Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Notes etc. - Do not post copyright material

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Kyromancer

Leite Dhonncha Pheig - An Seabhac.

Bhí Donncha pósta le Neil. Bhí cúigear sa chlann - Donncha, Neil, Máirín, Peats, agus Neil Óg. Bhí Neil slachmhar, néata. Rinne sí obair an tí go néata. Ach mo bhrón, bhí sí dearmadach. Gach tráthnóna, rinne sí dearmad salann a chuir sa leite.

Bhí clampar sa teach gach tráthnóna, mar chaith Donncha an leite amach. Bhíodh eagla ar Neil bhocht.

Mar réiteach ar an scéal, d'éirigh siad as an leite. Tráthnóna amhain, bheartaigh Neil an leite a dhéanamh arís agus smaoinigh sí ar an salann. Bhí sí lán sásta. Chuaigh sí amach go dtí cró na mbó.

Tháinig Donncha isteach. Chonaic sé an leite is chuir sé mám salann ann. Amach leis. Ansin tháining Máirín isteach, agus rinne sí amhlaidh. Tháinig Geanc isteach ansin is chuir sé mám salann sa leite. Ar deireadh, tháining Neil Óg isteach is rinne sí an rud ceanna.

Ansin tháinig an clann go léir isteach. Bhí Neil lán sásta. Chuir Donncha spúnóg leite ina bhéal is ansin lig sé béic uafásach as mar bhí an iomarcha salann sa leite.

Bhí Neil bocht croí briste. Anois ólann siad tae gach tráthnóna.

So, how's that? My Irish isn't great, so there could be spelling mistakes and the like.

I also just found out how hard and tedious it is to type in Irish. I was going to post up a few more answers, but I'll just do one short poem for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

Could anyone give me an answer on how the french revoluion influenced people in Ireland, I was looking through my history books and couldn't really find an answer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Ooh I did that question only a few weeks ago.. Dont think I have my history copy with me but tomorrow I'll copy out what I have on it :)

Ermm I feel bad for not typing up notes about anything.... Any other geo/history think peeps want notes on(hist/geo i have decent notes on, wouldnt give yee the others.. :L)
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Anro wrote: »
    Could anyone give me an answer on how the french revoluion influenced people in Ireland, I was looking through my history books and couldn't really find an answer.

Basicly it encouraged people like wolfe tone to demand reform and eventualy rebel to try to gain control of Ireland.

decisions wrote: »
    Basicly it encouraged people like wolfe tone to demand reform and eventualy rebel to try to gain control of Ireland.
    thank you!

• Advertisement

Ermm I have it in kinda bullet points here.
    The Irish had noticed the similarity between themselves and the 3rd estate in France. Both wanted to over throw their leaders.

The French inspired the Irish to rebel, and one of the people who was inspired was Wolfe Tone.

He set up the United Irishmen on the 3nd anniversary of Bastille Day

France and Ireland both had a mutual enemy, Britain, so they agreed to helping the Irish. France also had pity on Ireland

Robspierre encouraged the United Irishmen and Robert Emmet to use physical force but people like Daniel O Connell were inspired by the constitutional way of rebelling.
    Thats really all there is, you just have to try and pad it out a little...

deise_girl wrote: »
    Ermm I have it in kinda bullet points here.
    The Irish had noticed the similarity between themselves and the 3rd estate in France. Both wanted to over throw their leaders.

The French inspired the Irish to rebel, and one of the people who was inspired was Wolfe Tone.

He set up the United Irishmen on the 3nd anniversary of Bastille Day

France and Ireland both had a mutual enemy, Britain, so they agreed to helping the Irish. France also had pity on Ireland

Robspierre encouraged the United Irishmen and Robert Emmet to use physical force but people like Daniel O Connell were inspired by the constitutional way of rebelling.
    Thats really all there is, you just have to try and pad it out a little...

Thank You!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭schoolboy082

anybody got any notes on da vinci?

Anon that was meant to be the 2nd Anniversary of Bastille Day!

Leonardo Da Vinci
    He was born in Florence, in 1452, there he trained as an artist apprentice

His first attempt at painting was the angel he drew on Verrochico's "Baptism of Christ", apparently his angel was so good Verrochio, never painted again.

