Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona virus and social protection

• 07-03-2020 1:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭

If things get worse, what are our entitlements?

I'm not long in a new job, company expecting a downturn, so I might not have a job in a few weeks if things get worse.

Or what about self-isolating and picking up the virus. You could be out of work for a month.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

If things get worse, what are our entitlements?

I'm not long in a new job, company expecting a downturn, so I might not have a job in a few weeks if things get worse.

Or what about self-isolating and picking up the virus. You could be out of work for a month.

If you’re given a temporary lay off then subject to your PRSI record you might get JSB max payment €203 for a single person. Dependents are means tested.
    Not enough PRSI? JSA which is means tested.
    If you get sick then it will be illness benefit also PRSI based and €203 and dependents means tested.
    Sick and not enough PRSI? SWA from the CWO which is means tested.
    If you decide yourself that you are not going to work because you’re afraid that you’re at risk then you will have to talk to SW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

splinter65 wrote: »
    If you’re given a temporary lay off then subject to your PRSI record you might get JSB max payment €203 for a single person. Dependents are means tested.
    If you get sick then it will be illness benefit also PRSI based and €203 and dependents means tested.
    If you decide yourself that you are not going to work because you’re afraid that you’re at risk then you will have to talk to SW.

If someone was to get sick, how are they to take themselves down to the social welfare office spreading the virus more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

If someone was to get sick, how are they to take themselves down to the social welfare office spreading the virus more.

They would be isolated so no visit to any welfare office

They get the illness benefit forms in the GP office and send them in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Curlysue76

Just been temporarily laid off today until 29th March at least. Will not be getting anything from employer, I’m in receipt of WFP, will I lose this and have to start a new claim when I return to work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

So to confirm, we would need to visit GP, get disgnosed and then post forms for emergency social welfare?

I thought you just self isolate and are entitled to socail welfare payment?

I am more concerned will they freeze Bill's and mortgages, not the bank way of coming in and pleading your case, but a government intervention to freeze all mortgage payments. That is my biggest concern, I can survive on 200 a week with no bills

sticker wrote: »
    So to confirm, we would need to visit GP, get disgnosed and then post forms for emergency social welfare?

I thought you just self isolate and are entitled to socail welfare payment?

You can’t have anything confirmed here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Anyone know what forms we have to fill if we have to self isolate for covid and what the procedure is to do it?

I've never been sick long enough from work to know what to do.
    I'm half thinking I should have the forms filled in and ready to go, if I'm unlucky enough to catch it. :)

Kenjataimu wrote: »
    Anyone know what forms we have to fill if we have to self isolate for covid and what the procedure is to do it?

I've never been sick long enough from work to know what to do.
    I'm half thinking I should have the forms filled in and ready to go, if I'm unlucky enough to catch it. :)

Illness benefit forms are only available at your GPs office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

Anyone have any advice,

I currently work as a contractor in the courts, but an email last night says courts are going into vacation sittings only, which means... I'm out of the job from Monday.

What do I do? From reading online I can't understand what to do, I'm not sure I qualify for anything, will be getting in touch with welfare office on Monday to seek advice ... I haven't been told to self isolate, my boss hasn't even contacted me with regards the email indicating the courts will be on vacation mode , I got the email from a co-worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    Just been temporarily laid off today until 29th March at least. Will not be getting anything from employer, I’m in receipt of WFP, will I lose this and have to start a new claim when I return to work.

Did you get anymore information on this??

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Did you get anymore information on this??

Hi, yeah went into dole office yesterday, going on jsa and they’ll suspend WFP until I can go back to work. Will be on less than half my normal income compared to wages and WFP so hopefully this won’t go on too long,

As long as everyone stays safe that’s the main thing,

Thanks I was thinking this would be the case. I'm hoping the government won't close shops,but if they do I am going to be so stuck for money WFP is more than my wages and I'll have neither.

