Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving lessons make a welcome return!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Great news but it will be interesting what restrictions are brought in by RSA.

Will it just be motorbikes and buses/trucks to start with?

Will lessons or tests have to be shorter?

Will everyone in the car have to wear full PPE?

Will cars have to be sanitised between tests and lessons?

Will there be longer time slots to enable cleaning of cars and the driving test venues?

Still a lot to be ironed out.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

caldew wrote: »
    Great news but it will be interesting what restrictions are brought in by RSA.

Will it just be motorbikes and buses/trucks to start with?

Will lessons or tests have to be shorter?

Will everyone in the car have to wear full PPE?

Will cars have to be sanitised between tests and lessons?

Will there be longer time slots to enable cleaning of cars and the driving test venues?

Still a lot to be ironed out.

I’m fairly sure bikes and trucks will be started early July, cars not until after 20th July. That’s not confirmed.

Doesn’t seem to be a time restriction on lessons and tests won’t be reduced. PPE (masks) will be worn on test by both parties. Only test candidates in the test centre. Cars will have to be cleaned before test and well as hands etc. Weather permitting they’ll do as much as possible out of the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭andrewbrowne

Ok so any first timers who have gone through the driving lesson process would love their input/experiences and what i need to expect. Not thinking too far ahead and taking 1 step at a time.

Starting from scratch is an understatement, only behind a steering once and that was on a tractor in my younger days (35 now). Confident I can take to it but a bit of knowledge from someone with similarish experience will get those nerves off me while i get my papers ready for.

As i said one step at a time, basically a practical idea of even what the first lesson would be like given my predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Ok so any first timers who have gone through the driving lesson process would love their input/experiences and what i need to expect. Not thinking too far ahead and taking 1 step at a time.

Starting from scratch is an understatement, only behind a steering once and that was on a tractor in my younger days (35 now). Confident I can take to it but a bit of knowledge from someone with similarish experience will get those nerves off me while i get my papers ready for.

As i said one step at a time, basically a practical idea of even what the first lesson would be like given my predicament

My 1st lesson when i return will be very different than before covid .
    It will start with a Covid questionnare .
    Temperature Check
    Hands Sanitized and Mask.
    I will sanitize all areas of the car that you would touch
    Into the car
    Sanitize Learner Permit
    I will give you a log book.
    I will not handle the logbook after that point
    Explain Safety Checks and Car Controls and Cockpit Drill
    Go through Primary and Secondary Controls in Detail
    The windows will remain open throughout.
    You may depending on time get to move off and stop a few times and turn left
    Im afraid that might be it .
    More time taken up by Cleaning Protocols and Covid 19 measures
    You will see the time flies .
    Hope you get started soon

Cheers mate.

Yeah covid stuff aside (thanks for that btw) I'd always have been under the idea from listening to other novices that for first lesson the engine wouldn't even be running. So that more or less stacks up with what you're saying.

I know the guy that will be teaching me so if he feels I can push the boat out I'm sure he will act accordingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

Daughter is having her first driving lesson next week, got a bit of a surprise when she said it's costing her €50 an hour..... is this the going rate?
    Thanks

skibum wrote: »
    Daughter is having her first driving lesson next week, got a bit of a surprise when she said it's costing her €50 an hour..... is this the going rate?
    Thanks

Quite believable in some places. I was told to be looking at the 6/700 euro mark for lessons and passing test first time. That's 12 x 50 for lessons, and currently 85 or something for road exam. So the worst case figures aren't too far off the mark

There is deals though so you can shop around for better prices and "all in packages" which will bring the total down considerably.

Otherwise you could be easy fodder.

I know instructor i intend to train with so i will try a deal with him too. Makes things easier if you know someone in the business though

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭TK Lemon

Thanks

I was paying €115 for two hours, but I have seen places advertising €35ish an hour. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

My first lesson involved driving on the dual carriageway it was proper scary but I was alot more at ease in the car afterwards... previous experience was just in industrial estate...I don't think I have overstate how nervous I was about driving...with 3 lessons before lockdown, I have being driving for the weekly shop and driving herself to work(and cycling home afterwards)

