Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tuesday - Friday windstorms & snow - REPORTS AND CHAT THREAD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it's been fairly windy here in cork all day today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭jprboy

Some hairy weather moving through the centre of the country, squally showery clusters.

Yes, indeed. Encountered a lot of that driving through North Tipp between 18.00 and 19.00.

Very obvious from radar too. Don't have time to post up screen grab for posterity what with kids bedtime and all that.

Anyone care to oblige? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭megatron989

Big breeze here in dalkey a few minutes ago, sent my bins flying all over the place! Calm till now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Ok MT just wrote this on the other thread. Being right on donegal bay it got me tinglIng !!! :):) yeahhhhh.

I know the folks in the northwest are battle-hardened but this one could be a touch more than expected from what I'm reading on here anyway, so would say be prepared for more than just a normal windy day. All I can say at this point, but a 945 mb low dropping down towards Donegal Bay is about as intense a storm as we see outside of the once-a-century type. And when you factor in how cold the circulation is ... well, it's that sting in the tail business that I mentioned last week.

Have to admit a tinge of trepidation as well.

Big breeze here in dalkey a few minutes ago, sent my bins flying all over the place! Calm till now.

Loooove Dalkey ! Spent many happy years working there. Loved he easterlies !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Not a puff in Athlone yet:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

noah45 wrote: »
    Not a puff in Athlone yet:(

Quit posting and finish the Ark ! U may need it :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭Vain

irish1967 wrote: »
    Ok MT just wrote this on the other thread. Being right on donegal bay it got me tinglIng !!! :):) yeahhhhh.

I know the folks in the northwest are battle-hardened but this one could be a touch more than expected from what I'm reading on here anyway, so would say be prepared for more than just a normal windy day. All I can say at this point, but a 945 mb low dropping down towards Donegal Bay is about as intense a storm as we see outside of the once-a-century type. And when you factor in how cold the circulation is ... well, it's that sting in the tail business that I mentioned last week.

Have to admit a tinge of trepidation as well.

Any idea what day his reffering to?

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

lol ok will do:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

jprboy wrote: »
    Yes, indeed. Encountered a lot of that driving through North Tipp between 18.00 and 19.00.

Very obvious from radar too. Don't have time to post up screen grab for posterity what with kids bedtime and all that.

Anyone care to oblige? :)

Met Eireann radar animation for 1715 to 2015 today:

An12dec.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭pauldry

see met eireann has 7 to 11c at present except knock.

its only 4.7c in sligo after being 6.6 and hour ago

top gust so far this week 50knots belmullet just there

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

I'm lost amid the haze of charts.
    Can anyone summarize the latest ones for me . Real simple like 

Vain wrote: »
    Any idea what day his reffering to?

Tomorrow !!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Starting to get a bit nervous about this one, we are used to storms up here but a big one won't be nice as its very exposed . Am gratefull to all ye folks in the know for the updates keep it up. (goes googleing plans for a storm shelter/bunker :eek:)

t|nt|n wrote: »
    Quit posting and finish the Ark ! U may need it :eek::pac:

Don't forget the Linx ;)

Starting to get a bit nervous about this one, we are used to storms up here but a big one won't be nice as its very exposed . Am gratefull to all ye folks in the know for the updates keep it up. (goes googleing plans for a storm shelter/bunker :eek:)

Yeah don't know what it is about this one but it has me edgy too. If I was just watching rte weather I would be thinking it was gonna be an anticlimax like last week. It's being reported in exactly the same way. I think a lot of people are gonna get caught by that.
    I'm not one for gut feelings etc but for some unknown reason this one worries me. Maybe it's the unpredictability of these systems over the last few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭hellboy99

Wind is starting to pick up here this last hour.

mean 30km/h
    highest gust 42km/h
    978.1hPa

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

irish1967 wrote: »
    Yeah don't know what it is about this one but it has me edgy too. If I was just watching rte weather I would be thinking it was gonna be an anticlimax like last week. It's being reported in exactly the same way. I think a lot of people are gonna get caught by that.
    I'm not one for gut feelings etc but for some unknown reason this one worries me. Maybe it's the unpredictability of these systems over the last few days.

yes last week was nothing out of the ordinary, I like an anticlimax ! just hope the power doesn't go out so I can keep up to date on here, I dont even watch rte weather any more. The possibility of blizzards is interesting tho, still have a few patches of snow on the ground from last week. I have enough fuel indoors for a few days so will only have to go out to feed the hens who I will leave locked in or else they would end up in leitrim :pac: . stay safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Wind picking up here in celbridge, kildare. Has a tendency to blow in the vent beside th bed so always know when it increases

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Becoming quite squally here, gusting to around 50km/hr and the rain is lashing the windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Still not a sausage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Conrach

Wind starting to pick up here. Can be heard in the chimney.

UTV forecast at 6.30pm said "Disruption from wind and snow tomorrow." The rest of the forecast was the usual vagueness.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

9˚c in Ashford at the moment, wind only about 8km/hr with gusts of only 12 to 20km/hr at the moment, 19mm of rain so far today, pressure still dropping - though more slowly 976hPa now

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

still not a breath of wind here, but lashing rain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Very stormy here with a heavy sleet shower, really came out of nowhere as its been quite calm all evening

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

trogdor wrote: »
    Becoming quite squally here, gusting to around 50km/hr and the rain is lashing the windows.

Up exposed on Windgates hill in greystones & it's eerily calm & quiet. Been waiting for this since the threads started, must be coming our way.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

It seems to be waiting out there.
    What is it waiting for?
    It also looks like 3 lows each winding up behind each other
    http://www.yr.no/satellitt/europa_animasjon.html

184986.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

cotton wrote: »
    Up exposed on Windgates hill in greystones & it's eerily calm & quiet. Been waiting for this since the threads started, must be coming our way.:D

Seems to have calmed a bit here now, rain is lighter and only gusting to 40km/hr, cold front must have passed through because the temperature is plummeting, down more than 3C in the last hour from 10.4C to 7.3C and is still dropping fast. The real action hasn't really got going yet though (not that the worst of it will be on this coast).

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Seeing as the second Thursday storm looks to be heading south, I reckon we need a bit of North/South competition. See who will get the strongest storm, I reckon we will shade it down in the south on Thursday/Friday :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Harps wrote: »
    Very stormy here with a heavy sleet shower, really came out of nowhere as its been quite calm all evening

The outer bands are coming ashore in the west about now.

Gonna be a rough day tomorrow.

Advertisement