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Thanks I was thinking this would be the case. I'm hoping the government won't close shops,but if they do I am going to be so stuck for money WFP is more than my wages and I'll have neither.

I work in a cafe at a museum so we shut on Thursday after announcement was made. The people in dole office were very nice, was a good few people in there on Friday, I doubt there’ll be a lot more next week.

It’s a big drop in income, so suddenly. My week starts on a Wednesday as well so only had 2 days work this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

What Happens with the self employed? Are we protected?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eildar

Agreed - Im self employed also. Do I need to physcailly visit the dole centre?

sticker wrote: »
    Agreed - Im self employed also. Do I need to physcailly visit the dole centre?

If you have symptoms of the corona virus then do not go to your local INTREO Centre, ring your GP instead.
    If you don’t have symptoms then yes, you have to go to your local INTREO Centre. Bring photo ID proof of address and 6 months of bank statements.

If you have symptoms of the corona virus then do not go to your local INTREO Centre, ring your GP instead.
    If you don’t have symptoms then yes, you have to go to your local INTREO Centre. Bring photo ID proof of address and 6 months of bank statements.

Thanks

• Advertisement

Anyone have any advice,

I currently work as a contractor in the courts, but an email last night says courts are going into vacation sittings only, which means... I'm out of the job from Monday.

What do I do? From reading online I can't understand what to do, I'm not sure I qualify for anything, will be getting in touch with welfare office on Monday to seek advice ... I haven't been told to self isolate, my boss hasn't even contacted me with regards the email indicating the courts will be on vacation mode , I got the email from a co-worker.

The ccj is sitting as normal. Can't speak for the rest.

If you haven't recieved anything officially then continue as is. Random mails, WhatsApp messages, etc are just gossip and scaremongering most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭eildar

My other half was talking to a taxi driver yesterday who went into his social welfare office on Friday. He was told all self employed people will be able to apply online from Monday. Not sure which benefit they apply for though.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I feel anxious about going to the post office and handling cash, would they be paying into bank accounts instead to avoid public gatherings in post offices instead.

I feel anxious about going to the post office and handling cash, would they be paying into bank accounts instead to avoid public gatherings in post offices instead.

I asked this when I had to go in on Friday. I have asthma and said I wasn’t comfortable going into PO. Lady said it should be ok to get it into bank account and to fill out bank details on the form. I have to go in tomorrow morning with filled out form and bank statements, I’ll ask again to be certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Curlysue76 wrote: »
    I asked this when I had to go in on Friday. I have asthma and said I wasn’t comfortable going into PO. Lady said it should be ok to get it into bank account and to fill out bank details on the form. I have to go in tomorrow morning with filled out form and bank statements, I’ll ask again to be certain.
    That's good, I'm glad for you, this is not good though they should be more organised then this, I'm 43 and I heard cases of people in their 30s and 40s dying from this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sheepsh4gger

Yeah amazing. My paranoid boss just laid off the whole company until further notice.

So I went to the new welfare website and tried to apply but they say 'you need to visit a local Intreo center to verify your phone number'.

Amazing, so now I have to join a line of people to apply which defeats the point of social distancing.

Or are these Intreo centers now closed?

Yeah amazing. My paranoid boss just laid off the whole company until further notice.

So I went to the new welfare website and tried to apply but they say 'you need to visit a local Intreo center to verify your phone number'.

Amazing, so now I have to join a line of people to apply which defeats the point of social distancing.

I can't even get on to the website

If you want to apply for Jobseekers then you have to present yourself at the Intreo Centre.
    Please remember that the staff in the Centres are not to blame for you being laid off, and that they don’t make the rules.
    No, they’re not closed.
    It’s amazing.

• Advertisement

If you want to apply for Jobseekers then you have to present yourself at the Intreo Centre.
    Please remember that the staff in the Centres are not to blame for you being laid off, and that they don’t make the rules.
    No, they’re not closed.
    It’s amazing.

Can you not apply online. I'm trying to sort it out for my dad.

Advertisement