Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

dont forget about the / Blues

Options
  • 23-11-2003 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Recently got my hands on a copy of Talkin Timbuktu by Ali Farka Toure with Ry Cooder,
    I like the muddy wathers/john lee hooker bluesy style, and would definitely recommend this album, classy stuff, nice blues guitar, with african precussion and lyrics, damned if i know what he's saying but you can tell the man's got the blues.

Anyone got any recommendations for good albums to look for, post them here, i'm always looking for new stuff to play at the customers here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Blues at sunrise, - SRV. Excellent.

Yeah Ry Cooder, excellent. African percussion, dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Great to hear there are some SRV fans out there!

Check out "In Session" - SRV and Albert King. That's an encyclopedia of blues licks!

(but make sure you lock away your guitar and hide the key...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Accoring to the chaps on the Fender forum, SRV used to use 18's at one point (ie the high E sting was 18)!!!

Must've had steel fingers. :D

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by Giblet
    Blues at sunrise, - SRV. Excellent.
    Don't forget Texas Floods! Goes down as one of my all time favourite albums!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

You should check out the Live At The Montreaux Festival double CD.

First CD, 1982, full of booing, SRV plays a blinder.

Second CD, 1985, crowd go nuts (in a nice way this time), SRV plays a blinder again.

Conversely, I'd strogly recommend an album by a band called Masters Of Reality called Sunrise On The Sufferbus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

listen to Skip James

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Taj Mahal - this dude is still kickin ass

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jam

Check out Robert Johnson and Son House for some good ol' Missisippi slide blues. Good stuff.

Advertisement