Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Point of Clarification....

• 20-10-2001 3:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Will this be a college work board as in....
    College course work, exams grinds, maoning about lecturers and depts etc.

or a.....

Employment board w/ updates on part-time work etc.

The former I hope but the later has its place too!

Comments

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The former.

This board is for Course work, lecture notes, asking advice on courses, college rules and workings, and generally anything that isnt partying or getting sorted for spliffs :)

Anyone else got a view on what this board cover?

DeVore.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah stuff that's specific eg programming Q's, should be left at their respective boards, as always, and use this board for Q's such as 'How many points for.......', or 'What happens if I fail maths in 1st year', or 'Why are Student's union committees such pratts?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Yeh the coursework aspect is important but the part-time work for college students is also a good idea that could go in a variety of place in the fullness of time- possibly a sub section of the classifieds- as college work is very distinct in itself because its almost always part-time and odd hours etc.
    Worth Pondering!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Which one will we use for people who aren't actually at college to ask questions about it/a specific one? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

YIH, anything on this board inlcudes college work (I don't know about advertising grinds etc., DeVore, you seem to have a policy on that), student politics, grand issues - anything that pertains to the more non-social side of College life.

The other one will be for more UCD/TCD and NUI/RTC bashing! Well, let's hope not!

If you ask me, whatever rules are devised, it's going to be a helluva lot better than flunk.net - that was utter pants.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

Originally posted by DadaKopf
    If you ask me, whatever rules are devised, it's going to be a helluva lot better than flunk.net - that was utter pants.
    Flunk was great.

At one point, when the muppetry came too much to bear, I began posting random snippets of WW2 historical information instead of bothering to word up a reply.

I am a genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

How about comparing of subjects in diffirent colleges? It could get nasty, in my own field, physics in UCC is very different to physics in Maynooth. i.e. BSc vs BA. quantum mechanics in 1st year rather than 3/4 year etc.

Or the whole Art's students vs the world "debates" could spring up....

This could be a very very interesting board!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 crazylegs

oh come on now nesf, Arts students have avery hard time!
    what with having to do a whole 14 hours a week and trying to balance a job in Mcdonalds at the same time!
    however at the same time i dont think i could stand more than 2 or 3 lectures of Arts during the Renaissance or the conflict between impressionism and other forms of art!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting seriously miffed at all these 'sarcastic' comments about Arts students. I mean I don't know what you understand by an Arts faculty but the discussion of Impressionism is only limited, really, to the History of Art department in UCD and I suspect what you really mean is a degree in ART. The reality of the situation is that 90% those people who leave Arts with a 2.1 or higher end up in high-paying jobs within a year leaving. The benefits of an arts drgree is increasingly becoming obvious with more and more people merely having very limited skills under more technical educations. Arts students can always be trained later but at least most of them have highly adaptable minds and well-honed analytical skills. I mean, it's more likely that you can train an arts student and THEN train him in another, technical field, but it gets harder for the opposite scenario to happen. Arts students are better off in the long run, believe me. And how many times have you ever heard your parents or older relations say, "oh, I wish I did [enter Arts subject here] when I had the chance". I'll take a joke as well as anyone else but sometimes the constant harassment of Arts students annoys me to the point of VIOLANT_RAGE. I mean, when you consider a week's pay in McDonald's compared to a week's wage working as a lowly office clerk in a law firm (after your degree and passing the bar), McDonald's pays more but I don't see the latter as being a point of derision even when they are a bunch of filthy bloodsuckers. I'm extremely proud to be an Arts student, I KNOW I'm enjoying my subjects more than I've enjoyed anything in my life and I know that an Arts degree has so many great benefits - shut up and let's talk about something constructive, this whole thing is making me sick.

I mean, when you consider a week's pay in McDonald's compared to a week's wage working as a lowly office clerk in a law firm (after your degree and passing the bar), McDonald's pays more but I don't see the latter as being a point of derision even when they are a bunch of filthy bloodsuckers.

Heh Dont bring Law Students into this "Lets slag off Arts" argument:p

I might just get a little peaved:)

• Advertisement

Now you know how we feel, Law Boy.

Now you know how we feel, Law Boy.

Well no not really. I most definitley dont think we rival arts students in that regard.

Ah no its all just a little fun. I still still give my sis a hard time and she finished arts in ucd 10 years ago:)

What do you think about the poor ppl in the GSB in Blackrock. Maybe the MBA will become the laughing stock of college courses!?

Like I said, I can take a joke, but sometimes the joke grates so much it just becomes too much. All I think is: "oh no, more of this crap" - my sides never stop splitting.

It's just boring and completely untrue - it pi$$es me off something rotten at this stage. Arts students work their a$$es off to get a good degree, as hard as anyone else - the only difference is that the system is a little more casual than most technical courses, including boring stuff like law.

Things will change here of course, just like they're realising in Britain and they've known on the Continent for years.

Ahh fair enough!
    No more arts jokes from any of ye, de ye hear!

But BTW, Law is anything but boring. Anyone who is studying it will tell you that. There are a few very highly (prolly overly) technical areas, but by in Large its a problem solving discipline dealing w/ disputes between real people, so you can imagine the all-sorts that go on:)

Like today I had a double revenue law, and was learning about loads of little tax scams to get around the taxman. Stuff like if you pay rent to your parents you can claim it back on income tax up to £6000 per year. (Maybe I'll start giving a few schillings to the ould pair:)!!) Lodas of other stuff like split work contracts, which effectively allow loads of ppl in Ireland to pay income tax on only half their earnings. But by far, Criminal Law is the best. Loads of gorey stuff and other funny encounters of all varities.

Prolly best not to judge the "law book" by its cover:)
    If you explore it, I think anyone would enjoy it:)

Ah yeah, I was only being 'sarcastic' - see, law's interesting but I wouldn't ENJOY it. Everyone should do subjects they enjoy, not think about what kind of job they'll get. If you enjoy it, cool, but people shouldn't just assume other people are wasters - especially arts students. I mean, it's always NUI Arts that gets this reputation, not Trinity because of the points and the 'preciousness' of their students. So, yeah, sure, there are low-achievers in Arts but it's a good bloody education and is a very important base for anyone I believe. Low, in fact, is often a logical extension of either certain humanities subjects or the analytical skills many of those subjects teach. Life always moves from the general to the particular and arts is really a great place to start for anyone to keep options open. I mean, who wants to be stuck in some computer firm just because the industry was supposed to offer financial security but they really don't enjoy their work at all. Take me, I'm a philosophy student and then you look at law, save the existing legal structures, it's largely a philosophical profession but most lawyers haven't this kind of background really - same goes for medicine. The emphasis is that people really should only do subjects because they enjoy them and arts is the most constructive place to start, in my opinion.

Advertisement