Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Carne Golf Links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I would say the greens on the Kilmore 9 are not up to the same standard as the original 18. Still decent greens though.

Tee boxes when I played a few weeks back were only ok, and a lot of them were fairly bad. The index 1 was very bad which was surprising as its a hole for the driver or fairway wood and there was a lot of divots on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭kermitpwee

That seems harsh for a course you joined - why did you join it so.

Maybe you do not like Links at all - course like that are not for everyone.

I joined Carne because I love links Golf, the new 9 wasn't built when i was there, I thought a lot of the holes were weak, I am a decent golfer, 5-7 handicap the last 20 years. I just didn't enjoy it, if I never play it again I wouldn't be bothered, I was actually playing quite well when i was a member there, perhaps my expectations were too high, perhaps I need to go back again for a look?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭sailing

kermitpwee wrote: »
    I joined Carne because I love links Golf, the new 9 wasn't built when i was there, I thought a lot of the holes were weak, I am a decent golfer, 5-7 handicap the last 20 years. I just didn't enjoy it, if I never play it again I wouldn't be bothered, I was actually playing quite well when i was a member there, perhaps my expectations were too high, perhaps I need to go back again for a look?

My experience. I’ve played it numerous times over the years. Excellent course. To be a mid single handicap golfer on a course like that is a serious test of one’s ability. My own course in the East is a chalk and cheese scenario. I would not be able to play anywhere near my current handicap as a member there.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭bmay529

Does anyone know if there is a drone video of the new course which I believe is now in play? I have played Carne "old" course each year for the past several years so know it quite well but never the "new" 9. I understand the new course is a composite of the two starting on the "old" 10th and finishing on the "old" 17th and 18th

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

bmay529 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a drone video of the new course which I believe is now in play? I have played Carne "old" course each year for the past several years so know it quite well but never the "new" 9. I understand the new course is a composite of the two starting on the "old" 10th and finishing on the "old" 17th and 18th

check out the no laying up episode on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyvHOP-bqAI

it's a while since i watched it but nearly sure they played the new 9.

• Advertisement

fearruanua wrote: »
    check out the no laying up episode on you tube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyvHOP-bqAI

it's a while since i watched it but nearly sure they played the new 9.

Thanks. Lovely video and while I have not played the new nine I can recognise all the back nine holes.

I saw somewhere a list of the holes on the new course but haven't been able to find it again yet... started with 10, 11 on Hackett then interspersed with new 9 finishing with 17 and 18 on the Hackett.

It would be really great if Gerry McGuire or someone at Carne could have your video edited so as to show the holes in order of play and put it on their web site. That would be a super marketing tool at little cost... or maybe someone would do a drone flyover of each hole with a voice over added.

Carne is one of my favourite courses even if I have been bashed and battered a few times in high winds and horizontal rain... you need to be prepared for anything but the place is still special.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

Bmay529: The hole order is on post 21 of this thread.

Thanks,
    Ally

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

Bmay there’s a map of all the holes with a key explaining which ones are part of what routing, and what they used to be.

The download at the bottom still takes you to the old set up

http://belmulletgolfclub.ie/contentPage/10037111/map_of_links

Thanks again Guys. I was on http://www.carnegolflinks.com/ site and didn't realise there was also a http://belmulletgolfclub.ie which has all the detail of the new Wild Atlantic Dunes course I was looking for. Can't wait to give it a go and glad to see the Hackett name has been retained on the second course.

I have yet to play the WAD 18th well... any strategy suggestions from those who have figured it out? I have lost more balls with driver off that tee shot. Last time I even used 3 wood (hit it well on the edge of the left dune) and still never found it. Next time I would be tempted to use a 7 iron off the tee just so as to have a chance to find it and go from there!!

Thanks again Guys. I was on http://www.carnegolflinks.com/ site and didn't realise there was also a http://belmulletgolfclub.ie which has all the detail of the new Wild Atlantic Dunes course I was looking for. Can't wait to give it a go and glad to see the Hackett name has been retained on the second course.

I have yet to play the WAD 18th well... any strategy suggestions from those who have figured it out? I have lost more balls with driver off that tee shot. Last time I even used 3 wood (hit it well on the edge of the left dune) and still never found it. Next time I would be tempted to use a 7 iron off the tee just so as to have a chance to find it and go from there!!

Its a big hit to get a 7iron up there, I usually knock down a driver, get it up there about 220 yards, then I lay up to the bottom of the big dip, then trust my yardages on my wedges from there. Usually end up with a 5/6 and I have a shot on the hole. If im chasing a score I would be going a bit more aggressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Deporhostia

etxp wrote: »
    Its a big hit to get a 7iron up there, I usually knock down a driver, get it up there about 220 yards, then I lay up to the bottom of the big dip, then trust my yardages on my wedges from there. Usually end up with a 5/6 and I have a shot on the hole. If im chasing a score I would be going a bit more aggressive.

Yeah I think if you take too much off the tee shot, your second shot will be a bit of a tight squeeze when getting past the top of the ridge. iirc a couple of pinching dunes there. So I'd be hitting at least 200yd on the drive if possible to make it easier to get into the valley on second shot, which is wider

When I said 7 iron it was a bit "tongue in cheek" but I meant something that would not reach any trouble (assuming hit reasonably straight), maybe my rescue 4 would do the job. Can't remember if they do a stroke saver but if they do it might help me pick a line off the tee and target/landing points along the hole. I can't think of any other hole in golf where I have trouble picking the right/target line from the tee even after having played the hole a few times. Mind you nasty weather was a factor a couple of times. Super hole.

