Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coronovirus - Gamsat MARCH 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sbm_s

is ti just me or are some people gone a bit obsessed about booking times on proctoru? Wont we all have to get a specific time? I just looked there and there are loads of time slots still available on each day. I just picked the two earliest days as I want it over with. Very annoyed over all the changes and scheduling etc and proctoru keeps telling me my internet speed isnt good enough when their technician tells me it is. I have no motivation now i just want it all over

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

sbm_s wrote: »
    is ti just me or are some people gone a bit obsessed about booking times on proctoru? Wont we all have to get a specific time? I just looked there and there are loads of time slots still available on each day. I just picked the two earliest days as I want it over with. Very annoyed over all the changes and scheduling etc and proctoru keeps telling me my internet speed isnt good enough when their technician tells me it is. I have no motivation now i just want it all over

I'm in the same boat with the internet speed.. don't know why considering I've 5G and live in the city!? Who knows! Hopefully it will go ok anyway!

according to reddit there are others who have had the same problem. but the technician approved it so hopefully it will be ok.

on a lighter note.. where are you all planning/hoping to go in Sept/Oct if all goes ahead?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 markocokram

RCSI - hopefully the admission scores stay the same/drop a point or two due to less international students and less demand in general due to covid 😅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

RCSI for me too, but I only have one other choice (UCD) cos I can't afford to move out of Dublin.

Does anyone think fewer International students might mean higher fees?

Does anyone think fewer International students might mean higher fees?[/quote]

No way that would be crazy, they can't do that. Plus the internationals pay a lot more I believe. If it comes to it I'd say they'll just fill from Irish people

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Hopeful GEM

I'd love a place in RCSI too. Do you guys really think the points will stay the same or even drop? Feels like I'm kinda at the cusp of missing out on a place so I'm really counting on the drop haha. Especially given we have to wait longer to get an offer this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 galwaypharmer

Hopefully the points drop, it seems logical that they will given the fact so many colleges are cancelling Erasmus programmes and that, so hopefully there will be more Irish places available in each college

Hopefully the points drop, it seems logical that they will given the fact so many colleges are cancelling Erasmus programmes and that, so hopefully there will be more Irish places available in each college

Have colleges really cancelled Erasmus?

• Advertisement

Don't think they'll up the number of places tbh. I emailed RCSI Admissions about it and they said they're gonna keep the same number of EU places which is what we're all up against :(

Don't think they'll up the number of places tbh. I emailed RCSI Admissions about it and they said they're gonna keep the same number of EU places which is what we're all up against :(

Oh well- hopefully points stay around the same anyways:o

They didn't mention non-EU explicitly so?

They didn't mention non-EU explicitly so?
    They mentioned specifically EU (30) and Non-EU (52) unfortunately. I'm hopeful they might decide otherwise later on in the middle of all this given the situation here and in other countries. Doubt it'll all just be magically okay come September across the globe so might be a few more deferrals if anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sccgmsccgm

Hey everyone,

Just wondering what computer devices people are using for the exam in May?
    My laptop has a 13 inch screen which I don't think will be ideal but I don't really have any other options.
    Are others doing it on laptops or do people have desktop devices?

Today an article came out in RTE saying that more places will go to Irish students given 80% of international students won't be able to make it to first year this year. There's hope yet of a points drop! Fingers crossed now :)

That would be a real silver lining after the heartache of this wretched exam. It would be quite irresponsible to allow international students in

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Anyone know if RCSI or UCD have officially pushed back the starting date for the Fall semester? I know some other colleges have but I can't find any info on those two.

