Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chilivary ... Old Fashioned??

• 22-04-2010 4:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

So this morning I got to work... waited for the lift etc, 2 other employees of the female variety arrived naturally I stood back and let them into lift first. Its a pretty small lift maybe 5 people max. we were all getting off on the same floor... so i stood back again... a little awkwardly due to the size of the lift... out goes the biggish Estonian woman who works in accounts... she turns and says... "oh you polite Irish man" ... not knowing if this was a question or not I smiled and walked away.

I always hold doors, stand back etc, for female friends or anyone, people sometimes comment on it... but it feels weird to barge threw a door ahead of someone. I guess its just something my mother bet into me as a kid!!

So what do the good folk of AH think... old fashioned or not... would you push a granny out of the way to get a seat on the bus?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's just nice to hold the door open for someone. It shouldn't only just be a man holding the door for a woman.

The worst is when you do it and the ****ers don't even say thank you :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

I don't think chivalry is dead. Guys often get doors etc and I always
    say thanks. It's so rude to ignore a polite gesture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭red herring

Chivalry is most certainly not dead. I know most women prefer men to be courteous and polite with regards to doors, chairs, etc.. its a big plus for many women if a man has manners and doesnt barge into a lift, knocking people over! :P
    At the same time I think a modern approach is best, women should also be polite and gracious torwards men, and I always insist on paying for my coffee/dinner etc I have to go dutch on dates, I refuse to have a man pay for me. Before women worked it was appropriate for men to pay but now both sexes work I think its fair to go dutch, for my independence.
    So no, I do not think chivalry is dead, manners matter. But when it comes to men paying for things ''to be chivalrous'' I think its dated.

miss5 wrote: »

I had a thread about this recently with a Poll, maybe there will be a merge.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055853821

Anyway, I think you're right, but people take exception to it as you can see from my OP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

I agree, just got the door for an elderly lady yesterday and she was only too pleased. I got a big smile and a thanks, I wasn't looking for a big smile or thanks I was raised to do so, but getting the smile and thanks was great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

OutlawPete wrote: »

Anyway, I think you're right, but people take exception to it as you can see from my OP :)
    I remember that thread, I think an experience with someone incredibly rude
    could put people off getting doors etc.

It costs nothing to say thanks.

I remember that thread, I think an experience with someone incredibly rude
    could put people off getting doors etc.

It costs nothing to say thanks.

It could, but I wouldn't let it put me off tbh.

People like that just ruin things for everyone else.

Tis nice to be nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Depends on whether 'chivalry' equals 'holding doors open etc for people' or 'holding doors open etc just for women'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Doop

OutlawPete wrote: »

Dagnamit Pete is there anything you havent already done a thread on !! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Doop wrote: »
    would you push a granny out of the way to get a seat on the bus?

This has nothing to do with chilivary. I'd let an oul fella have my seat as well. In answer to your question, it's far from dead, especially if ya can get a roide out of it.

a roide from the granny or the oul fella ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Doop wrote: »
    a roide from the granny or the oul fella ??

Do I have to choose one?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 164 ✭✭yogy

I've been saying this word in my head for ages and can't decide which is funnier.
    Pronouncing it...

1) Chili-Vary

or

2) Chilivary (as in Delivery)

maybe we could do a poll?

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Do I have to choose one?

nah .. go for the 3some if you like just report back here with pics

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

None of the above really sounds like chivalry to me... If you ONLY do that for women, then you're an impolite knob tbh.
    Basic manners/being polite to your fellow person are a totally different kettle of fish to being chivalrous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭marglin

I don't know about anyone else, I always hold doors for everyone, I usually have headphones in so I cant hear whether they thank me or not, so it doesn't matter to me.
    Also shouldn't matter if it's a man or a woman. Manners cost nothing, regardless of sex.
    Having said that got a big smile off this hot girl at college the other for holding the door open which was a nice plus, but like I said if that's your only motivation it's not chivalry it's just creepy.
    But just in case you're feeling a little bit evil it is quite funny to hold open a door for someone who's a nice bit away from it, with the effect they run for it. It'll take them ages to realise you weren't being courteous just having a laugh, if they realise at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm a man and i hate f'uckers who don't hold doors for me, it's just plain rude to let a door shut on someone coming behind you, man or woman.
    I think the , ahem, "great" scooter summed it up best, "it's nice to be important, but it's important to be nice!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

It's like people who can spell properly, fading away:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Holding doors open or letting people go before you is just pure manners. It doesn't take much to attempt both and I think speaks volumes about a person if they are unable to do it.

I think a man doing it for a woman though just adds a bit more class to it... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I just couldn't be bothered. It just one more tiresome and needless interaction that I have to make with people on a daily basis.

Besides, if you're going to hold the door for someone then do it for everyone (not just some cute lady that you have your eye on). However I work with enough ***** (both male & female) who wouldn't return the favour that I've just stopped completely.

Amazing how just being around certain people can turn you into a cúnt, but that's what happened to me.

Advertisement