Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mühle R41

Options
  • 02-11-2019 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭

I've been DE shaving for about 20 years ago, mostly with a Feather All-Stainless Razor and Feather blades. Six weeks ago I brought the R41 and have been using that with Feather blades too. From what I see in other wet having forums, this is probably the most aggressive combination you can find. So far, I have discovered two things:
    • I will invariably nick myself, usually on the chin and just under my nose, but
    • I never get razor burn any more, even on the most sensitive areas.

The nicks aren't a problem with the styptic pencil, and I'm enjoying the closest shaves I have ever had. Any other R41 users here who would like to comment?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,100 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I was using it for ages with Astra blades always got a good shave, tried a packet of feather blades really found them too harsh, got loads of nicks, I stuck out the full packet but still the same gone back to Astra.
    So love my R41 but not feather blades. I only tried them on a recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Interesting. I've used Feather blades for years and bought another hundred of them just a couple of months ago, so that's why I'm using them with the R41. I have a half-pack of Wilkinson Sword blades lying around that I bought when I went on holiday and forgot to bring any Feathers. They're not great but they are certainly milder. Might try one and see what it's like. If that doesn't work, I might go into that place in the Stephen's Green centre and buy one pack of Astras at their greedy price. Or does anyone know whether what Tesco sell are still Personnas?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Michael G wrote: »
    Interesting. I've used Feather blades for years and bought another hundred of them just a couple of months ago, so that's why I'm using them with the R41. I have a half-pack of Wilkinson Sword blades lying around that I bought when I went on holiday and forgot to bring any Feathers. They're not great but they are certainly milder. Might try one and see what it's like. If that doesn't work, I might go into that place in the Stephen's Green centre and buy one pack of Astras at their greedy price. Or does anyone know whether what Tesco sell are still Personnas?

How much are they in Stephens green?

How much are they in Stephens green?
    Don’t know about the Astras. Last time I bought Feathers there, they were about 30% dearer than shaving.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Yep, different blades suit different razors. I was settled in on feathers with my starter DE89 but then I got into vintage Aristocrats. I quickly learned the different razor head meant one blade doesn't suit every razor. I already had a sample pack and found I had better luck with Gillette yellows and eventually settled on Personna Lab Blues. So play around or get a sample pack and I'm sure you'll find a good fit soon.

• Advertisement

I tried it with a Wilkinson Sword blade from Boot's – absolutely useless. It wasn't a smooth shave but I still nicked myself. Some Derby and Astra blades are on the way from http://www.shaving.ie so I'll see how I get on with those.

I tried it with a Wilkinson Sword blade from Boot's – absolutely useless. It wasn't a smooth shave but I still nicked myself. Some Derby and Astra blades are on the way from http://www.shaving.ie so I'll see how I get on with those.
    Certainly a gentler shave with the Astras and even more so with the Derbys, but not as smooth as I'm used to. So it's back to the Feathers, but very carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Maybe try Gillette 7 o'clock yellows or some Voshkod for a step below Feather. For another step down maybe try Personna blues.

Another member sent me some Rapiras in a swap, and I've had very good results with those and the R41. But I have also learned to angle it more carefully and to use less pressure. I'm going to try it with a Feather again soon because (a) I have over 100 Feathers and (b) using a Feather is the only claim I have to being a real man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

I may have some at home both Astras and 7s. I'm sticking to the feathers great shave.

• Advertisement

I'm getting to know the Mühle R41 better and I'm throwing away the few Astras I have left. I used one this morning and I feel as though I hadn't shaved since yesterday. I've got on well with the Rapiras and I think I'm ready to try a Feather again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SDIESEL77

Hi All
    I recently created a facebook page dedicated to Wet Shaving in Ireland, it'd be great to see you guys there: https://www.facebook.com/groups/787991701607839/ :)

Advertisement