Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halfords open?

• 24-05-2020 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Are Halfords open?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭User1998

Yeah but you can’t go inside the shop, you have to tell the staff what you want and they go get it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

User1998 wrote: »
    Yeah but you can’t go inside the shop, you have to tell the staff what you want and they go get it for you

Might aswell be close then.

Yeah I was fairly disappointed

Can you order for collection?

Yeah I saw others do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Pretty big queues as well needed a new tube for my bike yesterday but would have been in the queue for probably 20 mins so didn't bother for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Fairly ridiculous carry on. The local petrol station has barely room for 2 people in its shop but can open with a limit of 5. Plenty of other very small shops throwing caution a bit to the wind while Halfords and many other retail units like it where you could happily space out 50-100 people at 2m distances can't open at all, and Tesco etc continue to limit the numbers to silly low levels, causing needless queues and frustration.

In the bigger stores it's also hard to understand all the queueing in aisles mullarkey. Just remove some shelves and make one long queue with adequate spacing.

I know this is unprecedented and all, but some of the reactions have been just plain stupid and ignorant of common sense.

sdanseo wrote: »
    Fairly ridiculous carry on. The local petrol station has barely room for 2 people in its shop but can open with a limit of 5. Plenty of other very small shops throwing caution a bit to the wind while Halfords and many other retail units like it where you could happily space out 50-100 people at 2m distances can't open at all, and Tesco etc continue to limit the numbers to silly low levels, causing needless queues and frustration.

In the bigger stores it's also hard to understand all the queueing in aisles mullarkey. Just remove some shelves and make one long queue with adequate spacing.

I know this is unprecedented and all, but some of the reactions have been just plain stupid and ignorant of common sense.

They should be closing the small shops rather than using it as an excuse to open bigger ones. This virus is not gone we need to be doubling our efforts.

I’ve no idea why petrol station shops have been allowed to let people inside at any stage. Of all the shops they are they best setup for serving to people outsider as they all have hatches etc for night time serving, madness really they are letting people in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

sdanseo wrote:

It's because the bigger shops don't want you in touching products and browsing at this point. Buyers only. Also if everyone went in browsing for a bit of release the people that actually want products could be waiting an hour outside till you come out.....with nothing.

None of those five people in the petrol station are just having a look!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Fairly sh1tty attitude from some of the posters in here. You cannot compare a tier 1 retailer to a tier 2 business, the guidelines and standards required for each are massively different. I would suggest you all take a read of the guidelines on returning to work before having ago at a retailer who is working responsibly within the guidelines.

You can be sure that the management of halfords would love the swing their doors open and let everyone in, but that would not inline with guidelines or be social responsible. Phase one is the start of a long road, if it's not carried out in a responsible manner we have a very real chance of moving backwards.

One thing i have learned from week one of my workplace being opened is, you cannot trust the general public to act responsibly in the current circumstances. The only option is to a process in places that eliminates the possibility of someone putting you in a compromised position. This is what Halfords have done, undoubtedly it has a negative effect on turnover but it is the correct and responsible way to operate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

A fair few motor factors open, best place for car parts etc. The staff in Halfords have a very basic knowledge of cars and automotive. I've asked for stuff in their stores before only to be met with a bewildered look.

D3V!L wrote: »
    A fair few motor factors open, best place for car parts etc. The staff in Halfords have a very basic knowledge of cars and automotive. I've asked for stuff in their stores before only to be met with a bewildered look.

Yeah of course there no point asking staff .but like most people who go into Halfords maybe for some cleaning stuff and a wander around to see if there anything interesting for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

peteb2 wrote: »
    It's because the bigger shops don't want you in touching products and browsing at this point. Buyers only. Also if everyone went in browsing for a bit of release the people that actually want products could be waiting an hour outside till you come out.....with nothing.

None of those five people in the petrol station are just having a look!

Most people don't want to browse, they want to get their essentials without an undue 30+ minute delay. There is absolutely no problem with reasonable distancing but when you have a 5,000sqm store you could let in more than just a few at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

D3V!L wrote: »

Halfords were handy for late opening and also pen on a Sunday unlike most motor factors. It can be hard to get to a motor factors if you are working during the week. In motor factors you cant' really browse, and have to queue up just to ask what they have in stock behind the counter and how much it costs.

