Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chill,cheap Coffee shops in Eindhoven worth a visit..

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

And plenty of high achievers too it must be said,of both genders.Some folk enjoy walking around taking in the surroundings,others like something a little more hedonistic. Me,I enjoy both. Horses for courses as they say.Personally,I don't find the architecture in Eindhoven anything special, that said I mainly go there en route to somewhere else, so my knowledge of the city is somewhat limited to the main square, and the dommelstraat.For architecture, Utrecht beats it hands down, or as a poster above mentioned, Leiden. You get the lovely buildings and canals,but without the drug tourists,and both towns have a distinctly more Dutch 'feel' about them.

There's lots to do in Eindhoven

The Strijp-S Complex has the Feel Good market 3rd Sunday of every month.
    The Ketelhuis also at the feelgood market that has an outdoor BBQ.

http://feelgoodmarket.nl/

There's the Klokgebouw which is a great venue:
    http://www.klokgebouw.nl/

Natlab with its outdoor Cinema, also has a Night Club that goes until 5am
    http://www.klokgebouw.nl/

The Evoluon has some events on as well, looks like a big flying saucer, went to see Kraftwerk which was awesome :)

Quite a good War Museum:
    http://www.wingsofliberation.nl/
    Although the Tanks aren't as pretty as in the Overloon Museum all of the Vehicles are driveable, you can go there some days and see some T-34 tanks have a drive around the place

Some great parks too:
    Genneper Park
    http://genneperparken.nl/

Philips van Lennepark
    http://www.eindhoven.nl/artikelen/Philips-van-Lenneppark.htm

Philips de Jonghpark
    http://www.eindhoven.nl/inwonersplein/leefomgeving/Philips-De-Jongh-wandelpark.htm

The National Swimming Center:
    http://tongelreep.nl/

Aquabest recreational park:
    http://www.aquabest.nl/

Theres a ton of other stuff I could list but the short of it is if you want to see some stuff in Eindhoven you need a bike, its one of the most bicycle friendly cities in the Netherlands.

If you go to Eindhoven with the plan to just go and party then I would say you should do some research and see what events are on.

For weed .. not really .. although i'm kind of happy about it, there were far too many green faced English and Irish people staggering around the place on stag parties or coming to get completely mashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

ASZ
    catallus wrote: »
    QFT. Indeed. Why are they laughing, in those cages?

They fashion their fetters to flail in their futility and fulminate at the forbearance of their fraternisers!

What?
    XZ
    VxXxXZxZXZXXXVxXxXZxZXZXXXVc
    CXAxXAZZ

bigtomm wrote: »
    Ok,so i wasn't born with the brains in the family...

Let me rephrase my question " wink wink" is there any particularly chill cheap coffee shops for a "nod nod" Newtonian cake(as to play with Gravity) not just the crumbs and a coffee

So I just found out Eindhoven isn't in Germany..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There are so many enjoyable attractions in Eindhoven. Go have a look at the splendid architecture in Sint-Catharinakerk (St. Catherine's Cathedral), browse around the Van Abbe Museum or even just go for a stroll in Wandelpark Eckhart.

Very typical immature attitude of wanting to just go and get 'monged' on spacecakes. Sadly very common amongst low-achieving Irish males.

What do the lower achieving Irish females do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Eindhoven will not allow you to buy buds in their coffeeshops unless you can prove you are a citizen of netherlands.

i was there recently, and this is enforced. so i flew through amsterdam and picked up my supply there. it's only an hour and a half on the train, but you WILL NOT be sold weed in Eindhoven... except for off dodgy yokes outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

If you are getting for weed, we have a new law in The Netherlands that weed cannot be sold to people that are not dutch anymore.

Just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Van Hoop

Asmooh wrote: »
    If you are getting for weed, we have a new law in The Netherlands that weed cannot be sold to people that are not dutch anymore.

Just saying.

Maybe that's only in the border towns. Bought a few grams last night in amsterdam no problem or id. Also in Leiden as mentioned you only need to show id for age purposes, my Irish drivers licence was fine. Also nice and cheap in Leiden. 5 grams of nice fruity white widow for 32 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭dont bother

Van Hoop wrote: »
    Maybe that's only in the border towns. Bought a few grams last night in amsterdam no problem or id. Also in Leiden as mentioned you only need to show id for age purposes, my Irish drivers licence was fine. Also nice and cheap in Leiden. 5 grams of nice fruity white widow for 32 euro.

it is definitely 100% enforced in Eindhoven. Amsterdam is still OK to let tourists in, but there are only a handful of other towns/areas which still allow tourists, and Eindhoven is not one of them.

it's a nice little town, but it would definitely ruin your holiday if you are going there for coffeeshops and you arent allowed buy anything from them.

100% you will not be sold green there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

mariaalice wrote: »
    What do the lower achieving Irish females do?
    In my experience, move to Eindhoven :P

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Of all the **** places in Holland, Eindhoven would be right at the top. "City" built for Philips employees in the past. Wouldnt live there for free basically.
    There is really nothing positive to say about that hell hole while the area around it is actually quite nice.

As for coffee shops, no idea. I am Dutch and interested in that ****. That is what happens if you take the "illegal" out of things, it loses about 90% of its attraction.

• Advertisement

inforfun wrote: »
    Of all the **** places in Holland, Eindhoven would be right at the top. "City" built for Philips employees in the past. Wouldnt live there for free basically.
    There is really nothing positive to say about that hell hole while the area around it is actually quite nice.