His other paintings include, "The Virgin on the Rocks", "The Last Supper" and his famous "Mona Lisa". The "Mona Lisa" has intrigued art lovers all around the world, people are unsure as to whether this merchants wife has a smirk or slight frown on her face, and her eyes appear to follow you regardless of your position in the room. This painting shows remarkable use of sfumato, here Da Vinci blends his subjects hair into her clothing giving her the typical renaissance trait of humanism. This painting can be seen in La Louvre Museum in Paris, it attracts thousands of visitors every year.

Leonardo rarely finished his paintings- he was always anxious to get on with some new project.

Many of his pictures deteriorated very quickly. This was because if his experiments with different varnishes, paints and plasters.

Da Vinci wrote many notebooks about anatomy, submarines, tanks and a helicopter. (research carried on his notes shows that his helicopter would have actually flown)

He died 1519 in France

Hmmm Just looking at that now, dont really like the notes tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

deise_girl wrote: »
    Anon that was meant to be the 2nd Anniversary of Bastille Day!

Leonardo Da Vinci
    He was born in Florence, in 1452, there he trained as an artist apprentice

His first attempt at painting was the angel he drew on Verrochico's "Baptism of Christ", apparently his angel was so good Verrochio, never painted again.

His other paintings include, "The Virgin on the Rocks", "The Last Supper" and his famous "Mona Lisa". The "Mona Lisa" has intrigued art lovers all around the world, people are unsure as to whether this merchants wife has a smirk or slight frown on her face, and her eyes appear to follow you regardless of your position in the room. This painting shows remarkable use of sfumato, here Da Vinci blends his subjects hair into her clothing giving her the typical renaissance trait of humanism. This painting can be seen in La Louvre Museum in Paris, it attracts thousands of visitors every year.

Leonardo rarely finished his paintings- he was always anxious to get on with some new project.

Many of his pictures deteriorated very quickly. This was because if his experiments with different varnishes, paints and plasters.

Da Vinci wrote many notebooks about anatomy, submarines, tanks and a helicopter. (research carried on his notes shows that his helicopter would have actually flown)

He died 1519 in France

Hmmm Just looking at that now, dont really like the notes tbh :/

Good essay! :cool:, my teacher named out a few marking schemes and like each painting he did counts as a SRS (significant relevant statement) :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 JC Man

Could anyone give an essay/ points for an essay on de Valera please.

If anyone wants notes on anything ask and I'll try to help.

Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

JC Man wrote: »
    Could anyone give an essay/ points for an essay on de Valera please.

If anyone wants notes on anything ask and I'll try to help.

Thanks in advance.

I'll type one up for you later. :)

Éamon De Valera was an American-born Irishman who fought for Irish independence throughout the early 20th century. When the Anglo-Irish Treaty was formed between Ireland and Britain, De Valera was unhappy with the terms and opposed it. This led to the Irish Civil War, 1922-1923 between the pro-treaty and anti-treaty sides. De Valera and his followers lost the war and stayed out of Irish parliament affairs until 1926. He broke his links with the IRA and set up a new part called Fianna Fáil. De Valera and the Fianna Fáil TD's took the oath to the King of England, as set out in the Anglo-Irish Treaty and entered the Dáil. Fianna Fáil came up with new economic policies and promised to dismantle the treaty with Britain. As a result of this, they won the 1932 general election and De Valera became the head of government. He and Fianna Fáil remained in office until 1948.

Fianna Fáil quickly abolished the oath to the King and also imposed tariffs (taxes) on imports, most of which came from Britain. This angered the British who retaliated by putting taxes on Irish cattle going to Britain, this led to the "economic war" between the two countries until 1938. De Valera always opposed the treaty with Britain and once in power he began to dismantle it. First he removed the oath and downgraded the Governor General. In 1936 he removed the King as the head of state. De Valera wanted an Irish-made constitution, so in 1937 he brought in "Bunracht na hÉireann". In it the country was called "Ireland" or "Eire", Irish was it's official language, the head of state was the President and head of government was the Taoiseach. The constitution could only be changed by a vote of all people. In 1937 the people voted for the constitution in the first referendum in Irish history.