When I said 7 iron it was a bit "tongue in cheek" but I meant something that would not reach any trouble (assuming hit reasonably straight), maybe my rescue 4 would do the job. Can't remember if they do a stroke saver but if they do it might help me pick a line off the tee and target/landing points along the hole. I can't think of any other hole in golf where I have trouble picking the right/target line from the tee even after having played the hole a few times. Mind you nasty weather was a factor a couple of times. Super hole.

The 17th is a much harder driving hole, anything left has a chance of going down the big valley, anything right is in the long stuff. Two great finishing holes.

Agreed, two great finishing holes. On 17 you have to hit the fairway but you can at least see the fairway you are aiming at whereas on 18 the fairway wanders around to the left through the dunes. How far is fairway run out if you go straight... 200 yds?

Heading to Belmullet in a few weeks to play Carne as part of the Atlantic Challenge. I am totally confused... can anyone enlighten me what course we will play this year and how it relates to the old course which I have played several times and would know quite well. I never played the "old" 9 holes which I thought was called the Hackett course. Some of the links from earlier in this post seem to no longer work. I thought the new 18 course was called the Wild Atlantic Dunes and was a mix of the old course and the hackett 9 playing 10 - 16ish as the first 7 and then mixing in holes from the Hackett 9 finishing with the 17th and 18th from the old course???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Heading to Belmullet in a few weeks to play Carne as part of the Atlantic Challenge. I am totally confused... can anyone enlighten me what course we will play this year and how it relates to the old course which I have played several times and would know quite well. I never played the "old" 9 holes which I thought was called the Hackett course. Some of the links from earlier in this post seem to no longer work. I thought the new 18 course was called the Wild Atlantic Dunes and was a mix of the old course and the hackett 9 playing 10 - 16ish as the first 7 and then mixing in holes from the Hackett 9 finishing with the 17th and 18th from the old course???

Think the back 9 of the Hackett and the Kilmore 9 are the wild Atlantic 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭NotCarrotRidge

This is copied from a post by Ally McIntosh earlier in this thread:
    I believe it has, at least as an option on certain days.

For what it’s worth, the design intent was that this composite course plays in the following sequence:

Front nine: 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 5K, 6K

Back nine: 7K, 8K, 9K, 1K, 2K, 3K, 4K, 17, 18
    I played it on Sunday, and that appears to ring true, particularly if the Kilmore no. 5 is a crazy par 5 that wraps around the base of a dune in never-ending dog leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

This is copied from a post by Ally McIntosh earlier in this thread:

I played it on Sunday, and that appears to ring true, particularly if the Kilmore no. 5 is a crazy par 5 that wraps around the base of a dune in never-ending dog leg!

no 5 is a work of genius, most enjoyable hole I have ever played. Fairway that wraps around the dune is pretty much a decoy

willabur wrote: »
    no 5 is a work of genius, most enjoyable hole I have ever played. Fairway that wraps around the dune is pretty much a decoy

Me too. The most memorable hole I will ever play, I suspect. The use of the natural landform is outstanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

we had some craic on that hole 3 weeks ago :eek:

• Advertisement

3 wood off the tee and cut the corner with a long iron is the way to play it. You probably wont hit the green as you would need a very impressive shot to get to the green but you will be up near it.

A great hole and a ****er of a hole at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭willabur

dk1982 wrote: »
    we had some craic on that hole 3 weeks ago :eek:
    Brilliant picture
    in a word... Carne

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Whiplash85

Do they have an updated stroke saver I wonder that incorporates all the changes. Playing with a couple of lads who have never played it before and want it to be seamless as possible so they can enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

Whiplash85 wrote: »
    Do they have an updated stroke saver I wonder that incorporates all the changes. Playing with a couple of lads who have never played it before and want it to be seamless as possible so they can enjoy the experience.

I was up there about two weeks ago playing the Dunes course. There was no stroke saver in the pro shop but not sure if it was that they didn't have any in stock or that they haven't had one done yet?

B_Sharp wrote: »
    I was up there about two weeks ago playing the Dunes course. There was no stroke saver in the pro shop but not sure if it was that they didn't have any in stock or that they haven't had one done yet?

As far as I could gather, they have it done but out of stock.

B_Sharp wrote: »

Is the new course layout available on BPS devices?

Is the new course layout available on BPS devices?

I'm not being smart, I don't know a lot about gear, but should that be GPS? If so, yes, but you'll have to remember that the two loops of nine on the Hackett course have reversed, i.e what was the front nine is now the back nine.

I don't know if that's a great move, to be honest, because the two holes that are now 8 and 9 were 17 and 18, and they're superb. I think they are better as the finishing holes than the end of the front nine.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I’m heading down to Carne this morning.

My understanding is that the reason for reversal of the nines was so that both the Hackett and WAD courses could be available on the same day. I think they have now made the sensible move to only have one 18 hole course available per day. Hence the initial reason to reverse is no longer there. Will let you know plans on my return.

My understanding is that the reason for reversal of the nines was so that both the Hackett and WAD courses could be available on the same day. I think they have now made the sensible move to only have one 18 hole course available per day. Hence the initial reason to reverse is no longer there. Will let you know plans on my return.

Looking forward to hearing the new plans.

For it to work as intended i think they would have had to have everyone going off the 1st(old 10th) and playing that nine then playing the new nine. The issue i had with it, and i have said it before here i think, was that when you get to the 17th of the WAD course you were also meeting people playing the 8th of the Hackett course. Think there was 3 groups waiting when we played it.

• Advertisement

That sounds right; they had the only the Hackett open on the Saturday and Dunes on Sunday.

Advertisement