Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,946 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

210525.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

This photo was linked to back on page 94, but had to display here as it was amongst lots of others and i found it fascinating as it a sort of get-back-on-our-feet attitude that we would NEVER have here in Ireland if anything of this manner ever happened.

We would be wrapped up in red tape and planning for years... it took this community SIX DAYS!

s_j10_32306724.jpg
    These two photos show a road devastated by March 11 massive earthquake (left) and the same road after restoration in Naka, Japan. The highway company restored the 150-meter section of the highway linking Tokyo and the quake-damaged Ibaraki prefecture in six days. The photos were taken on March 11, 2011, left, and on March 17, 2011, right.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭cocalolaman

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2003/05/22/earth_jupiter_100.jpg

This is a real picture of Earth (and its moon) and Jupiter (and its moons) , taken from Mars.(It's actually 2 shots put together but the scale is correct) Think about it, we can take a picture of ourselves from another freakin' planet. That just boggles my mind.
    What does Earth look like when viewed from Mars? At 13:00 GMT on 8 May 2003, the Mars Global Surveyor (MGS) Mars Orbiter Camera (MOC) had an opportunity to find out. In addition, a fortuitous alignment of Earth and Jupiter---the first planetary conjunction viewed from another planet---permitted the MOC to acquire an image of both of these bodies and their larger satellites. At the time, Mars and the orbiting camera were 139 million kilometers (86 million miles) from Earth and almost 1 billion kilometers (nearly 600 million miles) from Jupiter.

Source.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

^^^^ We took a picture of earth from about 6 billion kilometres away give or take back in 1990 (to put that distance in perspective it passed Saturn in 1981). Your picture is still shít cool.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=63198231&postcount=9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

I think this is a fantastic photo. Peter Higgs the man behind the theory of the God particle, donning a smirk after his "rejected" theory is finally proven.
    d4uTJ.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

http://www.msss.com/mars_images/moc/2003/05/22/earth_jupiter_100.jpg

This is a real picture of Earth (and its moon) and Jupiter (and its moons) , taken from Mars.(It's actually 2 shots put together but the scale is correct) Think about it, we can take a picture of ourselves from another freakin' planet. That just boggles my mind.

Source.

This kind of pictures are so humbling every time I see them. Anyone who has ever lived and ever will is encompassed in that blue dot. I have no problems any more

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Grimebox wrote: »
    This kind of pictures are so humbling every time I see them. Anyone who has ever lived and ever will is encompassed in that blue dot. I have no problems any more

Hopefully there will come a time when people are born not on that blue dot. Fantastic pictures.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Might not have shaken the whole world, but definitely shook this terminally ill child's world whose wish was to "Meet and be like Hellboy".

559065_10150980945469681_176954354_n.jpg

link to story

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Tabloid jingoism from the falklands war

The_Sun_(Gotcha).png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

lennox.jpg

After a two year legal battle, 200,000 signatures on a petition, also dog behavioural experts including Cesar Milan (the Dog Whisperer) and Victoria Stilwell (It's me or the Dog) offering to take the dog, Lennox was put to sleep today, solely because he looked like a Pitbull. He never attacked anyone and was muzzled in public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

^^^The council are a disgrace tbh, wouldn't let it be rehomed or let the owner be there for when he was put down.

"We'll send you some ashes in the mail":mad:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/world/13719000-418/pit-bull-lennox-put-to-sleep-after-2-year-fight.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭RUCKING FETARD

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I don't know if it's been done already but this picture was created after the death of Mel Blanc, the guy who voiced most of the looney tunes characters. If you look at all the characters he's voiced it's truly astounding!

200611311174278L.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,038 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

That's so scary. That guy could walk past me on the street and I wouldn't look twice at him...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

That's so scary. That guy could walk past me on the street and I wouldn't look twice at him...

Not trying to make light of the subject but the first thing I thought when I saw that pic is he looks like Otto out of The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

43 years ago today, mankind stepped foot on a piece of land that wasn't of this planet.

aldrin_apollo_11.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

^^^^

The guy responsible (James Holmes):
    james-holmes.jpg?w=420&h=315

He looks so...ordinary & 'normal'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

The Guardian, Saturday 28th July 2012.

What's it like to witness a mob attack, a starving child or the aftermath of a bomb, and take a photograph instead of stopping to help?

Some photographers give their accounts. Includes a graphic images warning but there are much worse on this thread already.

The Bystanders: photographers who didn't step in to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭FinnLizzy

Some photographers give their accounts. Includes a graphic images warning but there are much worse on this thread already.

The Bystanders: photographers who didn't step in to help

I think that it's unfair to judge bystanders who happen to take photos. The picture of the guy running away after stabbing someone could have been used as picture perfect evidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

FinnLizzy wrote: »
    I think that it's unfair to judge bystanders who happen to take photos. The picture of the guy running away after stabbing someone could have been used as picture perfect evidence.

in fairness in the article itself it is the photographers who are questioning themselves.It is a tough dilema though..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Probably posted already but given the last few posts I thought this one was apt
    kevin-carter-vulture.jpg?w=700&h=466

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This one wasn't posted before

After Marcos was booted out of the Philippines photographs were taken of the extravagant lifestyle of the ruling couple.

Imelda Marcos' shoe collection (one of my earliest memories of a news story)

215370.jpg

215371.jpg

215372.jpg

215373.jpg

She has since moved back to the Philippines where she was voted back into office along with her children also having political positions (reminds me of the good folk of Tipperary).

“I did not have three thousand pairs of shoes, I had one thousand and sixty. “
    Imelda Marcos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

Warning: Extremely Graphic
    On June 2, 2012 Feng Jianmei was forced to undergo an abortion because of China's one child policy. After the forced abortion her child was left next to her for her to dispose of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_abortion_of_Feng_Jianmei

U45P5029T2D476539F24DT20120614102424.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭General Relativity

Peter Higgs the man behind the theory of the God particle, donning a smirk after his "rejected" theory is finally proven.

I'd just like to say the Higgs mechanism has been mainstream physics since the 70's. It's always been accepted as right.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Budd-Dwyer-275x242.jpg

Very Interesting (and sad) story of Budd Dwyer. He commited suicide seconds after this photo was taken.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budd_dwyer
    In the early 1980s, Pennsylvania discovered its state workers had overpaid federal taxes due to errors in state withholding. Many accounting firms competed for a multimillion-dollar contract to determine compensation to each employee. In 1986, Dwyer was convicted of receiving a bribe from a California firm trying to gain the contract. Throughout his trial and after his conviction, he maintained that he was innocent of the charge and that he had been framed.

On the morning of January 22, 1987, he committed suicide with a gun during a televised press conference at his office in Harrisburg, the state capital.

Commiting suicide on Live television; if it were to happen now would go viral within seconds. The footage is up on youtube if you really want to see it but it does stick with you and it is graphic.

He wasn't completely guilty by the way, definitely not to the extent of the conviction he received.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

That video is nuts! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭7ofBrian

A gallery of photos from the Curiosity Rover landing:
    http://www.space.com/16909-mars-curiosity-rover-landing-live-photos.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭[Rasta]

Interesting..

normal_959631800.jpg

Advertisement