Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best kebab in dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Especially now, as you cant eat in, ive been getting kebabs wrapped and eating at home. And the one place that does not wrap well is p4f. The kebab is leaking within a minute and is a mess by the time i get to the bottom half. Never had that problem with zaytoon/iskander or chipper kebabs, but repeatedly a problem with p4f. Quality still good for the first few bites, its just a mulchy mess after 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I have to say, nowadays I lean towards Pasha on Dorset st as my current fave, it is not something I get nowadays much but whenever I have the want for a kebab I'll spin in there...

Haven't been in town properly in over a year anyway to know the more recent new places (if any!)

Honourable mention to Diamond Pizza in Drumcondra, they do half decent ones also... :)

Edit : For us Northside ninja's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

retalivity wrote: »
    Especially now, as you cant eat in, ive been getting kebabs wrapped and eating at home. And the one place that does not wrap well is p4f. The kebab is leaking within a minute and is a mess by the time i get to the bottom half. Never had that problem with zaytoon/iskander or chipper kebabs, but repeatedly a problem with p4f. Quality still good for the first few bites, its just a mulchy mess after 5 mins.

Agreed. There's a great spot called Istanbul Kebab on the left hand side as you walk from Hapenny Bridge to Henry St (not to be confused with Istanbul Kebab on the other side of the same street :pac:), must say it's an absolute pain in the hole trying to find a seat nearby outdoors where the wind isn't ripping you apart as you try eat the yoke (boardwalk is not at all suitable)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭vafankillar

i love the kebabs in istanbul in the epicurian

still can't believe we lost this place to ****in dealz

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Has the kebab scene changed since the pandemic?

Ordered P4P a few times and it does NOT travel well. Tasteless muck by the time it's on my plate. Fairly decent when eating it in the restaurant. I loved my 1 visit to Reyna too and I always enjoy my kebabs from Falafel.

I don't trust a word Dublin kebab club says. They seem to worship that Baxto bloke like a god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

Still haven't found better than falafel in temple bar

Rarely gets mentioned here which is bizarre, there mixed kebab is the food of gods

Still haven't found better than falafel in temple bar

Rarely gets mentioned here which is bizarre, there mixed kebab is the food of gods

Yeah I find it bizarre too. I seem to be one of very few who ever mentioned it here. It's definitely my go to spot. Cool decor too.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I popped into P4F last week, I haven't been there in a couple of years and was hungry and looking forward to it. But I was disappointed.
    The meat was ok, the salad a bit sad, the sauce quite insipid, the bread was grand but not as I remembered it and the whole lot had an over-riding taste of olives (I asked for no olives but it still tasted of olives. I like olives but not mixed in with other food).

But the most annoying thing was that I found it very difficult to physically eat. I had it in my car and found it near impossible to contain the wrap in any meaningful way, it had bits dropping out left right and centre until it just sort of fell apart.

The most recent place I've been getting my kebabs is The Grill House in Swords and find them excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

still can't believe we lost this place to ****in dealz

yeah I still miss the Epicurean, even though it had gone a bit downhill in the final years it was still decent. And its not like the city needed a 3rd Dealz within 500 metres. Its not all that busy either anytime Ive been in, at least compared to the one in the Ilac centre and the one on Henry Street which are normally always busy with long queues at the tills. It wouldnt suprise me if it is losing money with a unit that size, most times Ive been in you can walk straight up to the tills with little of no queue.

We are due to get two new food halls in the Fruit Market and the church on Andrews Lane but with the pandemic god knows how much theyve been delayed, the Fruit Market is probably several years away at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Chicken shawarma from Shouk Drumcondra

Also in the area is a good Greek place called yeeros. Not pure kebab but close enough.
    Cross guns, between phibsboro and drumcondra.
    Souvlaki

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Chipper kebabs are often a a bit meh and leave you thinking they should stcick to what they're good at, but must say, got a doner kebab wrap off the San Marino chipper discount lunch menu (before 4pm I think it is, Castleknock, but there' a few SM branches thoughout the city) and must say it was far nicer than some of the actual kebab shop ones.

Not as jam packed with meat as a kebab shop kebab, but great for 4.50 or 4.80 or whatever it was, might get myself two next time!

