Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How diverse are your friends?

Options
  • 05-10-2015 10:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

Just in the pub here thinking to myself, and by the hokey I get on well with a wide range of people from far flung parts. There's the Venezuelan chopper pilot, the Albanian exotic dancer, the Australian voiceover artiste, the Vietnamese barman, the Rwandan sociologist and the Afghan pizza chef for a start. Even people from Leitrim!

Who is your most unusual or unlikely friend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,684 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I've mates from every corner of Connaught.
    Well travelled bucks too, from Ballina to Ballinasloe and everywhere in between.

Except Balla.

Jesus we fcukin hate that Balla crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I've a friend called Mandy who likes to play with her own poo but we all accept her regardless.

Except she's not allowed to come to bridge night because nobody wants to handle pooey playing cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Steer clear of the Rwandan sociologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

What are these "friends" you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Do imaginary friends count?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

OneArt wrote: »
    I've a friend called Mandy who likes to play with her own poo but we all accept her regardless.

Except she's not allowed to come to bridge night because nobody wants to handle pooey playing cards.
    Get someone else to hold her cards, then you could say Mandy came and she played without taking. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

So you could say she came and she played without taking (cards)

That's a secret we're all trying to keep from Mandy as well.

None of us really know what bridge is. We just make it up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I've been lucky to be able to be friends with a lot of sound people from around the world through uni and some of the other work I do;Iranians, Afghans, Indonesians, Japanese, Chinese, Americans, Canadians, Brazilians, Peruvians, Venezuelans, Portuguese, Spanish, Italians, Dutch,South Africans, Rhodesians (their words), Ethiopians, Greeks, Turks, Albanians, Croats, Hungarians, Roma, Slovaks, Belarus, a load of Austrians and Germans, Poles, Russians, one from Chechnya, Welsh, Scots, English and even a few Irish ;)

Time to start a sticker book collection I think

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Absolutely all of them, from school, uni and socially, are from an Irish background. Fcuk me that's depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I have a Nigerian prince who is a very good friend of mine, and a girl on Facebook that is going to tell me how to get rid of bed bugs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

My job has Lithuanians, Romanians, Moldovans, Brazilians, South Africans, Irish, Northern Irish, Waterford, Killkenny, Chinese and Indian people working in it.

I call the pub the UN

brummytom wrote: »
    Absolutely all of them, from school, uni and socially, are from an Irish background. Fcuk me that's depressing

I know Jasper Carrot's email address if you want a Brummy mate? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Geez, I keep a fairly eclectic mix of friends now I actually think about it, from all corners of the social sphere, be they homeless, or living in mansions, wearing rags or wearing designer labels, illiterate to articulate, uneducated to professors, low ballers to high rollers...

All sorts of interesting people with all sorts of interests and stories to tell :)

They're a mixed bag really, love 'em all though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Just in the pub here thinking to myself, and by the hokey I get on well with a wide range of people from far flung parts. There's the Venezuelan chopper pilot, the Albanian exotic dancer, the Australian voiceover artiste, the Vietnamese barman, the Rwandan sociologist and the Afghan pizza chef for a start. Even people from Leitrim!

I've a couple of friends who are from other species.

My uncle is friends with a ghost in his house. Doesn't know her name but she keeps an eye on the place when he's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭antonymin

I don't have any friends, they all died. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

My job has Lithuanians, Romanians, Moldovans, Brazilians, South Africans, Irish, Northern Irish, Waterford, Killkenny, Chinese and Indian people working in it.

I call the pub the UN

No poles? Your boss is racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

My friend group includes a ginger...

Might aswell lock the thread now, dont think anyones gonna beat that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I call the pub the UN

Can you get in without a Thai?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RyanDrive

My friends are all strictly white Irish, which is quite sad really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I would say more like pragmatist. :D Poles and Russian Lithuanians don't mix (mostly Russian ones emigrated).

• Advertisement

Sign on the door says "Strictly no dancing allowed"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

You're always stuck in the pub ya big Alco :pac:

Can you get in without a Thai?

Can you get in a pub in SoDe without a 'haigh'?:pac:

You're my friend too! I like the riff raff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

My family is like the UN without even looking at my friends. My brother's (sadly now ex but still part of the family) girlfriend is Thai, my sister's boyfriend is English. I have a Dutch uncle. I have cousins who are all siblings from a family of 6 married to Dutch, German, Chinese, Canadian and one Irish. Last one isn't married yet but his girlfriend is Welsh.

Another cousin is married to a Turkish guy and yet another is married to a part Ugandan-Asian part Irish bloke.

I have ex boyfriends from Kosovo, Germany, Belgium, Trinidad and Puerto Rico. Friends with people from Barbados, France, Thailand (not including my bros ex), Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Spain, Norway and of course England, Scotland, America and Canada.

Hate them all though coz am a racist.

Yeah, Monaghan folk are really insular and inward looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Yeah, Monaghan folk are really insular and inward looking.

I know. I won't even mention the scandal of having Cavan cousins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭CINCLANTFLT

Some of my friends wipe their arse from the back towards the front... The rest of that are willing to try and accept this... Personally I hate the back to fronts... It makes me puke... But sure they're my friends...

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Kaiser Sosay

Veiled - Look at me I know some foreigners thread...:pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Have you been drinking again?

I've a friend called Marakesh named after the Marakesh express song

• Advertisement

Veiled - Look at me I know some foreigners thread...:pac:
    What people wear in this thread is their own concern

Advertisement