Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Solution to stop cats pissing on the car?

Options
  • 01-07-2020 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

We moved to a new area last year. After a few weeks weeks I noticed the air ventilation in the car starting to stink. I mean really stick. I thought maybe a bird had gone into the front grill and died, or an animal had crawled in by the engine, but no sign.

There are a lot of cats in the area and we've spotted them taking turns "marking" the cars in the driveways. Fairly sure now that it's cat piss, it does have a foul urine smell. :( :mad:

Has anybody had to deal with a similar issue? How did you solve it? :confused:
    Something I can spray on the car? Or attach somewhere?
    The air-con is just not usable at the moment. Fine for now as we only use the car every few days and the weather is mild but will be an issue when we get colder or hotter weather.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,031 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

You can get some cat spray in places like B&Q or Woodies
    You might be applying it a lot in wet weather, but they should soon get the hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭bladespin

Have heard pepper puts them off, worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

It might be worthwhile to ask about this in the Animals & Pet Issues too; I doubt many car people know how to deter cats.

Mod edit. Nothing wrong with this post I just deleted the deleted post before it that was removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭blueshark2

Mod edit. Nothing wrong with this post I just deleted the deleted post before it that was removed

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

They don't like citrus, try pouring orange juice around the perimeter of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭oinkely

We had a problem with neighbourhood cats sh1tting in our flower beds. Tried loads of things and found the electronic animal repellent from lidl to be the only solution to really keep them away.

this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGJNW459idE

Loads of similar ones on ebay / wish / amazon

I just saw on another forum that a buildup of bacteria in a damp cabin/pollen filter can give off ammonia and smell like piss. That's something I might have to explore too, might not actually be the cats at fault! I can't get the smell outside the car, only when I turn the air on inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

blueshark2 wrote: »
    I just saw on another forum that a buildup of bacteria in a damp cabin/pollen filter can give off ammonia and smell like piss. That's something I might have to explore too, might not actually be the cats at fault! I can't get the smell outside the car, only when I turn the air on inside.

You should definitely be able to smell it outside the car if it's cat piss. A very distinctive and strong ammonia smell, unlike most other piss-like smells.

Sounds like it may not be cats...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Buy a Rover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

try getting some Feliway in the vets , or dspca , OR ONLINE ,

wash well the bumper and grill and wheels . then spray it all over them

it should tell the cats they have already sprayed them so they wont do it again, but you may have to do it once a week or two weeks , for ever

its a phermoerone synthetic that tricks cats into thinking they have marked it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

If you're using the aircon intermittently, then bacteria can grow on the evaporator coil and it can get pretty nasty, an ammonia-like smell as others have described. Blasting it with hot air might alleviate it a bit, otherwise it may require some disassembly and cleaning. If you turn on recirculation and can still smell it, that's more likely to be the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Cats. The jet ski of the pet world. No discernible function except to irritate everybody but their owners. Who of course just don’t understand why everybody doesn’t love them the same as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

endacl wrote: »
    Cats. The jet ski of the pet world. No discernible function except to irritate everybody but their owners. Who of course just don’t understand why everybody doesn’t love them the same as they do.

https://i0.wp.com/theverybesttop10.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Top-10-Action-Packed-Cats-Doing-Extreme-Sports-3.jpg?resize=768%2C502&ssl=1

Seriously, there are several brands of cat urine destroyer/remover which also should deter repeat performances. Citrus smells as said is another option they don't like anything lemoney.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Stratvs wrote: »
    https://i0.wp.com/theverybesttop10.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Top-10-Action-Packed-Cats-Doing-Extreme-Sports-3.jpg?resize=768%2C502&ssl=1

Seriously, there are several brands of cat urine destroyer/remover which also should deter repeat performances. Citrus smells as said is another option they don't like anything lemoney.

Good idea. Off to the shed to design a lemon cannon!

blueshark2 wrote: »

Yesterday I changed the pollen filter and the smell is 95% gone. Still the odd whiff but I think that's just from what's left in the pipework.

The filter was fairly gnarly and had that distinct smell, it was meant to have been changed 10 months ago but I suspect now that didn't happen!

I would like to apologies for pissing all over the character of our local cats, it seems they weren't to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

glad you sorted it out, do you regularly have A/C on or just every now and again? I think running it often really cuts down on issues as there can be a small ozone generator in there to keep the system clean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

endacl wrote: »

I have a cat but hate jet skis, so I’m very conflicted by the accuracy of this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Talk to the cats and explain how you feel

• Advertisement

glad you sorted it out, do you regularly have A/C on or just every now and again? I think running it often really cuts down on issues as there can be a small ozone generator in there to keep the system clean

I regularly have it on when I'm using the car. It's been mostly parked up since mid March though and only used every few days for a quick 20min errand. I can't pinpoint when the smell started as it increased gradually but it might well have been from then. Only acknowledged it as a problem from mid April.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

JJayoo wrote: »
    Talk to the cats and explain how you feel

well i know what they 'd say!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Wow, it's like after hours several years ago when every response was "Blast it with piss"

Advertisement