Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT SEPT 2020

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 chmoonah

Hey guys. I am looking for some study help here. Can you guys please refer to some tutors. Re-sitting in March. Also need some help around GPA calculation for admission in Irish Medical Schools. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 haileyr123

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gradmeddani

cosmo6576 wrote: »
    How old are you all? Sorry for re-asking, just curious! 27 myself

I'm 23, will be 24 for 2021 start

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cosmo6576

Seems i'm the grandmother of the group! :( I wonder if starting later in life will lead to less successful career and a more complicated home life (working longer hours when most others settling down slightly)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gradmeddani

Seems i'm the grandmother of the group! :( I wonder if starting later in life will lead to less successful career and a more complicated home life (working longer hours when most others settling down slightly)

I wouldn't see it like that. I think your career can look like whatever you want it to look like regardless of when you've started. Some people start medicine right out from school and still work all the way through and don't settle down until later while others might prioritise family. Of course our timeline will be shifted compared to those who start at 18 or 19, but I think it's completely up to you how you shape it and how you look at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ma003

I wouldn't worry! I'm in first year and am 28! A lot of people have just finished their undergrads but there are definitely people in their 30s and 40s too!! I guess it all depends on what you want your life to look like at the end of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 gem2021

Nope you’re not - I’m 28, nearly 29! Hoping for 2021 entry!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Blackboot

Worry not, I'm 38.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 cosmo6576

So, what do we reckon the cut offs will be this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 purnimasnow

Its so hard to tell. I know the GAMSAT curve shifted right last year after May 2020 sitting, and a record amount people hit the 70 mark.

Do we think there is any hope that after the September 20', and March 21' sitting that we might see points plateau? Currently have a 55 hoping to get UL, but sitting again in March.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭avalon68

I think the non-didactic style of UL will suit some people, but it strikes me as being less academic and thus i think there's some stigma around it unfortunately.

That seems to be a common misconception. Im on a PBL course in the UK. I was skeptical at first, but I really like it. In no way is it less academic, or less supported. I find it makes it easier to link topics together - for example when looking at a case you go through all of the basic science, diagnostic tests, potential treatments, drugs to use, psychosocial aspects etc. It mirrors what is being taught in lectures, you are just putting the information to use and adding more detail on top of it. There are still lectures and clinical skills classes. If anything it makes you learn your stuff better as you need to be able to discuss it within your group. A lot of medical schools in the UK use PBL in their courses now. As far as I know, when UL started the course the curriculum mirrored St Georges in London - which also likely mirrors the curriculum of many other UK medical schools.

Advertisement