Chipper kebabs are often a a bit meh and leave you thinking they should stcick to what they're good at, but must say, got a doner kebab wrap off the San Marino chipper discount lunch menu (before 4pm I think it is, Castleknock, but there' a few SM branches thoughout the city) and must say it was far nicer than some of the actual kebab shop ones.

Not as jam packed with meat as a kebab shop kebab, but great for 4.50 or 4.80 or whatever it was, might get myself two next time!

That’s a fantastic chipper and I always like a kebab from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Has any tried Reyna on Dame Street? all the reviews seem great, but the problem is I don't think kebabs really travel well when getting them delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

Galadriel wrote: »
    Has any tried Reyna on Dame Street? all the reviews seem great, but the problem is I don't think kebabs really travel well when getting them delivered.

Had them delivered a few times. Bread always fresh with a good distribution of meat, veg and condiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is Reyna iskanders under a rebrand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Is Reyna iskanders under a rebrand

Yes, that's the one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I actually only passed them yesterday and was really tempted to try ther kebab for the first time but decided not to as eating a kebab in the street amongst the seagulls wouldnt be my idea of a good meal. As soon as we can sit down again I'll be straight there as like you said it gets good reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Is a falafel in the kebab family? Umi falafel are consistently excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

I was used to Zaytoon in Parliament Street and Camden street a good few years ago: nice kebabs but you had to keep asking for extra salad etc., so the problem was that they were small.

Moved over to Passion4Food in the past year, and they're hands-down the best (chicken shish).

Had a Zaytoon yesterday in Ranelagh (chicken shish): the worst crap I've ever had, and that includes AbraKebabra back in the '80s. Bread was awful, like an American pancake, sauces were awful, salad was awful: just a small bit of tomato, iceberg lettuce, red onion, and a small pickled chilli. Chicken was not good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

travels surprisingly well, always hot and fresh anytime (about 5) I have ordered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

There's a place on cork street called fayrouz (or something like that) which does a mean shish or kebab meal. Place doesn't look like much but the food is fab, ate in there once which was strange but with great food and have had delivery a few times which has been great

travels surprisingly well, always hot and fresh anytime (about 5) I have ordered

Good to know as I've given up ordering "real kebabs" as they don't travel well at all. I tried passion 4 food and Pasha. Absolute muck when they arrive at your door. Completely different story in the restaurants, they're top class when fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DaSchmo

Kebabs definitely don't travel well, probably the least worst way to go is to ask for everything packed separately (sauce, salad, meat, bread all separate) and assemble yourself on a plate at home. Seems to retain heat better this way and also avoids the soggy mess that a rolled up kebab ends up in after spending 25 minutes in the back of a car. Another option is a kebab tray, travels better than a kebab but the chips can get soggy too. This can also be solved by asking for all ingredients to be packaged separately. This approach vastly improves the P4F delivery experience anyway - which typically falls far short of eating in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,989 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Alkers wrote: »
    There's a place on cork street called fayrouz (or something like that) which does a mean shish or kebab meal. Place doesn't look like much but the food is fab, ate in there once which was strange but with great food and have had delivery a few times which has been great

This place is good, but it's lebanese and a bit different to the other places - I got the lamb before delivered, and there was a heap of it that you prepare at home yourself. It was good and different - lamb chunks instead of doner lamb, never dined in there but I guess it would be better as it appears you are served your own skewer and do it yourself at the table as well.

Could anyone recommend the best place to find a kebab in Belfast this weekend?

My stomach would greatly appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend the best place to find a kebab in Belfast this weekend?

My stomach would greatly appreciate it :)

not a Kebab but the Cuban Sandwich factory is back open in St Georges market , if you are in Belfast you have to try them , they are amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

Zaytoon. God I miss the old days of being happily drunk and then off to Zaytoon for a big kebab to soak it up. Magic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

not a Kebab but the Cuban Sandwich factory is back open in St Georges market , if you are in Belfast you have to try them , they are amazing.

second this

NewRed2 wrote: »
    Zaytoon. God I miss the old days of being happily drunk and then off to Zaytoon for a big kebab to soak it up. Magic. :)

Got turned off Zaytoon in Dublin over the past year or two years. Falafel just a few doors down is far superior. Especially Passion 4 Food being the generally accepted kebab king of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Got Reyna over the weekend, really delicious! We got a sharing platter and mezze platter, everything was gorgeous. Plenty of bread and various dips, meat was really good quality.

Advertisement