Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading licence from auto

• 26-06-2020 10:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've been put in a bit of a bind due to the test delays and it looks like I need to take my test on my parents' car (an automatic) instead of the manual I intended on using. I want to get on the road asap and can already drive a manual competently, if I get the automatic-only license is it as simple as just registering for a new test in a few months' time to get the manual license? Just wondering if I'd have to get a new permit for the manual or jump through any other hoops. Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Would it not be much easier borrow/rent your instructor's car? Even get a friend to put you on their insurance for a couple of weeks, use their car, pass the manual test and then you're sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Not to sure on the technicalities but I would definitely try all avenues to do the test on the manual. Having to pass one test is bad enough but to having to do another one and pay for another one in a few months would the least favourable option . as suggested try get another family member to insure you or better again some driving schools do let you use their car .. a friend of the family taught me to drive but I used a local driving instructors car for test .. I got one lesson in the driving school car before test to get the feel of it ..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Yes, you'll require a learner permit if driving a manual, and have to be accompanied by someone with an unrestricted licence.

As others have said, better to do the test in a manual.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

You'll need to go through the whole testing process again, so if you intend to drive a manual, no point in doing it in an automatic

Mr.S wrote: »
    Slightly related question, can someone with an automatic licence drive a car that is dual automatic / manual, or does it need to be fully automatic? Can't seem to find information online.

Auto is auto.
    My missus sat the test in a auto and never had the restriction on her licence.
    Doesn't matter because she still cant drive a manual !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Yeah, I'm thinking if it doesn't have a clutch, it's classed as an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Get the manual one for once. Otherwise you may have to wait until you appear for manual drive test.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Auto is auto.
    My missus sat the test in a auto and never had the restriction on her licence.
    Doesn't matter because she still cant drive a manual !

Some car models have both Manual and auto, the manual gears can be engaged moving the stick horizontally either side. And auto licenced drivers are authorized to drive these. The car just seamlessly shifts between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

..My missus sat the test in a auto and never had the restriction on her licence...
    Are you sure? It doesn't actually say it on the licence as such. It will look the same as an unrestricted licence but will have the code '78' printed on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Some car models have both Manual and auto, the manual gears can be engaged moving the stick horizontally either side. And auto licenced drivers are authorized to drive these. The car just seamlessly shifts between them.

I don't think a "+" and a "-" gear selector is considered a manual. You are just prompting the automatic gearbox. Calling it manual is a bit of a misnomer. Unless there's something else you are talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I don't think a "+" and a "-" gear selector is considered a manual. You are just prompting the automatic gearbox. Calling it manual is a bit of a misnomer. Unless there's something else you are talking about?

Yeah thats it, semi-auto transmissions (with option for full auto). I've tested a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭roisinbeag

Hi, a bit late with my reply but I would advise you to try get a manual car to do the test. I had a full automatic licence for about 16 years. I did originally learn to drive manual, but was using my mam's auto car at the time so just wanted to pass my test ASAP so my insurance would come down the following year. About 3 years ago, I bought my first manual car and had to get a manual learner permit. Technically I should have had L plates and had a full licenced person in the car with me, but I already been on the roads for 16 years and could drive manual so didn't bother with them. Now, if I had to claim off my insurance then I assume they could have used my licence restriction as a loophole, and technically if a Garda stopped me then I was in the wrong - but I can't imagine I would have got in trouble unless I had done something really stupid. Anyway, did a couple of pretests and passed my test within 6 weeks of buying the manual car.
    When I rang the NDLS initially to enquire about switching to manual, a person tried to tell me that as I was applying for a new licence therefore I would have to do the EDT lessons, even though I had already been driving 16 years - I didn't accept this and got it escalated, and then received confirmation that it would not be compulsory for me to do EDT, so they removed that criteria from my licence profile so that I could book my manual test. When I passed the manual test, they simply removed the 78 restriction from my licence - so my full licence keeps it's original start date.
    Sorry for the long reply, but just wanted to give my experience.
    Defo get a loan of a manual car!

Advertisement