Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Intergration calculating centroid of an area

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

=3/2 LN +c

=3/2 LN [1+x^2]+c

Brackets are incorrect but all I can find.

Well done. That's it all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Lovely. Thanks again for your help.

I have another turning point question think I might be close.

calculate the turning points and max and min value on the curve

Y=x^3-3x^3-9x+10.

using integration find the area between curves y=x2+1 and y=7-x

x2 +1=7-x
    x2+1-7+x=0
    x2-6+x=0
    X2+x-6=0
    (x-3)(x+2)
    x=-3 x=2

wondering if im on the right track

I'm out on the sauce for New Year's Eve but I will reply to your posts tomorrow if nobody gets there before me. Happy new year!

TheBody wrote: »
    I'm out on the sauce for New Year's Eve but I will reply to your posts tomorrow if nobody gets there before me. Happy new year!

Enjoy, cracking open a can here myself :D Happy New Year

• Advertisement

Lovely. Thanks again for your help.

I have another turning point question think I might be close.

calculate the turning points and max and min value on the curve

Y=x^3-3x^3-9x+10.

Everything looks good in that one. The ony comment I'd make is that after testing the points in the second derivative to determine which point is the local max and min, you should write down which point is which. i.e say that (-1,15) is the local max and (3,-17) is the local min.

using integration find the area between curves y=x2+1 and y=7-x

x2 +1=7-x
    x2+1-7+x=0
    x2-6+x=0
    X2+x-6=0
    (x-3)(x+2)
    x=-3 x=2

wondering if im on the right track

That is almost correct. You made a small error with the signs of the factors. It should be [latex](x+3)(x-2)=0[/latex]. Giving you that x=-3 or x=2.

You have found the x coordinates where the two curves meet.

When finding the area betwen two curves, it's really useful to draw a rough sketch of the curves first. You need to know which curve is "on top" and which curve is on "the bottom".

Keep going and see how you get on.

This is fine so far. You have found the x coordinates where the two curves meet.

When finding the area betwen two curves, it's really useful to draw a rough sketch of the curves first. You need to know which curve is "on top" and which curve is on "the bottom".

Keep going and see how you get on.

Should I have x=0

x2 +1=7-x
    x2+1-7+x=0
    x2-6+x=0
    X2+x-6=0
    x(x-3)(x+2)
    x=0,x=-3, x=2

Looking at my notes I noticed that we sketched the curved to see which was positive and which was negative.

I'm I right in saying I need y coordinates?

X=1
    Y=X^2+X-6
    Y=(1)^2+(1)-6
    Y=1+1-6
    Y=-4

(1,-4)

I'm a bit confused why we need to know this

I have just changed post #38. I missed a small mistake.

X=0 is NOT a root of the quadratic equation. What you had done the first time (apart from the small error pointed out in post #38 was correct.

With regards finding the y values, the ony use they serve is in helping you draw a more accurate sketch. They won't play any part in the actual integration.

Also in the post above, you ran x=1 through the function. I don't know why you did this. Run the x values found earlier through one of the functions. It doesn't matter which one you use.

I have just changed post #38. I missed a small mistake.

X=0 is NOT a root of the quadratic equation. What you had done the first time (apart from the small error pointed out in post #38 was correct.

With regards finding the y values, the ony use they serve is in helping you draw a more accurate sketch. They won't play any part in the actual integration.

Also in the post above, you ran x=1 through the function. I don't know why you did this. Run the x values found earlier through one of the functions. It doesn't matter which one you use.

x2 +1=7-x
    x2+1-7+x=0
    x2-6+x=0
    X2+x-6=0
    (x-3)(x+2)
    x-3=0,x=3
    x+2=0,x=-2
    x=3, x=-2

On the formula I need to plug in the coordinates,

What i'm not sure of is where to get the other two coordinates.

Ill use two parts of the area formula, on that formula I have a,b,b,c where I plug in the coordinates are the other two coordinates 0?

• Advertisement

On the formula I need to plug in the coordinates,

What i'm not sure of is where to get the other two coordinates.