By 1938 - De Valera wanted peace with Britain. The Treaty was dead and Hitler threatened war. After talks, the Anglo-Irish Agreements were signed in 1938. This ended the economic war and trade returned as normal. When the Second World War began in September 1939, De Valera announced the country would be neutral. De Valera appointed Sean Lemass as Minister for Supplies to deal with rationing, this included gas and electricity. Due to this, many industries closed, unemployment was high and people went to Britain for work. De Valera passed the Offences Against the State Act when the IRA threatened Ireland's neutrality. This allowed him to prison them without trial. During the war, De Valera followed a pro-British policy where he passed on information the the British and allowed the Irish to join the British forces.

World War II ended in 1945 but shortages of food and fuel continued. People blamed De Valera and Fianna Fáil who had been in power for 16 years. In the 1948 general election Fianna Fáil lost support and instead Ireland's first Inter-Party government was elected. The 1950's were unstable and the government changed several times. In Fianna Fáil, De Valera, who was 70 years old, retired as Taoiseach and Séan Lemass took over. De Valera was then elected as President of Ireland.

I think I'm just going to post here all night, it's good revision and it also helps others. :)

DKZ wrote: »
    I think I'm just going to post here all night, it's good revision and it also helps others. :)

good man/woman :D sorry i don't know :eek: :p

Before the industrial revolution, Irish people made cloth in their own homes: woolen cloth was mainly produced in the Southern half of the country while linen cloth was mainly produced in the Northern half of the country. When industrialisation began, factories making cotton were set up on rivers mainly in the Dublin area. But when steam power became common, Ireland had a problem as there was very little coal here. Using cheap coal, British firms could produce woolen and cotton cloth more cheaply than Irish firms which closed down. The linen industry survived because not much linen was produced in Britain. Wealthy men set up linen factories in the Belfast area. Soon all linen manufacturing was located there. By 1850, Belfast was becoming an industrial city like Manchester, while other Irish cities had very little industry.

The population of Ireland doubled between 1780 and 1840 from 4 million to 8 million. But without factories most of the extra people had to make a living from farming. Wealthy landlords owned all the land in Ireland: they lived in big
    houses with many servants to work for them and they divided their land into farms which they rented to farmers. Farmers paid rent to landlords for their farms. Some farmers had big crops and were well off, they grew crops like wheat and barley and kept cattle. They lived in comfortable houses and sent their children to school. They employed labourers (called cottiers) to work for them. They paid the cottiers by giving them small plots of land where they built cottages and grew potatoes. Other farmers made jobs for their children by subdividing their farms among them. This produced many tiny farms.

By 1840 about 3 million Irish people were either cottiers or farmers with tiny farms of less than 5 acres. They were very poor. Families lived in one-roomed cabins with mud walls and a thatched roof. Often they shared the cabin with chickens and pigs which they sold to help them pay the rent. Sometimes the men in the family went to Britain to work for rich farmers there and earn money for the rent. Potatoes were their main food. On one acre of land they could grow enough potatoes to feed a family for a year. Sometimes they also had milk or a piece of bacon or fish.

In 1845 the blight destroyed some potatoes. In 1846 it wiped out the whole crop. Over 3 million people were left without their main food. Many went to the workhouses which were set up to give shelter to the poor in ordinary times but not in a famine. Workhouses were soon packed with desperate people. Disease spread rapidly in them and many died. Other starving people flooded into towns and villages to beg for help. Private charities run by landlords, priests and others set up "soup kitchens" where people were fed each day. People from around the world sent money to help them.

The British government refused to give out free food. They set up public works (building roads, etc.) where people could earn money to buy food. This policy failed, without potatoes the price of other food went up and people were too weak to earn enough to pay for it. In 1847, after many had died, the British let the workhouses set up soup kitchens and give out free food.

Ireland was greatly changed by the famine. The population fell from 8.1 million in 1841 to 6.5 million in 1851. About 1 million people died of starvation. Another million emigrated to Britain, Canada or the USA. Most of those who died or left were cottiers and small farmers. Their land went to bigger farmers. Farmers no longer subdivided their land. After the famine emigration continued and the population went on falling for the rest of the 19th century. Many emigrants went to Britain where they got work in the new factories. Many endured the long sea voyage to the US where they formed large Irish communities. They often sent money to help Irish people who were fighting against British rule. Parents wanted children to know English when they left the country, so they encouraged children to forget Irish. Irish people blamed the British government for the famine and the demand for Irish independence grew.

kevin12345 wrote: »
    good man/woman :D sorry i don't know :eek: :p

Man. :D

DKZ wrote: »
    Man. :D

Ok :pac:

If anyone has Irish notes on "An Corp" I would greatly appreciate it. I lost mine. :pac:

Weather is the result of changes in temperature, rainfall, wind, atmospheric pressure, humidity and sunshine at a particular place at a particular time.