As for coffee shops, no idea. I am Dutch and interested in that ****. That is what happens if you take the "illegal" out of things, it loses about 90% of its attraction.
    LOL... compare to ROTTERDAM eindhoven is heaven

LOL... compare to ROTTERDAM eindhoven is heaven

Lets not get into that on an Irish site.

Someone asked an opinion on Eindhoven and where to get his "smokes"
    I answered that, somewhat.

Eindhoven will not allow you to buy buds in their coffeeshops unless you can prove you are a citizen of netherlands.

i was there recently, and this is enforced. so i flew through amsterdam and picked up my supply there. it's only an hour and a half on the train, but you WILL NOT be sold weed in Eindhoven... except for off dodgy yokes outside.

Just saying.

Wrong there, its for people that are Dutch Residents, nothing to do with being Dutch.

http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/persoonsgegevens/vraag-en-antwoord/wat-is-de-gemeentelijke-basisadministratie-gba.html

You get membership of a a coffee shop (wietpas) by getting an extract from the register from your local city hall if you want, but you can also use other identity now that proves you live in the Netherlands, but that has nothing to do with being Dutch.

Eindhoven is not in Holland, but yeh, Rotterdam is a Kip, I used to live in the Hague and Rotterdam was like visiting Ballymun.

Wrong there, its for people that are Dutch Residents, nothing to do with being Dutch.

http://www.rijksoverheid.nl/onderwerpen/persoonsgegevens/vraag-en-antwoord/wat-is-de-gemeentelijke-basisadministratie-gba.html

You get membership of a a coffee shop (wietpas) by getting an extract from the register from your local city hall if you want, but you can also use other identity now that proves you live in the Netherlands, but that has nothing to do with being Dutch.

Eindhoven is not in Holland.
    Hmm, I tought that you needed to have a Dutch ID card, which you will get after living in The Netherlands for 5 years.

I don't use drugs tho.. so I don't know the ins-outs

Hmm, I tought that you needed to have a Dutch ID card, which you will get after living in The Netherlands for 5 years.

Your talking about a Verblijfsvergunning (Permanent Residents card)

EU/EEA Citizens don't get those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭denhaagenite

Nope, you can go to the Gemeente and get a verklaring van residentie, mentioning that you want it to get a wietpas. It lasts for 3 months so people go to the coffeeshop and get a sort of membership card there I believe. I'm not a smoker either but people were asking for awhile after it became prohibited for non residents to buy so I found out.

Your talking about a Verblijfsvergunning (Permanent Residents card)

EU/EEA Citizens don't get those.
    No, but you can get an ID card after 5 years

No, but you can get an ID card after 5 years

No you don't, I've lived here nearly 8 years, only Dutch Citizens get a National ID Card, everyone else uses their National ID Card from their own country which means Irish people don't have any ID Card (at the moment)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

'T bakkerij maybe, or Pink if they're still there. Most places are crap. Eindhoven is crap.

Eindhoven is beautiful, if you're looking for a quite weekend away.
    If you're after mayhem and debauchery - you'd be much better of in Amsterdam - from what I remember it's about half an hour or so away by train.

Eindhoven is not in Holland, but yeh, Rotterdam is a Kip, I used to live in the Hague and Rotterdam was like visiting Ballymun.

Yeah, i call my county whatever the **** i like, thank you very much.

There is someone in this thread advising the OP to go to Groningen in Friesland..... Now, if you feel the need to point out errors, knock yourself out.
    And if you go through the same person posting history, you ll find a few more gems like that about Holland/The Netherlands.

• Advertisement

No you don't, I've lived here nearly 8 years, only Dutch Citizens get a National ID Card, everyone else uses their National ID Card from their own country which means Irish people don't have any ID Card (at the moment)
    that sucks, because you need to identify yourself in Netherlands, so you need to carry an ID always otherwise they can give you a ticket for it.

Yeah, i call my county whatever the **** i like, thank you very much.

There is someone in this thread advising the OP to go to Groningen in Friesland..... Now, if you feel the need to point out errors, knock yourself out.
    And if you go through the same person posting history, you ll find a few more gems like that about Holland/The Netherlands.

Good man.
    that sucks, because you need to identify yourself in Netherlands, so you need to carry an ID always otherwise they can give you a ticket for it.

Only if you do something wrong, even then you only need to Identify yourself to the point where you can prove to the police who you actually are, I cross the border every day for the last 7 years and never had a problem.

Its the same rule in Ireland, if you commit an offence and the Gardai aren't satisfied that you are who you say you are they can hold you in custody until its possible to verify your identity.

Good man.
    Its the same rule in Ireland, if you commit an offence and the Gardai aren't satisfied that you are who you say you are they can hold you in custody until its possible to verify your identity.
    Hmm i didn't know that :)

I don't feel like carrying my passport all the time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Sindbad coffee shop will hook you up OP, just ask for Geert ;)

http://www.coffeeshop-sindbad.nl/shop.php?l=en

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Poor ol Rotterdam getting a bit of a beating here,pity,love the new high rise buildings going up there,one of the top modern city skylines in Europe.When I lived o'er yonder,the more smoke inclined fellahs would head of to Breda or Amsterdam.And to reccommend a placefor sight seeing,I would say Middleburg-quite an interesting place and more of a low church vibe that is missing from the larger Dutch cities.

Advertisement