Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help for international students TCD

• 01-07-2020 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all
    My name is Paul and I am an international applicant to Trinity College Dublin. Today my student accommodation application has unfortunately been rejected meaning I have to look for accommodation on my own which is very bad news. The prices are extremely high (I'm looking mostly for a single room as I don't know anyone I could live with in a shared one), however, if it gets bad enough I will have to apply for a shared room with someone random. I would like to ask you for some advice/answers on the following questions.

1. (and foremost) Is there any Irish forum strictly for students? (have been looking for a while and still found nothing)

2. Is it at all possible to still find a room around the second half of August? (1st round offers will be sent on the 16th leaving me with not much time to get ready to move and find a place)

3. What is the estimated cost of living in Dublin as a student (rent included) from your own experience - it's extremely important for me and all the answers I've found online seem to come from literally one source?

4. Where would you advise me to look for affordable student accommodation?

5. What are the costs of sharing a house/apartment with a couple friends and is it a common practice amongst students? It's important for me as I'm looking forward to meeting people during my first year and then renting a place to stay together - I know it's very common in the UK, Holland and other countries in Europe but would like to know the situation in Ireland and Dublin specifically

6. Is there something I should be particularly wary of when looking for accommodation?

I'm sorry the post is chaotic and if it is out of topic please inform me if I've posted in the wrong forum. I really would love to study in Ireland and eventually move here however I am limited by the financial side of things and am afraid this constriction will eventually make it impossible for me to study in Dublin.

Thank you for any piece of advice
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 twiz

Hi,

I won't attempt to answer your specific questions as I'm not best placed to do that. But here's some general advice:
    Private student accommodation is a good option if coming from abroad as everything is sorted out for you and you'll be able to meet others easily - if it is at all within your budget I'd recommend looking into this. One of the main companies is Uninest, so you might want to have a look at their website.
    Second, look outside the city into the suburbs - not a lot of people actually live in the city centre and prices will probably be a bit cheaper further out while still being a bike/bus/train/tram ride away.

Hope this helps in some way!

Advertisement