Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor schemes & realignments

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is there any particular reason theres so much resurfacing going on at the moment around the country? Off the top of my head I've seen resurfacing on the N14, N15, N17, N4 and N2 over the past few weeks and for the most part I never noticed issues with any of the sections being resurfaced. Seems like a waste of money that could have been spent on actual improvements to the roads
    A lot of them would be either reactive or preventative maintenance. The national road network has a backlog of maintenance requirements that are only being fulfilled now due to funding shortages during the recession. Once a steady state of maintenance is reached, more money will then be funnelled into new capital projects (starting 2019).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I suspect preventative maintenance in most cases, just speaking from memory as I've never taken any notice of the surface at any of the sections but they never stood out as needing replacement. Heres where the N15 is being resurfaced for example, looks no worse than any other decent stretch of road in the country

https://goo.gl/maps/maYpWfspsRJ2

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Is there any particular reason theres so much resurfacing going on at the moment around the country? Off the top of my head I've seen resurfacing on the N14, N15, N17, N4 and N2 over the past few weeks and for the most part I never noticed issues with any of the sections being resurfaced. Seems like a waste of money that could have been spent on actual improvements to the roads

Shh! Don't say anything about it or they might stop doing it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭roadmaster

spacetweek wrote: »
    Shh! Don't say anything about it or they might stop doing it!

Dont worry with the crap weather back they will find money to start surfacing works all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

yep, most of that work happened in the late 90s and early 2000s bit by bit.

Just a pity that the part of the road through Fermanagh is still as bad as ever was from the Cavan border at Legakelly/Castle Saunderson to the first time it switches into Monaghan

The road network in co Fermanagh is very poor in my experience. The continuation of the N3 through to Donegal by Lough Erne is woeful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

marno21 wrote: »

How much of the road is being upgraded? A couple of KMs max, presumably?

2km or so

2km or so

Thanks Marno. :-)

Do we know is it type 1 or type 2 SC?

Are they not started on those for the 4 months? Or is that all just site preparation stuff? Seem to recall a large enough compound with lots of cars working there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Looks like the whole length of the Monaghan bypass is being resurfaced now as well, they're also digging a trench and laying terram all along the verge on both sides, maybe widening the shoulder..?

Looks like the whole length of the Monaghan bypass is being resurfaced now as well, they're also digging a trench and laying terram all along the verge on both sides, maybe widening the shoulder..?

Be nice if it was being 2+2'd.....

I guess one can always dream.

This will become a distributor road once the 2+2 N2 from Castleblayney to NI border is done, anyway, but I can still see both the short and longer-term benefits of making the existing N2 Monaghan bypass 2+2 DC.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Be nice if it was being 2+2'd.....

I guess one can always dream.

This will become a distributor road once the 2+2 N2 from Castleblayney to NI border is done, anyway, but I can still see both the short and longer-term benefits of making the existing N2 Monaghan bypass 2+2 DC.

No way is there a point in having the existing bypass a 2+2 when it'll be replaced with another 2+2. Traffic levels are insignificant around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

spacetweek wrote: »
    No way is there a point in having the existing bypass a 2+2 when it'll be replaced with another 2+2. Traffic levels are insignificant around there.

Dunno... monaghan gets pretty packed sometimes

The Monaghan bypass is too narrow for 2+2. It's also too short for 2+2 to have much of a use and the roundabout in the middle shows it was always planned as a distributor road rather than a bypass.

The Monaghan bypass is too narrow for 2+2. It's also too short for 2+2 to have much of a use and the roundabout in the middle shows it was always planned as a distributor road rather than a bypass.

Hmm, fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

It's a pity they couldn't have built it the same as the Carrickmacross bypass instead of sticking 3 roundabouts on it.

N70 Kilderry scheme in Kerry is really taking shape with the alignment in place now. Just tarmac required on the offline section and the two tie ins to be completed.

I would imagine this will be complete or close to complete by Q1 2019 with the new road open for the 2019 summer season.

To say this is a major improvement on the existing route is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Been driving the n25 a lot lately between cork and Waterford.Cork to midelton is good wide road and most of the route to Waterford, obviously Castlematyr and Killagh youghal bridge and a few km beyond would have to be bypassed/ widened.
    My point is would a 2+2 dual carriageway be possible to be build as there's enough space with hard shoulder/grass verges on either side of the road.
    No cpo,s needed it would be cost effective and the traffic volume doesn't really need a motorway. Thoughts ???

wingfo wrote: »
    Been driving the n25 a lot lately between cork and Waterford.Cork to midelton is good wide road and most of the route to Waterford, obviously Castlematyr and Killagh youghal bridge and a few km beyond would have to be bypassed/ widened.
    My point is would a 2+2 dual carriageway be possible to be build as there's enough space with hard shoulder/grass verges on either side of the road.
    No cpo,s needed it would be cost effective and the traffic volume doesn't really need a motorway. Thoughts ???

Too many side entrances on the existing road, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 wingfo

Carrigtohill to Middleton had a lot of side entrances as well but they worked around that

Carrigtohill to Middleton had a lot of side entrances as well but they worked around that

Yes, but it is a low-standard DC, and the modern standard 2+2 Type 2 DC won't have central reservation crossing points so it wouldn't be acceptable to locals who may have to drive for miles just to reach a roubdabout or Compact GSJ, for example, just to turn around.

Some of this has been said by BelfastVanMan but..

This is a major issue with a lot of national primary routes that are up for upgrade. A lot of national routes were widened to various standards of wide single carriageway, and these have functioned well but do have quite a few limitations.

Some of these were built as greenfield routes, mainly since the mid 90s. These can easily be upgraded to 2+2, a good example is the N25 around Kilmacthomas and the Youghal bypass, these are grade seperated single carriageways. The issue though with the rest of the route, is that although it is wide, it has frequent accesses and side junctions. These houses would require CPO and the junctions would require bridging.

I think it may be worthwhile for TII to retrofit some WS2 offline schemes as 2+2 such as the Kilmacthomas/Youghal sections as above, the Ballyshannon/Bundoran bypass, Jamestown/Drumsna bypass amongst others.

Carrigtwohill-Midleton was built by building a new carraigeway alongside the existing carriageway. It's a much lower standard than the N25 East Cork Parkway between Carrigtwohill and Dunkettle, and had median gaps until these were sealed. The Carrigtwohill-Midleton section is to be upgraded in the National Development Plan due to safety issues with the existing alignment.

Between Enniskillen and Derrylin on the main Cavan road there’s a small stretch of realignment that’s like as it’s been abandoned (no funding presumably?). Pity as it looks half completed and the road and surface are dreadful alongside it.

Ratoath outter relief road gone to tender due back shortly

I was heading down to tullamore yesterday and outside clonmellon on the N52 there was major survey work going on the lads where putting pins in every 20 meters with a blue and yellow cables being connected. Any ideas what the survey was for?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭serfboard

roadmaster wrote: »
    I was heading down to tullamore yesterday and outside clonmellon on the N52 there was major survey work going on the lads where putting pins in every 20 meters with a blue and yellow cables being connected. Any ideas what the survey was for?
    Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I'm using your contribution as an excuse for a rant!

IMO, the Tullamore bypass is an unforgivably sh1tty bypass - single lane, with roundabouts every few hundred meters. I wouldn't mind if this was built in the 1980s, but it wasn't - it was completed in 2009, when we (I presumed) had long learned the lessons of underpowered bypasses.

What should it have been? A 2+2 Grade-Separated DC, if not all the way to the M6 (which it should have been - the 2017 AADT on the portion to the M6 is 13K), then at least on the actual bypass itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Does anyone here know what the story is with the roadworks on the R755 Kilmacanogue Roundwood toad near Calary is?

Work seemed to start OK, then went dead for several months before being resumed again recently. Now, the old section of roadway that had been dug up has been reinstated with fresh tarmac and white lines, and the works appear to have ground to a halt again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,263 ✭✭✭alias no.9

serfboard wrote: »
    Sorry, I can't answer your question, but I'm using your contribution as an excuse for a rant!

IMO, the Tullamore bypass is an unforgivably sh1tty bypass - single lane, with roundabouts every few hundred meters. I wouldn't mind if this was built in the 1980s, but it wasn't - it was completed in 2009, when we (I presumed) had long learned the lessons of underpowered bypasses.

What should it have been? A 2+2 Grade-Separated DC, if not all the way to the M6 (which it should have been - the 2017 AADT on the portion to the M6 is 13K), then at least on the actual bypass itself.

You might almost think the local politicians driving the scheme were viewing it as an opportunity to open up development land rather than a bypass.

Advertisement