's nice to still wear things that you like and not feel like you have to wear huge, baggy clothes for months. Though it is totally fine to do that, if you want to of course!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm living in Gap full panel skinny jeans at the moment (almost 28 weeks). Love them. Under the bump jeans don't work for me at all because I'm carrying quite low.

I haven't found much in-store anywhere that I liked apart from a few tops in the large retail park branches of Mothercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Roxirose

H&m without a doubt. The softest most comfy jeans ever!

I'll have to take a trip to Dublin soon! ��

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Definitely h&m. Their maternity jeans are so confirm but look lovely on. I was actually a bit sad after both pregnancies when I had to stop wearing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ciarrai76 wrote: »
    I'll have to take a trip to Dublin soon! ��

If it is just to buy maternity clothes don't. You will be sick of whatever you buy at the end anyway. I like H&M and for me getting capsule wardrobe of mix and match pieces worked. No matter how good maternity clothes are they are made to last you the whole pregnancy so the fit won't be great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

I don't have kids myself, but my friend was pregnant earlier on this year and I went shopping with her. She bought two pairs of skinny jeans, one in New Look and one in H&M and she found they both fairly good, comfy, lasted well for her pregnancy. I think they were somewhere between €20-€30.
    I remember looking at clothes in Mothercare with her and they were all pretty expensive, but also very old fashioned. My friend bought one or two maternity tops, but she was pregnant during the summer so she just wore a lot of strappy/vest tops with a long cardi over them. She's just over 5 feet, so the tops were stretchy and long enough to still cover her bump.

Congrats on your pregnancy OP. Wishing you all the best :)

I don't have kids myself, but my friend was pregnant earlier on this year and I went shopping with her. She bought two pairs of skinny jeans, one in New Look and one in H&M and she found they both fairly good, comfy, lasted well for her pregnancy. I think they were somewhere between €20-€30.
    I remember looking at clothes in Mothercare with her and they were all pretty expensive, but also very old fashioned. My friend bought one or two maternity tops, but she was pregnant during the summer so she just wore a lot of strappy/vest tops with a long cardi over them. She's just over 5 feet, so the tops were stretchy and long enough to still cover her bump.

Congrats on your pregnancy OP. Wishing you all the best :)

thanks! Looks like I'll be pregnant for Winter, spring & some of the summer, so I need to invest wisely! haha!

As long as I've a few pairs of jeans to keep me going I'll be fine as I've loads of nice baggy/loose tops that I wear anyway. I know not to buy too much stuff while pregnant, but I don't want to get fed up with wearing the same things over & over either!

meeeeh wrote: »
    If it is just to buy maternity clothes don't. You will be sick of whatever you buy at the end anyway. I like H&M and for me getting capsule wardrobe of mix and match pieces worked. No matter how good maternity clothes are they are made to last you the whole pregnancy so the fit won't be great.

I'll have to go to Dublin or Cork regardless as there's no H&M or anything like that in Kerry! I need a trip to IKEA anyway and I love going to Dublin, so any excuse! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

I was told those under the bump ones were annoying, so not to bother with them!

I wouldn't rule out the under-bump ones. I got a Red Herring pair of skinny jeans in Debenhams that I practically lived in during the pregnancy, and they were great for the couple of weeks after the birth also. They were extremely comfortable. Just make sure to wear a long vest top underneath whatever else you're wearing, just in case!

My other main pair of jeans were black over-the-bump skinnies from H&M. Also very comfortable! The over-the-bump were probably comfier than the under-bump ones in later pregnancy alright.
    Are you serious ?

Why on earth would you not wear them during pregnancy? So long as they're well-fitting, no reason they can't be comfortable.

You do realise that they aren't "skinny" around the bump? And not everyone is affected by water retention.

Most maternity tops will obviously be quite loose/baggy, so it's nice to have fitted jeans or trousers so that you don't feel like a total blimp!

I wouldn't rule out the under-bump ones. I got a Red Herring pair of skinny jeans in Debenhams that I practically lived in during the pregnancy, and they were great for the couple of weeks after the birth also. They were extremely comfortable. Just make sure to wear a long vest top underneath whatever else you're wearing, just in case!

My other main pair of jeans were black over-the-bump skinnies from H&M. Also very comfortable! The over-the-bump were probably comfier than the under-bump ones in later pregnancy alright.

I haven't even tried on the under the bump ones yet so not going to rule them out yet. They seem a better option for the early days.

My husband very thoughtfully bought me some of those clips you can put on the buttons of my normal jeans so I can leave the button open, but still be secure! He's so sweet to have thought to get a pack for me :)
    I haven't put on weight yet, nor have I much of a bump, so for now I'm managing to keep wearing my normal jeans! Not sure for how much longer! I wore a dress yesterday for Christmas, and my tummy was quite noticeable...especially after dinner! lol :)

And what basics should I get? especially for the first few months?

Oh as for what else to wear! The majority of my "maternity clothes" were regular clothes, but in different styles and sizes than what I'd usually wear. I went to my work Christmas party at over 8 months pregnant in a regular wrap-around dress from Wallis, just one size up from what I'd usually wear, and it was perfect for my mum afterwards. Similarly my winter coat was from Next and just one size up but not a style I'd usually wear, again my mum was delighted to get it afterwards! It's worth going around your usual shops, but with a really open mind about what non-maternity stuff might work with the bump.

Jeans/trousers, I did find it necessary to get the maternity versions, however I never tried the bump bands that everyone raves about!