Planemo wrote: »
    Anyone know if RCSI or UCD have officially pushed back the starting date for the Fall semester? I know some other colleges have but I can't find any info on those two.
    UCD definitely haven't, they're quite focused on the end of semesters rn. They're only releasing final results of that 14th of July, unlike RCSI which have pretty much finished with those and have results. What UCD have said is that orientation is later in the trimester which is a hint at first years starting later which may or may not affect us, depending on how UCD wants to do it because usually GEMs are put in with first years in the same orientation. Some colleges are doing a blended first semester so I wonder will RCSI and UCD follow that approach as an attempt to hold onto some international students

Today an article came out in RTE saying that more places will go to Irish students given 80% of international students won't be able to make it to first year this year. There's hope yet of a points drop! Fingers crossed now :)

Hopeful GEM, would you happen to have a link to that article by any chance!? What college are you hoping for yourself?

• Advertisement

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    Hopeful GEM, would you happen to have a link to that article by any chance!? What college are you hoping for yourself?
    Of course, here is the article here!

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0503/1136316-covid-19-universities/?fbclid=IwAR28vD4v012jsSKfAxMJRFbUIT3H4qjGMG2YCgHOeIRP-vVIF84A8-SoT-Y

Dying for a place in RCSI! What about yourself? :)

Of all the courses, graduate medicine has the most international students, especially Canadians. It makes sense that there has to be more places this year for Irish students, with the sacrifices the whole world is making, its highly doubtful that travel to that extent between Continents will be allowed this year. RCSI is so internationally dependent, it must be a worrying time for them.

Oh I have no doubt it's terrifying for them, but at least the government is stepping in by funding more places for domestic students. They contribute about 10 grand per place per EU student for GEM so it's still a big investment. But no doubt they'll find a way to make up for it during the summer with a Summer School programme or admit more internationals the following year

Very interesting... thank yooou!
    UCC, here.. Went to the RCSI open day and it looks amazing there but just wouldn't be able to afford renting/living in Dublin for 4 years while studying and paying the astronomical fees!

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    Very interesting... thank yooou!
    UCC, here.. Went to the RCSI open day and it looks amazing there but just wouldn't be able to afford renting/living in Dublin for 4 years while studying and paying the astronomical fees!
    I'm from Dublin so I'd save a fortune staying at home! Really hope you get UCC :)

Of all the courses, graduate medicine has the most international students, especially Canadians. It makes sense that there has to be more places this year for Irish students, with the sacrifices the whole world is making, its highly doubtful that travel to that extent between Continents will be allowed this year. RCSI is so internationally dependent, it must be a worrying time for them.

UL will be in the same boat.. they have a total of 140 places in which (I think) approximately 40-50 are allocated to international students. I highly doubt so many will be travelling over here given the current circumstances. SO I am hoping they open up more places in UL for Irish applicants

how is everyone's study going?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 humboldt

Does anyone else think that if the colleges don't have enough international students coming in they'll both increase Irish places (lowering points) but will also raise our fees significantly to make up the shortfall? Personally, I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the prospect to be honest.

(and fees have been going up by nonsignificant amounts each year anyway ie. UCD has had an increase of over €950 yearly tuition over the last two years, with expected increases of 4% each year)

humboldt wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that if the colleges don't have enough international students coming in they'll both increase Irish places (lowering points) but will also raise our fees significantly to make up the shortfall? Personally, I'm not exactly jumping for joy at the prospect to be honest.

(and fees have been going up by nonsignificant amounts each year anyway ie. UCD has had an increase of over €950 yearly tuition over the last two years, with expected increases of 4% each year)
    I mean they have already released the fees for this year and if the government pitches in, which is what they would have to do to even be able to increase the number of Irish places, there would be no reason to up our fees and they can't make such an ad hoc change because that would violate the terms and conditions on their part. They set out the fees early in the year so people can know what they're up against but if they suddenly changing it, students have a right to opt out of the college on the basis of this. They can only up the fees when you are already in the course and going for the following year, and even then you have to have already agreed to the higher fees, i.e. the 4%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 campmed

Has there been any news on the September GAMSAT exam, whether it’s online or in person? I’ve applied for undergraduate medicine and unsure if I’ll be able to get in with the recent turn of events.

Advertisement