The sun provides heat for planet earth. However, the sun's heat is not evenly spread over the earth's surface due to latitude and the spherical shape of the earth. Latitude refers to angular distance north or south of the equator. The further a place is from the equator, the colder it is. At the equator, the rays from the sun shine almost directly onto the earth. The sun's rays have a shorter distance to travel and so produce great heat. Further away from the equator, the sun's rays have a greater distance to travel. These rays are not as strong as those at the equator and so do not contain as much heat. As a result the North and South Poles are much colder than the equator.

The atmosphere surrounding the planet is made up of a number of gases. These gases include nitrogen, oxygen, water vapour and carbon dioxide. These gases do not float away into space. In fact they are pulled towards the earth's surface due to gravity. The air, therefore, has weight. This weight acting upon the earth is called pressure. Pressure is measured in millibars. There are two types of pressure - low pressure and high pressure. Air that is heated expands and rises into the atmosphere resulting in low pressure. Air that is cooled becomes heavier and falls forming an area of high pressure. Winds always blow from areas of high pressure to low pressure. There are seven zones of pressure of the earth, three zones of low pressure and four zones of high pressure. Pressure is low at the equator due to the great heat from the sun's rays. The warm air rises and drifts towards 30'N and 30'S. At this latitude the air is colder and high pressure exists. This air then drifts back towards the equator because wind blows from high pressure to low pressure. At the North and South Poles the air is colder due to their distance from the equator. The North and South Poles are areas of high pressure. Winds blow from these high pressure areas to the areas of low pressure at 60'N and 60'S.

Winds blow from high pressure to low pressure. This movement from high pressure to low pressure is responsible for the earth's six major wind systems, three of which occur in the northern hemisphere and three in the southern hemisphere. There three winds of the nothern hemisphere are: the north-east polar winds, the south westerlies and the north-east trade winds. The three winds of the southern hemisphere are: the south-east polar winds, the north westerlies and the south-east trade winds. Winds in the northern hemisphere are deflected to the right, while winds in the southern hemisphere are deflected to the left. The winds are named due to the direction from which they blow. The prevailing wind is the name given to the most frequent wind that blows in an area. In Ireland the prevailing wind comes from the south-west.

Ocean currents occur due to the unequal heating of the sea. They are movements of water from hot area to cold areas. At the equator seas are very warm while at the poles seas are very cold. Ocean currents from the equator bring warm water while ocean currents from the poles bring cold water. Due to the earth's rotation from west to east currents in the northern hemisphere are deflected to the right while currents in the southern hemisphere are deflected to the left. The North Atlantic Drift and the Labrador Current are two examples of ocean currents. The North Atlantic Drift influences Ireland. It is a warm current which passes the west coast of Ireland. It ensures that Irish ports are kept ice-free during winter. The Labrador Current is a cold current which affects Greenland and Canada. This cold current causes temperatures to drop causing harbours and ports to freeze during the winter.

All moisture falling from the atmosphere, rain, snow, hail and sleet is referred to as precipitation. In Ireland the most common form on precipitation is rainfall. There are three types of rainfall. Relief rain occurs when moisture-laden air coming in from the sea is forced to rise over mountains. When this air rises it cools and condensation takes place. Rain then falls on the windward side of the mountain. The leeward of sheltered side of the mountain recieves little or no rain. It is a rain shadow area. Relief rain occurs along the west coast of Ireland. Convectional rainfall occurs in equatorial climates and on hot sunny days in Ireland. The sun's rays heat the ground. The warmed air rises. As it rises it cools and condensation occurs. Clouds are formed and rain falls. Cyclonic or frontal rainfall occurs when warm air meets cold air. When this happens the warm air is forced to rise. As it rise it cools and condensation occurs, resulting in the formation of clouds. Heavy showers can follow. Cyclonic rainfall is very common in Ireland.

