Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin vs Cork for nightlife?

• 03-06-2020 1:19am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Any takes on this?

I briefly visited Cork but no real experience with its culture.

Apparently it's a fine city to live.

But contrast with Dublin nightlife?

Is there any comparison?
    Not talking about pubs sat about old man style - not to be a poof, but mostly Dance clubs.

I know I like Dublin just fine, plenty of options there, and students nights, AW LAWD.

Cork obviously doesn't have the Dublin population but that aside, much in terms of dance club venues in Cork in contrast to the aforemention?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Galway....

Ain't no night life and won't be for quite some time

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

Galway....

Ain't no night life and won't be for quite some time

Not factoring covid.

In the typical course of thing of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Any takes on this?

Is there any comparison?
    Not talking about pubs sat about old man style - not to be a poof, but mostly Dance clubs.

I know I like Dublin just fine, plenty of options there, and students nights, AW LAWD.

Cork obviously doesn't have the Dublin population but that aside, much in terms of dance club venues in Cork in contrast to the aforemention?
    Get a life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭snoopboggybog

Both are actually crap.

Cork is probably the strictest place in Ireland.

Kilkenny wins hands down

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Cork is better than Dublin but as Snoopboggybog says, Kilkenny is the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

My mate was playing a gig a while ago in Cork and a few of us went down to it, it's a great spot to go out in and the club he played in (Dali) was great, had a ball so we did, didn't seem much different than a Dublin night out....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If you want disco dancing and don't like the few scoops on the high stool - it is not a question of cities.
    You are simply in the wrong country. This is a job for Ryanair, not Iarnrod Éireann.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Any takes on this?

Is there any comparison?

seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

"not to be poof". Imagine being at the point of creating a thread and creating a narrative about nightlife in Irish cities just to show your intolerance. Find better things to do OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Both cork and Dublin are crap holes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Dowtcha bhoy! Down in Cork, you'd be known as a Langer:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

It’s been a while since I was in Cork, but I remember places closing early - around 2am? Then being on the streets with loads of langers all looking to head to Hillybilly’s for fried chicken.

Certainly a wider range of late night venues in Dublin. And better pubs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,510 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Its answer is without question Dublin , its a bigger City so has way more to chose from and wider variety ,
    People may not like Dublin or Dubs and prefer a smaller City feel but if your to compare both on night life and are honest its Dublin hands down,

Now in saying that I think night life in Ireland peaked in the early 00's , I don't think you will ever see night life like that again in Ireland ,
    There a number of reasons it was the height of the boom , so many people out so many clubs to chose from , Money a plenty , Social media wasn't around really so people where out to just enjoy themselves not for pictures or to be seen somewhere,
    Now young people all know each other from Instagram and the likes back then you'd bump into some have a cracker of a night and never see them again , It also cause tension in some clubs as people no everyone else's business ,

Early 00's they where good times to be young and on the party scene, ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Its answer is without question Dublin , its a bigger City so has way more to chose from and wider variety ,
    People may not like Dublin or Dubs and prefer a smaller City feel but if your to compare both on night life and are honest its Dublin hands down,

Now in saying that I think night life in Ireland peaked in the early 00's , I don't think you will ever see night life like that again in Ireland ,
    There a number of reasons it was the height of the boom , so many people out so many clubs to chose from , Money a plenty , Social media wasn't around really so people where out to just enjoy themselves not for pictures or to be seen somewhere,
    Now young people all know each other from Instagram and the likes back then you'd bump into some have a cracker of a night and never see them again , It also cause tension in some clubs as people no everyone else's business ,

Early 00s were definitely the golden time for me anyway. It could be just down to the age I was then (20 - 21) but there were some great little sweaty clubs around Dublin at the time banging out some good hard techno and there was always an after party or warehouse/beach rave.

Both are actually crap.

Cork is probably the strictest place in Ireland.

Kilkenny wins hands down

Sorry but how do you draw that conclusion? Kilkenny has only 2 nightclubs, both of which are quite country as far as I recall, lots of seating, bar stools and bogger music.

OP is looking for dance clubs. Kilkenny is better than the bigger cities if you're looking for a more relaxed atmosphere but obviously the OP is looking for something a little more exclusive. I don't see how Dublin has any competition in Ireland in that regard.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Sorry but how do you draw that conclusion? Kilkenny has only 2 nightclubs, both of which are quite country as far as I recall, lots of seating, bar stools and bogger music.

OP is looking for dance clubs. Kilkenny is better than the bigger cities if you're looking for a more relaxed atmosphere but obviously the OP is looking for something a little more exclusive. I don't see how Dublin has any competition in Ireland in that regard.

Just for clarity, that includes Cork?