Non-maternity long loose vest tops from Penneys, with a cardi over, are great. Very cheap and will do you to the very end! The cardi will probably be fine in your usual size.

It's worth getting your bra refitted a couple of times throughout the pregnancy, and after the birth.

Dresses and skirts are difficult, it's hard to find them in a flattering fit. That was my experience anyways! Although maxi-dresses can work well in summer.

Maternity tights are soooo comfy, I think I got mine in Dunnes. I was in agony the days they were in the wash and I had to wear regular ones!

Invest in good, comfy shoes. But don't spend too much at the same time ... your shoe size might change! :eek:

I never got jeans in New Look, but found them good for maternity tops, especially on the sale rails!

Oh and if you're travelling to stock up anyways, and are anywhere near Heatons, it's a good place to find large baggy button-down nighties for the hospital. Something that I found difficult to find.

Another thing I actually found very difficult to find was cheap flip-flops, you'll need them for the hospital showers, in fairness though I was due in January, which is probably why they were so hard to find, I left it to last minute! I know you've a while left yet, but keep an eye out for them. :)

Oh as for what else to wear! The majority of my "maternity clothes" were regular clothes, but in different styles and sizes than what I'd usually wear. I went to my work Christmas party at over 8 months pregnant in a regular wrap-around dress from Wallis, just one size up from what I'd usually wear, and it was perfect for my mum afterwards. Similarly my winter coat was from Next and just one size up but not a style I'd usually wear, again my mum was delighted to get it afterwards! It's worth going around your usual shops, but with a really open mind about what non-maternity stuff might work with the bump.

Jeans/trousers, I did find it necessary to get the maternity versions, however I never tried the bump bands that everyone raves about!

Non-maternity long loose vest tops from Penneys, with a cardi over, are great. Very cheap and will do you to the very end! The cardi will probably be fine in your usual size.

It's worth getting your bra refitted a couple of times throughout the pregnancy, and after the birth.

Dresses and skirts are difficult, it's hard to find them in a flattering fit. That was my experience anyways! Although maxi-dresses can work well in summer.

Maternity tights are soooo comfy, I think I got mine in Dunnes. I was in agony the days they were in the wash and I had to wear regular ones!

Invest in good, comfy shoes. But don't spend too much at the same time ... your shoe size might change! :eek:

I never got jeans in New Look, but found them good for maternity tops, especially on the sale rails!

Oh and if you're travelling to stock up anyways, and are anywhere near Heatons, it's a good place to find large baggy button-down nighties for the hospital. Something that I found difficult to find.

Another thing I actually found very difficult to find was cheap flip-flops, you'll need them for the hospital showers, in fairness though I was due in January, which is probably why they were so hard to find, I left it to last minute! I know you've a while left yet, but keep an eye out for them. :)

thanks for the advice! I am already keeping an eye out for things I might wear. I am very fussy with clothes, so need to get an idea of what's out there (which isn't much in Kerry!). I have been thrawling through ASOS, but hard to know unless you try them on. I wear my tops quite loose anyway as I don't like fitted tops, so I've plenty to keep me going for now. I am wearing most of my regular clothes still, as I'm only 12 weeks and barely showing. Penney's is great for the loose tops & basics.

As for bras, I had actually shrunk in the boob department, I was actually going to get refitted before I got pregnant, as I was sure I needed a cup down, but now I'm fitting into my bras again! I don't know if I'll get much bigger as I'm only a 34B, unless I start spilling out of them I will just wear what I have for now, but obviously I'll need to get nursing bras eventually.

As for bras, I had actually shrunk in the boob department, I was actually going to get refitted before I got pregnant, as I was sure I needed a cup down, but now I'm fitting into my bras again! I don't know if I'll get much bigger as I'm only a 34B, unless I start spilling out of them I will just wear what I have for now, but obviously I'll need to get nursing bras eventually.

Actually most breastfeeding mothers I know didn't use nursing bras, found them more of a hindrance than anything! I spent a fortune on two of them in M&S, never used them. But I did give up on breastfeeding a couple of weeks in!

There's a breastfeeding thread in either the Parenting forum or the Newborn & Toddlers forum, ask there for advice! I think most mums go for layered tops, so that they can pull one up and the other down, rather than messing around with nursing bras.

I'd a great top from Debenhams, a Red Herring one, that was perfect for both pregnancy and breastfeeding. Very good quality, it washed perfectly all the way through. I'd be more inclined to invest in tops designed for both pregnancy and breastfeeding, rather than nursing bras.

• Advertisement

Actually most breastfeeding mothers I know didn't use nursing bras, found them more of a hindrance than anything! I spent a fortune on two of them in M&S, never used them. But I did give up on breastfeeding a couple of weeks in!

There's a breastfeeding thread in either the Parenting forum or the Newborn & Toddlers forum, ask there for advice! I think most mums go for layered tops, so that they can pull one up and the other down, rather than messing around with nursing bras.

I'd a great top from Debenhams, a Red Herring one, that was perfect for both pregnancy and breastfeeding. Very good quality, it washed perfectly all the way through. I'd be more inclined to invest in tops designed for both pregnancy and breastfeeding, rather than nursing bras.

good to know, thanks! I wasn't sure if I should be buying specific bras for maternity! I might be lucky and get away with my normal bras for now. I can get measured at another stage and see if I need to go up a cup. I don't want to be spending money unnecessarily!

Advertisement