Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do you think movies these days are mostly garbage

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

breezy1985 wrote: »
    Or maybe because a lot of movies are multinational funded so the idea of an American film is blurred now. Also Parasite and Roma are widely regarded as brilliant so it's nothing to do with "woke" and it's only snowflakes like you gets upset about these things

How the fcuk am I a snowflake? Do you even know what a snowflake is? And what do I have to do with anything? Wow, you really don't understand the concept of not attacking the poster. Perhaps you should fcuk off back to twitter with that kind of attitude rather than derailing this thread with your narrowminded views and personal attacks.

And, yes, it is everything about being woke. Do you not think that there were lots of foreign films before that weren't good? Is that not the whole point of why we are talking about the oscars? The academy has updated it's rules and guidelines in recent years to push for more people of colour, foreign movies and women. That's not a conspiracy theory or a feeling. It is something that they they are proud of and have made much publicity about.
    murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm really fed up with people saying that everything either is or is driven by being "woke"

The fact that the Oscars are progressing and now include foreign films in other categories is not woke but correct and acknowledging that films are not just made in Hollywook.
    But that is pretty much the very definition of woke;)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,289 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

dotsman wrote: »
    How the fcuk am I a snowflake? Do you even know what a snowflake is? And what do I have to do with anything? Wow, you really don't understand the concept of not attacking the poster. Perhaps you should fcuk off back to twitter with that kind of attitude rather than derailing this thread with your narrowminded views and personal attacks.

And, yes, it is everything about being woke. Do you not think that there were lots of foreign films before that weren't good? Is that not the whole point of why we are talking about the oscars? The academy has updated it's rules and guidelines in recent years to push for more people of colour, foreign movies and women. That's not a conspiracy theory or a feeling. It is something that they they are proud of and have made much publicity about.

Its the people who bring that stupid American term "woke" into every thread on boards be it about movies or cars or the colour of grass that need to f**k off back to Twitter. Stupid nonsense trying to derail every thread with that right wing crap

• Registered Users Posts: 28,386 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

dotsman wrote: »

No, it's called progress and adapting.

Organisations and people can bring about change and new thinking wiithout it being driven by the "woke" movement which really is an annoying and overused phrase nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I although I like many others thrilled at the introduction of CGI/greenscreens and suchlike, I can now clearly see that it ruined major film production from the 90s onward.

Yeah it beats cheesy miniature model sequences etc. but by being available they simply reach for it too much and over-rely on it.

It pulled away all emphasis from character development, story arc, dialogue - and indeed generally speaking any originality. I'd uninvent it if were in my power.

topper75 wrote: »
    I although I like many others thrilled at the introduction of CGI/greenscreens and suchlike, I can now clearly see that it ruined major film production from the 90s onward.

Yeah it beats cheesy miniature model sequences etc. but by being available they simply reach for it too much and over-rely on it.

It pulled away all emphasis from character development, story arc, dialogue - and indeed generally speaking any originality. I'd uninvent it if were in my power.

I'm a big Star Trek fan and it's a huge sticking point with some fans where because CGI is available it needs to be used to death with ships and lasers and lights flying everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mainstream films went down the pan a long time ago, you could buld an excel macro that would write most mainstream film scripts they're so formuliaic. One exception is Tarantino, I always liked his stuff in a general way but I'm suprised by how much I like his last few films. I don't think its any coincidence that his recent films are not set in the present, we live in a **** era and film reflects it.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

I'm a big Star Trek fan and it's a huge sticking point with some fans where because CGI is available it needs to be used to death with ships and lasers and lights flying everywhere

Star Trek is a good microcosm of this whole subject.

Compare Roddenberry Trek from the 60's to the early 2000's, verse the Abrams style Trek of the modern day. Look at the Picard series!

Interesting storylines that were actually about something, removed and replaced by "PEW PEW PEEEEEEW, BIG SPACESHIPS EXPLODE --- CRASH BANG, LOUD NOISES --- SJW WOKEISM X100"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Yeah but you’re an adult now and you’re probably a lot more critical of things than you were back when the original ghostbusters was released -you ought to be.

Ghostbuster was a Child/teenager movie. The reboot was also a child’s movie with a nod to the the 40 year old fans of the original who are bringing their children to see it.