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    My first lesson involved driving on the dual carriageway it was proper scary but I was alot more at ease in the car afterwards... previous experience was just in industrial estate...I don't think I have overstate how nervous I was about driving...with 3 lessons before lockdown, I have being driving for the weekly shop and driving herself to work(and cycling home afterwards)
    Yeah well like i said if a learner's instructor is confident in you for doing that fair enough, but like I said I'm starting totally from scratch. I assume you had some idea or bit of your own experience under your belt

• Advertisement

Yeah well like i said if a learner's instructor is confident in you for doing that fair enough, but like I said I'm starting totally from scratch. I assume you had some idea or bit of your own experience under your belt

I didn't think I was ready, I literally did maybe 2-3 hours around an industrial estate...he had the pedals on his own side too...but I know the instructor for years been to many football matches and drank many pints with him over the last 14 years too.

He told me if I had zero driving, it would be one lesson in an industrial estate...this instructor doesn't take people for mugs like some that's will drag on the lessons to get more money out of them

I didn't think I was ready, I literally did maybe 2-3 hours around an industrial estate...he had the pedals on his own side too...but I know the instructor for years been to many football matches and drank many pints with him over the last 14 years too.

He told me if I had zero driving, it would be one lesson in an industrial estate...this instructor doesn't take people for mugs like some that's will drag on the lessons to get more money out of them
    True yeah I know my instructor and like that too he's a bit old skool. Wont be any of this craic of going out to make a mint off me. I mightn't be as bad I'm making myself out to be but fuk dont want him to go to the other extreme either :-D

True yeah I know my instructor and like that too he's a bit old skool. Wont be any of this craic of going out to make a mint off me. I mightn't be as bad I'm making myself out to be but fuk dont want him to go to the other extreme either :-D

I genuinely thought I'd be dreadful, but the instructor was a calming affect...I first time I went out in the industrial estate I was shaking like a leaf

I genuinely thought I'd be dreadful, but the instructor was a calming affect...I first time I went out in the industrial estate I was shaking like a leaf
    lol sounds like me. my instructor has all the information, should be under no illusions and all that.

i haven't even discussed money with him yet so he knows where i stand.
    nah he wont rob but still, isn't the point. This sounds like the exact situation i could envisage having myself, but look 1 step at a time. Everyone's different

Thanks

Probably if the school name begins with an A and ends in a t

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Andrewbrowne, don't be worried about your instructor dragging you out onto main roads after 5 minutes. :pac: He will push you to go beyond your comfort zone, but won't make you do anything you say you are uncomfortable with.

I wouldn't fret too much about them trying to fleece you- if driving instructors were only in it for the money, they would probably be looking for another job before too long! There are a few bad apples in every profession, but the majority of them care about their pupils and are delighted to see them progress with every lesson. :)
    I block booked, and my lessons worked out at just under €30 per hour. This was only last year, and my instructor hasn't changed his prices, so it does seem the upper end of the price scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭SteveAdti

Thanks
    A general guide that you could use would be to get the Instructors ADI number.
    They started around 34400 i think .
    That was in 2011 and if you see a lower number you can assume that the instructor has been in the business for a long time . I think its up to 39000 now.
    Perhaps ask the Instructors ADI number and you will see

I think as with everything its too simple to say one person is €35 when they are only in the business a short while with little experience. In general if someone charges a higher price and are busy, that should say enough .
    This advice i would say is valid for Independent Instructors . In my experience big schools with shiny exteriors tend to have less experienced instructors.
    Then its just down to marketing for them to get work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Thanks

Hi,

Wonder what percentage of that €50 does the driving instructor get ?.

The franchiser must pay for the fancy livery, advertising and of course make a profit.

Good independent driving instructors obtain most of their pupils from referrals, therefore no franchise fees, little or no advertising so they get to keep all the fee.

My advice, ask around for recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭skibum

J_R wrote: »
    Hi,

Wonder what percentage of that €50 does the driving instructor get ?.

The franchiser must pay for the fancy livery, advertising and of course make a profit.

Good independent driving instructors obtain most of their pupils from referrals, therefore no franchise fees, little or no advertising so they get to keep all the fee.

My advice, ask around for recommendations.

He is an independent driving instructor.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lessons and tests officially starting in UK Jul 4th.

Nothing official here yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭marilynrr

Driving instructors in my area are unclear about whether they are actually allowed to go ahead or not and are awaiting clarification.

They seem to think that only learners who are key workers will be able to get lessons from the 29th..and that's only if they don't have an alternative mode of transport to get to their job!

