Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Partial motor tax refund

Options
  • 30-05-2020 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Edit: apologies for typo in title.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get a partial motor tax refund?
    Tax from June 1 say for six months, drive for one month and get a refund on the unused five.
    I gather it’s possible to get a full refund if you haven’t used the car at all from the start date of the disc and it’s also possible if for medical reasons you are unable to drive but there seems to be no way of just declaring the car off the road and getting a refund or am I missing something?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

No, you can't get a refund, You are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,131 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

if you write the car off you can get a refund. You need a minimum of 3 months unexpired tax

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

if you write the car off you can get a refund. You need a minimum of 3 months unexpired tax

Thanks. I know if you destroy the car, scrap it or move it out of the state but it appears you only get a refund for those kinds of extremes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

motortax.jpg

It would appear there are actually a few different reasons you can get a refund and you can also see them on the PDF form here

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Mad_Mike wrote: »
    motortax.jpg

It would appear there are actually a few different reasons you can get a refund and you can also see them on the PDF form here

Yep, got all that from their website. Thought initially you could just decide to put the car off the road and get the refund but it appears I was wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had a car written off and managed to claim the tax back, but you can't just take a car off the road and claim back motor tax here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Title typo fixed

Advertisement