No, I can still rewatch and enjoy the originals, just like the three Indy movies that aren't shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

It's survivorship bias. The great movies from a bygone era will stand the test of time as will the best of current movies i.e. in twenty or thirty years a handful of films from the 2010's will be served up as encapsulating movies of that era. Here's a good example. BBC are currently re-running episodes of Top of the Pops. They are currently on the episodes from March 1990. When you watch those programmes you appreciate that while you get the odd gem/hit which endures, you also have the majority of it being turgid and insipid crap. You can be assured that someone watching those shows back then was thinking that "modern" music was mostly garbage but from current perspective's we only remember the best, the one's that survive because they are great. Same with modern movies, the greats will endure, the dredge will be forgotten.

Star Trek is a good microcosm of this whole subject.

Compare Roddenberry Trek from the 60's to the early 2000's, verse the Abrams style Trek of the modern day. Look at the Picard series!

Interesting storylines that were actually about something removed and replaced by "PEW PEW PEEEEEEW, BIG SPACESHIPS EXPLODE --- CRASH BANG, LOUD NOISES --- SJW WOKEISM X100"

Again with the "woke" . If you knew anything about Roddenberry Trek you would know he has been doing what you call "woke" since the 60s or did you not notice the Asian, the Russian and the black woman. Or how about the blind black pilot none of those were by accident. And his successors continued it with a black and woman captain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Dufflecoat Fanny

Again with the "woke" . If you knew anything about Roddenberry Trek you would know he has been doing what you call "woke" since the 60s or did you not notice the Asian, the Russian and the black woman. Or how about the blind black pilot none of those were by accident. And his successors continued it with a black and woman captain

Star Trek used to be progressive and forward thinking. Woke trek is neither.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

Don't agree at all. I've seen no end of top notch, fantastic films the past few years.

People tend to strangely conflate "what gets released in the cinema" with the general state of the film industry.

If anything, thanks to streaming services and digital media, we can access more and more "good" films than ever before.

I usually watch one film a week, generally considering I go by a mix of RT scores and relevant user reviews, I'd say almost every movie I've watched this year has been excellent.

Films of the year so far for me are probably Possessor Uncut, Relic, The Painted Bird and Midsommar. But generally I've seen at least 30 I'd consider very good, and then probably 10 or so that are downright excellent.

Platform and Devil All the Time on Netflix are both very good too. I have a backlog of about 25 movies from this year still to watch.

Homelander wrote: »
    Don't agree at all. I've seen no end of top notch, fantastic films the past few years.

People tend to strangely conflate "what gets released in the cinema" with the general state of the film industry.

If anything, thanks to streaming services and digital media, we can access more and more "good" films than ever before.

I usually watch one film a week, generally considering I go by a mix of RT scores and relevant user reviews, I'd say almost every movie I've watched this year has been excellent.

Films of the year so far for me are probably Possessor Uncut, Relic, The Painted Bird and Midsommar. But generally I've seen at least 30 I'd consider very good, and then probably 10 or so that are downright excellent.

Platform and Devil All the Time on Netflix are both very good too. I have a backlog of about 25 movies from this year still to watch.

Is Midsommar better than some silly holiday slasher?

If it's more on the atmospheric side of horror I might give it a go

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Jeysus some utterly sad insecure individuals on here. Cant even talk about movies without crying about having to look at a black guy being the hero

A serious accusation based on nothing.
    Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I hate the avengers movies

love the mission impossible franchise however and im a big fan of stupid action movies , not sure why the marvel offerings leave me cold

To me, a lot of the Marvel films seem to be really formulaic.

Rothko wrote: »
    A serious accusation based on nothing.

To me, a lot of the Marvel films seem to be really formulaic.

If not insecurity then why do these people feel threatened by seeing women and black men in the starring roles traditionally reserved for white men

One thing the good old days were definitely better at is Simpons quotes

Grandpa: I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it*, and what's *it* seems weird and scary to me. It'll happen to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,350 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I agree with what Riffmongous said, that TV is the new cinema and the US is not the leaders in this entertainment anymore, Scandinavian dramas like Caliphate are leading the way, with engrossing drama and an eagerly awaited season 2. Netflix seems to have a great mix of TV and films and with the new models of TV sets and sound systems, who needs to go to a dank theatre to watch a film with all the audience noise and munching of their popcorn. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

No, I can still rewatch and enjoy the originals, just like the three Indy movies that aren't shyte.