And yes, dance clubs, electronic music, fullvenues, short skirts, energetic chicks, diversity etc

Dublin hands down, Cork doesn't feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,510 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

jiltloop wrote: »
    Early 00s were definitely the golden time for me anyway. It could be just down to the age I was then (20 - 21) but there were some great little sweaty clubs around Dublin at the time banging out some good hard techno and there was always an after party or warehouse/beach rave.

Its without question the golden time for nightlife in Dublin ,
    When the crash it it decimated the scene its never been the same since, So much variety and so many great spots and the punter was even different back them ,

Even Ibiza isn't the same as it was back then

Just for clarity, that includes Cork?

And yes, dance clubs, electronic music, fullvenues, short skirts, energetic chicks, diversity etc

Dublin hands down, Cork doesn't feature?

1)Yes there is no competition in rest of Ireland. It's a handsdown win for Dublin if that's what you're looking for.

2)There is no way you are for real. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

I used to prefer the Cork however nightclub wise it's gone way down hill and pub wise it used to have a lot more variety but over the last 20 years many have copied the same format leaving a sameness feel to many which is what I would have complained about Dublin pubs. The better pubs seem to ring the city centre too so you kind of need to know where you're going. Gigs wise Dublin has always been miles better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dublin has no real competition for anything and i say that as someone who likes cork a lot

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,727 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

namloc1980 wrote: »
    "not to be poof". Imagine being at the point of creating a thread and creating a narrative about nightlife in Irish cities just to show your intolerance. Find better things to do OP.

Post from the 1990s? Haven't heard that term in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Not sure the OP even understands that without "Poof's" and people of other races, nationalities and cultures we probably wouldn't have house and techno music...

*Shrugs*

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Get out the Time Machine

1990s?? More 1960s 1970s Carry on films, Dick Emery, or The Comedians as in " Paddy went into this pub, there was a Paki and a poof sitting at the bar"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Much younger population back in early 00 as well

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    dublin has no real competition for anything and i say that as someone who likes cork a lot

Well you can't beat the west coast for rural scenery. Country folks in Ireland also go on about how much friendlier / non pretentious they are in country pubs. But I think this is nonsense, in small towns you're a lot more likely to be eye-balled and then ignored after being deemed to be a 'blow-in', they only get friendly (or agro depending on what stage they are in their manic depressive cycle) when they get to the stage of alcohol poisoning of being unable to fully open their eyelids. I get a lot more chat to strangers in Dublin than I would anywhere else, especially if you go a little bit outside the City Centre to say Rathmines/Ranelagh, Stoneybatter/Phibsboro etc. also the chat is generally coherent and good banter, not drunken babble without any consonants.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Not sure the OP even understands that without "Poof's" and people of other races, nationalities and cultures we probably wouldn't have house and techno music...

*Shrugs*

odds of OP being a real person are basically 0

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Balmed Out wrote: »
    I used to prefer the Cork however nightclub wise it's gone way down hill and pub wise it used to have a lot more variety but over the last 20 years many have copied the same format leaving a sameness feel to many which is what I would have complained about Dublin pubs. The better pubs seem to ring the city centre too so you kind of need to know where you're going. Gigs wise Dublin has always been miles better.

Id agree with you here. Most popular pubs and clubs in cork are owned by the same few people. They then all fall into the same format and realistically you could be in any of them and they feel the same. Same music and almost the same set week in week out. You do get gigs popping up but not frequent as dublin. Plenty of good pubs but off the beaten track for people just visiting for a weekend.

Cork sounds like another overly Irish culturalized city/town?

See, I see a long line of college gals queuing for a nightclub with basically 95 to 99% of their legs on display and it's.....

d39rnd3.jpg

The degree and frequency to which Cork offers this in contrast to Dublin is the ultimate issue I'm trying to address here.

Now it's a college town so I'm sure there's some, but by the sounds of things it pales in contast to the big smoke.

You sound like a wind-up merchant that is unfamiliar with western civilization.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Well you can't beat the west coast for rural scenery. Country folks in Ireland also go on about how much friendlier / non pretentious they are in country pubs. But I think this is nonsense, in small towns you're a lot more likely to be eye-balled and then ignored after being deemed to be a 'blow-in', they only get friendly (or agro depending on what stage they are in their manic depressive cycle) when they get to the stage of alcohol poisoning of being unable to fully open their eyelids. I get a lot more chat to strangers in Dublin than I would anywhere else, especially if you go a little bit outside the City Centre to say Rathmines/Ranelagh, Stoneybatter/Phibsboro etc. also the chat is generally coherent and good banter, not drunken babble without any consonants.

they are friendly while they collect the facts on you , after that you become invisible in a few months

Advertisement