I've a trade card with Halfords. I can look up the trade price on the website and check stock. Can be very handy for checking deals on engine oil, screen wash, bulbs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Lots of items out of stock in my local Halfords telling me to drive to Galway/Dublin for collection lol

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Whocare wrote: »
    Might aswell be close then.

How so? You can still get what you need. If you don't need anything you shouldn't be going to Halfords.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

recyclebin wrote: »
    Halfords were handy for late opening and also pen on a Sunday unlike most motor factors. It can be hard to get to a motor factors if you are working during the week. In motor factors you cant' really browse, and have to queue up just to ask what they have in stock behind the counter and how much it costs.

I've a trade card with Halfords. I can look up the trade price on the website and check stock. Can be very handy for checking deals on engine oil, screen wash, bulbs etc.

A motor factor's customer isn't the lad browsing or a lad dropping in to see what is on offer. Comparing Halfords to your average factors is like comparing a homewares shop to a hardware shop. Halfords don't sell 99% of what a factors sells, wipers and oil are about as much as you can get, everything else is accessories rather than replacement parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Lots of items out of stock in my local Halfords telling me to drive to Galway/Dublin for collection lol

Castlebar Halfords wasn't open yesterday when I went to call in. Are they only opening certain stores? Website also directs me to Galway when I check stock.

Ended up going to Top Part instead. They ended up being more expensive versus Halfords trade price for the same bottle of stp air con gas and hose.

recyclebin wrote: »
    Castlebar Halfords wasn't open yesterday when I went to call in. Are they only opening certain stores? Website also directs me to Galway when I check stock.

Ended up going to Top Part instead. They ended up being more expensive versus Halfords trade price for the same bottle of stp air con gas and hose.

Did you ask for trade price? They would probably match Halfords if you asked.

A motor factor's customer isn't the lad browsing or a lad dropping in to see what is on offer. Comparing Halfords to your average factors is like comparing a homewares shop to a hardware shop. Halfords don't sell 99% of what a factors sells, wipers and oil are about as much as you can get, everything else is accessories rather than replacement parts.

In fairness Halfords sell an awful lot more than you are making out there. Filters, batteries, breaks parts, all types of lubricants, spark plugs, bulbs etc

• Advertisement

In fairness Halfords sell an awful lot more than you are making out there. Filters, batteries, breaks parts, all types of lubricants, spark plugs, bulbs etc

Ok fair enough but my point is, your typical garage man doesn't go to Halfords. You're not going to walk into Halfords with an nct fail sheet and walk out with an engine mount, ARB and droplinks.

And in the interest of clarity, I have a very close connection to the motor factors mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

wander around to see if there anything interesting for sale
    sdanseo wrote: »
    Most people don't want to browse
    When worlds collide.

On topic, Halfords are open but people can't go inside. Instead I suggest going to local motor factors who need your money much more than a mega UK chain does.

What are Halford playing at ffs. When to Halford to get a bit paint sandpaper engine oil and few other things. Still can't go into shop at this rate I will need go to my local motor factor

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭DrSpongeBobz

Is it still only 10 halfords stores open?

Is it still only 10 halfords stores open?

Not sure. But one cork you can't go in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I needed a couple of things from Halfords in Swords over the weekend. Ordered them online and then went down when I got the text to say they were ready. I had to queue for half an hour.

It doesn't make much sense as all the shops around them at Airside are open and you can go in albeit after queueing. They told me that they expect to be open fully in a couple of weeks.

Tropheus wrote: »
    I needed a couple of things from Halfords in Swords over the weekend. Ordered them online and then went down when I got the text to say they were ready. I had to queue for half an hour.

It doesn't make much sense as all the shops around them at Airside are open and you can go in albeit after queueing. They told me that they expect to be open fully in a couple of weeks.
    yeah might try online there website I guess fairly good I guess

Halfords now are fully open

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

All of them or one you have gone to as not saying so on their websites thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Halfords now are fully open

So you can walk around inside?

Advertisement