Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Diego Armando Maradona 1960 - 2020

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Pasteur.

Ya was gonna say the same

He was amazing in 86 and a shame what happened in 94

Those free kicks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I barely remember 86, but I remember him screaming at the camera after he scored in 94, before being disqualified. We have few characters in the game these days, at least he had bundles of personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Different class. Adios, thanks for the memories.

Was going to make a joke about having a coke tonight but I'll refrain. He was an absolute legend in his time.

Rest in peace Diego.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

The greatest I ever saw. I remember watching him in 1990 in awe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Supreme talent, unfortunately like a lot of gifted people he wasn't built to handle the fame side of it. RIP hand of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,336 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Insanely talented player, slightly mad bloke RIP.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Fantastic in the 86 world cup, 2 against England in the quarters and 2 against Belgium in the semis, 3-2 in the final, he played in Burrachaga to beat the Germans. Great man, iconic figure, yet the best description I ever heard for him was 5ft 6 of illegal substances. RIP Diego.

McMurphy wrote: »
    Was going to make a joke about having a coke tonight but I'll refrain. He was an absolute legend in his time.

Rest in peace Diego.

I've watched loads of videos just watching him train. The way he could kick the ball sky high and then just control it perfectly when it came back down. A magician.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

RIP one of the greatest players of all time and a true icon of the game

A dark day for supporters of all teams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

That's very sad, brilliance personified. May he RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Another good man down.

I got to see him in the flesh in Lansdowne Road. Sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭I see sheep

RIP :(

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

who would have though in 1997, when he retired, that he would be dead before Pele ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭dasdog

Very sad news this - only 60 years of age. He was such character as well as a genius on the pitch.

Another good man down.

I got to see him in the flesh in Lansdowne Road. Sad news.

Never knew he played here. Best I've seen is Ronaldo in Lansdowne (not fat Ronaldo).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Rest in peace El Diego.

I wasn't a huge soccer fan but i'd put on channel 4 just to see him play at Napoli and hope for a free kick

He was still the boss in 94 before the ban

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

sydthebeat wrote: »
    who would have though in 1997, when he retired, that he would be dead before Pele ???

Are you for real? Surprising he made it to 60. He was a cocaine addict. Also the best soccer player of my lifetime, but he had a lot of health issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I always found it bizarre how much the "hand of god" incident was applauded and celebrated in the football world as an iconic goal.

It was blatant cheating in front of a global audience and in the highest competition the sport has. It should have been vilified as a dismal failure of the officials and an alarm bell about how normalised cheating and foul play had become in the sport - anything goes so long as you can get away with it.

The other goal he scored in that game though, that was something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I've watched loads of videos just watching him train. The way he could kick the ball sky high and then just control it perfectly when it came back down. A magician.

The documentary of his life is an absolute must watch.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Will always remember this scene from USA 94, and knowing it was all over for him, when they went on the pitch and took him away for a drug test. (The look on his face says he also knew it was all over for him).

A sad playing end to one of the greatest.

Diego_acompanado_al_antidoping.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

You have to say, he was magnificent!

RIP Diego

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

that goal he scored against England in the 1986 QF always brings tears of joy to my eyes

his second goal was good too

seamus wrote: »
    I always found it bizarre how much the "hand of god" incident was applauded and celebrated in the football world as an iconic goal.

It was blatant cheating in front of a global audience and in the highest competition the sport has. It should have been vilified as a dismal failure of the officials and an alarm bell about how normalised cheating and foul play had become in the sport - anything goes so long as you can get away with it.

You're so wrong there it wasn't applauded ever

The Brits played it up and downplayed the genius goal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

The absolute greatest of all time RIP truly shocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭bewareofthedog

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

seamus wrote: »

It was blatant cheating in front of a global audience ..... It should have been vilified as a dismal failure of the officials and an alarm bell about how normalised cheating and foul play had become in the sport .....

Brings to mind Brian Friel's famous line in Philadephia Here I Come

"Just the memories, that's all you have now....but even so soon they are becoming distilled of all their coarseness and all that will be left is precious, precious gold"

Choose which you'd prefer to remember; I'll focus on the skills, the audacity, the courage (how many times did you seem him scything through defences while they all kicked lumps out of him?) and the overarching brilliance.

The rest, well: you can dwell on that if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

I saw him play in Lansdowne Road.
    Not bad. RIP.

Was I dreaming or did Eamon Dunphy say "This boy can't play"? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

'Arguably the Greatest Footballer of All Time' is being trotted out....!!!
    There is no argument about it.

He was THE GREATEST.
    RIP Diego.

Advertisement