Ascending or rising air and descending or falling air create different weather patterns. When air is warmed it rises, creating low pressure. As it rises it cools and condensation occurs forming clouds which bring rain. Depressions or cyclones are associated with low-pressure areas. Depressions bring strong winds, heavy rainfall and cloudy days. Cold air falls forming high pressure. As the cold air falls it gets warmer. There is no condensation and clouds do not form. Consequently rainfall is unlikely to occur. These areas of high pressure are called anti-cyclones. During the summer they bring clear blue skies and sunny weather. In the winter anti-cyclones bring fine days but cold dry nights.

• Advertisement

Photosynthesis is the way in which green plants make food. The equation for photosynthesis is: carbon dioxide & water & chlorophyll & light -> glucose & oxygen.

Factors required:
    Carbon dioxide - enters leaves through the stomata
    Water - Enters roots from soil and passes to leaves in xylem
    Light - Sunlight in energy
    Chlorophyll - A green pigment made by plants

Products:
    Glucose - Supplies energy in respiration, converted to starch for storage, used to make cellulose for cell walls.
    Oxygen - Used by leaves in respiration, passes out of the stomata and into the air.

To test leaves for starch:
    - Boil some leaves in water (to kill and soften them)
    - Place the leaves in hot alcahol to remove chlorophyll.
    - Boil the leaves in water again to wash off any alcahol and prevent the leaves from hardening.
    - Test the leaves by adding iodine. If the leaves remain a red-yellow colour, starch is not present. If the leaves turn a blue-black colour, starch is present.

To show that starch is made by a plant in photosynthesis:
    - Put a pot plant in the dark for about 48 hours (to remove starch from the leaves)
    - Cover some of the leaves with aluminium foil (to block out light and prevent photosynthesis)
    - Leave the plant in strong light to allow photosynthesis to take place.
    - Test both of the covered and uncovered leaves for starch as outlined in the previous experiments.
    - The covered leaves remain red-yellow (showing that no starch is present)
    - The uncovered leaves turn blue-black (showing that starch is present)

A tropism is the change in growth of a plant in response to an outside stimulus. Phototropism is the way a plant changes its growth in response to light. The shoots (aerial parts) of a plant grow towards light, which allows them to make more food.

Geotropism is the way in which a plant changes its growth in response to gravity. The shoots grow away from gravity (they grow straight up and get more light). The roots grow towards gravity (to get more anchorage and to absorb water and minerals from the soil.)

There are three types of settlement. Nucleated or clustered settlements are settlements where the buildings are grouped together. Linear settlements are settlements which occur in a line, e.g. along a road. Dispersed settlement occurs when settlement is found all over an area. There is no definite pattern.

Factors that influence distribution of nucleated settlement in Ireland can be physical or social. Physical factors include altitude, drainage patterns and land quality. Social factors include the influence of history and primacy of Dublin. Most Irish towns are found in low-lying areas. Settlement avoids mountainous areas. The land is too steep and exposed. Transportation is always a problem in upland areas. Settlement tends to locate in low-lying river valleys. The river was used as a mode of transport and as a source of water for industrial and domestic use. Rivers also provided alluvium - a very fertile soil for agriculture. Rivers also acted as bridging or crossing points. At the crossing points trade developed. Dublin grew up as a crossing point on the Liffey. Low-lying fertile land always attracts settlement. The land is most fertile on the easy coast. On the west coast the land is of poor quality. Rainfall is also greater. Consequently, towns on the east side act as market towns for their hinterland. Due to poor land on the west many settlers settled along the coast establishing fishing communities.

The Vikings arrived in 840AD and settled at river mouths along the east and south coasts, e.g. Dublin, Wexford & Waterford. During the monastic period monasteries were established, often in very remote places, for example Glendalough. The monasteries attracted settlement and towns developed. The Normans introduced castles to Ireland. Castles were built for defensive purposes. Settlement was attracted to the castle and towns developed as a result, e.g. Kilkenny & Athlone. The Plantations of the 16th & 17th centuries introduced planned towns into Ireland. Portlaoise was developed during the Laois/Offaly Plantation. Youghal was established during the Munster Plantation. The towns of Donegal and Monaghan were established during the Ulster Plantation. Individual landlords often built towns on their estates. Adare in Co. Limerick was built by a landlord to add to the appearance of his estate. During the 20th century many Irish towns and especially Dublin developed rapidly. Dublin has grown so fast that it is referred to as a primate city. A primate city is a city that is at least twice as big as the country's next largest city. Dublin has developed into a primate city because it is the seat of government, it's location on the east coast is ideal for trading with Britain & the EU, it is the focus of major routeways and it countains the headquarters of Ireland's major financial institutions. Satellite towns such as Tallaght and Maynooth have developed around Dublin to ease the pressure on the capital city. Dublin acts as a magnet for economic growth. As a result many rapidly growing settlements, e.g. Tallaght have developed in a clustered pattern around Dublin. Dublin has become a focus of routeways. Towns on the main routeways, often called growth corridors, have developed due to their accessibility to Dublin city. These towns form a linear pattern of settlement along these routes or corridors.

