Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Renewal appointment for driver licence April (NDLS closed!)

• 29-03-2020 1:45pm

Rather than start a similar thread, I’ve booked a renewal appointment for drivers license April - any word on the centres closing? I don’t have a PPS card or whatever it’s called so have to go in person- will this be suspended as well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from NCT thread

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Send them an email explaining your situation. They may have staff working from home who may be able to provide a letter/email of comfort until things get back to normal. I'd also notify insurance company.

His statement is reassuring i.e. not to worry if licence about to expire:

Minister Ross said:

"I have asked my officials to immediately engage with the RSA to introduce measures that will address issues arising from the suspension of these services. It is critical that we give drivers as well as operators of commercial vehicles peace of mind in relation to the status of their licence, learner permit, NCT certificate or certificate of roadworthiness, especially if it has expired or is likely to expire during the period of the COVID-19 health crisis.
    "Specifically, I am looking at introducing measures that will extend the period of validity of these official documents and hope to provide further detail for the public next week.
    "In the meantime, I want to make it absolutely clear that people should not and do not need to worry about these things. E..........
    Road Safety laws remain in force and will be enforced. Drivers must not speed or drive under the influence of alcohol or drugs and they must keep their vehicles roadworthy – for their own sakes and all our sakes."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

While some can get renewals online, those on old paper licences or without the social services card/gov id as well as the elderly who need a doctor's cert and professional drivers who need a doctor's cert and an eyesight test on top of a trip to the renewal office are going to have to be accommodated.

The only sensible option is to extend licence validity past current expiry for everyone until the restrictions are lifted and any backlog can be processed.

• Advertisement

Vic_08 wrote: »
    While some can get renewals online, those on old paper licences or without the social services card/gov id as well as the elderly who need a doctor's cert and professional drivers who need a doctor's cert and an eyesight test on top of a trip to the renewal office are going to have to be accommodated.

The only sensible option is to extend licence validity past current expiry for everyone until the restrictions are lifted and any backlog can be processed.

Requirement for Medical cert for over 70s suspended.

The rest of the detail will come next week as per statement above

• Registered Users Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know if these are still open. No Mention of closure on Facebook or Twitter and I can't get through on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

billyhead wrote:
    Does anyone know if these are still open. No Mention of closure on Facebook or Twitter and I can't get through on the phone.

Their website says they're closed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭homingbird

In the UK when you pass your test @ 18 your drivers licence doesent expire until you reach 70 how can they get away with it here its a money racket proves the motorist pays for everthing . What are they going to do when they start to loseout heavy from fuel duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭listermint

homingbird wrote: »
    In the UK when you pass your test @ 18 your drivers licence doesent expire until you reach 70 how can they get away with it here its a money racket proves the motorist pays for everthing . What are they going to do when they start to loseout heavy from fuel duty.

I'm insure how true or not that statement is but that's a stupid system.

18 year old homingbirds photo does not look like 69 year old homingbird.

It's a stupid system if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

homingbird wrote: »
    Not quite ... In the UK you have two parts to your licence, the main licence which never expires, and a photo card which needs to be renewed every 10 years, just like the driving licence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Cerco

I think a little bit of common sense will avoid any concerns of recently expired driving licences. I doubt any person, not to mind organisation is unaware of the critical situation. Nobody will be penalised for being unable to renew when the offices are closed. There is no need for anybody to seek further assurances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Here's a post I made last week in the learning to drive section when I discovered my expired license, so much for an easy means to renew online:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058062111

Somewhat related but realised my own license expired a few weeks ago.

I renewed my passport last year online and it was great, whole process completed in a few minutes and I had my new passport delivered after 3 days, was very impressed with the ease and efficiency. Thought/hoped it would be somewhat similar with the driving license, how wrong.

Looks like you can renew online but only with a verified MyGovID account and in order to get that you need a Public Services Card (PSC). I don't have either so would have to do a face to face registration to confirm my identity despite having a driving license for renewal and an Irish passport. Due to the current Covid19 scenario all appointments for a PSC card have been postponed indefinitely. So much for online.

Resorting so to completing the D401 paper form and bringing the additional paper work in person I expected the office to be in Smithfield where the Motor Tax office is situated. Wrong again, 4 NDLS Dublin centers available but all miles away in Leopardstown, Citywest, Santry or Clarehall and nothing really near the city centre. Again given Covid19 situation no walk in services available and appointment required but no appointment slots available for a Sat or even midweek for at least two weeks.

Great, what a means to make things easy with some joined up thinking and shared platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Just released, expiring nct & licences will remain valid during this period of closure. (Including your insurance remaining valid)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

I have both a mygov account and PSC card, however when you attempt to apply online for a licence renewal it asks you to verify your Mygov account, but upon doing this, the link crashes "this resource cannot be found".

Absolutely ridiculous that a service as basic as this is not facilitated online in an easy fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

BronsonTB wrote: »
    Just released, expiring nct & licences will remain valid during this period of closure. (Including your insurance remaining valid)

Source?

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    I have both a mygov account and PSC card, however when you attempt to apply online for a licence renewal it asks you to verify your Mygov account, but upon doing this, the link crashes "this resource cannot be found".

Absolutely ridiculous that a service as basic as this is not facilitated online in an easy fashion.

Did you not read the advisory overlapping the home page that “services are suspended”?

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Source?

Take a look at the NDLS homepage.
    Also widely reported in newspapers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Just realised my licence expires in a few days.
    Never got notification (do they?).

Anyway, went to book appointment but can't get one til end of the month and I don't have a PSC so can't apply online.

The extension only effective for licences that expired in to June.

Anyone know can I get urgent appointments or if the current booking system refreshes?

Did you try a few centres or just one?
    Book an appointment so you will have proof of appointment via text. If you are stopped you should be okay with that. You could keep looking for an earlier appointment and if you find one you can cancel the later one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement