Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Moved back to Ireland and questioning it!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

2wrq5gg.jpg

It was a nice day to day so off myself and my dog went for a drive. A couple of hours down the road and I ended up here. I live in Cork city and most of the scenery from Cork to there was pretty amazing.

I understand those that are saying they are finding it hard to settle back in Ireland. Everything is bigger and sunnier in Aus and it will take some time to readjust. I even understand why some would rather live in Aus over Ireland. However to say Ireland is a kip is completely over the top and I find it hard to take those comments seriously. We live in a beautiful country.

I also find it hard to take seriously when people say there is nothing to do here. Maybe in Rural Ireland. But live near Dublin, Cork , Galway and there is always something to do. I know in Cork there is always some kind of festival on.

I know the weather here isn't great. Especially compared to Australia. But I find its better to embrace than avoid it. Summers are pleasant here, it doesn't get hot (the heat isn't for me) And personally there is nothing I like more than going for a walk on an October/December morning when the sun is shining and the air is cool and crisp. Also there is something comforting about coming inside from the miserable wet weather to nice warm fire.

As for politics, I can't argue with that. I hate having to pay so much tax, for a debt that has nothing to do with me. But then again Aus has its problems too, Tony Abbott for one.

You will find good and bad in every country. You can choose to focus on the negative and you will find it. Ireland might be lacking a lot but its filled with a rich history and culture you won't find in Australia. We have a beautiful country with a generally laid back attitude. And the majority of people here are great.

My advice to those who have just returned, take some time to visit Ireland as tourist. Travel around the country a bit and see it from a different perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

For what it's worth I worked outdoors for over a decade in ireland and the weather isn't as bad as it appears if you're sitting inside looking out.

The grey winter does get to me but so did four months without rain or a cloud in the sky in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 onmyway

CB19135 wrote: »
    Id like to hear your opinion after uve spent 3 months at home!

After living in Ireland (Dublin) for 40 yrs , and returning once , sometimes twice every year since moving to Australia ..Think I know what to expect!.....All im saying is, it takes a lot more to make a heart happy than the sun/beach....different strokes for different folks......

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CB19135

jimd2 wrote: »
    So you are basically saying that people that didnt make a long term move cannot comment on whether they are happy or not rearing a family in Ireland!

Wow!

I am not sure whether it is arrogance or a massive chip on your shoulder that you have developed since you went to wherever you went to.

Let me repeat what I wrote in my original post that you latched on to....

I am not happy with some of the decisions of the government but it is incorrect to say that it is totally corrupt. There are lots of positives to living in Ireland, I for one am happy to be still living and rearing a family here.

Where did I even attempt to compare living in other countries to Ireland? I made a comment on the level of corruption and the positives in Ireland from how I see them. I have had 2 very good job offers in the U.S. but I chose to stay in Ireland in good jobs but maybe not as good as I would have had in the U.S. Deal with it, some of us make different choices.

Wow you seem really angry! Maybe you should move ha ha. Of course anyone who lives in ireland can have an opinion on ireland. But the original poster lived away for years and experienced life in another country full time & is comparing both lives... thats all i was referring to. Different circumstances! Try not to be so sensitive ha ha. I have no chip as i have 2 passports so can leave whenever i want!

onmyway wrote: »
    After living in Ireland (Dublin) for 40 yrs , and returning once , sometimes twice every year since moving to Australia ..Think I know what to expect!.....All im saying is, it takes a lot more to make a heart happy than the sun/beach....different strokes for different folks......

Thats exaclty what I thought! I visited home every year.. sometimes twice also!
    But yes of course all down to individual :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

2wrq5gg.jpg

I know the weather here isn't great.

Isn't great ? - That's the understatement of the century. You get muslim weather in Ireland - Sometimes it's Sunni, but usually it's Shi' ite !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Long Gone wrote: »
    ... You get muslim weather in Ireland - Sometimes it's Sunni, but usually it's Shi' ite !
    that comment is dragging the discussion down but I have to admit I like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jimd2

Wow you seem really angry! Maybe you should move ha ha. Of course anyone who lives in ireland can have an opinion on ireland. But the original poster lived away for years and experienced life in another country full time & is comparing both lives... thats all i was referring to. Different circumstances! Try not to be so sensitive ha ha. I have no chip as i have 2 passports so can leave whenever i want!

Not angry, I just just couldn't believe how you latched on to me basically saying I cannot comment on my life here.

Just to let you know as you seem concerned we have no interest in moving at the moment as we are living in a nice area, both have decent jobs and are mortgage free ha ha. If our children move abroad we may go for extended holidays then ha ha.

Regarding your two passports, I couldn't care less ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

onmyway wrote: »
    Howayas ...Well.. just found this forum and read the thread... Im sitting here in Sydney ..cant go out because its too hot.!! .Let me give you a bit of background , if your interested Lol.... Im from Dublin, Im 55yrs lady with 3 kids 6 grandkids ...5 sisters 2 brothers and a whole heap of friends & relations ....came to Oz 2010 to follow my first love after he legged it in 1979....(another story) lol...In my opinion , Sydney is not a better place, just different ...still have all the problems with drugs/alcohol/mental health issues that we have at home . My husband has worked here for 34 yrs ..owns his business and home ...worked his ass off for it ...Now , we want to go home ..and we are in the process of getting there ...and it really annoys me to read all the negative remarks ..everyone has a different story to tell...the amount of people saying "Its a Kip" ' Stay where you are" ..Never underestimate homesickness/ isolation/ no sense of belonging... Yes , Iv sat at Opera house looking at the harbor bridge in awe ....and it really is a beautiful place ... but I, to be honest find it boring and superficial, all centered around the afternoon Barbie/beach, favourite topic of conversation is how much you paid for such n such .. . In bed by 9.30 cos everyone has to get up at 5/6 to get to work most , 6 days a week.. hour drive each way .. Yep Sun is lovely ...but try working in it ..or carrying your shopping/kids ..different story believe me lol.....just my opinion .and maybe a little harsh.. but there ya go, we cant wait to get home ....

So are your family all in Ireland? You see I could not imagine living here without my children, although as they get older I know (hope) they will move out and get lives of their own, but, I can't imagine me moving away from them iykwim.

I am finding things very different to you. I have lovely friends, not superficial at all, we never discuss house prices or anything like that. We sit in the backyard until 11pm drinking wine while our kids play in the lovely warm evenings.

I also don't know anyone who works 6 days a week, but that said I know mostly professional people so I am not sure how many days a week tradies work, maybe they do work 6.

I hope you are happy back in Ireland, being homesick is terrible, and there really is no real cure apart from just going home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Isn't great ? - That's the understatement of the century. You get muslim weather in Ireland - Sometimes it's Sunni, but usually it's Shi' ite !

Great joke! But not altogether true. In Dublin and on the east coast generally, the weather is normally beautiful in the morning; if it's going to rain it does so in the afternoon, but even then it's almost always "cith is dealláin" - showers interspersed with sunshine.

In Galway they live in the Land of Mists, it rains an awful lot all right.

• Advertisement

jimd2 wrote: »
    Not angry, I just just couldn't believe how you latched on to me basically saying I cannot comment on my life here.

Just to let you know as you seem concerned we have no interest in moving at the moment as we are living in a nice area, both have decent jobs and are mortgage free ha ha. If our children move abroad we may go for extended holidays then ha ha.

Regarding your two passports, I couldn't care less ha ha.

You sound really really silly.

So are your family all in Ireland? You see I could not imagine living here without my children, although as they get older I know (hope) they will move out and get lives of their own, but, I can't imagine me moving away from them iykwim.

I am finding things very different to you. I have lovely friends, not superficial at all, we never discuss house prices or anything like that. We sit in the backyard until 11pm drinking wine while our kids play in the lovely warm evenings.

I also don't know anyone who works 6 days a week, but that said I know mostly professional people so I am not sure how many days a week tradies work, maybe they do work 6.

I hope you are happy back in Ireland, being homesick is terrible, and there really is no real cure apart from just going home.

Sounds lovely :-)
    I know what you mean... i moved home coz in my head i missed it. But unfortunately for me the reality was not what i expected & i just think my life is better for me in Aus. I dont complain about it here... i do just make the most of it but i will be moving back to melbourne in october. I dont superficial friends either & never once have I mentioned house prices etc. Have to be wherever u are happy...

catbear wrote: »
    It's worthy of a pros and cons list.

Weather is a major con for Australia although a good summer in Ireland is heaven.

I remember last summer in Ireland - It was on a Tuesday.....

This is a really great thread - One of the best I've seen on boards.ie in a long time.

Oh mother dear, I'm over here, I never will come back

What keeps me here is the rake of beer, the women, and the crack.....! .:cool:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Sounds lovely :-)
    I know what you mean... i moved home coz in my head i missed it. But unfortunately for me the reality was not what i expected & i just think my life is better for me in Aus. I dont complain about it here... i do just make the most of it but i will be moving back to melbourne in october. I dont superficial friends either & never once have I mentioned house prices etc. Have to be wherever u are happy...

every one of your 31 posts are in this thread going on about how much better it is in Melbourne and that the only thing going for Ireland is Penneys haha. I find it odd, that you say in your 6 years away, you came home every year, and sometimes twice, yet you have 2 passports, keep saying how you are going back, but still havent gone. If it is better there for you why not go now? Why suffer being miserable here when you dont want to be in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Jonti

acb wrote: »
    As the title says...we moved home 4 weeks ago yday after being in Australia 2.5 years and while its great seeing everyone, I think Id rather have stayed. We were in Mornington , Melbourne and I loved it...husband didn't though. I had really settled , made great friends, knew the schools the kids would start next year etc

Back now and finding it grime here. Go for a walk and you have to keep watching out for Dog crap everywhere..really annoys me. I have a poo brush for the pram- how gross is that! Grown men discard litter without a second thought. It make me question why am I telling my 3 yo to put his rubbish in his pocket until he finds a bin.
    What strikes me is everywhere looks like it needs money spent on it. I guess thats the recession.
    Maybe its the time of year or me projecting my feelings, but people seem like they're having a hard tough life.
    Since we got back its a struggle. I don't do anything- stuck inside with the kids. In Oz I was always out. I dint think twice about heading out with the 2 kids for a walk someplace.

Probably should say what brought us back..well husband got 2 job offers in the same week, a job in Melbourne CBD and another one- a permanent job in Ireland so we came back. We left in the first place because of 'natural wastage', husband lost his job so we applied for skilled visa for Australia.

Its so hard to know, Sorry I know my post is a long whingy ramble.
    Im just feeling unsettled...people don't understand unless they've gone through it themselves.

Go back, think of your kids, they're future will be better in Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

This is a really great thread - One of the best I've seen on boards.ie in a long time.

Oh mother dear, I'm over here, I never will come back

What keeps me here is the rake of beer, the women, and the crack.....! .:cool:

Crack or Craic is the question judging from my short time in Australia.....

but agreed, good thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I had an Irish couple (mid 40s) in our venue a couple of weeks ago. Both had been over here 20+ years. Both were Irish through and through. Still had the accents, mannerisms etc However their three kids were all born in Oz.

Now although they both had Irish parents these kids were 100% Aussie. Although they obviously looked like their folks it seemed like they were adopted as they didn't have the same mannerisms, accents etc as their parents.

I'm not saying for one minute bring Irish is better then being Australian but I think if you're having kids is seems such a shame not to raise them In an environment where they know what it means to be Irish. Obviously circumstances dicate where you settle down and it's not always straightforward but I would definitely want to give Ireland one last go before we decided to put some roots down.

Anyone been in a situation like this??

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

If you're born somewhere & grow to adulthood in that place, that's your nationality, regardless of where your parents come from.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say. That if your kids sounded different to you it would make you sad or you wouldn't love them as much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I had an Irish couple (mid 40s) in our venue a couple of weeks ago. Both had been over here 20+ years. Both were Irish through and through. Still had the accents, mannerisms etc However their three kids were all born in Oz.

Now although they both had Irish parents these kids were 100% Aussie. Although they obviously looked like their folks it seemed like they were adopted as they didn't have the same mannerisms, accents etc as their parents.

I'm not saying for one minute bring Irish is better then being Australian but I think if you're having kids is seems such a shame not to raise them In an environment where they know what it means to be Irish. Obviously circumstances dicate where you settle down and it's not always straightforward but I would definitely want to give Ireland one last go before we decided to put some roots down.

Anyone been in a situation like this??

I have kids and they are all Australian. They wont have my childhood, they will have their own. I would not call that a shame.

They will be Australian born of Irish parents a pretty common thing in Australia.

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    I have kids and they are all Australian. They wont have my childhood, they will have their own. I would not call that a shame.

They will be Australian born of Irish parents a pretty common thing in Australia.

I have kids and they are all proudly Irish. The fact that they were born abroad (and speak with local accents) is completely irrelevant as far as they are concerned. Apart from that I agree with you - My kids are having a much better childhood than I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭scouser82

Have been home for a year now, but stumbled across this thread so thought I'd give my story.

I was in Australia for over 3 years. Went out knowing nobody. I made some Irish/English/Welsh/South African friends etc, and it would break your heart when one by one they would leave. Then a year in I met a wonderful Australian woman and fell madly in love. I didn't feel too homesick until then. But once I had a girlfriend, the idea of settling long term started to become a serious option. I couldn't get comfortable with it no matter how hard I tried. I'm very Irish. Not only did I miss my family really badly, but I missed all the little things about being in Ireland. I found Australia isolating due to the distance from every other country, and the time difference (particularly for watching sport). A trip home half way during my time there only unsettled me much more when I got back to Australia.

I soldiered on though. An understanding girlfriend and her very generous family did everything to make me feel a part of their family. So many acts of kindness. But in a way those family gatherings made me miss my own family even more.

I was heavily involved in a particular sport during my time there and through it I made a lot of Australian friends and acquaintances. In many ways I was very settled. I wasn't one of the Irish who hung out in St Kilda with other Irish, and I knew if I lived there permanently I would have life long friends. This helped a lot.

I was on a 457 and after one year in this job (3 years in total in Australia) my role got made redundant. Despite wanting to be at home, I also didn't want to leave if that makes sense. I did everything I could to secure a new sponsor so I could stay in Australia with my girlfriend. But there was to be no joy. Visa expired, I went home for Christmas, and then came back for 2 months on a holiday visa to say my goodbyes to all.

The last week was unbearable pain. Saying goodbye to all the things I had grown to love, all the things that had become so part of my life. It was tough. This was only the warm up act though to the main heartache. Saying goodbye to my girlfriend at the airport was the most heart wrenching thing I have ever gone through. It was unbearable. The only thing that got me through that gate was the belief that I would see her again, as we agreed to try long distance.

Sadly the long distance didn't work. I couldn't get comfortable with the idea of living so far away permanently, and she is a complete home bird and made no effort to visit or move here, partly down to my uncertainty of where I wanted to settle. After 6 months of growing anxiety and ignoring the topic we faced it head on and broke up, after close to 3 years together. We were a great match, except for the one small but significant fact that we were both so close to our homes and families. This massive similarity was what split us up, due to geography, and nothing else.

I can rest knowing I couldn't really have done any more to stay in Australia, but to lose somebody who could well have been the love of my life is hard to take. I haven't spoken to her since the breakup, it's easier this way. But not many days go by where I don't think about her in some capacity.

I'm still far from settled, but I still really like being home, and I'll eventually get there I'm sure. Ireland is far from perfect, but the same applies to Australia. It's all very much depends on the individual. Think long and hard though before getting into a relationship with an Australian. I wouldn't swap a minute of it, but it can create a lot of heartache depending on the type of person you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 niterain84

scouser82 wrote: »
    Have been home for a year now, but stumbled across this thread so thought I'd give my story.

I was in Australia for over 3 years. Went out knowing nobody. I made some Irish/English/Welsh/South African friends etc, and it would break your heart when one by one they would leave. Then a year in I met a wonderful Australian woman and fell madly in love. I didn't feel too homesick until then. But once I had a girlfriend, the idea of settling long term started to become a serious option. I couldn't get comfortable with it no matter how hard I tried. I'm very Irish. Not only did I miss my family really badly, but I missed all the little things about being in Ireland. I found Australia isolating due to the distance from every other country, and the time difference (particularly for watching sport). A trip home half way during my time there only unsettled me much more when I got back to Australia.

I soldiered on though. An understanding girlfriend and her very generous family did everything to make me feel a part of their family. So many acts of kindness. But in a way those family gatherings made me miss my own family even more.

I was heavily involved in a particular sport during my time there and through it I made a lot of Australian friends and acquaintances. In many ways I was very settled. I wasn't one of the Irish who hung out in St Kilda with other Irish, and I knew if I lived there permanently I would have life long friends. This helped a lot.

I was on a 457 and after one year in this job (3 years in total in Australia) my role got made redundant. Despite wanting to be at home, I also didn't want to leave if that makes sense. I did everything I could to secure a new sponsor so I could stay in Australia with my girlfriend. But there was to be no joy. Visa expired, I went home for Christmas, and then came back for 2 months on a holiday visa to say my goodbyes to all.

The last week was unbearable pain. Saying goodbye to all the things I had grown to love, all the things that had become so part of my life. It was tough. This was only the warm up act though to the main heartache. Saying goodbye to my girlfriend at the airport was the most heart wrenching thing I have ever gone through. It was unbearable. The only thing that got me through that gate was the belief that I would see her again, as we agreed to try long distance.

Sadly the long distance didn't work. I couldn't get comfortable with the idea of living so far away permanently, and she is a complete home bird and made no effort to visit or move here, partly down to my uncertainty of where I wanted to settle. After 6 months of growing anxiety and ignoring the topic we faced it head on and broke up, after close to 3 years together. We were a great match, except for the one small but significant fact that we were both so close to our homes and families. This massive similarity was what split us up, due to geography, and nothing else.

I can rest knowing I couldn't really have done any more to stay in Australia, but to lose somebody who could well have been the love of my life is hard to take. I haven't spoken to her since the breakup, it's easier this way. But not many days go by where I don't think about her in some capacity.

I'm still far from settled, but I still really like being home, and I'll eventually get there I'm sure. Ireland is far from perfect, but the same applies to Australia. It's all very much depends on the individual. Think long and hard though before getting into a relationship with an Australian. I wouldn't swap a minute of it, but it can create a lot of heartache depending on the type of person you are.

Could you not just have got a partner visa with when you were in Australia with her? You dont need to be married to get it, you just need to show you are in a relationship together for at least 6 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I am absolutely grateful to live in Ireland. We have a great standard of living and isn't some sort of dystopia that some emigrants make it out to be. If you don't like it move out. Simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

... dystopia ...

nice word!

have you ever lived abroad?

Its normal. After years away you look at Ireland with clearer eyes and see things that those who havent left can't see. The same would apply in reverse to an australian coming here, though the annoying items are different. After a while you will ignore these things and insulate yourself :)

The drink culture, the idea that the best thing you can do for entertainment is to have feed of pints, rte, vested interests, the fact that its easier to get to see a vet than a doctor, the political correctness, the soft justice system, that its possible for a guy to have 49 previous convictions and still be free to murder someone, the political system pandering to everybody like there isnt a single politician with the courage to defend zero hour contracts, the next abortion referendum, 1916, etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

This post is aimed at the OP, with whom I can totally empathise.

Firstly, I can tell you that it takes at least a year (probably a bit longer) to settle back in & reach the stage that you won't regret moving home & that you won't constantly be thinking how bad a decision you've made. You are (what I'd describe as) experiencing grief for a previous life. I realise that you were only away for a short period, but upping sticks is a major event especially when you have a partner & kids to consider, & any change in a 'life plan' comes with it's ups & downs.

It's not a matter of lowering expectations. Ireland & Oz are two completely different countries, both with their good & bad points - you knew this. You also knew that things were going to be different. It's a matter of reminding yourself why you came home. In your case it was primarily for work reasons, so it would be no harm to bear that in mind. Also, it's important that you talk honestly & frankly with your husband. Tell him exactly how you feel without constantly complaining. You don't say how he now feels, or how your children feel - it may be time to sit down, talk & find out. You say that your husband didn't like Melbourne, but that you loved it: only you know how much thought or compromise went into your decision to return to Ireland, whether it would have been possible for you to stay if he got alternative employment etc. etc.

There's no easy fix for how you feel, the only consolation is that it's perfectly natural to feel this way. My concern (for want of a better word to use to a complete stranger) is for your state of mind, your relationship with your husband & children & how it could possibly have an adverse affect on your future. Bear in mind that kids pick up on things from their mothers, so if you're giving off the impression that you're not happy it could rub off on them, which isn't fair to them. You also don't want your husband to think that he's somehow failed you & your kids. This is why it's imperative that you are both reading from the same page & that you don't get tempted to play the B Card (Blame Card).

Sit down, talk it through, come to a decision. Give it 12 months & if you still feel the same way then decide now that in 12 months you'll look into returning to Oz (if an option). Make a concentrated effort on a daily basis to try to make Ireland your home once again. The more effort you put in the more you'll get out of it plus you'd eventually have a stronger case to move away again if you've done everything in your power to make things work here. Weigh up the pros & cons in a years time. In the meantime, try to:

1) Concentrate on the positives (proximity to family, good education system) rather than the negatives (cost of car insurance, dog poop, childcare costs).

2) Integrate (social clubs, mother & toddler groups, sports clubs, community events) & make new friends.

