Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is this wheel repairable?

Options
  • 03-07-2020 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Is this wheel repairable or will I need a new wheel on a Hyundai i30

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Whether it is or not, can’t imagine a repair costing less than a replacement from a scrapper...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Tomjim

How much would a second hand one cost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Most definitly not repairable dont even go looking to have it repaired it is scrap and deadly dangerous if someone does repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Tomjim wrote: »
    Is this wheel repairable or will I need a new wheel on a Hyundai i30
    That’s beyond repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'm honestly not having a go, but is the original post a piss-take?

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'm honestly not having a go, but is the original post a piss-take?

I don’t think so. a lot of people wouldn’t know how that works. Of course you could weld it, but it would be very likely to fail again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭jmreire

Don't even think about it.......any harm in asking how it happened?

They’re still only 15s too, so the sidewall is massive on the tyres. Any other damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

jmreire wrote: »
    Don't even think about it.......any harm in asking how it happened?
    Let me guess....
    Wheel under car while it dropped of thew jack or similar.

it's not a piss take, I don't know a lot about those type of things.

Wife coming home and she said tyre bursted, when I took it off, I saw the problem.

When I bought the car, I was told it had got tip on the front, I assume now there was a weakness on the wheel and as a result this happened

How much for a second hand wheel in scrapyard

• Advertisement

Tomjim wrote:
    How much for a second hand wheel in scrapyard

Thing about second hand is you dont know what life its had. No harm pricing a new wheel from Hyundai may not be that expensive.

Thing about second hand is you dont know what life its had. No harm pricing a new wheel from Hyundai may not be that expensive.

I guarantee you it’ll be expensive!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Sure it couldn't have had much worse of a life than the wheel he already has.

Scrap yard wheel is the only solution IMO. Current wheel isn't repairable and a new rim from Hyundai will be insanely priced. Priced a spare 19" alloy for a Tucson just the other week, €645 ex VAT without a tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Not DIY, moved to main forum

Tried a few scrapyards this morning with no joy, where are the best scrapyards to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Tomjim wrote: »
    Tried a few scrapyards this morning with no joy, where are the best scrapyards to look at

Try kilcock dismantlers big operation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

bite the bullet, lube up and buy a new wheel, not worth the risk

Have a look on partfinder.ie will show you who has the model youre looking for. May be hard enough to get a s/h wheel breakers will want to sell as a set.

Did you look on ebay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

From what I can see it's a 15". Is that correct?
    If so, there is one listed here on Adverts for €80 with an almost new looking tyre too!

YmMxNTk5OWNkZDE1Mjk4OThkOGNkNTdkN2NlMGEzOGJNmgwqEaq8equEIw1XearMaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYmY2ZDllMTBmYzA4ODQ3ZmQxZDJkMTI1ZGY4MDBhMWQxMzliM2VjZWIyMDU2NDA4ZjRjMWFhNzgzNjljYTQ0MS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,615 ✭✭✭✭listermint

s8n wrote: »
    bite the bullet, lube up and buy a new wheel, not worth the risk

You must change all the wheels on any second had car you buy then do ya?
    The second hand is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

I'd be the first to advise against the false economy of SOME items used from dismantlers, but there is absolutely NO need to buy a new wheel!
    I would imagine 90% of cars on the road are still driving on the wheels that were fitted in the factory and there is never an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 8,266 ✭✭✭jmreire

Get a 2nd hand one, put it on a driving hub ( Front if its FWD, and rear if its a read wheel drive) While the car is still jacked up, start the engine and spin the wheel, put a bar or piece of wood close to the spinning wheel, and it will show you if there is any warp or buckle on the rim. Or even better, take it to your local tyre shop, have them balance it for you, and that will also show any warps or buckles. A visual inspection should show any repairs, especially if ( as more than likely ) you will be fitting a tyre on the rim.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭nc6000

Does the car have a spare wheel which is the same? Maybe use this and get a space saver as the spare.

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    From what I can see it's a 15". Is that correct?
    If so, there is one listed here on Adverts for €80 with an almost new looking tyre too!

YmMxNTk5OWNkZDE1Mjk4OThkOGNkNTdkN2NlMGEzOGJNmgwqEaq8equEIw1XearMaHR0cDovL21lZGlhLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vYmY2ZDllMTBmYzA4ODQ3ZmQxZDJkMTI1ZGY4MDBhMWQxMzliM2VjZWIyMDU2NDA4ZjRjMWFhNzgzNjljYTQ0MS5qcGd8fHx8fHwzOTZ4MjkyfGh0dHA6Ly93d3cuYWR2ZXJ0cy5pZS9zdGF0aWMvaS93YXRlcm1hcmsucG5nfHx8.jpg

Tyre on that looks brand new and factory going on the stickers,
    I’d say that wheel was never on a car.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Does the car have a spare wheel which is the same? Maybe use this and get a space saver as the spare.

No spare wheel only one of those small narrow spares I don't know their name

I'm looking at that wheel tomorrow - thanks for the help

Advertisement