Nucleated settlements provide the following functions: smaller nucleated settlements act as villages providing a limited range of services to their hinterland. A hinterland is the area served by the settlement. It provides services such as a national school, a petrol station and a church. Larger settlements act as market towns providing a wider range of services to their hinterland. These services include banks, supermarkets and secondary schools. Some of the earliest settlements developed as defensive towns. These towns often contain a castle. Some settlements provide an ecclesiastical function. These settlements may have been associated with saints or apparitions. Some settlements developed as resource-based settlements. These settlements contained resources such as coal or silver. Recreational settlements provide leisure-based activities. These settlements may have long sandy beaches or access to a large variety of outdoor pursuits like golf or mountaineering. Recreational or dormitory settlements provide people with housing. These settlements are found on the edge of cities. People travel to the city everyday to work and travel home to their settlements every evening.

The Dutch Polders - An Example Of New Settlement:
    The Netherlands is one of the most densely populated countries in Europe. It is a low-lying country which is subject to flooding. To solve the problems of flooding and to make more land available for a growing population the Dutch have reclaimed land from the sea. Land that been reclaimed from the sea is called a polder. The two major reclamation projects undertaken were: The Zuider Zee Project and The Delta Project. The Zuider Zee used to be a large sea area. Between 1927 and 1968 it was reclaimed and four polders were created. The North-East Polder covers almost 48,000ha. The main town is Emmeloord, which was centred in the middle of the polder. Smaller villages were developed around Emmeloord. These villages were linked by a ring road. They are connected to Emmeloord by radial roads. The cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague and Utrecht make up the Randstad conurbation. A conurbation is made up of many towns and cities which have joined up to form one large urban area. Conurbations because of their size have many problems: traffic congestion, lack of open space, poor air quality & rapidly growing populations. To reduce the pressure on the Randstad the government decided to develop overspill towns. The overspill towns were built on the polders. The towns of Almere and Lelystad are overspill towns. They were built to absorb the growing population of the Randstad.

Settlement along the River Rhine:
    The Rhine rises in the Swiss Alps and enters the North Sea at Rotterdam. It flows through four countries: Switzerland, France, Germany and Holland. The river acts as a major transport artery for importing and exporting goods. The Rivery Rhine serves Basle in Switzerland. It is Switzerland's major port. Barges transport goods along the Rhine to Basle. One of it's famous tributaries is the River Ruhr which meets the Rhine at Duisburg. The valley of the Ruhr contains one of Europe's largest coalfields. However, the best coal seams have been exhausted and the enviroment has been damaged. Chemicals, steel are cars are still produced there. The Rhine meets the North Sea at Rotterdam which is regarded as the world's greatest port. It is an entrepot port - the goods are warehoused and stored until they are needed in other parts of Europe. In 1970, Europoort was built to cater for larger ocean going vessels and oil tankers.

Settlement along the River Shannon:
    The River Shannon is Ireland's longest river. It has attracted settlement since the earliest times. Many major Irish towns have grown up along the banks of the Shannon. Carrick-on-Shannon and Longford developed as market towns on the Shannon. Athlone developed as a crossing point on the Shannon. In earlier times it performed a defensive role. It is now a centre of tourism and education. Shannonbridge is a resource-based settlement. It is famous for its peat burning ESB power station. Killaloe is a tourist centre, offering boating activities on Lough Derg and the Shannon. Limerick performed a defensive function in days gone by. Today it is a multifunctional city. It is an industrial centre, an educational centre, a tourist centre and a medical centre. It also acts as a port.