Lessons and tests officially starting in UK Jul 4th.

Nothing official here yet.

Untrue. Lessons can recommence on 29th June. It’s in the Government’s Roadmap issued last Friday.

Any ADI going back to work must complete Risk Assessments and follow the Safe Return to Work Protocols

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Untrue. Lessons can recommence on 29th June. It’s in the Government’s Roadmap issued last Friday.

Any ADI going back to work must complete Risk Assessments and follow the Safe Return to Work Protocols

What I meant was nothing official from RSA yet. Instructors and driving centre employees apparently still in the dark about protocol and operation after the weekend

What I meant was nothing official from RSA yet. Instructors and driving centre employees apparently still in the dark about protocol and operation after the weekend

If ADIs are waiting for specific protocols from the RSA they’ll be waiting a very, very long time.

To quote part of their recent correspondence to us they said this:

“ 6. Can the RSA assist with any guidance on what PPE at a minimum is required when we recommence driver tuition?

As ADI’s are independent commercial entities, ultimate responsibility for safe resumption of driver tuition and education lies with each individual ADI and you should satisfy yourself that you have taken the necessary actions to ensure a safe resumption to work in line with the relevant public health guidance and the “Return to Work Safely Protocol” document. ”

It is up to each individual ADI to put in place measures which comply with the document mentioned above. I’ve spoken to a couple and they seem to think they’ll be handed a document telling them what to do. It’s not going to happen. The government have said driving schools can reopen. It’s up to us to open them in line with public heath advice, which is freely available.

The RSA didn’t inform us to close. They won’t tell us to open.

I have my protocol done, risk assessment completed and this weekend will be hosting a couple of zoom calls to go through it all with my pupils so that I can catch as many as possible at once and also save their lesson time when we do start.

Thanks for the info. I have talked to a large number of ADIs and they are sitting on their hands seemingly waiting for guidance instead...

What protocol changes are you intending to take once you restart?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Driving instructor rang me just now and said tests are starting Monday.

Thanks for the info. I have talked to a large number of ADIs and they are sitting on their hands seemingly waiting for guidance instead...

What protocol changes are you intending to take once you restart?

Tbh I’d rather not say on a public forum and do the jobs for others. I’ve worked hard to put my Risk Assessment in place and had it checked over by a senior healthcare professional.

They’ll be waiting.

Sorry, didnt mean offence. Just curious why most have not done it

Sorry, didnt mean offence. Just curious why most have not done it

No offence taken but I hope you understand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

Hi,

Statement from the Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross and the Road Safety Authority in relation to the gradual re-opening of the driving test service.
    The Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Shane Ross and the Road Safety Authority (RSA) have confirmed that the driver testing service will restart on a gradual basis during Phase 3 of the road map for easing of Covid19 restrictions.

Providing an update on when learner drivers can expect to sit car tests the Minister said, “Following the publication of a revised Phase 3 road map for reopening Ireland, it is now possible to restart the testing of car drivers earlier than anticipated. This will be welcome news for the many learner drivers who have been waiting to sit a car test since the service was suspended on 13 March. While a specific date has not yet been finalised for the restart of car tests, this is a high priority for my officials and the RSA who have assured me that they are working towards getting car tests up and running, as soon as possible in Phase 3.”

“However, things will be different when the driving test resumes. It will be gradual, and measures will be put in place to protect staff and customers. This will mean that for all categories being tested, at least for the initial resumption period, everyone will have to get used to the new protocols to prevent the spread of Covid19. I am asking candidates to please be patient as the service resumes.”

“Given the nature of the driving test, which in many cases involves a tester and candidate sitting near each other for periods well in excess of 15 minutes, the reopening of the service must be done in accordance with Government Protocols and public health safety measures. These measures, the details of which will be supplied to all candidates attending a driving test, will have to be observed at all test centres when the service resumes. On this point I want to thank employees and worker representative groups inside the RSA as well as Union representatives who have engaged in a very constructive manner to approve these protocols which will protect customers and staff.”

As the permits of some learner drivers will expire before they have had an opportunity to sit the practical driving test, Minister Ross has also announced that he is to further extend the period of validity of learner permits.