Sure. It was aimed at you. I have a couple of movies from my childhood that i still enjoy too. If they came out for the first time in the cinema today i wouldn't be bothered with them because they're children's movies. I enjoy them because i have positive associations with them from my childhood. If you really, really, really enjoyed Ghostbusters if you saw it for the first time today as a 40 year old (for example), then you'd be in a very small minority because it was mostly a children's movie with a couple of adult themes thrown in to entertain the adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,713 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Sure. It was aimed at you. I have a couple of movies from my childhood that i still enjoy too. If they came out for the first time in the cinema today i wouldn't be bothered with them because they're children's movies. I enjoy them because i have positive associations with them from my childhood. If you really, really, really enjoyed Ghostbusters if you saw it for the first time today as a 40 year old (for example), then you'd be in a very small minority because it was mostly a children's movie with a couple of adult themes thrown in to entertain the adults.

And which "adult" movies do you enjoy?

Raiders of the lost arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

There doesnt seem to any great scrpit writing or story lines anymore apart from the odd one. theres way too many of these "superhero" type franchise movies or multiple lame follow ons

An easy comparison to make but completely misses the point.
    Roddenberry would be spinning in his photon torpedo if he could see what's become of Star Trek. When he was casting those actors in those roles back in the day he was going against the culture of the industry at the time. It was a hopeful aspiration for the future when ethnicity or gender wouldn't be noticed.

This woke bollocks passing for ST now is the exact opposite. It's the definition of lazy and establishment and reeks of show makers all vying to out SJW each other at every turn.

And that aside, if it was good sci-fi that made sense and had something of value to say, (as old Trek used to do) it would have one redeeming quality, but it doesn't even have that. It's sub standard, stupid, and very obviously is absolutely nothing more than a cash grab from a loyal audience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Too much reliance on special effects.

And easy comparison to make but completely misses the point.
    Roddenberry would be spinning in his photon torpedo if he could see what's become of Star Trek. When he was casting those actors in those roles back in the day he was going against the culture of the industry at the time. It was a hopeful aspiration for the future when ethnicity or gender wouldn't be noticed.

This woke bollocks passing for ST now is the exact opposite. It's the definition of lazy and establishment and reeks of show makers all vying to out SJW each other at every turn.

And that aside, if it was good sci-fi that made sense and had something of value to say, (as old Trek used to do) it would have one redeeming quality, but it doesn't even have that. It's sub standard, stupid, and very obviously is absolutely nothing more than a cash grab from a loyal audience.

"Vying to out SJW each other" hyper bollix is right

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

These threads are always contentious.

People like different types of movies, it is that simple.

There are some movies I could watch time and again and other people would say I haven't a clue and to not be wasting my time.

Although the Remains of the Day is a complete masterpiece and if you have never watched it I feel really sorry for you.

"Vying to out SJW each other" hyper bollix is right

I'm not sure why that would be contentious. The people producing shows like Picard are hacks. But they are smart hacks who know the way the cultural wind is blowing and they are going to flog that social justice horse to death if they think there's a buck in it.

Also, it's not very woke of you to launch personal attacks on me. You wouldn't want to trigger me now or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The missus wanted to watch a movie called Extra Ordinary last night. It's an Irish movie starring.......apologies..........with Meave Higgins.

It's so bad I'd rather get ar5e cancer than have to sit through it again.

So that's one movie these days that is garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,906 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

“That’s between me and my internet service provider” - Glenn from The Thick of It

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Is Midsommar better than some silly holiday slasher?

If it's more on the atmospheric side of horror I might give it a go

Midsommar is great considering the director is in his 30s and its only his second film, the biggest problem is...hes in his 30's and its only his second film so it has the same faults as his first film, bit too full of itself

Some people still spunk themsevles over it because the reviews said that they should. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

If not insecurity then why do these people feel threatened by seeing women and black men in the starring roles traditionally reserved for white men

Nobody is threatened :confused:

Advertisement