Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do I need broadband

• 16-04-2020 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

I hope this is in the right section, if not perhaps you might move it for me? Thank you.
    My situation is this- VM have told us, us being two people in their sixties, that the cable coming into the house has deteriorated and the speeds for broadband are never going to be any good and will continue to disintegrate. And they are right. Anything such as YouTube is just spinning wheels even when desktop is connected to box by cable. They are more than happy to replace it. However the house has wraparound insulating and I neither want to fix cables to it, drill into it nor feed cabling through the attic because it too has been insulated. Silly probably but right now the need for broadband doesn’t outweigh the the need not to damage insulation. So, after all that, seeing we have a data package on the phones, do we need broadband? I can’t see a reason to keep paying for poor signal but before I tell them to disconnect it and we just keep TV I just want to be sure I’m not missing something? Sorry for the long story. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

How is the existing cable run? Can they just use the existing cable to pull the new cable through?

If you're happy with phone data tethering then just use that but be careful if using a bill pay phone and check that it's not against terms. If it's a PAYG phone then it shouldn't be an issue. A highly insulated house might not allow full mobile signal through but anything over 10Mbps should be fine for most browsing and YouTube.

Will it be cheaper to have TV without broadband with VM? Is there a landline phone linked to the modem? Check what can or can't be retained by dropping broadband.

The other option is to get a specification from whoever insulated the house and ensure that VM follow that spec regarding sealing cable holes if they do run new cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Larsheen

Ten Pin wrote: »
    How is the existing cable run? Can they just use the existing cable to pull the new cable through?

If you're happy with phone data tethering then just use that but be careful if using a bill pay phone and check that it's not against terms. If it's a PAYG phone then it shouldn't be an issue. A highly insulated house might not allow full mobile signal through but anything over 10Mbps should be fine for most browsing and YouTube.

Will it be cheaper to have TV without broadband with VM? Is there a landline phone linked to the modem? Check what can or can't be retained by dropping broadband.

The other option is to get a specification from whoever insulated the house and ensure that VM follow that spec regarding sealing cable holes if they do run new cable.

Hi Ten Pin and thanks for taking the time to reply.
    Unfortunately the existing cable is pinned to the outside wall under the insulation.Definitely a lack of foresight when viewed now but I had just had an unbelievable and surreal battle with Eircom(who I wasn't even a customer of) over a pre-existing box of theirs on the gable, too long winded to go into but which only got resolved because I used a bit of "pull" so I had no stomach to get into it with VM.So that unfortunately is not possible.
    There is a landline but that can go.My wife is self isolating with her very elderly parents in another part of the country and have just been speaking with her and she tells me that VM won't entertain a TV only package but we'll see. If they won't and we have to lose the broadband(we can't lose the TV, that is non negotiable with lady wife)and have to drill I'd sooner go with a "no bill TV" job but like I say, I can't see a reason to stick with broadband for all we use it for but wasn't sure what I'd lose.When the technician from VM was out the last time over the poor broadband strength and announced about the signal coming in and cable deterioration, he also said that it is VM policy not to drill into insulation.You have to do that yourself and then they come along and feed cable in.I suppose the positive of that is that you are in control and you can take as many precautions as necessary to minimise the damage.Just not delighted about doing it especially as I say if it's for something I don't desperately need.Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

How is mobile coverage?

Would you not just buy a mobile broadband offer and use that?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How is mobile coverage?

Would you not just buy a mobile broadband offer and use that?

Hi Shefwedfan

Well we both have data packages on the phones with 'unlimited' so I personally can see no reason to keep with the broadband but wasn't sure, it seemed like a radical step and was just checking.I am currently using the desktop to mirror my iPhone on to and it's fine.The contract with VM is up in a few days and I was thinking of going into battle with VM but didn't want lady wife to come back when this virus is over- ish and find no broadband and for something I missed to be gone with it:oThank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

...I'd sooner go with a "no bill TV" job...

That also requires cabling from an outdoor satellite dish (for UK channels) and aerial (for RTE, TV3, TG4 etc) although there should be vents in the eaves (or are there?) that might work for that.

• Advertisement

Larsheen wrote: »
    Hi Shefwedfan

Well we both have data packages on the phones with 'unlimited' so I personally can see no reason to keep with the broadband but wasn't sure, it seemed like a radical step and was just checking.I am currently using the desktop to mirror my iPhone on to and it's fine.The contract with VM is up in a few days and I was thinking of going into battle with VM but didn't want lady wife to come back when this virus is over- ish and find no broadband and for something I missed to be gone with it:oThank you

I have mobile BB at home because I can't get any other connection. I had vodafone but have moved to three. First thing is check what antenna are in your area.

Then get a router which will provide carrier aggregate(B525 Huawei) so you get better performance.

I have three TV's, couple of laptops/ipad etc and they all run off it no problem. We have only internet TV so netflix etc and no issue.

Now I would say test it first, if the antenna is overloaded you could have issues etc but it works perfect for us,

Ten Pin wrote: »
    That also requires cabling from an outdoor satellite dish (for UK channels) and aerial (for RTE, TV3, TG4 etc) although there should be vents in the eaves (or are there?) that might work for that.
    Hi Ten Pin, that’s my point. If VM refuse to supply a TV only package and I have to run cable it might as well be for a satellite dish and aerial seeing the broadband is verging on redundancy.

I have mobile BB at home because I can't get any other connection. I had vodafone but have moved to three. First thing is check what antenna are in your area.

Then get a router which will provide carrier aggregate(B525 Huawei) so you get better performance.

I have three TV's, couple of laptops/ipad etc and they all run off it no problem. We have only internet TV so netflix etc and no issue.

Now I would say test it first, if the antenna is overloaded you could have issues etc but it works perfect for us,
    Thanks again. Could I ask how you check what antenna is in an area?

Thanks again. Could I ask how you check what antenna is in an area?

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/#explore

Cool! Thank you Shefwedfan. It seems there are two 3, one Vodofone and one Meteor a quarter of a mile away. Thank you very much again.

• Advertisement

Cool! Thank you Shefwedfan. It seems there are two 3, one Vodofone and one Meteor a quarter of a mile away. Thank you very much again.

I went Three, they have the Huawei B535 on free with 18 month contract...also you get 14 day return policy, so if it don’t work Chuck it back at them

Advertisement