Minister Ross said: “On the 20 April I introduced a measure which allowed the validity of any learner permit, which was due to expire from 1 March to 30 June inclusive, to be extended for four months. The effect of that extension meant that their expiry now falls during the months from July to October. To provide an opportunity for at least some of those to take a test without having to renew their learner permit I have decided to apply the four-month extension to all learner permits now due to expire from 1 July to 31 October. This also means that any learner permit which hadn’t benefitted from the original extension, but whose expiry now falls in the normal way during the period 1 July to 31 October 2020, will also have an extension period of four months applied to it. As an example, a learner permit which expired on 5 March was extended by four months to 5 July 2020 and this will now be further extended to 5 November 2020.”

The resumption of driving tests will trigger the resumption of driving lessons. The revised Government road map for Phase 3 identifies Driving Schools as an economic activity and work that can resume from Monday 29 June.

The Minister concluded: “The measures being adopted, by the RSA to deliver the driving test, to mitigate the spread of Covid-19 should be of assistance to Approved Driving Instructors (ADIs). However, ADIs are independent contractors and have personal responsibility to follow Government and Health Authorities’ Protocols and it must also be borne in mind that a driving test and a driving lesson are not necessarily the same thing. Some driving lessons could last longer than the duration of a driving test and ADIs will need to take specific measures to manage Covid-19 in that context.  Lastly I would urge all those seeking lessons to contact their ADI and be satisfied with the arrangements they are making – and I wish all those who will be taking tests in the near future the very best of luck.”

Notes
    From Monday 29 June driving tests will resume gradually for trucks, buses and motorcycles (except for trucks in C1 and buses in D1 categories). 14 driving test centres will reopen initially, but as the number of tests and categories of vehicles being tested increases in the coming weeks, the remaining 38 test centres will reopen. The RSA will update its website, rsa.ie, to advise on each centre as they re-open.

Measures are being put in place to prioritise the allocation of appointments when the service resumes. These measures include;

Those whose test appointments were cancelled when the service was suspended will be offered a test date first in the coming weeks and will be contacted directly about scheduling their test.
    Priority will also be given to ‘Front-line health care workers’ who require an emergency driving test.
    Test appointments will then be offered to people in order of when their application was made.
    A detailed ‘Frequently Asked Questions’ (FAQ) document on the resumption of the driving test is available here.

The following test centres will reopen for truck, bus and motorcycle tests week commencing 29 June.- Dublin (Dun Laoghaire, Finglas, Mulhuddart), Dundalk, Ennis, Galway (Carnmore), Kilkenny, Kerry ( Tralee, Killarney ), Limerick (Dock Road), Sligo, Cork (Ballincollig, Mallow), Waterford. In the following weeks all the 52 test centres will open for business.

The national average waiting time for a driving test, before the suspension of the driving test service on 13 March, was around 5/6 weeks. The RSA has committed to maintaining a national average waiting time of 10 weeks.

Protocols that will be introduced in the driving test to prevent the spread of Covid19 include;

Before appointments are offered candidates will be provided with information concerning COVID-19.
    Where a person is displaying symptoms of COVID-19 they should not attend for test and on advising us their appointment will be cancelled and a further appointment will be offered in due course free of charge.
    Customers are asked to make an extra effort to ensure that their vehicle is clean and free from any personal belongings. Having a safe and clean vehicle for the test is important for both customers and driver testers.
    In compliance with public health guidelines only customers for driving tests can enter the driving test centre. A candidate’s accompanying driver or approved driving instructor must make alternative arrangements while you take the test.
    Driver testers will wear a face mask and test customers will also be asked to wear face masks when attending for their appointment. The RSA will initially provide customers with a face mask and alternative arrangement will be put in place to accommodate those who cannot support the wearing of a mask.
    Hand sanitisers will be available in the test centre. Customers will be asked to use the hand sanitiser/use hand washing facilities on entry after being called for their test by the driver tester and also when fitting and removing their face mask.
    Driver testers will also be carrying wipes and hand sanitisers. Driver testers may wipe down some surfaces on a candidate’s vehicle.
    Customers may be asked to keep their windows partially open during the test and are asked to comply with any request to do so in the interest of measures to mitigate against the transmission of Covid-19.
    After each test the driver tester will ensure that all commonly touched surfaces such as door handles and desk surfaces are wiped down with appropriate wipes/cleaner in between tests and all wipes disposed

Advertisement