Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Teacher Pension Calculator

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Newer entrants at primary level may well end up paying more into their pension than they ever get back. I have been paying a mandatory large pension contribution since I was 20 years of age. If people in the private sector did the same ,they'd soon see that our "Rolls Royce" costs us a fortune... The recent pension levy is NOT going to our own pensions, so we are effectively paying other people's pensions, many of whom make no attempt at pension provision until they turn 40, if at all.

*Waits for the usual crew to turn up saying how THEY pay a fortune for OUR pensions (and ignore the facts above.)*

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭torregolf

I am pre 1994 but I will get it difficult to get max pension due to EPT and PT status for years when pwt jobs were unavailable. I am 53.

My question is can I get the old age contributory pension (at 66) in addition to my teachers pension. I have an opportunity to take a job that will allow me pay reckonable contributions towards the COAP. And with a bit of luck I can get enough contributions in before aged 66.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭solerina

torregolf wrote: »
    I am pre 1994 but I will get it difficult to get max pension due to EPT and PT status for years when pwt jobs were unavailable. I am 53.

My question is can I get the old age contributory pension (at 66) in addition to my teachers pension. I have an opportunity to take a job that will allow me pay reckonable contributions towards the COAP. And with a bit of luck I can get enough contributions in before aged 66.
    I could be wrong but I thought the difference between pre 1995 and post 1995 was the old age pension is part of the pension for post 1995 and isn't for those pre 1995. I think you are not entitled to the state pension and will have to survive on your teaching pension, that's why people often buy back years or pay AVCs. However maybe doing a diff job to teaching could entitle you to the state OAP...I don't know.
    Rainbowtrout used to post on here a lot and she always knew exactly what the story with pensions was but unfortunately she seems to have gotten fed up with this forum recently !!

Advertisement