Limerick:
    Churches have occupied sites in Limerick since Norman times e.g. St Mary's Cathedral. Currently an administrative centre for a number of dioceses. Located on a wide deep sheltered estuary of the River Shannon. It contains docking facilities for heavy industry, e.g. Auginish Alumina. It is centrally located on the fertile floodplain of the River Shannon. It is located at the lowest bridging point of the Shannon and as a result has become a focus of routeways for the surrounding hinterland.

Cologne:
    Christian origins in Cologne date back from 200AD, e.g. world famous Gothic cathedral. Currently the administrative centre for it's archdioceses. Located on the wide deep River Rhine with a sheltered inland location. It is accessible to other European and international ports. It is situated at the meeting point of canal, rail and River Rhine traffic. It contains docking facilities for heavy industrial and agricultural exports. It is centrally located on the fertile floodplain of the River Rhine. It is located at a bridging point of the Rhine and as a result has become a focus of routeways for the surrounding hinterland.

Sexual reproduction involves two sex cells joining together during fertilisation. A gamete is a sex cell.

Asexual reproduction means that new individuals are formed from only one parent. In asexual reproduction, the offspring are identical to the parent. An example of asexual reproduction in plants is when strawberry plants form runners. These runners produce new and identical plants.

In sexual reproduction, the offspring have a combination of features inherited from each parent. The flower is the reproductive part of the plant.

Parts of a flower:
    Sepals - Protect the flower when it is a bud.
    Petals - Protect reproductive parts and sometimes attract insects.
    Carpel - The female part of the flower, it produces the female gamete (the egg)
    Stamen - The male part of the flower, it produces the male gamete (in the pollen grain)

Structure of the carpel:
    Stigma - Landing place for pollen grains.
    Style - Connects stigma to ovary.
    Ovary - Contains one or more ovules.
    Ovule - Produces an egg
    Egg - The nucleus of the egg is the female sex cell.

Structure of the stamen:
    Filament - Supports the anther
    Anther - Produces pollen grains
    Pollen - The nucleus of the pollen is the male sex cell.

Pollination is the transfer of pollen from a stamen to a carpel.

Wind:
    Petals are small, green and have no scent or nectar.
    Huge number of small pollen grains formed
    Stamens are large and hang outside the petals.
    Stigmas are large and feathery and outside the petals.
    Examples include grasses and oak trees

Insect:
    Petals are large, colourful, scented and make nectar.
    Small number of large pollen grains formed
    Stamens are small and are enclosed by the petals
    Stigmas are rounded and inside the petals
    Examples include buttercups and roses

Fertilisation is the joining of the male and female gametes to form a zygote. The pollen grain forms a pollen tube which grows down to the ovule. The male gamete passes down the pollen tube and combines with the female gamete in the ovule. After fertilisation, the following events occur:
    - The ovule becomes the seed
    - A coat called a testa forms around the seed
    - The zygote grows to form an embryo
    The embryo consists of a radicle (roots) and plumule (shoots)
    - The ovary swells with food to form a fruit which surrounds and protects the seed.

Dispersal is the carrying of the seed as far as possible from the parent plant. The benefit of dispersal is that the seedlings do not have to compete for light, space, water or minerals) with the parent plant.

Water dispersal - Coconuts
    Self dispersal - Pea pod
    Wind dispersal - Dandelion & Sycamore
    Animal dispersal - Strawberry & Goosegrass

Germination is the growth of a seed to form a new plant. The main conditions for germination are water, oxygen and a suitable temperature. The main events in germination are:
    - The seed absorbs water from the soil
    - The food supply in the seed is used to allow the radicle and plumule to grow
    - The radicle bursts out through the testa, followed by the plumule.
    - Once the first leaves form above the soil, the seedling starts to make it's own food.

The stages in plant sexual reproduction are:
    Pollination -> Fertilisation -> Dispersal -> Germination.

Cheers DKZ for that essay on de Valera. Helps a lot!

Also thanks for the other notes u put up.

ps. How do you put your name in the 'Thanks from' bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

JC Man wrote: »
    Cheers DKZ for that essay on de Valera. Helps a lot!

Also thanks for the other notes u put up.

ps. How do you put your name in the 'Thanks from' bit?

Just click the thumb on the bottom right hand corner of his post!

I can't find a thumb!?!?:confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭DylanS09

Bottom right hand corner..
    There's like this fist!

• Advertisement

Not there, mate?! :confused::o

Advertisement