Ill use two parts of the area formula, on that formula I have a,b,b,c where I plug in the coordinates are the other two coordinates 0?

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

What you need to do next is draw a sketch of curves. Then to find the area you work out:

[latex]\int_{-3}^2[/latex](upper curve)-(lower curve) dx

Sketched the graph and nothing below the line

Still confused to the importance of knowing this.

Sketched the graph and nothing below the line

Still confused to the importance of knowing this.

Sketch looks ok. You need to do this to find out which curve was "on top". Now you know the [latex]7-x[/latex] is on top and the [latex]x^2+1[/latex] is on the bottom (at least over the interval from -3 to 2).

At any rate now you find the area by working out:

[latex]\int_{-3}^2(7-x)-(x^2+1)dx[/latex]

Sketch looks ok. You need to do this to find out which curve was "on top". Now you know the [latex]7-x[/latex] is on top and the [latex]x^2+1[/latex] is on the bottom (at least over the interval from -3 to 2).

At any rate now you find the area by working out:

[latex]\int_{-3}^2(7-x)-(x^2+1)dx[/latex]

so because 7-x is on top it's plugged in to the formula first?

so because 7-x is on top it's plugged in to the formula first?

Yes, that's exactly it. The best way to see that is with a sketch.

Yes, that's exactly it. The best way to see that is with a sketch.

how do you know where the coordinates go a=-3 b=2 is it because -3 is first on the table working out y+7-x so -3=a?

Had a go at finishing

Had a go at finishing it

Very close!! You made a small mistake near the beginning when you were removing the brackets. You should have,

[latex]\int_{-3}^2(7-x)-(x^2+1) dx=\int_{-3}^2 7-x-x^2-1 dx=\int_{-3}^2-x^2-x+6 dx[/latex].

Other than that your method was correct. Also, you should have equal signs as you progress from step to step.

how do you know where the coordinates go a=-3 b=2 is it because -3 is first on the table working out y+7-x so -3=a?

If you look at the sketch you made of the region, the most left x value is -3 and it runs up as far as x=2. Thats why I used those values.

Not sure if that makes sense??

• Advertisement

Very close!! You made a small mistake near the beginning when you were removing the brackets. You should have,

[latex]\int_{-3}^2(7-x)-(x^2+1) dx=\int_{-3}^2 7-x-x^2-1 dx=\int_{-3}^2-x^2-x+6 dx[/latex].

Other than that your method was correct. Also, you should have equal signs as you progress from step to step.

Why did the sign change?

is it because -+=-

Why did the sign change?

is it because -+=-

Yes, the minus sign before the second bracket causes a sign change of everything inside the bracket.

Yes, the minus sign before the second bracket causes a sign change of everything inside the bracket.

Perfect.

It's something you always need to be keeping an eye out for.

What year are in?

The equivalent of second year. If I pass this year I'll have a level 6 higher certificate.

What method do I use for part (1)

The equivalent of second year. If I pass this year I'll have a level 6 higher certificate.

Fair play. Keep working hard and you will do fine.

What method do I use for part (1)

When it comes to deciding if an integral is to be done using regular substitution, you ask yourself, is there anything there that if DIFFERENTIATED, would give you the other bit, and your not too bothered about constants? You have to deal with any constants but they don't cause any trouble. If there is, then you let that bit be "u".

So, With that in mind and looking at your problem, do you notice anything between the top and bottom?

When it comes to deciding if an integral is to be done using regular substitution, you ask yourself, is there anything there that if DIFFERENTIATED, would give you the other bit, and your not too bothered about constants? You have to deal with any constants but they don't cause any trouble. If there is, then you let that bit be "u".

So, With that in mind and looking at your problem, do you notice anything between the top and bottom?

do we use partial fractions method. factorise the top line?

but you can only factorise the denominator

• Advertisement

do we use partial fractions method. factorise the top line?

but you can only factorise the denominator

No, it's not partial fractions. DIFFERENTIATE the top line and see if you notice anything......

Advertisement