3) Don't annihilate people (especially former friends) by constantly comparing things here to things in Oz - this can be hard, but you won't be doing yourself any favours by doing so. Bear in mind that former friends have lives too & the chances are that they have moved on with theirs while you were away.

4) Communicate openly & regularly with your partner about how you feel things are going, but in a structured fashion as opposed to constantly complaining.

Some of the above may come across as harsh so please don't be offended - I'm merely giving you advice that I wish someone had given me at the time. I made all of the mistakes that I mentioned above - I'm not saying that you are making them - just advising you not to. You've got to give yourself & your family the best chance in the here & now, so try not to dwell on the past. Plan ahead & look towards the future - if that involves returning to Oz in 12 or 24 months time then so be it, but give things time to work out here first.

Be Happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

I am in the enviable position that I live abroad for many months a year but come home regularly.

I am resident in the US and have been for over ten years. I missed family and friends immensely, especially with elderly parents. When my dad passed away I was devastated. Luckily I managed to say a final goodbye while he regained consciousness.

However, Ireland I love, but I could not live here full time. There are many reasons, which I know people have talked about on here, but also the attitude of many to people coming back from abroad. I experience this with "friends" who I have known since childhood. I suppose I have changed over the years (in my mind I have not, I am still the same person) I never boast about my lifestyle, I never tell people what I actually do. I am lucky and the States has been very good to me affording me a lifestyle that I could never have worked for in Ireland.

Yet, when I come back "home" I sense that people think I am better than they are, I have had comments about being "too big for my boots". I am nothing of the sort. Yes I am more observant about standards of service and not afraid to voice if something is wrong when out for dinner, but never in a nasty way (i remember when I was that waiter/ess).

I hate what Ireland has become since the crash. I hate that the politicians here are just basically self promoting idiots living off the toil of others and are unaccountable. That I suppose is one thing that really gets me going, seeing them parade in the States looking for business to come here, all the while spending tax payers money as if it were theirs. That entitled class really make me angry.

I see many young Irish kids coming to the States, all with the ambition of making something of themselves. All educated, willing to work and the majority are damned fine workers. One over-riding emotion is that the States is a temporary fix, they will eventually go home.

Over the years (I left Ireland back in the 90's) I have seen people come and go, leave to Ireland. Many times I have had people work with me for years and then decide to go back to Ireland only to have a phone call again seeing if there are any jobs going again a few months later. It takes time to settle in any place. Personally, I left for Africa first and ended up in the States by accident (not by design). It took me a few years to settle here. I missed many aspects of home, but once I started to go home more often, I saw that nothing really changes, friends get on with their lives, and while visiting is great, living there full time would be boring compared with the life I have in the US.

Family are the one constant that I miss and have missed all my time while abroad. With the passing of my Dad, I now find myself over compensating with my Mam, who is not in good shape. I spend more time at home but miss my home in the States. It really is a conundrum. Once my mother goes, will I spend as much time in Ireland? I really do not think so.

Each country has it's good and bad points. With the extended periods I have spent in Ireland over the past year or so, I feel depressed with the place. I love Ireland, don't get me wrong. It is the over-riding sense of gloom that gets to me here. The lack of optimism. The sense that you are being watched all the time be-it with speed cameras or the government. It feels oppressive. While I know the US has major faults, I love the sense of freedom. That maybe an illusion, but to me it is a real sense from the moment the plane touches down.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ningnongjohn

Well by the time you get this it may be irrelevant.living in Ireland now seems to be getting more difficult.we seem to pay so much for so little, ifyou haven't bought a place my advice is to return as soon as you can. I don't know much about Melbourne but its gotta better than here currently. there are 35 other pupils in my daughters class ,there is little gym equipment, my wife and myself are working around the clock to service our mortgage, but we just seem to be getting nowhere.
    if your husband could regain employment in oz maybe you should go back, better healthcare system.
    I brought my Australian wife back here in 2007, we bought an overpriced semi d, I left a permanent job with pension. I do love my irish family and they have helped us greatly over the past 8 years .but our life is miserable, shes had enough of the rain ,the house is worth nothing , my job is at risk ,we have no pension to speak of.my eldest daughter seems to be happy but something has to change. I do miss the aussie way of life, is it as expensive now as they say it is?

good luck with your decision

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

It's very expensive mate. I mean we both work to service bills here to.

It's not a bad life though,

Advertisement